• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters Who Have Less Support Than You'd Expect

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
Are there any characters in Smash Bros that you have been hoping to get in for the longest time, but it seems you are one of the only ones? I know I have mine. That's not to say these characters are not requested a lot, but maybe not as much as the Genos and Waluigis of the community. Who are these characters for you? They don't even have to not be highly requested, but just to have less support than you would expect. Here are some of the characters who have less support than I would expect. Post yours too.

Dixie Kong- Don't get me wrong, this Kong is highly requested but I think I was taken a little off guard when I saw the gap in between her and K Rool's popularity. I used to think they were neck and neck, but now it's apparent to me that King K Rool's fanbase kinda off stands tall over her.

Impa- Seemed to be popular in 2015-2016, but after Hyrule Warriors and Smash Wii U lost significant relevance her momentum seemed to die down, and hasn't picked up during Smash Bros Ultimate's speculation like some of Wii U's other most popular requested such as Bandana Waddle Dee. Also, many people have turned towards supporting more "unique" Zelda characters like Skull Kid, Midna, and Ghirahim (I am aware that the latter two have been revealed as Assist Trophies). This might not hurt her though as I feel she was popular during the ballot days.

Andy- The protagonist of the first two Advance Wars games is rarely supported in the Smash community. This takes me off guard just because Advance Wars is probably the biggest Nintendo franchise, other than arguably Golden Sun, Rhythm Heaven, or Chibi-Robo, not represented in Smash Bros. That's not to say these are big franchises, but they have had multiple entries and experience significant popularity.

Chorus Men- During the Smash Bros Wii U speculation days, these guys were constantly fan requested, included in countless fake leaks, and thought to be a lock for the game. However, as time went on, and it was revealed that they were planned for Smash Bros Wii U but later cut, people seemed to just accept the fact and move on, which is surprising. Like Impa, the Chorus Kids were popular during the ballot days, but is that going to be enough? With their decreased popularity, and most of the newcomers of this new game seeming to be old school, there chances seem slim, and people seem to care less and less.

Note: These are all opinions, and therefore you have the right to disagree with them. Please do so respectfully though.

Cetus

Smash Apprentice
While I suppose Endless Ocean isn't the most popular series out there, I'm a little surprised that not only is there absolutely no representation in Smash (no trophies, assists, or stage), but that it's rarely discussed at all in general. The game was popular enough to warrant a sequel and the reviews and general consensus seems to be pretty positive for both of them. I don't expect like, Isaac's level of fan desire, but I'm a little disappointed that it's practically unheard of at this point. The most it seems to get is flack from Game Grumps.

Also, Conker and Spyro are ones I'm baffled don't have a massive following. They have the popularity and nostalgia to boot but just don't seem to approach the level of desire for characters like Geno or Banjo. Maybe I'm missing something.

Crash4Smash

Smash Apprentice
We could use a Mario Underwater Stage where all characters have a swimming animation in their jumps. Although I don't think Sonic would be too happy.
Squirtle should have an added Swimming ability that other characters do not that allows it to swim almost indefinitely unless his damage is above 130% (excluding currents)

cybersai

Smash Ace
Paper Mario, probably. It's always Geno. If people supported Paper Mario more he probably would have been in by now.

I'm also surprised by the lack of Toad/Captain Toad support. I mean he literally has his own game. He's the last big Mario character.

An Archie

Smash Cadet
I wish Chibi Robo and Phoenix Wright had more support behind them.
I agree with Phoenix Wright. It seems that whenever people speculate about another capcom rep they always seem to forget about him despite him being fairly iconic and Ace Attorney almost exclusively being released on nintendo platforms.

Crash4Smash

Smash Apprentice
We could use a Mario Underwater Stage where all characters have a swimming animation in their jumps. Although I don't think Sonic would be too happy.
Squirtle should have an added Swimming ability that other characters do not that allows it to swim almost indefinitely unless his damage is above 130% (excluding currents)

Crash Coco, Spryo, Rayman, Rabbis, Starlink character, Any Sega character besides Sonic, and new Street Fighter/ Capcom reps Chun Li, Ken, Phoenix Wright (Assist). And that does it for three of each third party rep. (I do want Dance Dance Revolution as an Assist Trophy)

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah Advance Wars not being as popular as say Golden Sun is really disheartening given how similar the situations for both series are. Coming from "dead" series that were discontinued in the DS era and have since been neglected by Nintendo. Of course don't get me wrong. I love Golden Sun and I want Isaac in Smash but it's really disheartening to see Andy so far below Isaac in terms of fan requests. Especially considering when it comes to their respective series, the demand is more or less the same for both to return.

