• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Recovery Viability Tier List (Smash Ultimate)

Mr. Grabs

Smash Cadet
Obviously being able to consistently successfully be able to make it back onto the stage is incredibly important in Smash Bros.

What would a character recovery ranking list look like? Who would be near the top, who would be near the bottom?

Factors that would determine strong recovery include the overall viability of the recovery, horizontal recovery, vertical recovery, speed recovering, predictability of recovery, how difficult/easy it is for an opponent to interfere with their recovery etc.

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
I'm not going through all 70+ characters, but some notable placements:
-Pikachu and Pichu = S tier
-Dark/Pit = A tier
-K Rool = low A tier
-Pokemon Trainer as a whole = C tier
-Ridley = C tier
-Belmonts = D tier

Mr. Grabs

Smash Cadet
Bottom/Low Tier would include the Belmonts and Incinaroar for sure. Probably Doctor Mario also. So disappointing.

Peach/Daisy is A tier, even though she doesn't have perfect vertical recovery, with her floating and parasol her mobility is excellent so her recovery isn't predictable making her difficult to punish.

K Rool's recovery is good, especially for a big heavy character but not quite A tier as it's predictable and not the best horizontally speaking. I'd call it like B+ tier.

R O F L

Smash Ace
I know :ultmetaknight::ultpikachu::ultpichu::ultkrool: :ultpalutena::ultmewtwo::ultzelda:and :ultinkling: have by-far the safest recoveries. The most distance recoveries are :ultmetaknight::ultolimar: :ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultrob::ultpit::ultpacman::ultdarkpit::ultjigglypuff::ultinkling::ultisabelle::ultvillager: and :4charizard:. Snake and Link also have great recoveries if you use their bombs.

Worst recoveries are in terms of how safe they are: :ultjigglypuff::ultbowserjr::ultlittlemac::ultdiddy::ultness::ultlucas::ultsnake:and:ivysaur:. Worst recoveries distance wise: :ivysaur::ultcloud::ultchrom::ultroy::ultwolf::ultdoc::ultganondorf::ultincineroar:and:ulticeclimbers:with only one climber.

Mr. Grabs

Smash Cadet
I agree with the R O F L R O F L shared. Although Cloud's recovery is quite good with limit and you have to keep that in mind because he very frequently recovers via limit when fighting.

I think K Rool's recovery is good but not great. It's horizontal recovery is pretty average, it's vertical recovery is good and it has a hitbox but certainly characters can still punish it (as a K Rool players, I can't tell you how many times I've been spiked by Captain Falcon).

I think Peach/Daisy actually have a pretty safe recovery because her float makes her less predictable and able to stall.

Marth/Luicina have pretty solid recoveries and they are difficult to punish because certain characters will get hit against the stage by their Up-B leading to a free kill if unteched.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
S: :ultbayonetta::ultisabelle::ultlucario:(Max Aura):ultvillager::ultmetaknight::ultshulk: (Jump Art)

A: :ultsonic::ultpokemontrainer::ultpalutena::ultdarkpit::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultmegaman::ultyoshi::ultcloud:(Limit) :ultpit::ultpacman::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultzelda::ultpikachu::ultpichu::ultkingdedede::ultkrool::ultgreninja::ulticeclimbers::ultkirby::ultgnw:

B: :ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultryu::ultken::ultrob::ultrobin::ultolimar::ultfox::ultfalco::ultfalcon::ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultcorrin::ultike::ultmario::ultluigi::ultduckhunt::ultsnake::ultzss::ultmewtwo::ultjigglypuff:
:ultdk::ultrosalina::ultshulk:(Smash/Buster/Speed/no Art):ultwiifittrainer::ultwario::ultridley::ultroy::ultness::ultlucas::ultsheik:

C: :ultdoc::ultwolf::ultchrom::ultlittlemac::ultincineroar::ultcloud:(no Limit):ultsimon::ultrichter::ultganondorf::ulticeclimbers:(one Climber):ultyounglink::ulttoonlink::ultlink::ultdiddy::ultshulk:(Shield Art)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Meta Knight is so annoying because ALL of his specials are recoveries, and as a Meta Knight main, I always use Side-B

Top Bottom