• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters That Best Sum Up Their Smash Game

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
If possible, I want to keep character representation to the Smash games they were first introduced in but I won't hesitate if they fit the bill. I'm also limiting myself to 3 characters at most to represent the game.

Smash 64
:kirby64: Starting off with Kirby, he was one of the more powerful characters of the game, Sakurai's original character, and represented the game fairly well in the way that he could take the abilities of other opponents in this new diverse fighter game.
:pikachu64: Pikachu was another really good character in the game but the biggest reason I included him is in 64 characters experienced a lot of hit stun from attacks compared to future games and Pikachu I believe best represents that fact.

Melee
:foxmelee: FOX, NO ITEMS, OMEGA STAGE ONLY!
Jokes aside, I believe Fox overwhelmingly best represents Melee with his hyper fast gameplay and stylish tricks and continual dominance throughout the many many years of this game.
Alternatively, I could see :falcomelee::marthmelee::jigglypuffmelee::falconmelee: also being picked.

Brawl
:metaknight: Lets get the obvious one out of the way. Meta Knight was indeed the META of the game, to the point of being banned by most and I think he left too powerful of a mark on history to ignore as one of the most defining and infamous characters of the game.
:diddy: In Brawl a infamous mechanic was introduced. You all know it as tripping… What better way to encapsulate that than Diddy, a new charcter who used that new mechanic to his advantage with his 2 bananas!
:snake: Brawl was a grittier looking and slower moving smash game and this suits Snake, the surprising newcomer, just fine. I also had to include a character who had a heavy focus on grab strings and I think Snake fits well enough with his down 'throw' which could be devastating on some characters or opponents.

Smash 4
:4villager: While Villager never dominated nor was excessively played and further thrown into obscurity with DLC, I think the character is one of the best representations of the incredibly defensive gameplay of Smash 4 and the introduction of many zoners as newcomers.
:4cloud: Cloud was a devastating new addition through DLC that a lot of people picked up or enjoyed. So much so that it wasn't uncommon to hear "Yeah, I have a pocket Cloud". And its not hard to see why with his giant sword and use of limit. Usage of the limit mechanic in Smash 4 probably encapsulated the gameplay of the game fairly well as it allowed you to play fairly campy with the character if you wanted to because of sitting in the corner charging it then biding your time as the opponent hesitated to attack in light of your now powerful attacks.
:4bayonetta: She was another dominating force that best characterized the end of Smash 4 as she was the last character added as DLC and many people switched to her, going on to win tournaments onward.

Smash Ultimate
Currently its hard to say what characters best sum up this game as all of them have returned and more will be added. There also needs to be more time for buffs/nerfs to characters and how the overall metagame shapes in the future. That said, I'll do my best with what the game is looking like so far.
:ultwolf: As of the writing of this post (Before 3.0.0 update), Wolf is practically everything you'd want in a overall solid character, minus the slightly lackluster recovery which in this topic perfectly cements him as one of the main picks as many other characters in this game have recoveries that aren't great or got nerfed from past games. He has lots of power, a lack of lag comparatively, the range of a swordie, and arguably one of the best projectiles in the game.
:ultchrom: Chrom I simply had to add for now because he is a new sword wielder and Fire Emblem character, a combination that is just so dominant in the current metagame and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
:ultpichu: Pichu for the first time is a relevant character and makes his triumphant return! He is one of my picks though because of his current dominance in the metagame and how well he encapsulates the aggressive nature of the game on top of the advantage of being a small character which is a great strength in this game.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
So is this like who could be chosen to represent their Smash game, for like a Madden-type cover or something?

MK is the poster child for Brawl. No one else compared because when any other character beat an MK player of similar skill, it was considered an upset. Diddy Kong would be the clear-cut representative of S4, considering the DLC didn't really start making an impact until S4 already started to wane in popularity. Then Fox for Melee, and Pika or Kirby for 64. And probably 20+ characters for Ultimate. I dunno.

Though I'm only guessing that's what this thread is about.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
So is this like who could be chosen to represent their Smash game, for like a Madden-type cover or something?

MK is the poster child for Brawl. No one else compared because when any other character beat an MK player of similar skill, it was considered an upset. Diddy Kong would be the clear-cut representative of S4, considering the DLC didn't really start making an impact until S4 already started to wane in popularity. Then Fox for Melee, and Pika or Kirby for 64. And probably 20+ characters for Ultimate. I dunno.

Though I'm only guessing that's what this thread is about.
Sorta. The thing is, we already know the 'best' characters in each game so thats not really what this topic is about. Though, as you see, it greatly influences the choices. Its more about what characters best represent the game as a whole, from new mechanics that were introduced, certain play styles that were prevalent/optimal, and who was mainly being played.
I know the idea of the topic isn't super clear but I'd go back and look at the descriptions I gave for :pikachu64: in Smash 64, :foxmelee: in Melee, :diddy::snake: in Brawl, :4villager::4cloud: in Smash 4, and all the characters I listed in Ultimate if your still having a hard time understanding my intent.

