• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters Who Have Less Support Than You'd Expect

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Earthbound is dead, people still ask for Ninten and Giygas.
I don't see the problem asking for it, dear.
That is a good point.

I also find it hypocritical that Mother characters still have support and not F-Zero.

:bobomb::bobomb::bobomb::bobomb::bobomb:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Mother "ended" on it's own terms, and each games characters are far more developed than F-Zero.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Mother "ended" on it's own terms, and each games characters are far more developed than F-Zero.
Yeah, I think that's a major factor.
In story heavy games, you'll have people discussing the story AND the gameplay whereas in a racing game like F-Zero, which, if I'm being honest, isn't really that deep, you can really only talk about the characters and the gameplay in a vacuum.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Yeah, I think that's a major factor.
In story heavy games, you'll have people discussing the story AND the gameplay whereas in a racing game like F-Zero, which, if I'm being honest, isn't really that deep, you can really only talk about the characters and the gameplay in a vacuum.
Yeah, I mean GX developed the characters pretty well for a racing game with it's cutscenes, but it's still not anywhere near the level of Mother.

I wouldn't mind or even like some of Goroh, Black Shadow, or Deathborn, but I can see why they aren't popular. A character like Porky is far more developed, has a much more important role in their series, and has more obvious potential than anyone F-Zero has to offer.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
That is a good point.

I also find it hypocritical that Mother characters still have support and not F-Zero.

:bobomb::bobomb::bobomb::bobomb::bobomb:
Exactly. It's ridiculous.

Got to remember that when talking about the OG 12, Ness AND Captain Falcon debut together.
Earthbound got a second character. F-Zero did not. Therefore, before we even should consider a third Earthbound character, people should look over to F-Zero and grant their fans a wish first.

I don't care if Ninten, Porky, Masked Man, Jeff, Paula, Poo, Kumatora, Boney, Flint, Duester, Flying Man, Mr. Saturn, Starman, Chimera or Giygas becomes playable, as long as a second F-Zero has come before that.

Edit: Also. If F-Zero did get a second one, then I'll be fighting hard for the last remaining, Yoshi to get a second rep.

Last edited:

Zoljinx_

Smash Apprentice
if it's a character i want, it's most likely not got as much support than I'd hope for. Custom Robo, Chibi Robo, F-Zero, hell even Dillon's rolling western.

other than my "niche" picks. i'm a little surprised that Tails hasn't had much support. I get that everyone's pretty much jumped on the Shadow Train cause he's more likely to do potentially being an Echo fighter. but i always thought Tails would have a similar amount of supporters in comparison.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think Chibi-Robo and Paper Mario both had the same unfortunate fate of having several sub-par releases since Brawl that are all in new forms no-one asked for has soured a lot of people on them.

Chibi-Robo then: Adorable and charming adventure game
Chibi-Robo now: Meh side scroller (which coming from a company that makes magnificent sidescrollers means something's wrong)

Paper Mario then: A vibrant take on the MK world with simple yet deep battle mechanics
Paper Mario now: The exact same take on the MK world that the vanilla Mario games have with gimmicky and awkward battle mechanics.

CleverDan

Smash Cadet
I'm surprised to see how much Decidueye support has waned in favor for Incineroar since the Vergeben leak; like from certainty to doubtful. Vergeben gets info from multiple sources so it might not accurate.

Also I'm surprised Gardevoir doesn't have more support. It's a popular, gen 3, bipedal, Pokémon with a Mega form. It was talked about a bit with the rumor with Gothitelle but seems to have fizzled out in popularity.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Sceptile. We all knew him and loved him during brawl speculation, but people seem to have given up on him since then. Still, he continues to be pretty much the most wanted gen 3 poke for smash (only competition being blaziken and gardevoir.)
I don't remember Sceptile being that prevalent in Brawl's days, or even being popular at all. As for smash 4, many of sceptiles supporters were more fascinated with the checkbox of "fully evolved grass starter" that Sceptile represented at the time. Decidueye became more current and Pokemon trainer kind of ruined that notion dismantling a lot of the frankly bandwagon support he had at the time (not to say all supporters were like this). Also it should be noted that in Japan at least, that both Gardevoir and Blaziken rank higher than Sceptile in popularity.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
I'm surprised to see how much Decidueye support has waned in favor for Incineroar since the Vergeben leak; like from certainty to doubtful. Vergeben gets info from multiple sources so it might not accurate.

