• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Tech Showcase: Kirby

Which character should we cover next?

• Little Mac

Votes: 60 23.6%
  • Shulk

Votes: 112 44.1%
  • Mega Man

Votes: 82 32.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

It's been more than a year since Smash 4 came out, and many things have happened since then. The early 3DS days, the rise and fall of Diddy Kong, low tier buffs, new stages and most importantly, new characters. Since the release of the game, a lot of advanced techniques have been discovered that have revolutionized the fundamental gameplay. Some carried over from Brawl and some were brand new, but all of them changed the game we play.

This will be the first of a series of articles that analyzes what some characters can do with all the discovered ATs, both general techniques and character-specific.This week, we'll be analyzing a smash veteran: the Star Warrior Kirby!

Ever since 64, Kirby has had a special ability that allows him to steal the abilities of all the other fighters, using them against their owners. That very same ability allows Kirby to utilize almost all the character-specific ATs that involve the use of neutral special moves, which really comes in handy in certain matchups.

We got Vinylic and Phantom from the Kirby discord chat, as well as Mike Kirby, the top Kirby player, to help us understand what this character can do with all his tools.

General ATs

There are a couple of advanced techniques that are available to every character. Kirby can use them all, but only a few are useful to him. Phantom shared his opinions on Rapid Jab Cancelling: "If Kirby has his back to the ledge, he can cancel his rapid jab animation after the 7th rapid jab hit. Follow-ups can include immediate double jump Dair, but isn't guaranteed." That's because every character with a rapid jab gets pushed back after a certain amount of time. This can be used in some interesting ways. This also happens when he's facing a ledge: "If Kirby is facing the ledge and is in his teetering animation he can cancel his rapid jab animation between the 7th and 8th hits. Follow-ups include immediate Dair to footstool, but isn't guaranteed."

With perfect pivots, Kirby gets a much needed mobility upgrade, which is very useful because his up tilt, one of his best moves and combo starters, starts from behind. "Nair also combos into PP Ftilt at mid %s (around 45%). It's notable because the Ftilt knocks the opponent out of tumble and can catch them off guard" Phantom adds.

Character-specific?

Now, we address one of the most useful techs in Kirby's arsenal: B-reverse.
Why, you ask? Because the pink puffball has access to all the neutral-B moves in the game! You can B-reverse a variety of different moves in unexpected ways. B-reverse Villager's pocket to safely land on stage. Or use Lucario's Aura Sphere to trap the opponent in his shield. Kirby also has access to Diddy Kong's b-reverse popgun, which can be used to mix up the landing.

Of course, B-reversing is not the only thing Kirby can do with the stolen moves. He also gets more combo options and kill confirms as well. With Pac-man's Bonus Fruit and Villager's Pocket, he gets more damage out of his throws and can even kill if he pocketed something heavy beforehand. "DK/Samus/Pacman give you some meaty throw combo that can kill if you're close enough to the ledge. It can definitely clutch out matches." adds MikeKirby.

However, there's a special technique that only Kirby gets access to when he gets Olimar's copy ability, caled Pluck Dashing.

A clip from Ƥнαη7σϻ's channel
You don't have to use it, as just throwing Pikmin alone puts them in a disadvantage , but can be very helpful in some ways," Vinyl says. You can also do any attack out of the glide, so this technique really helps approaching against Olimar.

This has been a lot of information, but there's still much more than what we got here. If you still want to learn more about this character, you can head over to the character boards! Also, be sure to give a follow to Vinyl, Phantom and Mike, who helped a lot with the article. And of course, a big shoutout to MySmashCorner. He has a lot of informative videos, and he's covered most of the general techs that we described in this article, including a video about Kirby's copy abilities. You can head over to his channel if you like.

Did you like the article? Want to see more articles like this? Let us know in the comments! Also, you can choose which character gets an article next, so cast your votes!

Last edited:
Alberto "RedNova" Vásquez

Comments

I always felt like Kirby could always rank a bit higher on the tier list. It always seemed that people only ever saw his neutral b as a command grab and nothing else. I hope to see more of Puffball the Space Warrior in the future, hopefully with an evolved metagame.

Also, just throwing this in here, but how the hell is Kirby considered worse than Ness in Melee? I would really appreciate a proper explanation.

I remember when I first saw Phantom's video on Pluck Gliding and I was fortunate enough to find an Olimar on FG. Needless to say, he didn't know what to do.

I remember when I first saw Phantom's video on Pluck Gliding and I was fortunate enough to find an Olimar on FG. Needless to say, he didn't know what to do.
We need an Olimar and Kirby doubles team that has strats focusing on this tech.

Surprised there's no mention of the backthrow animation cancelling, as it is an incredibly useful tool (I do it 90% of the time) it allows for great tech chasing and also quickly repositioning for stage control when people get thrown offstage, all Kirby players should know about it.

Last edited:
Surprised there's no mention of the backthrow animation cancelling, as it is an incredibly useful tool (I do it 90% of the time) it allows for great tech chasing and also quickly repositioning for stage control when people get thrown offstage, all Kirby players should know about it.
What do you mean? Like HUP-Cancel right after the animation? Or FF U-Air....or B-Air?

I always felt like Kirby could always rank a bit higher on the tier list. It always seemed that people only ever saw his neutral b as a command grab and nothing else. I hope to see more of Puffball the Space Warrior in the future, hopefully with an evolved metagame.

