• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character you'd look forward to unlocking MOST?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
So since we do have our confirmed Starter Characters which are all the characters introduced in Smash 64, I was wondering which characters you would be looking forward to unlocking before any other characters. Everything introduced in Melee and After are ALL unlockable, so that should give you plenty of options.

For me I would look forward most to unlocking Bowser, Pichu and Snake.

Which Character(s) would you look forward to unlocking most? For the sake of this post, let's do confirmed characters and/or veterans.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I'm a HUGE fan of unlockables because I felt that Wii U/3DS cheapened the idea of getting unlockables fast just by doing certain things. Melee had a wonderful version of how to unlock people (Mewtwo and Pichu being two of the hardest when I was just a kid) plus Brawl's felt like a chore with the Subspace. I'd like to see them do it similar to Melee's version again

Vanguard227

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vanguard227
Switch FC
SW 4222 8780 9424
I also hope the unlocking method is similar to Melee's. Seeing that challenger approaching screen after finally completing a tough unlock requirement was always hype. As for who I'm looking forward to unlocking the most, it would be Marth, Ike and Ganondorf. I've stuck with them, along with Link, throughout my entire Smash career. (Just look at my sig. lol)

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Obviously some will be a challenge others will be quite easy but this is the best part about smash bros you do a certain task then you hear that siren noise then see a silhouette of who's challenging you then do a 1 on 1 battle win to unlock battle and the best part you get to do it 50+ times this time the most out of every game

He said they are streamlined but definitely not so easy and fast a caveman can do and less than 24 hours type of difficulty for all them probably a 4th/3rd of them takes a tiny bit of climbing

If I get switch someday Ridley will hopefully be the first one to unlock

Maybe "beat classic with Samus on #.# diffculty or higher" or "Ko the boss hazard on pyrosphere stage" (if this one comes back anyway)

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Ridley. I've waited almost 17 years for him to finally make it into the roster, and you can sure as hell bet I'd have a massive grin on my face when I finally get to unlocking him. Also the fact that I feel it makes a ton of sense to have him unlockable since do you really think he's the kind of character who would just let any person control him immediately? Nah, you gotta beat him first if you want to play as him.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Ridley. I've waited almost 17 years for him to finally make it into the roster, and you can sure as hell bet I'd have a massive grin on my face when I finally get to unlocking him. Also the fact that I feel it makes a ton of sense to have him unlockable since do you really think he's the kind of character who would just let any person control him immediately? Nah, you gotta beat him first if you want to play as him.
Agreed easily theory one will be beating classic with either Samus on a certain difficulty in whatever mode

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
:ultdaisy::ultpeach::ultrosalina::ulticeclimbers::ultinkling::ultolimar::ultbayonetta::ultzelda::ultpalutena::ultwario::ultvillager:

All these. With the first three being in that exact order

EDIT: Also Geno cause I have faith that he will be in the game as a playable character not an assist trophy or a custom Mii outfit

Last edited:

Pirate Goomba

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BackburningPyro
3DS FC
3969-6919-4080
Switch FC
2859 5488 3187
I'm amazed that Ridley actually is a fighter.

As for unlocks - Likely going to be x amount of KO's on multiplayer OR a single player condition.

Beat story mode hard with 3 stocks with Samus to get the chance to vs Ridley to unlock him. (64 smash style) would be best.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Daisy. All Daisy. I've been campaigning for her inclusion since before Brawl's release.

Plus, since I've never mained Peach before, I want to get into training mode with Daisy as soon as I possibly can so I don't fall behind.

After that? Probably Inklings. Just because I friggin' love Splatoon.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Pokémon Trainer.
Zelda.
And Riddles of course.

I miss Squirtle most, and I usually have Zelda, Dorf, Ike, and DHD with high playtimes. Can’t wait to play Ridley though.

Heatswave

Smash Apprentice
I also hope for Melee-like unlocking methods, that was so much fun back in the days...

As for who I want to unlock the most (assuming we get the orignal 12 as starting characters):
:ultfalco::ultlucas::ultshulk::ultmewtwo::ultwolf::ultdaisy::ultridley:

Last edited:

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
I'm gonna be boring and say everyone. Just being able to see every Smash character thats ever been in the series in one game on one screen will be amazing.

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
just wanting megaman back so i can play the game normally

good ****ing luck deciphering what ****ing road leads to him tho XD

Galgatha

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SinChill
I look forward to unlocking everybody :D That will always be my first priority when it comes to Smash! :p

But in all seriousness, my 2 mains, Falco and Bowser Jr. I need my mains

Arthur97

Smash Master
I'm a HUGE fan of unlockables because I felt that Wii U/3DS cheapened the idea of getting unlockables fast just by doing certain things. Melee had a wonderful version of how to unlock people (Mewtwo and Pichu being two of the hardest when I was just a kid) plus Brawl's felt like a chore with the Subspace. I'd like to see them do it similar to Melee's version again
Brawl actually had several ways to unlock each character. Typically, you could either play so many VS. matches or fulfill certain requirements. Both of which involved a battle. One or two may have even had more criteria. People seem to forget that.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
All the third parties. Brawl's release night was the first time I ever pulled an all nighter, with all of my friends from school. We wanted Sonic, so badly. No one made us more excited.