Also I'm surprised Gardevoir doesn't have more support. It's a popular, gen 3, bipedal, Pokémon with a Mega form. It was talked about a bit with the rumor with Gothitelle but seems to have fizzled out in popularity.
What's really to be surprised over? The arguments for Decidueye are extremely cliché and has generated supporters. Its fans even put in an inevitable outcome.

Gardevior is extreme fan service bait, it gives you a sense it shouldn't be taken seriously the more you think about it.

CleverDan

Smash Cadet
What's really to be surprised over? The arguments for Decidueye are extremely cliché and has generated supporters. Its fans even put in an inevitable outcome.

Gardevior is extreme fan service bait, it gives you a sense it shouldn't be taken seriously the more you think about it.
Good reasons or not, I was just saying I am surprised these two popular Pokémon don't have more support for Smash.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Am I the only one thinking that we might not get a new Pokemon in the base roster this time around? The only thing we have to go on is Vergaben, and he's sketchy AF - particularly in regards to how he's been handling the Pokemon rep.

Since we got the Pokemon Trainer back, I'm thinking Sakurai would have concentrated more on other characters. A Pokemon character will definitely be one of the first DLC characters, however.

CleverDan

Smash Cadet
I think that's a good possibility. Especially since we "shouldn't expect too many new fighters". A lot of people just assume there will be a new Pokémon character, but if Smash Ballot is determining new comers this time, we may not get one as there wasn't a singular Pokémon that scored high in the polls (that I can remember).

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
Am I the only one thinking that we might not get a new Pokemon in the base roster this time around? The only thing we have to go on is Vergaben, and he's sketchy AF - particularly in regards to how he's been handling the Pokemon rep.
Since we got the Pokemon Trainer back, I'm thinking Sakurai would have concentrated more on other characters. A Pokemon character will definitely be one of the first DLC characters, however.
Yeah I agree with you and am honestly hoping we don't get a Pokemon rep, if it means taking a roster spot. Don't get me wrong I love Pokemon, but it seems with this game we are getting a lot of highly requested characters, and no Pokemon are highly requested, or at least not to the extent of other Smash wants. Dixie Kong, Isaac, Geno, Skull Kid, Banjo-Kazooie, Paper Mario, Impa, Rayman, Bandana Dee, Chibi-Robo, Sora, Captain Toad, Tails, The Chorus Kids, and Heihachi are all highly requested, and we'll be lucky if half of them get in. There's just no room for a Pokemon.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Yeah I agree with you and am honestly hoping we don't get a Pokemon rep, if it means taking a roster spot. Don't get me wrong I love Pokemon, but it seems with this game we are getting a lot of highly requested characters, and no Pokemon are highly requested, or at least not to the extent of other Smash wants. Dixie Kong, Isaac, Geno, Skull Kid, Banjo-Kazooie, Paper Mario, Impa, Rayman, Bandana Dee, Chibi-Robo, Sora, Captain Toad, Tails, The Chorus Kids, and Heihachi are all highly requested, and we'll be lucky if half of them get in. There's just no room for a Pokemon.
Which is why I don't think any more Pokemon are getting into the base roster. This is a game all about fanservice, and there are way too many characters who are requested more than any random Pokemon.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Which is why I don't think any more Pokemon are getting into the base roster. This is a game all about fanservice, and there are way too many characters who are requested more than any random Pokemon.
We don’t entirely know that to be true yet. It depends what the remaining modes are, as we’ve only seen smash modes + classic and my music.

Machete

Smash Ace
The thing about supporting Pokemon is tricky, because they definitely feel like characters Sakurai doesn't have that much say on. He will choose among those Game Freak wants to be popular and that's it. Doesn't leave room for much.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Pokemon is just a bummer to support imo, because 9 chances outta 10 your favorite Pokemon has no chance in hell, while whatever they're pushing in the anime is the one coming. I'd love to see Mawile, Togetic, Kommo-o, Breloom, or Scizor, but none of them have a chance in hell. I'm cool with Decidueye, Lyranroc (Midnight form), Buzzwole, or Mimikyu (I know deconfirmed), but I'm not attached to any of them like that.

