• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters Who Have Less Support Than You'd Expect

Oddball

Smash Lord
You forgot to leave the links for the Toad, Sephiroth and Lara Croft threads.
Yeah, I meant to add those. Oversight on my part.

Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
Sephiroth (Final Fantasy)
Toad (Mario)

Of course that doesn't mean anything if nobody goes to those threads and supports them.

And Neku, Octoling and Elma (even though they’re also in my sig)
I can't be expected to add everybody now, can I? Personally, I'm not surprised that those characters don't have tons of support, but if you are, feel free to make your own list.

Chrono

there’s a group of people that consider throne trigger the best game of all time. But by now we have gotten so many JRPG sword wielders I never see Chrono mentioned
Which is a shame, because his game WAS legendary and he could easily have moves that would set him apart from every other sworduser.

He doesn't even hold his sword like anybody else.

whitesnake

Smash Apprentice
Toad: Because he is literally the biggest most iconic Nintendo character not yet in the roster.

Dixie Kong: She is just as iconic as K. Rool yet she doesn't have the popularity he did. She was the co-protagonist of DKC2 and the main protagonist in her own game DKC3. She is just iconic as her follow Rare brothers and sister K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie yet she still isn't as popular as them now that they're in. She deserves a slot just as much as them. She feels like a big missing puzzle to the roster.

Ryu Hayabusa/Bill Rizer/Lance Bean/Arthur/Battletoads: All iconic NES characters probably the biggest NES characters not yet in the roster, yet all lack popularity in the Smash community despite how they such icons to the NES which was one of the most successful video game consoles in history and one of the most influential and iconic video game console period.

Lara Croft: Literally has the Guinness World Record for being the most iconic female in gaming. Should I say more why it's weird she isn't more popular?

Tails/Chun-Li: Tails the 2nd most iconic co-protagonist in gaming only behind Luigi and Chun-Li literally the most iconic fighting game chick in gaming. Why are they not more popular? That's right, the only way 3rd party franchises can get a 2nd rep is through Echos says the imaginary fan rule and these icons are certainly not Echo material.

Dr. Eggman/Sephiroth/M. Bison: Literally the most iconic villains in gaming not yet in the game. All lack popularity in Smash just like Tails and Chun-Li despite how iconic they're to gaming.
This is a great list. “Iconic” is hard to define but I full agree these are the types of characters that should be in the game

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Hold up.

This is a bit silly.

People are coming in to say "I'm surprised this character doesn't get much support. Other people are coming in to agree with that. Let's actually do something about that.

Here. Here's the LINKS for the characters I'm surprised don't get more support. Feel free to drop by the topic and support them. Post a move set for them. Stage design. Or just say that you think having them in the game would be really awesome.

Arthur (Ghosts 'n Goblins)
Battletoads
Billy and Jimmy Lee (Double Dragon)
Bill Rizer (Contra)
Cecil (Final Fantasy)
Chun Li (Street Fighter)
Crono (Chrono Trigger)
Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong)
Eggman (Sonic)
Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
Terra (Final Fantasy)
Tails (Sonic the Hedgehog)

I would have put a link for M. Bison as well, but apparently nobody ever made a topic for him.

Also here's the two support threads made by me. Just because. I can't say I'm surprised Pious doesn't get a lot of support, but I would have expected more people would back the Elite Beat Agents.
Elite Beat Agents General Support Thread
Pious Augustus (Eternal Darkness)
You forgot the links for Krystal and Impa.
Of course I saw your other post so I’ll do them myself.

Krystal (Star Fox)
Impa (The Legend of Zelda)

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
... Okay, I went to the Battletoads support thread intending to show support.

Apparently it only had one single post and that was from 2018. I think we might be better off just making a new topic for the 'Toads. Anybody want to?
We could talk about the new Battletoads game coming out this year on that thread.

whitesnake

Smash Apprentice
We could talk about the new Battletoads game coming out this year on that thread.
i think there is another thread with
I agree with you about Captain Toad I mean yes he has a decent number of supporters but it doesn't even compare to Waluigi or Geno. I mean to me, and this is a bold statement, he is the biggest Nintendo character not in Smash. He's had his own game and has been featured in basically every Mario game (counting Toad and Captain Toad as the same person).
If toad were not already part of Peach’s moveset I think he would be in

Also I associate toad more with Super Mario 2 than peach... he would need the radish throw as part of his moveset and that is taken

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Given to popularity of Minecraft, the next biggest game series of all time is.. GTA I think? I'm surprised I haven't seen more people ask for a GTA character sincerely.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Given to popularity of Minecraft, the next biggest game series of all time is.. GTA I think? I'm surprised I haven't seen more people ask for a GTA character sincerely.
I don't know if this answers your question, but when I see people talking about GTA in Smash, they seem to have a hard time coming up with a moveset. That might have something to do with it.

Oddball

Smash Lord
You could give them basic thugs moves and weapon attacks, but that's not really what GTA is about and it's hard to work stealing cars into a fighting game moveset.

UserKev

Smash Champion
You could give them basic thugs moves and weapon attacks, but that's not really what GTA is about and it's hard to work stealing cars into a fighting game moveset.
Other than traditional punches, kicks and a baseball bat, I can't think of anything either.

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
An Overwatch character.

With how popular it is (or was, depending on how you look at things), i haven't seen a lot of people actually vouch for it, maybe they think it a pc character is too out of reach ?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
An Overwatch character.

With how popular it is (or was, depending on how you look at things), i haven't seen a lot of people actually vouch for it, maybe they think it a pc character is too out of reach ?
It helps that Sakurai said he hasn't played much of it. And we aren't getting the biggest third-parties, except for one of them only in Japan.

Last edited:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Sometimes feels like I’m the only one who wants:
Saki Amamiya : maybe a few others but definitely not that many
Neku Sakuraba : definitely a request but I feel like it’s just a substitute for Sora
Chell : same with Saki, except I see her a tiny bit more
Kinect Adventures Avatar : there is not a single doubt in my mind that nobody would’ve even thought of this if I didn’t exist

Stormy Rain

Smash Rookie
Q*bert, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q*bert
He is one of the most popular characters on Arcade and appeared on the SNES and Game Boy Color. He appeared in Wreck It Ralph and appeared in Super Smash Bros fan games such as Super Smash Bros Crusade. But for some reason not too many people are advocating for him to appear in Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

Fei Fong Wong, the first protagonist of the Xeno games, he comes from one of the best selling Xeno games of the Xeno series, a cult classic and could be an unusual combination of being an RPG character with fighting game inputs like Ryu or Ken or Terry. Along with Super transformation or using giant mechs, and an excellent Soundtrack. They did held a concert about it that was sold out. Fei appeared in some other games such as Final Fantasy Brave Exvius and Figureheads and have figurines based on him. But not too many care for him to be in Smash.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I always thought Terra Branford would have gotten more support as a character. The most prominent playable character of the most famous Nintendo Final Fantasy game, the latter of which is neck and neck with Chrono Trigger as the most critically acclaimed SNES JRPG of all time, all while having a distinctive abilities and loads of potential moves... and the most I see is something along the lines of "Oh yeah, she's be cool."

Granted she had the bad fortune of belonging to the game right before the breakout megaseller that was FF VII, but given how beloved VI is, she feels like she'd fit in Smash even better than Cloud.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Dr. Eggman has so many reasons to be in the game - 3rd party villain, underrepresented series, tons of crazy and threatening gadgets, recognisable by all, and a major part of all generations of Sonic - I imagine people don't request him much because he isn't really a cool or stylish character like Knuckles or Shadow.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
An Overwatch character.