I think a lot to do with it is that none of the CO's are shown to fight themselves which is why I think people don't know what Andy could bring as a Smash fighter and the moveset potential he has using units from Advance Wars among other things. Despite that, Andy is a moderately requested character in the Smash fanbase and there's a lot of people who would love to have Andy on the roster despite not actively supporting him.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Ayumi Tachibana from Famicom Detective Club comes to mind. She fills the classic rep and the random foreign character (a la Marth in Melee) simultaneously, and she was even considered at one point.

I'm sure that her Melee trophy interested some people in the series and I'm surprised that she never got the Kid Icarus treatment; a reboot is long overdue.

Last edited:

Crash4Smash

Smash Apprentice
Captain Toad would have Toadette as the other playable character in 4 alternate outfits.

But what about Yarn Yoshi, Waluigi, Waddledee (Parasol dee and Spear and Bandana dee attacks)
Clone Falcon as a Clone of Captain falcon, heehh, and Myu and Faye as echos of Fox McCloud and Wolf O'Donnel

Crash4Smash

Smash Apprentice
Squirtle and Greninja should be given almost infinite swimming ability since they're water types

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
The reason why characters like chorus kids are no longer as heavily supported is because people are bandwagoning on others now, they genuinely never cared for them in the same way people don't really care for most wacky characters listed in recent leaks.

As for my opinion: Phoenix Wright, Layton, Elma, Rex, Isaac, Monster Hunter, dixie and Andy should get more love than what they do. Characters whom have good, popular and succesful games with strong ties to Nintendo as a whole.

Last edited:

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
Paper Mario, probably. It's always Geno. If people supported Paper Mario more he probably would have been in by now.

I'm also surprised by the lack of Toad/Captain Toad support. I mean he literally has his own game. He's the last big Mario character.
I agree with you about Captain Toad I mean yes he has a decent number of supporters but it doesn't even compare to Waluigi or Geno. I mean to me, and this is a bold statement, he is the biggest Nintendo character not in Smash. He's had his own game and has been featured in basically every Mario game (counting Toad and Captain Toad as the same person).

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
The reason why characters like chorus kids are no longer as heavily supported is because people are bandwagoning on others now, they genuinely never cared for them in the same way people don't really care for most wacky characters listed in recent leaks.

As for my opinion: Phoenix Wright, Layton, Elma, Rex, Isaac, Monster Hunter, dixie and Andy should get more love than what they do. Characters whom have good, popular and succesful games with strong ties to Nintendo as a whole.
You make a valid point that I agree with. A lot of the times when characters are listed in leaks, such as The Chrous Kids in the Gematsu leak, people all of the sudden are eager to have them in the game, with many of their newfound supporters not having known much about the character before. I feel that that leak is the only reason someone like the Chorus Men were ever popular in the first place, and now that the leak is irrelevant so are they sadly.

Freecs

Smash Cadet
Same Chibi Robo seems to be overlooked by much of the community.
Chibi Robo is the only character at this point who I feel is a glaring omission. Before Splatoon, Nintendo rarely made new IP’s after Animal Crossing and Pikmin, and Chibo Robo was the only other notable IP before Brawl came out. It doesn’t make sense why he’s not a character yet.

DogManStar

Smash Ace
Chibi Robo, Saki, Ray, and Andy not being a little more popular surprises me, especially Andy.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
While I suppose Endless Ocean isn't the most popular series out there, I'm a little surprised that not only is there absolutely no representation in Smash (no trophies, assists, or stage), but that it's rarely discussed at all in general. The game was popular enough to warrant a sequel and the reviews and general consensus seems to be pretty positive for both of them. I don't expect like, Isaac's level of fan desire, but I'm a little disappointed that it's practically unheard of at this point. The most it seems to get is flack from Game Grumps.