Freecs

Smash Cadet
I honestly forgot that CODENAME STEAM existed and now that I remember its existence, all I can think about is why the heck is no one asking for a CODENAME STEAM character? I mean, hello? A unique IP from Nintendo? Anyone?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I honestly forgot that CODENAME STEAM existed and now that I remember its existence, all I can think about is why the heck is no one asking for a CODENAME STEAM character? I mean, hello? A unique IP from Nintendo? Anyone?
Probably because no one thinks they're going to put Tom Sawyer or Abraham Lincoln in.

potato69

Smash Apprentice
I guess I never really expected them to have lots of support, but Tethu from Ever Oasis seemed like a decent choice for a character that I wish more people would consider someday. I'm hoping he could be another Isaac popularity-wise some time down the line.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
What Idon said. Also the fact that you even forgot it existed should be a red flag. Not to mention the game's reception was mostly met with emotions ranging from ambivalence to dissapointment.

Last edited:

Swaggy-G

Smash Apprentice
I feel like most of the posts in this thread are about characters that already have a lot of support or ones that you definitely shouldn’t be surprised at their lack of support.

Vingag

Smash Apprentice
Am I the only one thinking that we might not get a new Pokemon in the base roster this time around?
Nope! I don't think we'll be getting in a new Pokemon on the base roster. Instead I think we're going to wait for DLC when more info about Gen VII comes out, or once either of the new Pokemon movies come out (Either Detective Pikachu staring Ryan Reynolds, or The Movie That's Not Detective Pikachu staring Ryan Reynolds).

Also: Impa. I'm surprised Impa isn't one of the top-most requested characters. She's one of the biggest characters in Zelda that hasn't gotten representation yet. Also also: Can someone explain to me how Impa would be a Shiek echo? Is it because they're both from the Sheikah tribe? Because... well Impa has a giant sword and no grappling hook (unless I'm missing something about Impa?).

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
It sadly didn't sell all to well and will unfortunately fall into Nintendo's pile of failed IPs. It's a shame, the game was charming and quite fun to play and the steam management mechanic could have translated to an interesting risk/reward gimmick for a fighter.

D

Deleted member

I don't really have much left to support, my most wanted is in, King K. Rool and Ridley despite not being a Metroid fan was one if my favourite inclusions. I still support, Bandana Dee, Incineroar, Isaac, and Geno has peaked my interest lately. I guess the main character I still want in is Bandana Dee.

But for less popular choices.

Jibanyan: I know he's popular in Japan, Yo-Kai Watch always was over there, I don't think he'll get in, an assist trophy would be enough.

Spyro: Huge Spyro fan, I like it more then half Nintendo series too, aside from Super Mario, Pokemon and Super Smash Bros don't hate me. Spyro: Reignited Trilogy will be great. I think Crash has more of chance though.

Ezio Auditore: Yeah it'll never happen fun to dream though.

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
For me, the Chorus Kids are one of them. The bandwagoners are gone, so it's hard to say how things will go for the little guys. I'd prefer these guys over Karate Joe/anyone else from RH, but I'd be satisfied to just get a rep from this series.

Beyond that, most characters I want have as much support as I'd expect: Banjo-Kazooie, Rex and Pyra, Mallo from Pushmo, and Qbby from Boxboy.

...Actually, I might've seen more support for Qbby than I'd expected, so I guess there's that.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I know he has some support but I'm a little surprised that Pig Ganon never really had as much support as Ridley or King K. Rool... I chalk that up to his mortal form, Ganondorf, already being in the game but imo that's almost the same as being satisfied with having just Bowser Junior in the game but no Bowser. And it's not like he'd be a clone of himself the way that Link, Toon Link, and Young Link are, there's just no way.