I think any Overwatch support got scared off because of the Hearthstone Player banning fiasco and anything Blizzard being controversial.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
For me, Celica as a unique fighter. Whenever that kind of conversation comes up nowadays, it’s always for Celica as a :ultrobin: Echo, when Sakurai could base her fighting style off of Gaiden if he wanted. Which is exactly what I did:
Intro: Same FE character intro, but with red smoke.

Notable Palette Swaps: Mae, Boey, Saber, Conrad, Witch Celica

Alternate Costumes: Gaiden Celica, Awakening Celica

Idle 1/Stance: Celica's idle stance from Shadows of Valentia.

Idle 2: Celica puts her left hand on her sword and points it upward

Walk: Her walking animation from Shadows of Valentia.
Dash: Her dashing animation from Shadows of Valentia.

Damage: Her damage animation from Shadows of Valentia.
Jump: Jumps and double jumps similarly to Robin, but more delicately.
Crouch: Celica crouches with her sword pointing down to the ground.

Weapon of Choice: The Beloved Zofia, an upgraded version of Celica's Golden Dagger.

Jab: Celica swings once to the left, then a second time to the right (7%, small knockback)
Forward+A: Celica jabs her sword forward (9%, small knockback)
Down+A: Celica swings her sword down to the ground (7%, small knockback)
Up+A: Celica swings upwards (6%, small knockback)

Air+A: Celica emits an Aura around herself (9%, small knockback; .8% recoil)
Air Forward+A: Celica slices the air with an arc of wind (11%, OK
knockback; .5% recoil)
Air Back + A: Celica shoots a small fireball behind herself (8%, small knockback; .4% recoil)
Air Up+A: Celica emits remnants of her Seraphim spell above herself (12%, OK knockback; .5% recoil)
Air Down+A: Celica amplifies her sword with Thunder magic and swings in a downward spiral (11%, OK knockback; .6% recoil)

Smash Moves
Forward+A: Celica slashes upward as fire erupts from her sword (14%, OK knockback; .7% recoil)
Up+A: Celica casts an Aura circle above her (16%, OK knockback; 1.2% recoil). The animation is loosely based off Aura’s animation from Gaiden, but aesthetically based off its appearance in Shadows of Valentia.
Down+A: Celica slashes in a right turn 360o downward slash as wind appears from both sides of her (10%, medium knockback; .8% recoil)

Dash Attack: Her running finish animation from Shadows of Valentia (9%, small knockback)
Edge Attack: Celica swiftly stabs JUST above the ground (10%, OK knockback)

Grab: Celica grabs with her open hand and cast Nosferatu.
Pummel: Celica uses Nosferatu to raise the opponent's damage and restore her own (5%; 2.8% healed off)
F-Throw: Celica pushes back the opponent with a burst of magic (8%, OK knockback; .3% recoil)
U-Throw: Celica throws the opponent upwards with a small gust of air (11%, OK knockback; .6% recoil)
D-Throw: Celica calls down Thunder from above (12%, OK knockback; .7% recoil)
B-Throw: Celica throws the opponent behind her and attacks with Fire (9%, small knockback; .5% recoil)

Special Moves
B : Ragnarok; a chargeable Fire that attacks in two stages. In the first stage, by pressing B once, Celica summons a normal fireball in her direction (14%, OK knockback; 1.2% recoil) In the second stage, by holding B for a second, Celica casts a bigger and slightly slower fireball that hits five times (25% medium knockback; 1.7% recoil). The animation is based off the one in Gaiden for when Celica casts magic.

B + Forwards : Seraphim; Celica launches an angelic light in front of her that goes faster when the button is held, but has a slightly longer startup (16%, OK knockback; 1.4%). The animation for casting it is based off of the one in Shadows of Valentia.

B + Up : Excalibur; Celica summons a tornado below herself that carries her VERY high, despite not letting Celica move horizontally until she enters free fall (18%, OK knockback). The animation for casting it is loosely based off of Mystery of the Emblem.

