• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters that missed the boat?

greatbernard

Smash Apprentice
The hype for some characters is time-sensitive. If there's a lot of hype for a character within ~2 years away from when a Smash game is released, they'll be added to the roster. Or maybe the devs would add them to the next Smash game if they have time or budget constraints.

For example, Pichu and Mewtwo were at the right place, right time. Pokemon movies coming out just on the eve of SSBM's development time. But they probably wouldn't have been added to the game if they weren't added then.

And then I think of Midna from Twilight Princess. Brawl would've been the best time to add her, or maybe even Smash 4. But 16 years later has that time-sensitive window evaporated? The once fan-favorite character has turned into just that one-time occuring character from a 16 year old game.

Curious if any of you have other examples of characters that missed their window/

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Virtually every one-and-done Nintendo IP.

I'd say Shadow counts for this to an extent - between Melee and Brawl he was slowly becoming seen as Sonic's number two while Tails' role was slowly diminishing. Unleashed (thankfully, IMO) restored Tails to his prior spot and since Shadow has been struggling for relevancy within canon.

Really sad, but all of the Black Box NES games I feel have lost their chance as their nostalgia range is growing out of Smash.

Arguably Tingle, but I think his window was a little bigger than Midna or Ghirahim since he had a game before Brawl and after Brawl, so for Wii U wouldn't be too "irrelevant".

Ms. Pac-Man, because, uh... you know who.

Pupp135

Smash Lord
I’ll copy the list that I had from a thread similar to this one.
Melee: Leif either in Marth or Roy’s spot, a unique Jhoto Pokemon, Meowth
Brawl: Tingle, Vaati, Toon Zelda/Toon Sheik/Tetra, Krystal, a Hoenn Pokemon, Lyn/Eirika/Ephraim, Isaac
For 3DS/WiiU: Unova Pokemon, Elma, Chorus Kids, Ghirahim
Ultimate: FF character not from VII, Galar Pokemon
Up in the air for Ultimate: Rex (I can only see him being added if he has Chrom levels of demand), Spring Man (idk where ARMS will be in the future)
I left Skull Kid and Midna out since their major appearance was during development of Melee (Skull Kid) or Brawl (Midna), and they lost relevance after.

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I was just thinking about this in terms of Ultimate the other day, so that's the game I'll focus on for this post.

Geno, Krystal, Isaac, Lloyd, Crash, Spyro: I feel like these characters mainly have fan support backing them up, and little else. The first four haven't been main characters in a game for a very long time afaik. The latter two have had recent remakes, and Crash also got a new game, but they would probably need a couple new games to be popular and relevant by the time the next Smash rolls around, since it'll probably be a good while yet until that happens. The likelihood of Crash and Spyro getting a couple new games each isn't great imo. I could see a couple of these characters getting in if the dev team are still using the Ballot, but it'll be getting close to a decade old at that point, so I don't think they're likely to keep using it.

Gen 8 and 9 Pokemon: Gen 8 is obviously completely out of the running at this point, and unless development starts very soon or gen 9 lasts a strangely long time, it's looking likely that it'll get skipped for a rep as well.

Champions and a more combat-focused Zelda: While Tears of the Kingdom will cause the BoTW series of Zelda games to remain relevant for some time still, it's unlikely they'll still be very relevant by the time the next Smash is in development. The Champions were talked about a good amount in early Ultimate speculation, and talks about a second, different-playstyle Zelda in addition to the one we have were brought on by Sakurai toying with the idea in one of his presentations. Now that DLC has wrapped up, the devs clearly decided that just making a stage and tweaking Link a bit was all they'd do for the BotW series. Plus, the new kind of Zelda that's been rumored for TotK still, y'know, isn't out yet at the time of writing this post.

Elma: It's a tragedy that her game still hasn't been ported to the Switch. It's also highly unlikely she'll have much relevance by the time the next Smash rolls around, especially with XC3 having recently released and XC4 not out of the realm of possibility to be a recent game by next Smash if the wait for it is on the longer side.

PinkFlare

Previously 1SecondNinja
Modern Doom Slayer.

Obviously, he is still beloved and iconic and could be included in a future game, but that's not what I'm addressing here.

Bethesda has confirmed that Eternal's DLC is the end of the Slayer's story, and the final cutscene very much shows that to be the case with him being locked within the tomb once more. This could very well be the last we see of this reinvented Slayer for a long long time, and honestly I see future Doom games going in a different direction than what 2016 and Eternal had done, creating a new depiction of the Slayer -of course, this is assuming they decide to continue the series at all. It's likely that they will, but after going about and making such a grandiose finale for him, it's about equally as likely that Doom is left in storage whilst they work on different IPs for a few years.