The Hat Trick

Smash Rookie
Honestly, Spyro. And this surprises me because he's always been a big video game icon in my eyes. I assumed he would have one of the bigger threads on here but I guess not,

Veggi

Smash Champion
It's honestly shocking to me how there are characters with a crazy amount of support that haven't been relevant in forever and were barely relevant in their prime. Not that it's a bad thing, just shocking. Then there is basically no support for Spring Man, Captain Toad, and Monster Hunter. All of which are characters that are extremely popular outside of Smashboards and have successful recent games that could easily see an increase in sales from being in Smash. Isabelle was in the same boat and people are tearing her to pieces despite being an extremely popular, marketable, and relevant character. I don't understand how people could think she was a bad choice.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I don't really have much left to support, my most wanted is in, King K. Rool and Ridley despite not being a Metroid fan was one if my favourite inclusions. I still support, Bandana Dee, Incineroar, Isaac, and Geno has peaked my interest lately. I guess the main character I still want in is Bandana Dee.

But for less popular choices.

Jibanyan: I know he's popular in Japan, Yo-Kai Watch always was over there, I don't think he'll get in, an assist trophy would be enough.

Spyro: Huge Spyro fan, I like it more then half Nintendo series too, aside from Super Mario, Pokemon and Super Smash Bros don't hate me. Spyro: Reignited Trilogy will be great. I think Crash has more of chance though.

Ezio Auditore: Yeah it'll never happen fun to dream though.
It is kinda surprising that Ezio has virtually no support at all. His series is one of Ubisoft's biggest and dwarfs Rayman in recognizability, yet isn't even considered for support.

CleverDan

Smash Cadet
I don't see any support for Qbby or Mallow. I hope both at least become assist trophies.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I don't see any support for Qbby or Mallow. I hope both at least become assist trophies.
Definitely seconding this regarding Mallow. Everyone tries to justify Geno's potetnial inclusion as 'SMRPG was really really important' but then there's absolutely zero love for Mallow who is Geno's equivalent.
Seen more love for Boshi, although we can chalk that up to Zinith Zinith being super passionate about him.

Springman, and even Rex get far less love than I'd have assumed.

Isabelle got far less love than was due, but she actually made it in so I'm not sure if she counts or not now to this thread.

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
It's honestly shocking to me how there are characters with a crazy amount of support that haven't been relevant in forever and were barely relevant in their prime. Not that it's a bad thing, just shocking. Then there is basically no support for Spring Man, Captain Toad, and Monster Hunter. All of which are characters that are extremely popular outside of Smashboards and have successful recent games that could easily see an increase in sales from being in Smash. Isabelle was in the same boat and people are tearing her to pieces despite being an extremely popular, marketable, and relevant character. I don't understand how people could think she was a bad choice.
Yeah it's weird to me that since the first few reveals in Ultimate were people like Ridley, K. Rool, and Simon Belmont, who are not relevant anymore, people are now suddenly against relevant characters getting in. I mean Toad, Captain or not, has been around forever and IS still relevant, so I don't see why people are hoping he gets in.

CleverDan

Smash Cadet
Springman, and even Rex get far less love than I'd have assumed.

Isabelle got far less love than was due, but she actually made it in so I'm not sure if she counts or not now to this thread.
I think the Arms and Rex support died down after people started realizing when the development started and they wouldn't be in the base roster. I expect their popularity to rise after the game releases and DLC starts.

I assumed Isabelle was a given in most user's minds, albeit as an echo. The negative reaction of people does surprise me.

KatKit

Smash Lord
I've said this in different threads, but I'll say it again: Style Savvy rep.

I'm talking about a recent, relatively popular first-party series that originated in the DS era (which lacks playable reps in Smash), that has made four games thus far that caters towards a demographic that Smash doesn't try to cater to. In other words, Smash would benefit from Style Savvy and vice versa. Moreover, Style Savvy managed to get two songs and a trophy in Smash, which isn't a simple feat. Style Savvy is all about character customization and costumes, which was a big part of the previous Smash entry. Additionally, a Style Savvy rep would most likely have a fun and unique playstyle because they are a non-combatant.

But nooo. The fans want some obscure character from some game that came out over a decade or two ago because they look cool or something. That's not a jab at anyone, but it's mind-boggling to me how little support Style Savvy has when it checks almost every arbitrary qualification for character representation imaginable. First party? Recent? Relevant? Offers something unique? Has been featured in Smash Bros. in some way previously? Is from a series that doesn't have any playable reps yet? All of the above.

Last edited:

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
Is there anybody here that thinks it's a absolute crime that Wonder-Red has been left to the wayside? Anyone at all?

Top Bottom