Also, Conker and Spyro are ones I'm baffled don't have a massive following. They have the popularity and nostalgia to boot but just don't seem to approach the level of desire for characters like Geno or Banjo. Maybe I'm missing something.
I honestly had no idea what Endless Ocean was to be frank, I had to look it up just now. But having said that, I think the reason is likely just that people mostly focus on characters and it doesn't look like there's a ton to pull from there. However, I feel like they could make an amazing stage based off of Endless Ocean. It could be beautiful!

As far as Conker goes, that one seems pretty clear to me actually. I think most people, myself included would love to see both Banjo and Conker in Smash, but I'm not going to lie and say I think getting both is even an option. Getting Banjo alone isn't guaranteed. So I think people just gravitate towards the character they want more and/or see as the more likely candidate. And frankly, as much as I love Conker, Banjo was definitely more iconic to Nintendo during the N64 era than Conker, especially for those that couldn't play Bad Fur Day due to the rating. I think Banjo is just more iconic, so when faced with a perceived choice between the two, people are likely going to go with Banjo, even if they like both options.

As for Spyro, I can't speak for anyone else, but while i love Spyro and would love to see him in Smash I still heavily associate him with the Playstation. Which, while not disqualifying him, makes him feel both less likely and less fitting. I would personally like to see characters liek Banjo, character that I heavily associate with Nintendo, before gaming icons that I don't (even if I also love them). I wouldn't be mad about Spyro making it, but given the choice between the two I would choose Banjo every time.

As for my own answer, I have to say Bomberman. I would have personally expected him to be one of the premier choices for a 3rd party candidate and that simply wasn't the case. He definitely had a fair amount of support, but in relative terms not huge like I expected. It just feels like he hits every category. He is absolutely iconic , he has heavy ties to Nintendo, he has immediate relevance being one of the few franchises Konami is actually using right now, and he has moveset potential given his adventure games (even if people get stuck on the whole, but all he has is bombs thing). I think his problem seems to be that while people support him, he is few people's favorite, combined with his perceived lack of moveset potential.

There is also definitely the possibility that Konami itself preferred a different character be included for whatever marketing reasons, but we obviously can't comment on that.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I would have thought Rathalos getting the special honor of having his own stage, music and being both a boss and assist trophy would spur some reactions, but I see almost nothing for Monster Hunter around here.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Classic Ganon: people wanted more villains, Ridley and K Rool got all the attention, but the blue pig with a trident is so ofren ignored.
It's a classic and iconic character who is a big part of the Zelda series' history, yet, people ignore him convinced that Ganondorf already represents him, when that's not actually true.

A separate Wario based on Warioland instead of Wario Ware: We got Doctor Mario, Zero Suit Samus, and other alternative characters with altered movesets. Two Warios representing his 2 different series would make sense, but so few people actually support this idea.
I would like a Treasure Hunter Wario or Explorer Wario in the roster along with the regular one.

Seanp12

Smash Journeyman
Classic Ganon: people wanted more villains, Ridley and K Rool got all the attention, but the blue pig with a trident is so ofren ignored.
It's a classic and iconic character who is a big part of the Zelda series' history, yet, people ignore him convinced that Ganondorf already represents him, when that's not actually true.

A separate Wario based on Warioland instead of Wario Ware: We got Doctor Mario, Zero Suit Samus, and other alternative characters with altered movesets. Two Warios representing his 2 different series would make sense, but so few people actually support this idea.
I would like a Treasure Hunter Wario or Explorer Wario in the roster along with the regular one.
The first one I'd blame on the fact that Ganondorf is still a Captain Falcon clone. If he were better represented himself, people might start considering other forms of Ganon.