If the Slayer had a perfect time to join the roster, it would have been Ultimate, during the height of Eternal and before his story was done for good. He missed that chance, and despite that he is popular enough to see an inclusion in a future Smash game, I would still qualify this as "missing the boat"

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Bandana Dee Nah im just messing with ya but heres a interesting one:
Dark Matter Considering that The Dark Matter/ Zero/ Void Saga seems to have ended that might be the end of many Dark Matter Inspired Bosses which we had in the Past! I still think he should be in and he probably would if Kumazaki took over but yeah!
And galacta Knight mostly because if they do a Second Knight they would probably do Morpho!

volbound1700

Smash Master
I mostly agree with ones listed but here are a few more:

1. Krystal
2. Shadow
3. Midna
4. Ghirahim
5. Tharja - remember that hype?
6. Possibly any Activision-Blizzard or Bethesda characters because of the recent Microsoft acquisition (Microsoft seems to want to play ball but they have already given Banjo and Steve)
7. Isaac from Golden Sun
8. Dixie King
9. Toon Zelda
10. Micaiah

Oracle Link

Smash Master

1. Krystal
2. Shadow
3. Midna
4. Ghirahim
6. Possibly any Activision-Blizzard or Bethesda characters because of the recent Microsoft acquisition (Microsoft seems to want to play ball but they have already given Banjo and Steve)
7. Isaac from Golden Sun
8. Dixie King
9. Toon Zelda
10. Micaiah
ah yes my favourite donkey kong Character Dixie King!

Aligo

Smash Ace
If you want a current example, any character from xenoblade chronicles 3

The situation could not be worse. Both in terms of timing and future promotion.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master

1. Krystal
2. Shadow
3. Midna
4. Ghirahim
7. Isaac from Golden Sun
8. Dixie King
9. Toon Zelda
10. Micaiah
It's curious, of all of them, only really Dixie Kong has an opportunity to appear again unless the stars align (and even then, the most likely of those characters could be Shadow funny enough), because she is the only one that still has big support despite losing her big opportunity last time; is also part of an A Tier franchise; and she still gets put in the spotlight from time to time.

The FE and Zelda characters are the biggest victims of missing timing because pretty much all of them (besides Link/Zelda) are flavor of the moment; though, interestinly, with the Zelda characters, the only pick we got that was without a doubt a timing thing was Sheik, the other characters were the obvious choices (the Triforce), or were characters that benefited from other circunstances (development cycle suggesting the creation of Link clones).

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
It's curious, of all of them, only really Dixie Kong has an opportunity to appear again unless the stars align (and even then, the most likely of those characters could be Shadow funny enough), because she is the only one that still has big support despite losing her big opportunity last time; is also part of an A Tier franchise; and she still gets put in the spotlight from time to time.

The FE and Zelda characters are the biggest victims of missing timing because pretty much all of them (besides Link/Zelda) are flavor of the moment; though, interestinly, with the Zelda characters, the only pick we got that was without a doubt a timing thing was Sheik, the other characters were the obvious choices (the Triforce), or were characters that benefited from other circunstances (development cycle suggesting the creation of Link clones).
You could still do Impa (as a Shiek Echo), Skull Kid As He Appeared thrice and has Ginourmous fan demand, a Goron, A Zora as a Greninja Echo
Or heck go the enemy Route and add Octorok!

PinkFlare

Previously 1SecondNinja
I also think Dr. Eggman missed the boat for DLC as well. I honestly would’ve made Steve the extra 6th fighter of Fighters Pass Vol. 1 just to make room for Eggman in Vol. 2.
I don't see how he missed the boat. He's a character that's always going to be relevant and will continue to have major appearances- this thread is for characters who had a specific time window of popularity that since faded.

By that same metric, Toad, Shadow, Dixie, etc. didn't miss the boat either. They're going to keep having major relevance in their own series, which makes me confused as to why they are stated otherwise in this thread

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I don't see how he missed the boat. He's a character that's always going to be relevant and will continue to have major appearances- this thread is for characters who had a specific time window of popularity that since faded.

By that same metric, Toad, Shadow, Dixie, etc. didn't miss the boat either. They're going to keep having major relevance in their own series, which makes me confused as to why they are stated otherwise in this thread
Mainly for this game, since it seemed like a great time to introduce them as newcomers.

Aligo

Smash Ace

Yes I agree with this, as the listed characters from series that have since declined in popularity or relavance. Another cause is characters bound to a single release, due to either a rapid cycling of characters (see every Pokémon generation), or are closed end stories due to the setting/plot, with no potential for sequelisation( See most fire emblem games, most of Xenoblade 3s cast, any side character from a mario and Luigi game, Zelda one off side characters, most metroid villans ect)

Characters like eggman, toad and Dixie in contrast are more or less guaranteed to remain relevant in their own series.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
007 he was originally planned for Meele but even if Smash ever includes 4th Party Stuff i think he will stay HIGHLY Impossible!
Generally when it comes to Kirby there are a ton of Characters who have good chances coming in if Sakurai steps atleast a bit down!
Although i think Taranza and Susie Missed the Boat!

Aligo

Smash Ace
007 he was originally planned for Meele but even if Smash ever includes 4th Party Stuff i think he will stay HIGHLY Impossible!
Generally when it comes to Kirby there are a ton of Characters who have good chances coming in if Sakurai steps atleast a bit down!
Although i think Taranza and Susie Missed the Boat!
Yeah, trying to license a character like James Bond must be a complete nightmare.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master

I agree, I personally think Micaiah is one of the poster girls of that idea, alongside other more popular characters. She was at one point considered a legit competitor, but now she was completely forgotten.