Also, just throwing this in here, but how the hell is Kirby considered worse than Ness in Melee? I would really appreciate a proper explanation.
aside from the obvious brokeness of kirby's throws, ness actually has good combos with DJC and a marginally better neutral with his Fair hitbox.

What do you mean? Like HUP-Cancel right after the animation? Or FF U-Air....or B-Air?
Backthrow, then you cancel the animation faster by doing a hup cancel in between a 2 frame window in the middle of the Bthrow animation, falling to the floor very quickly and being able to dash instantly from it. It saves you a LOT of time and it allows for better pressure and tech chasing in some cases, wich Kirby REALLY needs.

Not a counterpick but...
That Kirby plays very similar to me in the MU. Glad to know I've been tackling it the right way.

Last edited:
I always wondered how much milage Kirby got out of his copy abilities... too bad he only gets one move, unlike his games.

RedNova RedNova I'm also studying Software Engineering; working on my MS at East Carolina University.

I mean I've been playing since '09 in the same region as him so...
And you're going to say he's not a major player even with the accomplishments he's recently had?
He's proven he can fight at the level of other top players. That makes him notable, if absolutely nothing else.

Gotta love Kirby tech, just reminds me of the days of swallowing people and jumping of the ledge:kirby:
This reminds me, I have no idea how he got his name, but whenever Chudat got a neutral B kill I'd say, "Ha! You'd better chew on that!"

Ahh, the good ol' days.

And you're going to say he's not a major player even with the accomplishments he's recently had?
He's proven he can fight at the level of other top players. That makes him notable, if absolutely nothing else.
I was saying that through the years I've played with and around him I didn't expect him to become relevant.

That's all I said. I didn't say he wasn't notable. Jfc, assume the worst some more why don't you?

I was saying that through the years I've played with and around him I didn't expect him to become relevant.

That's all I said. I didn't say he wasn't notable. Jfc, assume the worst some more why don't you?
Context is so easy to misinterpret on the internet. My bad.

It's been more than a year since Smash 4 came out, and many things have happened since then. The early 3DS days, the rise and fall of Diddy Kong, low tier buffs, new stages and most importantly, new characters. Since the release of the game, a lot of advanced techniques have been discovered that have revolutionized the fundamental gameplay. Some carried over from Brawl and some were brand new, but all of them changed the game we play.

This will be the first of a series of articles that analyzes what some characters can do with all the discovered ATs, both general techniques and character-specific.This week, we'll be analyzing a smash veteran: the Star Warrior Kirby!

Ever since 64, Kirby has had a special ability that allows him to steal the abilities of all the other fighters, using them against their owners. That very same ability allows Kirby to utilize almost all the character-specific ATs that involve the use of neutral special moves, which really comes in handy in certain matchups.

We got Vinylic and Phantom from the Kirby discord chat, as well as Mike Kirby, the top Kirby player, to help us understand what this character can do with all his tools.

General ATs

There are a couple of advanced techniques that are available to every character. Kirby can use them all, but only a few are useful to him. Phantom shared his opinions on Rapid Jab Cancelling: "If Kirby has his back to the ledge, he can cancel his rapid jab animation after the 7th rapid jab hit. Follow-ups can include immediate double jump Dair, but isn't guaranteed." That's because every character with a rapid jab gets pushed back after a certain amount of time. This can be used in some interesting ways. This also happens when he's facing a ledge: "If Kirby is facing the ledge and is in his teetering animation he can cancel his rapid jab animation between the 7th and 8th hits. Follow-ups include immediate Dair to footstool, but isn't guaranteed."

With perfect pivots, Kirby gets a much needed mobility upgrade, which is very useful because his up tilt, one of his best moves and combo starters, starts from behind. "Nair also combos into PP Ftilt at mid %s (around 45%). It's notable because the Ftilt knocks the opponent out of tumble and can catch them off guard" Phantom adds.

Character-specific?

Now, we address one of the most useful techs in Kirby's arsenal: B-reverse.
Why, you ask? Because the pink puffball has access to all the neutral-B moves in the game! You can B-reverse a variety of different moves in unexpected ways. B-reverse Villager's pocket to safely land on stage. Or use Lucario's Aura Sphere to trap the opponent in his shield. Kirby also has access to Diddy Kong's b-reverse popgun, which can be used to mix up the landing.

Of course, B-reversing is not the only thing Kirby can do with the stolen moves. He also gets more combo options and kill confirms as well. With Pac-man's Bonus Fruit and Villager's Pocket, he gets more damage out of his throws and can even kill if he pocketed something heavy beforehand. "DK/Samus/Pacman give you some meaty throw combo that can kill if you're close enough to the ledge. It can definitely clutch out matches." adds MikeKirby.

However, there's a special technique that only Kirby gets access to when he gets Olimar's copy ability, caled Pluck Dashing.

A clip from Ƥнαη7σϻ's channel
You don't have to use it, as just throwing Pikmin alone puts them in a disadvantage , but can be very helpful in some ways," Vinyl says. You can also do any attack out of the glide, so this technique really helps approaching against Olimar.

This has been a lot of information, but there's still much more than what we got here. If you still want to learn more about this character, you can head over to the character boards! Also, be sure to give a follow to Vinyl, Phantom and Mike, who helped a lot with the article. And of course, a big shoutout to MySmashCorner. He has a lot of informative videos, and he's covered most of the general techs that we described in this article, including a video about Kirby's copy abilities. You can head over to his channel if you like.

Did you like the article? Want to see more articles like this? Let us know in the comments! Also, you can choose which character gets an article next, so cast your votes!

Top Bottom