• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokkén Tournament Characterization of Pokemon

Professor Lexicovermis

Smash Journeyman
I really love how much character the fighters were given in this game. So far, I've only really played as Chandelure, but I love the personality shown in its animations. It really strikes me as adorable but unhinged. For example, one of its intros has it appear to talk to a Will-O-Wisp and giggle as though they shared a joke. If it loses a round, it laughs maniacally as one of its eyes twitches. What do you all think about the sheer amount of personality in the animations?

SSJ X Cloud Strife

Smash Rookie
While I don't own the game yet, I haven't watched enough footage to know what you're talking about.

This is why I love the animations in Smash 4. The little character nuisances are where you can feel the love and dedication from the developer. Back to Pokken, I love Pikachu's one intro where she points to the opponent Pokemon while looking in the direction of where the trainer would be, with a scowl on her face. As if to say "You want me to kick their ass?"
Reminds me of the anime and so cute.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Personalities are very prevalent in this game. Gives this game a special "feel" to it where you can relate to the playables in a unique manner. You can see the personalities of each pokemon clearly, giving you a feeling of "being" that character.

Jexulus

Omnivore of the Year
NNID
Jexulus
3DS FC
3883-5870-2795
The personalities, especially as shown in the multiple entry/win/lose animations, are pretty great. My only issue is that Mewtwo looks more bored than intimidating. Shadow Mewtwo is fine because his power is more liberally demonstrated, but standard Mewtwo could have used a bit more flavor.

Basically, he's Vin Diesel in The Last Witch Hunter: bored because he knows he can't lose. And just like then, it doesn't quite work here.

Life

Smash Hero
Can I just add that it's really funny the way Weavile tries so very hard not to be cute and fails spectacularly?

Simperheve

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Simperheve
I do like how well characterized the Pokemon are in this game. They feel like fighters with personalities, even if they don't have any actual spoken lines.

For Pokemon that can be either gender, some of the Pokemon are animated to seem more like one gender or the other. I suppose the most prominent example of this is how Feminine Gardevoir seems in this game.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
I really like the characterizations they gave a lot of these pokémon. I was really surprised by Chandelure's personality. I was not expecting that at all! But I love it! Also Gengar is pretty hilarious in everything he does, kinda like Wario in smash! I absolutely love what they did with Pikachu Libre! I expected regular Pikachu to be the cute one and Pikachu Libre to be the intimidating, serious one. I could not have been more wrong! Normal Pika is scary! and Pikachu Libre is the most adorable thing! Braixen is pretty funny too, and in battles between Pika Libre and Braixen, it looks like they are just doing a show for the spectators to watch. They don't care as much about winning as they care about looking stylish while they do it!

Lucario though, seems to have two very different personalities throughout the games and movies. In the Lucario movie and in smash, there is the talking lucario that seems very intelligent, honorable, and calm, whereas Lucario in the anime and in pokkén seems like a savage beast that goes on a complete frenzy whenever he is called into battle, basically the foil of talking Lucario.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I certainly love Braixen's personality. Really cute and adorable.

Shadow Mewtwo could probably use more in the personality department though. His animations are a bit boring.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
I was kinda hoping that one of the Mewtwos would be like the feminine Mewtwo from the Genesect movie. It would be nice to differentiate the two Mewtwos like that. Also I liked the feminine mewtwo, a lot more complex and deep than the male mewtwo, which while more complex than most pokémon, was still pretty surface level in personality.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I do like how well characterized the Pokemon are in this game. They feel like fighters with personalities, even if they don't have any actual spoken lines.

For Pokemon that can be either gender, some of the Pokemon are animated to seem more like one gender or the other. I suppose the most prominent example of this is how Feminine Gardevoir seems in this game.
Not really surprising considering Gallade is now seen as the male counterpart. The biggest surprise personality is probably Chandelure, a far cry from it's spooky Pokedex descriptions and eerie game... cry.

Can I just add that it's really funny the way Weavile tries so very hard not to be cute and fails spectacularly?
So... basically a cat, then.

Braixen is pretty funny too, and in battles between Pika Libre and Braixen, it looks like they are just doing a show for the spectators to watch. They don't care as much about winning as they care about looking stylish while they do it!
Don't forget Machamp, sometimes it feels like half the reason he's fighting is to show the world how strong and manly he is.

My mention goes to Sceptile, though he doesn't stand out as much as the others (but then again, it kind of fits with his "ninja" motif), the little reptilian touches such as crawling like the lizard he is speak to me.

Top Bottom