The reason I didn't add Diddy for Smash 4 (though I thought about it) is I thought he best represented the tripping mechanic which was prevalent in Brawl and somewhat unique to Diddy's moveset. You might not agree with my Diddy pick which is totally fine but my reasoning is the characters I chose to represent Smash 4 :4cloud:&:4bayonetta: didn't leave much room for the slot that was suppose to encapsulate that game's defensive tendencies. Plus, Diddy didn't even originate from that Smash game which is something I prefaced was a factor. I also didn't want to use a character for more than one game.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
By Smash game, you mean the competitive side of the game? Because that seems to be basis of your justifications.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
By Smash game, you mean the competitive side of the game? Because that seems to be basis of your justifications.
Primarily yes but not entirely. The competitive side is the main inspiration for my picks but the overall game mechanics and a couple other things are a factor too.
I probably should have explained things better from the get go as this has some out of the box thinking in my approach to the topic. I was hoping as people read the reasons for each character that they'd get a better idea for what I was meaning.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I would argue that the most representative characters are the ones who generate the most hype and best encapsulate the themes of Smash, as well as providing new gameplay opportunities. So, for each game, they are...

• Smash 64:
    • :mario64::pikachu64::link64::kirby64:: The main faces of Nintendo, and the establishing mark of the collection of all-stars.
    • :ness64:: As well as some stranger picks...
    • :falcon64:: ...as well as the original meme fountain.
  • Melee:
    • :bowsermelee::zeldamelee::peachmelee:: We're no longer restricted to main characters only! Villains, sidekicks, and love interests are all welcome!
    • :falcomelee::drmario::pichumelee:: We're not afraid to copy-paste characters, but we'll change up their move properties and statistics so they play differently enough to feel like individuals.
    • :marthmelee::roymelee:: Hey America, we're gonna blow your mind.
    • :icsmelee::gawmelee:: Just because this is first and foremost a collection of all-stars doesn't mean we can't have some relatively unknown names and blasts from the past mixed in.
    • :foxmelee::sheikmelee::jigglypuffmelee:: Hey, wait a second, what are you doing, this is supposed to be a casual party game, dammit-
  • Brawl:
    • :metaknight:: Sakurai's baby finally gets more love. Oh, and the mystery swordsman has brought a cool new mechanic named gliding with him. (Wait, what are you doing- oh ****, we completely bungled gameplay balance...)
    • :ivysaur::charizard::squirtle:: Some characters will mix up the game and provide an experience totally unlike any other!
    • :olimar::lucario:: More gimmicks.
    • :rob:: The savior of video games. Bet you weren't expecting this relic, eh?
    • :snake::sonic:: The series is no longer Nintendo-exclusive; any video gaming icon is fair game!
  • Smash 4:
    • :4megaman::4pacman:: We're not done with the third parties, not by a long shot.
      • :4ryu::4cloud::4bayonetta:: Nope, still not done. And, no, we aren't afraid to include characters better known for featuring in our competitors' games, either. (Hang on, what the- oh no, not again...)
    • :4littlemac:: We're not done with the gimmicks, either.
      • :4zelda::4sheik::4zss::4charizard:: We did have to simplify things a little, though...
    • :4wiifit::4duckhunt:: We're not done making you scratch your heads in disbelief, either.
    • :4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword:: There’s no way we can give all of you what you want, so we'll let you put your own dream characters in!
    • :4mewtwo:: BTW, DLC is gonna be a thing this time around.
  • Ultimate:
    • :ultinkling:: Our new gimmick character.
    • :ultsnake::ultpichu:: EVERYONE IS HERE!
    • :ultridley::ultkrool:: They finally made it after over 15 years of begging!
    • :ultdaisy::ultchrom::ultken:: Hello, Echo.
    • :ultsimon::ultrichter:: Because Castlevania has been left out for far too long!
    • :ultpiranha:: SURPRISE, MOTHERLOVER.

Last edited:
:ultinkling:

New Character who is synonymous with SSBU because Offence > Defence in this game due to the nerfed defensive mechanics such as shield, rolling etc as well as buffed offensive tools like aerial attacks. Why learn a million match ups when you can just make anyone play on your terms? Well, that's what SSBU is to me. I do think defensive styles aren't exactly missing in top play but it usually involves some form of pro-activeness like :ultsnake: grenades as an example.

Last edited:

Fiorello

Smash Rookie
-Smash Ultimate-
Ganondorf: because you run around a lot and then you say “ooh did you just commit to an option?” And then you kill them
-Smash 64-
Captain Falcon: because you kill them in one combo off of a grab and the wild hitstun
-Melee-
Fox: because you need big **** APM to play him
-Brawl-
Dedede: because he sucks mostly except for his broken grab and spot dodge
-Smash 4-
Probably also Dedede because I only played that **** on 3 D’s my dude

Top Bottom