Character Threads Takeover Plan

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Hello everyone.

Not much has been going on in the Back Room lately. The most common explanation I get about it is that we just started with this BR and that it's usually expected. However I don't really think things have to go that slowly. We have ended the whole discussion on our new stage list and we're waiting on AsianAussie to write it all up officially. But why exactly are we waiting? Once something is done, shouldn't we move on to a new subject? The doctrine says we have to follow a strict schedule, but in my honest opinion, I don't think we have the right approach to using the BR. There's a whole idea in the doctrine about "separating the work" and giving this or that role to each member of the BR, and I don't predict this is gonna work out well. Why? Well, members have heavily varying degrees of activity, which means that if one person is slow or late on his project, it'll affect the whole team in a pretty bad way. We should keep it simple, have the most active members organize everything and have everyone else just discuss and contribute. While I approved of discussing the ruleset first (and it went OK), some other projects like "a new tier list" are not quite relevant. What is the point of a new tier list? For me at least, what matters more is for us to contribute to the community and giving them new stuff that helps improve our overall scene (guides, new matchups discussions, etc.). Of course, it's not my intention to change all the initial plan AA had with this BR but rather to share my ideas on what we could do to truly help the Smash 64 community.

After this long introduction, I'd like to present an idea I had for a while that could help us a lot for our work: taking over the character specific discussion threads.

By "character specific discussion threads", I mean those threads. As we all know, a thread has been made for each character and contains general discussion with them. So far they've been acting a bit like social threads. However, I see a LOT more potential in them. After seeing that the Mario and Link ones had a guide in the opening post I realized that all the character threads could act as our platforms for all that we contribute in terms of character and matchup discussions. We could insert in each of the threads' opening posts our future character and matchup BR discussions, to serve as guides and information for new and intermediate players alike.

However we have one obvious problem, those threads have not been created by the BR. Some of them have been made by people who probably won't ever bother updating the threads any time. There's an easy solution to that. DMoogle or Surri-Sama would just need to change the author of the opening posts into someone from the BR who will manage the threads and add all the info we produce. It is not an easy task for said person, because he will have to update those OP's often and keep them organized.

So, in a nutshell: have someone from the BR manage every single character thread, so he can add all the material we discuss here in them.

Advantages:
  • it'll show the community that we are actually working for them
  • it'll give a more official and professional look to the character threads
  • it'll help us get new players, and will help many others in improving

So yeah...

What do you guys think about it?

Who would be interested in managing the Smash 64 Character Specific Discussion threads?

I apologise for my lack of activity...just been in a cbf everything mood lately...and lol I'm not planning much for the backroom, I'm still waiting for JV to post that global announcement he promised a month ago lol

To tell the truth I don't even have more than a skeleton of a ruleset, I'll work on that in the days to come. It'll be posted by next week, mark my words. At that point we can discuss anything that needs changing.

Managing a character thread isn't that bad, just subscribe to it and check up every now and then. Mine's so long it actually deters posts, which is nice. If I recall correcly dandan has the Pikachu one, but I'm not sure about the rest.

Nixxxon had the link one originally, but I started a new thread with the OP and surri transplanted all the existing posts into my thread, so I guess that's how it'll be done.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Nixxxon had the link one originally, but I started a new thread with the OP and surri transplanted all the existing posts into my thread, so I guess that's how it'll be done.
Yeah that's exactly what I mean. All you'd have to do is create each character thread (also without a weird thread name, just make it simple and clean) and transfer all the posts there.

I don't have the OP, but if anyone really wants a character thread, post their request here. First come first served, unless there are certain circumstances that warrant other considerations.

The Link one is also up for takings - I've done the guide, but discussion and compilation of information can easily be done by someone else...though it's probably more convenient if I keep it.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Look, different people taking different threads might not be a good idea unless we're really sure they're gonna do their job with them. But I guess we can work like that at first, then if it's not efficient, we'll just have one person manageing all threads.

I'd love to take the Falcon one.

I'll talk about what we can put in those threads later.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
I wouldn't mind doing the Pika thread nor would i mind if dandan does it :p

This is a good idea and a good start to helping the BR make the smash64 section even better.

If we could find someone willing to take over all the char sections and keep them ALL up to date that'd be great but i dunno who this mystery person is.

For this i say we get a group of people who are willing to update and manage these threads consistently.

They would be the project group responsible for handling updates and such within the char sections...and technically this is how we are suppose to do all projects anyways but...i dont think most of our projects will be broken into groups.

This one however seems to be better off with a group.

This thread is a registration of interest atm lol

I can't see anyone managing all 12 threads. I'm pretty sure everyone here has a life.
We should have recruited near.

I'll take the Link one, I don't think anyone but me has read my whole guide, nor likes playing Link as much...

Luigi:
Mario:
DK:
Link: asianaussie
Samus:
Falcon: SuPeRbOoM/King Funk
Ness:
Yoshi:
SheerMadness
Kirby:
Fox:
Pikachu: dandan/Surri-Sama
Jigglypuff:

Copypaste to OP if it so please you.

Man, the title of this thread sounds notorious.

Out of those not taken, I can take any of Kirby/Fox/Samus/Ness/Jigglypuff I guess.

I just realized the 3 characters I don't like in this game are all Mario characters >_>

s2j

Smash Master
i am not too interested in this idea actually

if u want you can force a character onto me as long as its not puff, kirby, mario, luigi