As for the second (and kind of the first too), I don't think people are going to take kindly to the idea of the same character being added twice, even if its unique, as long as there's still other characters they might want who have no version in the game. A lot of people were annoyed at Dr. Mario being added back in Smash 4 for that reason, particularly when that game had some other vets who still didn't make it, e.g. Wolf.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Honestly, Dark Meta Knight as an echo of Meta Knight. This just seems so clear to me, with us already having two Dark versions of characters, with Galacta Knight being out of the running due to Meta Knights costume of him(With Chrom and Dark Samus, he got rid of the alts that resembled so nobody would be confused in the chaos with who is who, so why would add an alt that would look similar to an echo, down to having the same mask design), and with DMK just appearing in Star Allies, yet no one is even glancing at him. By no means, I am not a big supporter of him, but all sort of baffles me.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Honestly, Dark Meta Knight as an echo of Meta Knight. This just seems so clear to me, with us already having two Dark versions of characters, with Galacta Knight being out of the running due to Meta Knights costume of him(With Chrom and Dark Samus, he got rid of the alts that resembled so nobody would be confused in the chaos with who is who, so why would add an alt that would look similar to an echo, down to having the same mask design), and with DMK just appearing in Star Allies, yet no one is even glancing at him. By no means, I am not a big supporter of him, but all sort of baffles me.
What holds Dark Meta Knight back is that he's barely more interesting as a character than Dark Link (Star Allies even goes out of it's way to not give him any characterization), who is a skin.

We haven't actually seen any of Meta Knight's Ultimate alts though? It doesn't really matter what he had back in 4.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Sceptile. We all knew him and loved him during brawl speculation, but people seem to have given up on him since then. Still, he continues to be pretty much the most wanted gen 3 poke for smash (only competition being blaziken and gardevoir.)

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
The first one I'd blame on the fact that Ganondorf is still a Captain Falcon clone. If he were better represented himself, people might start considering other forms of Ganon.

As for the second (and kind of the first too), I don't think people are going to take kindly to the idea of the same character being added twice, even if its unique, as long as there's still other characters they might want who have no version in the game. A lot of people were annoyed at Dr. Mario being added back in Smash 4 for that reason, particularly when that game had some other vets who still didn't make it, e.g. Wolf.
I agree with you and this especially applies to Wario (because Ganon is completely different, even design wise). Though, if this is true, why there was so much support for Paper Mario back when Smash 4 was a thing?

You make a valid point that I agree with. A lot of the times when characters are listed in leaks, such as The Chrous Kids in the Gematsu leak, people all of the sudden are eager to have them in the game, with many of their newfound supporters not having known much about the character before. I feel that that leak is the only reason someone like the Chorus Men were ever popular in the first place, and now that the leak is irrelevant so are they sadly.
I agree with this so much and I noticed that too.
I feel like the chorus kids aren't the only character affected by this. There are some characters who people don't care about but they still support because they think they are likely or they "make sense". On this subject, I would say, to stay in topic, that every Kirby character that's not that Waddle Dee with a bandanna, gets too little support. People usually ignore or detract other Kirby characters in fear that they would hurt "Bandana Dee"'s chances of getting in. But are those people who want Bandana Dee, actually interested in Bandana Dee? I read a lot of comments who say "because he would be the first spear user", or "because he's the next most important character after the 3 already in" (something that IMO is completely false but I don't want to talk about this now). It seems that a lot of people want him because "it makes sense", "it's the most logical choice", but they don't actually care of the character. A true Kirby fan would know how the Kirby series has way more interesting characters with unique abilities compared to a Spear Kirby reskin, yet a lot of people don't want those character in Smash because "Bandana Dee" needs to be in first. Unlike the Chorus Kids, Bandana Dee didn't lost his supporters because there is a group of people who actively support the character with "propaganda" and meme, and build hype for the character on social networks etc. but I feel like if he would get a deconfirmation (example, he's an assist trophy), he would lose 80% of his supporters, unlike characters such as Waluigi and Ashley.
I know that it's rude to detract a popular character, but honestly I hope he's not included in Smash because I think he doesn't deserve, and it would hurt the Kirby series as a whole; and despite all, I'm still convinced that he's unlikely, I just can't see him work well, he's too limited design-wise and character wise, and his identity is very questionable.

