• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Select Screen Reorganization Thread

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
CSS REORGANIZATION THREAD
I'm a fan of Ultimate's decision to bring everyone back and the numbered order for all of them was fun during pre-release.
But now all I see when looking at the CSS is a disorganized mess and I wanted to give a try at reorganizing it. (I say this casually but in reality I do this extremely often.)
Using Leafpenguin's template ---> https://www.deviantart.com/leafpenguins/art/Super-Smash-Bros-Ultimate-FULL-CSS-760969671
I reorganized the CSS to what I felt like truly fulfilled my desires.

View attachment 277667

• First thing to note when looking at this is that the CSS is organized vertically instead of horizontally, similarly to Brawl if you wanna make that comparison.
  • Secondly it's organized by series! Everyone's favorite organization method!
  • Going in order of Mario>Zelda>Metroid>Kid Icarus>Fire Emblem>Kirby>Star Fox>Pokemon
  • And then the remaining two series with multiple characters, Earthbound and Animal Crossing, are stuck at the end separated cause I thought it'd look even that way.

• Into specifics the left most columns belong to Mario and adjacent series. 1st column belong to Mario humans in order of plumbers and princesses. Second column is basically Mario animals and creatures featuring the main baddies and the Donkey Kong series. Wario and Yoshi are in the middle cause it looks nice.
  • The Zelda section is easy to explain. One column for the Links and everyone else on the other.
  • Metroid and Kid Icarus is just in reveal order and it looked nice having those sections capped off with prime and echo fighters.
  • Fire Emblem is organized in game order and in case for the Awakening trio it's by recruitment order.
  • Kirby and Star Fox are easy to organize. Small>Big>Small for Kirby and reveal order for Star Fox.
  • Pokemon are in pokedex order with the exception of Pichu who I placed before Pikachu because of evolution order.
  • Earthbound and Animal Crossing are organized in reveal order.
  • Miscellaneous Nintendo characters are organized by age.
  • 3rd Parties are grouped by companies and the order those companies joined Smash
  • Miis and Random are attached at the far right in the middle to make a symmetrical shape.
Tell me what you think and don't be scared of showing off your ideas on how to reorganize the CSS cause I like seeing other people's ideas on how it should be ordered.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Honestly that roster is confusing.

I know you have a logic to it, but its not a logic that's clear at first glance.

I feel like lines or columns are better than chunks. The top row should also be correctly centered. It doesn't look good without the top being centered. Why is Animal Crossing stuck with miscellaneous? You could have put them right after Earthbound and it would be have been easier to understand.

I do like the idea of the roster being organized by franchise, but this roster feels inconsistent with its own rules. I'm sorry I don't like it much.

But now all I see when looking at the CSS is a disorganized mess and I wanted to give a try at reorganizing it.
I'll just touch on this and why the CSS was done this way.

So, I'm pretty sure most people know the CSS is organized by character number, but why did they do it that way? It's so its easy for developers to add more characters without them just being stuck on the end like they were in Smash 4.

Pupp135

Smash Lord
It is an interesting way to organize the roster, but I agree with Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei that the roster would look cleaner if organized horizontally/vertically instead of chunking.
Here’s how I’d organize it

:ultmario::ultdoc::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultrosalina::ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultpiranha::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:
:ultlink::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultganondorf::ultsamus::ultzss::ultridley::ultdarksamus::ultyoshi::ultwario:
:ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede::ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf::ultpit::ultpalutena::ultdarkpit::ultfalcon::ultness::ultlucas:
:ultpikachu::ultpichu::ultpokemontrainer::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultincineroar::ultgnw::ultlittlemac::ultduckhunt::ulticeclimbers:
:ultmarth::ultroy::ultike::ultchrom::ultrobin::ultlucina::ultcorrin::ultbyleth::ultshulk::ultrob::ultwiifittrainer::ultolimar:
:ultvillager::ultisabelle::ultinkling::ultminmin:ultsnake::ultsimon::ultrichter::ult_terry::ultsonic::ultbayonetta::ultjoker::ultpacman:
:ultmegaman::ultryu::ultken::ultcloud::ulthero2::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry::ultbrawler::ultgunner::ultswordfighter:

:ultmario::ultbowser::ultlink::ultsamus::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultmarth::ultpit::ultsnake::ultmegaman:
:ultdoc::ultbowserjr::ultyounglink::ultzss::ultmetaknight::ultfalco::ultpichu::ultroy::ultpalutena::ultsimon::ultryu::ult_terry:
:ultluigi::ultpiranha::ulttoonlink::ultridley::ultkingdedede::ultwolf::ultjigglypuff::ultike::ultdarkpit::ultrichter::ultken::ultbrawler:
:ultpeach::ultdk::ultzelda::ultdarksamus::ultvillager::ultgnw::ultmewtwo::ultchrom::ulticeclimbers::ultsonic::ultcloud::ultgunner:
:ultdaisy::ultdiddy::ultsheik::ultfalcon::ultisabelle::ultlittlemac::ultlucario::ultrobin::ultrob::ultbayonetta::ulthero2::ultswordfighter:
:ultrosalina::ultkrool::ultganondorf::ultness::ultolimar::ultduckhunt::ultgreninja::ultlucina::ultwiifittrainer::ultjoker::ultpacman:
:ultyoshi::ultwario::ultshulk::ultlucas::ultinkling::ultpokemontrainer::ultincineroar::ultcorrin::ultbyleth::ultminmin:ultbanjokazooie:

Because of the number of rows in each column in the vertical format, some series had to take multiple columns (Mario, Pokemon, FE)

Last edited:
Top Bottom