• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters that can complete every break the targets stage

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
This is mostly useless information but here is the list of characters that can complete every break the targets. To the best of my knowledge it cannot be done with any other characters.

Overview

There are two stages which limit which characters can complete the target tests: Young Link's and Jigglypuff's. In Young Link's stage, you start at the bottom of a pit. There are two targets which are difficult to break. One is trapped inside a box, and the other is in a small room with a slit into it which is covered by flippers. In Puff's, the last four targets are above an abyss and difficult to hit.

Peach

Peach can easily float out and hit every target in Puff's stage. In Young Link's, she can peach bomber out of the pit. Peach can barely hit the target inside the box using dair. To my knowledge, it has to be a subfloat dair to connect. The target guarded by the two flippers is not easy. The only way I could do it was by getting the flippers into a position which allows a turnip to go through the gap and hit the target. This is very annoying because if you hit a flipper with a turnip, it often will get out of alignment. But it is possible.

Samus

Samus doesn't have much of a problem on Puff's stage. She can use charged shot to hit every target, to my knowledge. On Young Link's stage, she can just wall jump out of the pit. You can break the target in the box using dair. To get the target between the two flippers, you will need to get into the box which is difficult. But you can get inside using a up b from below or a down b from above.

Zelda/Sheik

Zelda and Sheik need each other to complete all the target tests. But Sheik alone can complete Young Link's. She first wall jumps out of the pit. To break the target in the box, she uses chain. I am not sure if Sheik can can get past the flippers in order to get the other target but it's unnecessary. She can get the target by poking through the wall on the right using falling chain. Go to the top of the wall and jump off the right side and chain as you fall down and you can poke through the wall and finish the stage.

Puff's target test is more challenging/creative and requires both Zelda and Sheik. Of the four targets above the abyss, the first two can easily be broken using Din's fire. The next two will be gotten out of order, the farthest one away being broken first. To do this, you need to poke through the leftmost wall using chain. I did this by first getting on top of the entire stage by jump, double jump, wall jump, air dodge (or up b). Then I dropped off the ledge and turned around chained. To recover, I double jumped, wall jumped, up b ed. This is kind of tricky as you want to be close enough to the wall that the chain pokes but far enough away that you can drift in slightly to wall jump. To break the final target, jump off and do a suicide Din's fire as Zelda.

Link

Link and Young Link are exceptional at break the targets because of their boomerangs, which can be ricocheted off walls to travel great distances. Once a boomerang has bounced on a wall, it will pass through walls on the ricochet back, so this is very useful.

Link can get out of the pit in Young Link's stage by using exploding bombs and damage boosting. The target in the box is not a problem, as he breaks it the same way young link is designed to break it- using a boomerang. The target guarded by the flippers is also not a problem as he can use arrows or the boomerang to get it.

Puff's stage isn't bad either. The four targets over the abyss can be broken using ricocheted boomerangs.

Young Link

Young Link obviously doesn't have a problem with his own stage.

Like Link, he can use ricocheted boomerangs to clear Puff's.

Pichu

This is the only character on the list that I don't think it was known could complete every target test.

Pichu can get out of Young Link's pit using wall jumping. He can break the target in the box using thunder. He can get past the flippers by air dodging diagonally down into the gap. He's small enough to easily fit through. There is actually some small difficulty getting the target furthest to the left. I don't know if this is the fastest method, but I get that last using suicide thunder.

Pichu has more difficulty on Puff's target test. It's important to know that the wooden ceiling above the abyss isn't actually a ceiling. It's just a floor- meaning you can pass through it from below. Pichu can break the first two target using slightly charged side b s. For the second target, you can come up through the floor to recover. For the third target, you need to almost fully charge side b, release, double jump up air, and then up b through the floor to safety. The last target requires a fully charged side b spaced on the very edge of the launching platform. You release, double jump, wall jump, up air. Or that is the method I found. It is a decently tight timing.

Also pichu has a little bit of trouble on Roy's stage. You need to break the bottom most target using lightning.

Jigglypuff

Jigglypuff doesn't have a problem with her own stage.

Using jump, repeated rising pound, air dodge, Puff can make it out of the Young Link pit. She can break the target inside the box using up b. To break the target guarded by the flippers, she has to do a precise air dodge.

Mewtwo

Mewtwo can barely make it out of the Young Link pit. He needs to jump, double jump, at the height of the double jump do an aerial, and then up b. The aerial will extend his double jump enough to get out of the pit. He bairs the target inside the box. To break the target guarded by the flippers, he can drop down on the right and poke through the wall with bair. I don't know if he can fit past the flippers or not.

On Puff's target test, all four targets can be broken using charged shot.

Other Information

Fox and Falco can break every target except the target in the box on Young Link's stage.

Yoshi can complete Puff's stage if you allow multiple deaths.

Marth can complete Puff's stage. But can't get out of the pit.

Pikachu can complete Puff's stage. And barely not make it out of the pit. I tried using double upward quick attack but you don't have enough momentum afterwards to land. If there was some way to get out though, Pikachu would be another character added.

Kirby can complete Puff's stage but can barely not make it out of the pit.

Luigi can complete puff's stage with misfires. But can't get out of the Young Link pit.

Ice Climbers can make it out of the Young Link pit. First Popo can make it out, then he can go down and teleport Nana out. They can't break the target in the box, however.

I don't think any unplayable character can complete every stage. The wire frames have terrible aerial drift and cannot complete Puff's. Giga Bowser can't get out of the pit. He also can't even make it to the bottom of Puff's stage as he can't make it between the damaging walls. I'm pretty sure Master Hand crashes the game if you try to load him without an opponent on the battle field. So the illegal characters are ruled out.

It's actually possible to clip through the wooden floor in puff's target test from above. You have to get pushed under by one of the moving obstacles. It also only seems to work on the right side. If there was away to make it work on the left side though, other characters might be added to this list.

On puff's stage, there are obstacles which quickly move from right to left. There is actually another one way off screen above the stage. It seems to spawn in random locations. It would probably be possible to get on to it in vanilla melee as puff, but very, very difficult.

Sources

Here's a great video of Samus doing every target test- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLIRgH-1Wh8. By Yaruzu Yaruzu

Savestate Savestate made me aware that Link can complete every stage. Which is basically also confirmation Young Link can.

T1GlistenerElf figured out that puff can complete every stage, utilizing the up b trick- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2cE3bzZPSo&t=331s

In a comment on this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAPw7IFPU-Q, "Customgamer9", https://www.youtube.com/user/Customgamer9, lays out the chain strat which allows Sheik/Zelda to complete puff's stage.

In the same comment thread, "Iiruzt", https://www.youtube.com/user/liruzt, mentions that mewtwo can make it out of the pit.

Here Asher shows that it is possible to do Puff's break the targets with Luigi- at least if you always misfire. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB3YF_mPTlU

Thanks to all these people who have contributed something to the melee community!

Last edited:
Top Bottom