B + Down : Mila’s Turnwheel/Foudroyant; Celica activates Mila’s Turnwheel, which reverses an opponent's attack completely. It recharges after every use, so Celica will instead, in this case, amplify her sword with Thunder magic. When hit by physical attacks, Celica swings in somewhat tight range (20%, medium knockback; 1.7% recoil). When hit by projectiles, Celica swings and creates a Thunder arc that travels quickly, goes a decently long range, and hits the opponent six times (18%, OK knockback; 1.4% recoil)

Final Smash: Ragnarok Ω; Celica, as she says “Grant me strength!”, stops time with Mila’s Turnwheel. The brand on her right hand glows, and she summons a long stream of fire (23%). The stream circles around trapped opponents, and Celica turns it into a dome that bursts with fire (39%; 62% total, far knockback; 5.6% recoil)

Taunts:

1: Celica loosely mimics her official artwork pose from Shadows of Valentia.
2: “I am yours to shape, Mother Mila.” Celica holds her sword up in the air.
1+2: “I fight to protect what is dear.” Celica loosely mimics her pose from Gaiden.

Winposes:

1: “All thanks to the Mother.” Celica's Priestess victory animation from Shadows of Valentia.
2: “May the Earth Mother watch over us…” Celica performs the conclusion to her victory animation from Warriors.
3: “Mila has seen us through safely.” Celica's Rigain victory animation from Shadows of Valentia.

Icon: Falchion

Boxing Ring Title: The Exiled Priestess

Victory Music: youtu.be/o0l6BSZURKE

Kirby Hat: Celica’s hair.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Dr. Eggman has so many reasons to be in the game - 3rd party villain, underrepresented series, tons of crazy and threatening gadgets, recognisable by all, and a major part of all generations of Sonic - I imagine people don't request him much because he isn't really a cool or stylish character like Knuckles or Shadow.
Completely agree. I don't really see what Tails, Shadow, or Knuckles bring moveset-wise over Eggman. Eggman has so much potential, you could have him float like Peach if you put him in the Eggmobile, even!

whitesnake

Smash Apprentice
I always thought Terra Branford would have gotten more support as a character. The most prominent playable character of the most famous Nintendo Final Fantasy game, the latter of which is neck and neck with Chrono Trigger as the most critically acclaimed SNES JRPG of all time, all while having a distinctive abilities and loads of potential moves... and the most I see is something along the lines of "Oh yeah, she's be cool."

Granted she had the bad fortune of belonging to the game right before the breakout megaseller that was FF VII, but given how beloved VI is, she feels like she'd fit in Smash even better than Cloud.
Agree mostly. the issue with her game is that the lead role is split amongst different characters and it’s not clear who is the most popular character from the game. Terra, Celes, Sabin and Locke could all be viewed as most popular.

Personally I’d like to see Sabin (tons to do with his moveset... wrestler who uses magic is very unique) or Kefka

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm constantly confused that we don't see more support for Lara Croft (who is often not even listed among Square Enix characters- despite heading a franchise that is more known to the mass media).

Additionally, I don't understand the lack of support for Frogger. As if people dont know how influential and high selling his game actually was. He isnt just iconic, and unique, but actually is a character- which is quite odd for the older games of its time.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
It doesn't help that in certain circles Fortnite just feels overexposed to people, which probably leaves them less inclined to have it featured even more in a major title like Smash.

Last edited:

zumaddy

Smash Ace
1) As someone who always thought Krystal would make the most sense as the next SF rep, I was surprised just how much support fell off for her after Brawl. Now that she's an AT the lack of support is more understandable, but pre-Smash 4 it seemed about half her supports moved on.

2) Most people want either Waddle Dee or Marx but there's barely any support for Susie from Planet Robobot. I suppose people just don't want to get invested in a newer Kirby character if there's a past pattern of modern Kirby not getting a huge focus.

3) Cranky Kong would be an awesome DK choice imo but people seem laser focused on Dixie.

Last edited:
Top Bottom