At the time, we only knew Sonic took 300 matches to unlock, but we didn't want to wait. So we ran through classic mode ten times, alternating each time to keep ourselves going. We weren't even sure if that was a legitimate way, since Sonic was apparently the only character with 4 unlock methods.

But he showed up with that siren, and we cheered. They handed the controller to me, since it was my copy.

...Aaaand I lost.

Then I went back through as Mario.

Finished him off with a Final Smash (God forbit if Sonic's AI got that thing...) and we popped off my basement couch. It was one of the single greatest moments of my gaming career.

I want to experience something even close to that again.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Brawl actually had several ways to unlock each character. Typically, you could either play so many VS. matches or fulfill certain requirements. Both of which involved a battle. One or two may have even had more criteria. People seem to forget that.
Right. The biggest letdown of it was just going through Subspace and be able to get almost all the characters in 1-2 days as opposed to Melee

solskenslakt

Smash Rookie
NNID
monsieurrorro
3DS FC
2509-4165-5099
Super obvious, but honestly Zelda, especially because of all the (mostly subtle but important) buffs she's got. The possibility of Zelda finally being viable is just exciting. I have always loved playing her so I'm very happy they kept her mostly the same and just addressed some very obvious issues she had. Even if she ended up still being bottom tier, I'd be pleased with what they've changed.

Last edited:

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
I hope you can unlock them all through vs mode like in melee and brawl. I'm like gonna get the game at its midnight release and play free for alls with friends until like 5am in the morning unlocking stuff. I can't wait!

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I’ll definitely be gunning for :ulticeclimbers: because I missed them so much in Smash 4. Can’t wait to finally see them in glorious HD!!

Also will be very exciting to unlock :ultridley: and :ultinkling: becuase I’m dying to see how they play.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Probably Ivysaur. I love Dedede, but I havn't seen Ivysaur for such a long time, I can't wait to see how she plays in the new game.

After that? I'll probably see how Dedede has changed, which is hopefully quite a bit, since he was one of the bottom 4 in Smash 4.
And even after that? I'm also interested in Lucas, Zelda and Inkling, but I really need to figure out how they feel. I got a feeling I might just really enjoy the Inkling.

JazzaDawg

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1178-2246-1598
Switch FC
2923 8939 4091
Marth obviously but i'm hell exited for wolf's return

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Priority number one and two is to unlock my mains Wario and Bowser. After that is to get King K. Rool and Geno if he somehow gets in haha. I’m dreaming hard guys! Dreaming real HARD!

Jexulus

Omnivore of the Year
NNID
Jexulus
3DS FC
3883-5870-2795
Mii Brawler because it's by far the most fun Mii for me to mess around with, especially when I play one with a dumb costume like the Cat Costume and chuck the Shot Put at people. That said, I really like the overhaul the Miis have gotten, and if their major design issues are fixed, that counter grab is definitely going to be one of the most fun things to use.

Mega Man because he was just on the cusp of clicking for me, but I just couldn't mesh with his playstyle in Smash 4. I'm hoping the combined engine changes and character-specific changes help me understand him a little better.

Mewtwo because my profile picture.

And Ridley, because if I wait too long to unlock him, he might not fit in the character select screen.

Last edited:

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I would really want to unlock that secret obscure character that Sakurai sneaked in and didn't announce. Just like how it was before when you unlocked someone like Ness or Marth and went, "Who is that?"

Glitch_Wiz

Smash Cadet
Everyone. Just... everyone. Even though I dislike how most of them play, i'd just want everyone. If I had to pick though... it'd be a tough choice, but I'd go for Shulk.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Definitely :ultridley: and :ultsnake:. I just want to go through unlocking the characters since it was the most fun part of all games to me, especially Melee.

In fact, I'd love to see unlocking methods being a more streamlined Melee. As in, no of course "complete Classic with all characters except x to unlock x", but, idk, nods like "complete Classic with all Melee veterans to unlock G&W"? that'd be cool (and obviously no Mewtwo unlocking method please)

Like, clones/semiclones could be easily unlocked like "complete Classic with (original character)". In the case of Toon Link/Young Link and Lucina/Roy, I guess "complete Classic with (character unlocked first)" could work. Falco could be hidden behind 100-man Melee like in the other games. If the SSB64 unlockables are indeed unlockables this time around, I guess Luigi's unlocking method could again be related to the number 2 like in Melee?

There are many possibilities of how they could keep it simple, yet interesting. Brawl kept it too simple up to the point it felt like a chore at points, while I'm sure if I didn't ever look in a walkthrough, I would never have figured out some of the SSB4's unlocking methods since they were kinda weird, imagine to someone that legit didn't know which were the unlockables.

Plus, of course, for the crowd that skips singleplayer, the "x VS matches" method must come back. I guess each 5 or 10 matches could work well considering we'll get around 60 unlockable characters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom