• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Utility Formula (A Project in Progress)

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
A long time ago, I constructed what would later morph into an active utility formula. Here it is:

Va= Q^-z*t/q,

where, Va is active utility, Q is the quantity of a good that one estimates as necessary to accomplish a task, z is the number of alternative goods that can accomplish the same task, t is the time anticipated to elapse before another unit of the good may be acquired, and q is the quantity of a good that one expects to find in unit time.

It is difficult to describe exactly what led me to extend it to the context of game analysis, but I shall lay out the rough meaning of it for Smash Bros. characters as an example:

The game of Smash Bros has a primary objective-- launch the opponent character beyond an upper, lower, left, or right blast zone without (of course) being launched beyond these. Provided a reference stage (such as Final Destination) and a fixed distance from each blast zone, the distance is used as a basis for the player's approximation of how many times they would have to apply a given condition to K.O. the opponent. Fortunately, one need not account for knockback scaling and the background mechanics, as active utility falls within the class of 'subjective formulae,'-- all that really matters is the player's approximation, and how it is affected by changing conditions controllably... (I shall return to update this after figuring passive utility).

Last edited:
Top Bottom