• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters Who Have Less Support Than You'd Expect

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Is there anybody here that thinks it's a absolute crime that Wonder-Red has been left to the wayside? Anyone at all?
It's absolutely disappointing since he has plenty to make a fun fighter with, but his game didn't fare too well so it makes sense he would be overlooked.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Rayman is the big one because I feel like his support freakin' evaporated after Kingdom Battle came out. He went from being one of the most wanted third party characters to someone who is just sort of brought up every once in a while. Tetra and Impa are others but I feel like Skull Kid is largely to blame for that. It probably also has to do with the strong possibility that they would be echoes/semi clones of Toon Link and Sheik respectively too. Finally, despite being huge in Japan, Yokai Watch doesn't really have Smash support anywhere. I personally think Jibanyan would be a perfect fit for Smash but there's hardly any community pull for him.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'd actually like to see Wonderful 101 have another shot with a port on the Switch. Not sure if I'm ready for him in Smash just yet...is he first party or third?
3rd party. Developed by Platinum games and published by Nintendo

Last edited:

Veggi

Smash Champion
I've said this in different threads, but I'll say it again: Style Savvy rep.

I'm talking about a recent, relatively popular first-party series that originated in the DS era (which lacks playable reps in Smash), that has made four games thus far that caters towards a demographic that Smash doesn't try to cater to. In other words, Smash would benefit from Style Savvy and vice versa. Moreover, Style Savvy managed to get two songs and a trophy in Smash, which isn't a simple feat. Style Savvy is all about character customization and costumes, which was a big part of the previous Smash entry. Additionally, a Style Savvy rep would most likely have a fun and unique playstyle because they are a non-combatant.

But nooo. The fans want some obscure character from some game that came out over a decade or two ago because they look cool or something. That's not a jab at anyone, but it's mind-boggling to me how little support Style Savvy has when it checks almost every arbitrary qualification for character representation imaginable. First party? Recent? Relevant? Offers something unique? Has been featured in Smash Bros. in some way previously? Is from a series that doesn't have any playable reps yet? All of the above.
I'm surprised I found another person who wants a Style Savvy rep. I never played the games but my friend was really into it.

Is there anybody here that thinks it's a absolute crime that Wonder-Red has been left to the wayside? Anyone at all?
That surprises me too. Wonderful 101 as a whole is really underrated and Wonder Red is a really charming. Surprised he doesn't get more attention.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Definitely seconding this regarding Mallow. Everyone tries to justify Geno's potetnial inclusion as 'SMRPG was really really important' but then there's absolutely zero love for Mallow who is Geno's equivalent.
Seen more love for Boshi, although we can chalk that up to Zinith Zinith being super passionate about him.

Springman, and even Rex get far less love than I'd have assumed.

Isabelle got far less love than was due, but she actually made it in so I'm not sure if she counts or not now to this thread.
I'm just getting started...

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
I'm surprised I found another person who wants a Style Savvy rep. I never played the games but my friend was really into it.

That surprises me too. Wonderful 101 as a whole is really underrated and Wonder Red is a really charming. Surprised he doesn't get more attention.
The tragic thing was that there was a campaign for him to get in during the smash 4 era, but now everyone has just up and seemingly left, just because the iron isn't hot anymore. Did Bayonetta getting in take some of his appeal away?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I can sort of see that with Wonder Red. Though the game itself didn't sell a ton of copies, so maybe he didn't garner enough fans like his Capcom counterpart Viewtiful Joe did to get in TvC and MvC3.

Rayman I agree on. You'd think getting in as a trophy would bolster up fans, but it didn't, maybe because of that Rabbids game. I don't think many people would mind him, not my first choice, but the guy's pretty popular, so I hope his fans keep supporting him.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I'm kind of mind boggled Wart's support is still growing. He's an infamous and an exceptional Mario character.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Poochy and Shake King, two underrated characters that no-one brings up for a 2nd Yoshi and Wario rep.
Also those 2 are some of my most wanted fighters.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Toad: Because he is literally the biggest most iconic Nintendo character not yet in the roster.

Dixie Kong: She is just as iconic as K. Rool yet she doesn't have the popularity he did. She was the co-protagonist of DKC2 and the main protagonist in her own game DKC3. She is just iconic as her follow Rare brothers and sister K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie yet she still isn't as popular as them now that they're in. She deserves a slot just as much as them. She feels like a big missing puzzle to the roster.

Ryu Hayabusa/Bill Rizer/Lance Bean/Arthur/Battletoads: All iconic NES characters probably the biggest NES characters not yet in the roster, yet all lack popularity in the Smash community despite how they such icons to the NES which was one of the most successful video game consoles in history and one of the most influential and iconic video game console period.

Lara Croft: Literally has the Guinness World Record for being the most iconic female in gaming. Should I say more why it's weird she isn't more popular?

Tails/Chun-Li: Tails the 2nd most iconic co-protagonist in gaming only behind Luigi and Chun-Li literally the most iconic fighting game chick in gaming. Why are they not more popular? That's right, the only way 3rd party franchises can get a 2nd rep is through Echos says the imaginary fan rule and these icons are certainly not Echo material.

Dr. Eggman/Sephiroth/M. Bison: Literally the most iconic villains in gaming not yet in the game. All lack popularity in Smash just like Tails and Chun-Li despite how iconic they're to gaming.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Neku Sakuraba - people prefer Geno and 2B to him in terms of another Square rep. (Sora doesn’t count, he’s technically Disney)

Elma - people prefer Rex to her, never mind that the latter literally got the Chrom Smash 4 hand wave of “he’ll get his chance another day”... maybe not those exact same words, but the intent was understood imo. Plus, even though his costume was made before pass 2 was announced, I doubt they’d go back just to revisit him when Elma’s right there.

Octoling - honestly, ppl just sleeping on my Octo babies in general. How can you say no to hearing Fly Octo Fly in Smash??

UserKev

Smash Champion
Dixie Kong: She is just as iconic as K. Rool yet she doesn't have the popularity he did. She was the co-protagonist of DKC2 and the main protagonist in her own game DKC3. She is just iconic as her follow Rare brothers and sister K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie yet she still isn't as popular as them now that they're in. She deserves a slot just as much as them. She feels like a big missing puzzle to the roster.
Um, Dixie Kong is pretty decently discussed, her topic is usually on the front page of Newcomer Speculation and noticeable. For Dixie, its just more of a waiting game, honestly. Her support has long since been established and basically reliable.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Um, Dixie Kong is pretty decently discussed, her topic is usually on the front page of Newcomer Speculation and noticeable. For Dixie, its just more of a waiting game, honestly. Her support has long since been established and basically reliable.
Dixie is popular but she is not K. Rool/Banjo & Kazooie levels popular which she should be.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Dixie is popular but she is not K. Rool/Banjo & Kazooie levels popular which she should be.
If we're discussing DK newcomers, she's inevitably the first character that comes to mind. I say she's doing pretty ok, honestly.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If we're discussing DK newcomers, she's inevitably the first character that comes to mind. I say she's doing pretty ok, honestly.
Maybe by Smash 6 she will have that large crowd behind her like K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie had. I predict Dixie will gain a popularity boost by Smash 6 if she isn't in by than.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Maybe by Smash 6 she will have that large crowd behind her like K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie had. I predict Dixie will gain a popularity boost by Smash 6 if she isn't in by than.
I think it's possible that they are saving characters like her, Walugi, Isaac for next Smash.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think it's possible that they are saving characters like her, Walugi, Isaac for next Smash.
Me too. I think Dixie, Waluigi, Bandana Dee, Shantae, Isaac, and Ashley will all be the talk of the town when the next game comes around if non of them are in by than.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Me too. I think Dixie, Waluigi, Bandana Dee, Shantae, Isaac, and Ashley will all be the talk of the town when the next game comes around if non of them are in by than.
I think people are thinking too far ahead when they're speculating about Smash 6. You do remember statements about it being 10 years away, right?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In any case, it would help if we get any games that come out in the interim to justify promoting any of those characters in the same Smash entry. Otherwise, they may not go out of their way doing them as long as there are still characters that aren't presently in Ultimate in any form. Old habits die hard.

The next general Direct, whenever it does drop, could at least give us a general idea of what to expect depending on the series announcements. And finally give Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition an official release date, at the same time.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Tails/Chun-Li: Tails the 2nd most iconic co-protagonist in gaming only behind Luigi and Chun-Li literally the most iconic fighting game chick in gaming. Why are they not more popular? That's right, the only way 3rd party franchises can get a 2nd rep is through Echos says the imaginary fan rule and these icons are certainly not Echo material.

Dr. Eggman/Sephiroth/M. Bison: Literally the most iconic villains in gaming not yet in the game. All lack popularity in Smash just like Tails and Chun-Li despite how iconic they're to gaming.
I'd add other FF protagonists like Terra and Cecil to this list as well, since you included both protagonists and villains for Street Fighter and Sonic but only included villains for Final Fantasy. I'm shocked considering how iconic FF 4-6 are among the SNES library that they're not more popular.

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I guess Agumon counts. Despite large support thread here, he is not mentioned often. I guess it's due to fact that Digimon is way more known for anime. But, Digimon is Bandai Namco's biggest franchise... even bigger than Tekken and Tales. With reboot coming in, I think they should push Agumon for more advertisement and exposure.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Dixie Kong - literally was one of the first Nintendo female characters alongside Samus to headline her own main series game. Not a spin off, a main platformer within her own series, that was pretty rare at the time. Was being considered added in Brawl and was typically standing along Banjo and Rool in terms of Rare characters wanted.

Impa - One of the most story significant recurring Zelda characters, important in both OOT and Skyward Sword, and popularized by Hyrule Warriors, which was the only non port Zelda game on the Wii U we had for the vast majority of the console's lifespan.

Krystal - I'm really shocked Krystal hasn't been included on this thread yet. She used to rival Ridley in terms of requests back in the Brawl days, and yeah she's an Assist Trophy now but that doesn't stop other fanbases like Waluigi from flourishing.

Phoenix Wright - I really think that pretty much one of the only Capcom franchises to have every single entry released on a Nintendo console at launch should score him some more points than he has. He's literally an honorary 1st Party character, an icon of the DS.

Tails - Sonic's Luigi.

Lloyd/Yuri/Tales of reps - Yeah yeah, anime swordsman, but I feel like Tales is still a really big series deserving to be in.

Ms. Pac-Man - one of the most obvious echo fighters and one of the most iconic female characters.

Lara Croft - Also one of the most iconic female leads.

Andy/Sami - Fire Emblem's sister series, baffling that it couldn't even have its Assist Trophy return.

Chun-Li - The First Lady of Fighting Games.

Terra/Cecil/other FF protagonists - already talked about them above.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think people are thinking too far ahead when they're speculating about Smash 6. You do remember statements about it being 10 years away, right?
I have advance Observation Haki so I have the ability to see into the future. :4pacman:

But really though, I feel like Dixie Kong, Waluigi, Shantae, Isaac, Bandana Dee, and Ashley will all have tremendous support come the next Smash game especially for the fact the huge vacuum of support Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo & Kazooie, and potentially Geno will leave after this game. Those characters dominated speculation for years and the landscape of speculation will greatly change come next game because of their inclusion. The 6 characters I mentioned are characters with a slowing but ever growning healthy amount of support that just won't slow down. Them along with new characters from recent games prior to Smash 6 will dominate speculation for sure.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I can't take King Boo seriously but I can see his importance rising, having literally been in 3 games. I absolutely cannot see his gameplay.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Toad: Because he is literally the biggest most iconic Nintendo character not yet in the roster.

Ryu Hayabusa/Bill Rizer/Lance Bean/Arthur/Battletoads: All iconic NES characters probably the biggest NES characters not yet in the roster, yet all lack popularity in the Smash community despite how they such icons to the NES which was one of the most successful video game consoles in history and one of the most influential and iconic video game console period.

Lara Croft: Literally has the Guinness World Record for being the most iconic female in gaming. Should I say more why it's weird she isn't more popular?

I'd add other FF protagonists like Terra and Cecil to this list as well, since you included both protagonists and villains for Street Fighter and Sonic but only included villains for Final Fantasy. I'm shocked considering how iconic FF 4-6 are among the SNES library that they're not more popular.
This pretty much covers almost everyone I'd say.

There are two little omissions though.

Billy and Jimmy Lee. The Double Dragons belong right up near the top of any list of iconic NES characters, yet there's very little talk about them in Smash. Cecil and Terra were mentioned, but there's another SQUARE RPG that easily ranks as one of, if not THE best RPG on the SNES. Chrono Trigger. Yet Crono doesn't seem to get a lot of Smash love either.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Dragonborn/Dovahkiin is a character who should have meme support at least. Scorpion seems to be doing pretty decent in support, currently.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Dovahkiin, Lara Croft, Ryu Hayabusa are all ones that definitely comes to mind.
Because there's more people who wants Sora and Geno.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Ryu H. gets a ton of discussion.
Not as much anymore honestly. And honestly a lot of people just bring him up because they saw or still see him as a likely character because of Koei Tecmo having an Assist Trophy in the game but not having a fighter yet. Hayabusa isn't popular in the Smash community by any means he is mostly just seen as a likely candidate more than anything.

This pretty much covers almost everyone I'd say.

There are two little omissions though.

Billy and Jimmy Lee. The Double Dragons belong right up near the top of any list of iconic NES characters, yet there's very little talk about them in Smash. Cecil and Terra were mentioned, but there's another SQUARE RPG that easily ranks as one of, if not THE best RPG on the SNES. Chrono Trigger. Yet Crono doesn't seem to get a lot of Smash love either.
I can't believe I forgot about Billy and Jimmy Lee when mentioning the NES characters. They definitely don't get enough attention and nether does Crono.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Sol Badguy, Fulgore, and Nightmare all deserve at least as much attention as Heihachi when is comes to fighting game reps, especially since they would all fit better into Smash with their home series' mechanics than Heihachi would.