Lastly, I think that "Jill & Drill Dozer" is another character who gets too little attention.
She has never been important, though, she was in a similar situation as Isaac, an AT in brawl, removed from 4. Still, Isaac got supported enoug that now he's almost confirmed (that tweet on Sora's profile with a golden sun reference), Jill just got forgotten.
Despite all what made her unique is now taken by Bowser Jr, I still think she would have been an interesting character.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
We haven't actually seen any of Meta Knight's Ultimate alts though? It doesn't really matter what he had back in 4.
Actually, we have. On the Smash Ultimate website, the Meta Knight section has a pick of his Galacta alt, and it actually gives MK Galacta Knights mask design, at least for his eye area.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I feel like Cranky Kong should be at 5 pages of support with how he's technically the original DK. I wish Doc Louis had more support to.

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
I agree with you and this especially applies to Wario (because Ganon is completely different, even design wise). Though, if this is true, why there was so much support for Paper Mario back when Smash 4 was a thing?

I agree with this so much and I noticed that too.
I feel like the chorus kids aren't the only character affected by this. There are some characters who people don't care about but they still support because they think they are likely or they "make sense". On this subject, I would say, to stay in topic, that every Kirby character that's not that Waddle Dee with a bandanna, gets too little support. People usually ignore or detract other Kirby characters in fear that they would hurt "Bandana Dee"'s chances of getting in. But are those people who want Bandana Dee, actually interested in Bandana Dee? I read a lot of comments who say "because he would be the first spear user", or "because he's the next most important character after the 3 already in" (something that IMO is completely false but I don't want to talk about this now). It seems that a lot of people want him because "it makes sense", "it's the most logical choice", but they don't actually care of the character. A true Kirby fan would know how the Kirby series has way more interesting characters with unique abilities compared to a Spear Kirby reskin, yet a lot of people don't want those character in Smash because "Bandana Dee" needs to be in first. Unlike the Chorus Kids, Bandana Dee didn't lost his supporters because there is a group of people who actively support the character with "propaganda" and meme, and build hype for the character on social networks etc. but I feel like if he would get a deconfirmation (example, he's an assist trophy), he would lose 80% of his supporters, unlike characters such as Waluigi and Ashley.
I know that it's rude to detract a popular character, but honestly I hope he's not included in Smash because I think he doesn't deserve, and it would hurt the Kirby series as a whole; and despite all, I'm still convinced that he's unlikely, I just can't see him work well, he's too limited design-wise and character wise, and his identity is very questionable.

Yeah on the topic of Bandana Waddle Dee, I agree with you. While I want him in the game, I would much rather see a more unique Kirby character like Daroach or Marx. To me, both fit into Smash better, because of their uniqueness, design, and moveset potential. I think, like you said, the Kirby franchise has so much more to offer, and it's really a shame it only has 3 reps.

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
The only one I can think of is Daroach, He looks so epic with an epic moveset in KSA.

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
The only one I can think of is Daroach, He looks so epic with an epic moveset in KSA.
OMG I am in total agrement with you! Rarely do I find someone else who supports Daroach. I think he has such a unique design and moveset potential and behind Marx is my most wanted Kirby character!

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
Probably pretty bias, but I'd say Nightmare from Soulcalibur. I'm the owner of the Nightmare support thread and don't get me wrong, I'm really happy with the supporters for him, but it's definitely a slowish burn. I was super surprised to not see a Nightmare support thread already be made for Ultimate by the time I made one.

Again, I don't mean to come off too self-promoting, but I was genuinely shocked when I was the first to make a thread for him in Ultimate.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
It feels like no one here has ever heard of SMT, much less played it, despite the fact it's tied to Persona, a mega-hit bestseller, and 2. Having a ton of history with Nintendo, with over 30 years and establishing a lot of tropes in JRPGs today on top of most games in the franchise being Nintendo-only.

Come on, it's not even a dead franchise, with a recent "crossover" with Fire Emblem and having its 5th mainline entry releasing on the Switch in the next 2 years.

I'd expect at least more support than someone like Takamaru or Ayumi, both of which being characters that have never left Japanese shores.

Oh yeah, don't mind the signature. I've got no bias here, hahaha, no sir-ee!

Last edited:

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
I would say Skull Kid, but holy crap he really exploded in popularity on this forum after smash bros direct.

Top Bottom