• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Theft: Who could be the copycat?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
In this rendition of Smash Bros, we are getting a lot of popular fighting game mechanics as options in the game! Power Meters for a Final Smash, Stamina Mode as a primary fight- and who is to say that we do not have more in store?

One of the most popular fighting ideas that I would like to see involved is the idea of a copycat character. Sure, we have the random button, but that has no character! I want to choose a specific character, and then not know as whom I'll be fighting.
In other games, we have Ditto, or Mokujin, or Shang Tsung- all vary slightly in how they copy other characters, but a common thread is that a large portion of their moves are derived from being another character. The bottom line is that it is another character, with mostly recycled assets. That seems like another common thread this game, but in a recycled, fun way!

Now, this conversation could go into a lot of directions, but most importantly is the question: Who might be an iconic character who could fill this fighting game void for Smash Ultimate?
Is there a third party Iconic enough (perhaps Steve, though it doesnt feel very 'minecraft' to me in that sense).
How about a Nintendo character? It really could have been Ditto quite easily... it could have even been the Miis. Who might make sense here? Is it even a valid idea to you to get a copycat shapeshifter?

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I'm not sure the concept would work to great with Smash given how different each character is. You have Yoshi who has a long tongue, Bowser who can retract into his own shell, the Koopalings in a vehicle, Pokemon Trainer who can swap characters on the fly, and so on. Then of course the variety of body types which are linked with the movesets lest we wind up with something like "Longchu" again.

I guess Ditto might work since it can morph its body, but its already a Pokeball summon so it wouldn't be playable.

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
Ditto would've been a solid choice, but I can see why Sakurai made him a Poke Ball Pokemon because he was intended to be one back in Melee.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
I say MEW ! since ditto is already a AT & mew is litterally a copyCAT ! lol XD pluse mew VS mewtwo :D

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Maybe the game's equivelent of the Fighting Polygon team and they scramble which fighter they are with every stock.

Will see no Competitive use until someone with a working knowledge of all characters uses them to win one regional tournament against a favourite and then BANNED FOREVER!

Last edited:

JonSmash

Smash Ace
a fighting polygon copycat character sounds awesome ! SOMEONE TELL DADDY SAKURAI !

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I mean...we do have one to an extent already:

Ditto would have been cool too though, but I can't think of anyone more iconic than Ditto or Kirby for this role. Mew possibly, but it's not what Mew's biggest claim to fame is unlike with Ditto.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
I mean...we do have one to an extent already:

Ditto would have been cool too though, but I can't think of anyone more iconic than Ditto or Kirby for this role. Mew possibly, but it's not what Mew's biggest claim to fame is unlike with Ditto.
Who’s after :4lucina: but before :4megaman: under :4greninja:

Last edited:
Top Bottom