Morgana J. Cat

Smash Apprentice
Conker - for a former 2nd Party Nintendo character who had such a legendary game on the n64, he's surprisingly getting very low support, even after Banjo Kazooie got in. There has been some support for the guy on Twitter recently but still not as much as the other two popular Microsoft characters, which I personally find it criminal.

Adeleine - One of the most memorable and even important characters from one of the main Nintendo series, Kirby, who originated in its 64 entry. I guess she's overshadowed by Bandana Waddle Dee's popularity and fan demand. What's even more shameful is that she didn't even get any sort of representation in any Smash game for unknown reasons.

Duke Nukem - One of the most legendary FPS characters that influenced the genre, along with Doom, Wolfenstein and Quake, and has a surprisingly good history with Nintendo. My take is that he's overshadowed by Doomguy, and while I do want both, I do find that quite a shame for the king.

Nights - the lovable genderless SEGA character, who was even created by the same guy behind Sonic. the original Nights game is certainly a cult classic, and I'm sure there are many people who fondly remember it (Shingeru Miyamoto even said it was the only game he regrets not making), sadly Nights support is almost non-existent.

Scorpion (or any other MK character) - one of the most revolutionary Fighting game series that's specially known for its extreme gory violence, that's even banned in Japan, and well I guess that's the tip of the Iceberg. however, with all fairness I think a Mortal Kombat character is one of those M-rated guys that can be toned down and still stay somewhat true to its series, not every MK was M-rated and I mean if Ridley can use his skewer than I don't see any reason why Scorpion shouldn't be able to use his spear thingy. As long as there's no blood it's fine, I guess.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Captain Syrup!

Think about it, people want more Wario Land representation, but historically Sakurai is hesitant to change movesets too drastically. The most productive move to make would be to instead shift gears toward supporting a brand new Wario Land character, and nobody else fits the bill better than Captain Syrup, Wario's rival and the most iconic antagonist in the series. New villain, new female character, Wario Land representation, there's no downside to this.

I for one am really a fan of pirate themed characters, so even beyond Syrup's role as the defacto Wario Land representation I just genuinely really love her as a character. She's tons of fun and provides a very interesting contrast against Wario. Thinking objectively there may not be much precedent for her at the moment, but I'm certain that if Wario fans banded together we could certainly get a movement rolling.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
Hold up.

This is a bit silly.

People are coming in to say "I'm surprised this character doesn't get much support. Other people are coming in to agree with that. Let's actually do something about that.

Here. Here's the LINKS for the characters I'm surprised don't get more support. Feel free to drop by the topic and support them. Post a move set for them. Stage design. Or just say that you think having them in the game would be really awesome.

Arthur (Ghosts 'n Goblins)
Battletoads
Billy and Jimmy Lee (Double Dragon)
Bill Rizer (Contra)
Cecil (Final Fantasy)
Chun Li (Street Fighter)
Crono (Chrono Trigger)
Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong)
Eggman (Sonic)
Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
Terra (Final Fantasy)
Tails (Sonic the Hedgehog)

I would have put a link for M. Bison as well, but apparently nobody ever made a topic for him.

Also here's the two support threads made by me. Just because. I can't say I'm surprised Pious doesn't get a lot of support, but I would have expected more people would back the Elite Beat Agents.
Elite Beat Agents General Support Thread
Pious Augustus (Eternal Darkness)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Hold up.

This is a bit silly.

People are coming in to say "I'm surprised this character doesn't get much support. Other people are coming in to agree with that. Let's actually do something about that.

Here. Here's the LINKS for the characters I'm surprised don't get more support. Feel free to drop by the topic and support them. Post a move set for them. Stage design. Or just say that you think having them in the game would be really awesome.

Arthur (Ghosts 'n Goblins)
Battletoads
Billy and Jimmy Lee (Double Dragon)
Bill Rizer (Contra)
Cecil (Final Fantasy)
Chun Li (Street Fighter)
Crono (Chrono Trigger)
Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong)
Eggman (Sonic)
Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
Terra (Final Fantasy)
Tails (Sonic the Hedgehog)

I would have put a link for M. Bison as well, but apparently nobody ever made a topic for him.

Also here's the two support threads made by me. Just because. I can't say I'm surprised Pious doesn't get a lot of support, but I would have expected more people would back the Elite Beat Agents.
Elite Beat Agents General Support Thread
Pious Augustus (Eternal Darkness)
You forgot to leave the links for the Toad, Sephiroth and Lara Croft threads.

Top Bottom