• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

characters who can counter link especially well?

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
hi! so basically my friend 3-0'd me in tournament and i want him to suffer now. i wanna know which characters are particularly good at challenging link's range and projectiles. i am willing to put in the time to learn the matchup so no character is off-limits.

Mi4Slayer

Smash Cadet
Isabelle and Villager can take away Link's bomb for their entire stock. I think they're a good contender.

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
palutina is great too,. Is villager and isabelle good against link? As YL i usually find them an easier matchup because of my speed but perhaps for adult link they are more of a problem. Pretty much any fast character will get link. Star fox characters for example

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Diddy Kong is hell for Link, at least, if you know what you are doing. If you where being 3-stocked, chance is big you need to practise everything anyway. Don't think you can cheat easily by choosing a better character, especially if you got no experience with the character. That stuff will make you lose again. Anyway am having no problems with Link as Diddy, so he's a option if he fits your playstyle.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
isabelle doesnt work for me since thats the character i am constantly getting bopped with. palutena as well.

like i know im just bad at the matchup but right now i just need a character who will give me a little more of an edge until i have time to grind the matchup

right now im banking on either wolf or peach

Mischiiii

Smash Apprentice
In my opinion it’s best to just ask him to help you play against links. He probably knows best what gives him a difficult time.

If you don’t want him to know just ask talk casually about what matchups (except link) you don’t like. And then ask him what he doesn’t like. Guess that’s most effective because we don’t know your and his skill level.

MrFrigid

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
3259-2884-2790
hi! so basically my friend 3-0'd me in tournament and i want him to suffer now. i wanna know which characters are particularly good at challenging link's range and projectiles. i am willing to put in the time to learn the matchup so no character is off-limits.
I have trouble with good samus players. Ike/Chrom are also difficult

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Spacies..
Palu

Actually pit. He has a reflector and the perfect projectile to stop your bomb recovery.

Last edited:

~?~

The Strangest Link Main
Here is a list of GOOD characters to counter with

Megaman (if your lemon game is playiing the matchup correctly, you can turn off Links tools)
Fox (just rush down and shine the boomerang on the returning hitbox, and you win)
Falcon (just like fox, he's fast, so Link gets bodied the moment he gets in)
Zero Suit Samus (Like Fox and Falcon, but with more tools, and a 0 to death combo on Link at the ledge)
Pichu/Pikachu (again, the speed is an issue for Link, except these rats can actually edge guard him safely unlike most the cast)
Palutina (just use your orbs whenever you see Link telegraph an item attack, and it will 100% of the time stuff out the item + counter for edge guard)

Here is a list of soft counters

Villager / Isabel (Just pocket their bomb and spam retreating Fair and Bair pressure, you can't really lose because your aerials stuff out his items)
Zelda (throw out Phantom whenever they throw out a boomerang because phantom will block it and then sit in place to block more, plus neutral special)
Roy/Lucina/Marth/Chrom (Can easily outspeed and outspace, if you are good at evading items, and easy edge guards with counter)
Sonic (rush down and grab, then go for EZ up special gimps with your spring)

Honorable Mention

SNAKE

Yes, I said it, Snake is a VALUABLE counter pick. I saved him for last because snakes claim that he's bad against Link, but he's not. The same argument they use to make such a statement is the same argument that can be used against them, that being, Link and Snake stop eachothers projectiles with eachothers projectiles. While this does prevent Link from advancing, it doesn't stop Snake from doing Snake. You see, even if the Link stops your grenade with a boomerang or bomb.... it's still sitting in center stage and controlling space. That Link wont approach unless they are crazy or just bad at the game. Blocking projectiles with grenade only to have that grenade sit in neutral and protect you isn't AT ALL a bad thing for Snake, because now he can setup Snake traps or Nikita, etc. Another thing that Snakes REFUSE to acknowledge is that Links ONLY true strength is his ability to kill people off stage with a widespread tool kit designed to do so.... the only problem is.... it wont do anything against Snake while he's recovering. The only thing a Link has to edge guard Snake is down air which is not only situational in snakes recovery path, but also risky because if you miss, you might be dead. So all in all, Snake can shut down Links items with a better projectile (which also breaks combos), and turns off Links one in game advantage, his ability to edge guard.

I recommend Snake or the first list.

Jigglypuff can get around projectiles pretty well.
Since the down of Smash Melee, one of Jigglypuffs worst matchups is Link/YoungLink because being in the air as a floaty while having mobility cut off by items and being left to almost always lethal disjointed hitbox just doesn't fair too well for the ball of puff. I dpn't recommend puff for the same reason I don't recommend Peach.

:ultdiddy::ultfox::ultmetaknight: These maybe?
I agree with the Fox, the Metaknight is stage dependent and by my experience both playing with Diddy and with Link, both against eachother also, Link has quite a few advantages in the Ditty matchup.

Last edited:

Haden

If life is so fair, why do roses have thorns?
i play against 2 very high level links, one of them regularly. both say the following:

soft counters to link:
regular pit (on omega stages)
villager (isabel being a counter is a myth)
ike (just nair a lot on the items and space)
zelda (teleport when they throw boomerang to zone break and use reflector on the bomb throw and detonation only)

hard counters:
megaman (just spam lemons, nair being able to break through 3 lemons just wont happen)
captain falcon
zero suit samus
fox
falco

you can also send a message to ~?~ ~?~ and ask him to pair up in an arena to practice against link. he gives link counter lessons to people

Arecneverdies

Smash Rookie
NNID
SW-736604931708
Switch FC
SW-7366-0493-1708
This is regarded as the evil truth - Palutena is the forsaken Link whisperer in the whole game I believe. She's also a Zone character who actually does it better than him, and if she really has you down, she will be using her long lingering counter special - That thing last forever. :mad::mad:

The most pain staking thing is... her air game. Neutral and up air are superior to Link - the hotbox is wide, long, and last forever. Unless I'm meteor smashing, I have to hit dodge or I will be juggled helplessly, her speed is also superior which doesn't help with Link's terrible fall speed. Her Fireball special is powerful and you have to watch out for her up smash when recovering. She's a huntress and a killer

Granted for a character who can truly use Palutena the right way. I basically have to stay on the ground, parry, and connect with my smash attacks, or edge guard her well.

Other personal rivals for me are: Inkling, Little Mac, Wolf, Incineroar, Snake, Rob, & Hero. Even is they aren't quite as skilled of a player. I usually have a hard time with these no matter what.

Top Bottom