Dixie and Shadow technically lose their opportunities, specially Dixie where she was actually considered, but they can always get another one, Micaiah won't, ever.

Unless the world decides to troll me, which why it could now? xd

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
I think Tails and Knuckles are ahead of Shadow for the second Sonic the Hedgehog representative.

Shadow was a favorite because people thought Shadow could be an echo of Sonic but I am not 100% sure if it could work since Shadow does have some unique abilities.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
IMO, Geno. Not in the sense that he's not popular anymore, far from it, but simply because Ultimate was the time for dedicated fan picks like him to get in. Even when the path was looking clear for him, some other SE-owned character would cut in front of him and remind us that he's just a lowly side character. The ship has unfortunately sailed for this guy, and with a reappearance in his own series looking next to impossible, we've probably seen the last of him. F in the chat for his fans.

Other obvious picks include Elma (you poor, doomed soul), Crash (if he hasn't gotten in by now, I dunno WHAT it's gonna take), and any Pokemon not from the most recent generation (as of the next Smash game, of course).

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I think Tails and Knuckles are ahead of Shadow for the second Sonic the Hedgehog representative.

Shadow was a favorite because people thought Shadow could be an echo of Sonic but I am not 100% sure if it could work since Shadow does have some unique abilities.
You could technically make Tails, Shadow, Metal Sonic and maybe even Knuckles as Sonis Semi Echos (similar to chrom) But yeah it should be tailsd and Eggman with new Movesets!
And considering that sonic has finnaly some more mainline moves his moveset could be changed!

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
IMO, Geno. Not in the sense that he's not popular anymore, far from it, but simply because Ultimate was the time for dedicated fan picks like him to get in. Even when the path was looking clear for him, some other SE-owned character would cut in front of him and remind us that he's just a lowly side character. The ship has unfortunately sailed for this guy, and with a reappearance in his own series looking next to impossible, we've probably seen the last of him. F in the chat for his fans.

Other obvious picks include Elma (you poor, doomed soul), Crash (if he hasn't gotten in by now, I dunno WHAT it's gonna take), and any Pokemon not from the most recent generation (as of the next Smash game, of course).
Concerning Elma, if an X port or continuation miraculously happens around the time of a new Smash, her chances might be back on the table lol.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I agree with almost all that have been named, except:

• Dixie Kong: she's not all that relevant but honestly she's an easy addition as a clone/echo, also a legacy character
  • Shadow: basically the same reason, they're characters that are simply pretty easy to add, of course no chance for either to be an "original" character with their own moveset except a few changes
  • Crash: honestly believe he's the obvious new pull for the next game as the biggest "Sony" character to join Smash, the feeling of him battling Mario and Sonic is more than enough to be at least interesting for Nintendo

Geno is so much done, maybe with Smash Bros. 10 just because he will be completely forgotten and will be used as the shocking addition for fans who will be in their 50's if not 60's lol

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Speaking of Shadow everyone says Him being an echo is the main Reason for his inclusion but honestly if Dark Samus can be a Echo For Samus so can be Tails an Echo for Sonic: Both Use Springs, Both Use Spin dash and other than that sonics Moveset is pretty generic!
Of course both shadow and tails would need new Running Animations!

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Bandana Dee.

He should have been in Smash 4 but missed his chance and same thing with Ultimate's DLC passes.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Bandana Dee.

He should have been in Smash 4 but missed his chance and same thing with Ultimate's DLC passes.
Thats Defintly Incorrect as long as the next smash has space for 4 Kirby Characters or a new Nintendo Character in general and sakurai isnt in charge there is a huge chance we get Bandana Waddle Dee! hes still relevant maybe even more than ever as its the first time hes the only player 2 in a mainline Kirby and got new Moves in FL! The only Thing That hinders his chances (Execept Skaurai bias) Is that Smash MIGHT get a Reboot which imo is a pretty dumb idea!
And if we go by the BWD Cant be in cus Reboot Logic than almost every Non third Party Character "Missed The Boat"

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Thats Defintly Incorrect as long as the next smash has space for 4 Kirby Characters or a new Nintendo Character in general and sakurai isnt in charge there is a huge chance we get Bandana Waddle Dee! hes still relevant maybe even more than ever as its the first time hes the only player 2 in a mainline Kirby and got new Moves in FL! The only Thing That hinders his chances (Execept Skaurai bias) Is that Smash MIGHT get a Reboot which imo is a pretty dumb idea!
And if we go by the BWD Cant be in cus Reboot Logic than almost every Non third Party Character "Missed The Boat"
sakarai bias is a myth made by ppl who did not get what they want, I am actually quite scared of the fact next smash will be done with out him since he is retired.

Aligo

Smash Ace
sakarai bias is a myth
Kid named modern Kirby content:

I jest. Anyhoos, I believe it is very doubtful that there will be any overwatch characters in a future smash due to the decreasing popularity of the series.

Stuff like current XC, FE and Pokémon will likely have new entries before the next smash, which will be prioritized. Same goes for third party games with a similar release schedule.

Top Bottom