• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Partners for Link in Doubles

RetroGamersGuru

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroGamersGuru
I never really saw a thread on this, and I could not find any info on it. I'm curious on what characters other Link mains prefer to team with in doubles and if certain ones do not work for Link at all but do work for Young Link. The reason I ask is to try to decide between the two for my primary character in doubles anyways.

SAUS

Smash Ace
I want to help answer but I honestly don't know haha. I've only started using Link in teams sort of recently. I usually found he was not that strong in teams, but I guess I was just being too narrow-minded. I find you can get a lot of stupid grabs on people and Link can wrack up damage very well with his juggle combos. He's also got a good recovery, so he can stock tank like a beast. Probably the thing you'd want most is killing power and someone who can be more aggressive. You'd probably want Fox or Captain Falcon. Maybe even Shiek.

RetroGamersGuru

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroGamersGuru
I guess this is an unexplored area for both Links. Well, time to go out and experiment. I may have a Falcon, but I want to do this anyways since Falcon, Sheik, and Fox have been explored in teams. Edit: I misread the comment as playing as those characters instead. Lol

Last edited:

squirrels4ev

Smash Apprentice
Link Mario is a really weird team that somehow ends up working out for me and a training partner of mine. We do pretty well and I don't understand why. I agree with SAUS on this one, and want to add that Link isn't fast enough on the ground or in the air to save his partner the way faster characters can, but he does have his boomerang which is kind of nuts in teams. Full jump boomerang covers so much in doubles, and if you have a teammate who is aware of your projectiles you can almost 2v1 your teammate's target during the dual 1v1 with aptly timed boomerangs. Nairing your 1v1 often sets up enough time to boomerang towards your teammate. I think Link needs to be with a fast character that can be the aggressor which makes Falcon and Fox ideal choices. Link can also create a strong wall to keep an opponent from saving his partner from Link's partner's edgeguard. It's for this reason that Sheik is my favorite teammate because Sheik's offstage game is nuts, and Link can just zone people away and let Sheik get the 1v1 vs an offstage opponent.

JediLink

Smash Ace
My friend and I always do Link and Roy. If you're going to play a low tier, you might as well go all out. No one in our area takes doubles seriously, though, so...

RetroGamersGuru

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroGamersGuru
So the main answers for Link as serious partners are Fox, Falcon, and Sheik, all for certain strategies that make sense. I don't know how the Link Mario team would work either. So I'm guessing that in order to partner with Puff or Peach, Young Link would be the ideal choice for them. I know that Falco and Marth are not as strong in teams, so having them as partners doesn't really benefit Link. Also, unless it's Sethlon, no Roy pls.

Thor

Smash Champion
Fox Link is silly because you stock tank forever, can save him like a boss [with any of your projectiles, even arrows], and he can save you with raw speed to clear the ledge. You also have no problems KOing off any of the blastzones [spin attack weak, shine, spin attack strong, fsmashes from both, his usmash and uair, your uair and dair and maybe fair].

Falcon Link is basically the same thing where Falcon combos even harder [and can get super free setups into your dair - Fox can too but it feels even easier], and you both live forever, but Falcon is more gimpable [even with your assistance], has spacie problems of his own, and his upward KO power is lacking [but knee so who even cares].

I haven't done Link Sheik - would imagine it's workable [her dthrow means you either get dair or she gets usmash in a 2v1 XD], but I'd guess Fox is better because Fox.

Puff can save you and you her, she can avoid your stuff easily, and rest is easy to wake her up from [bombs, rangs, jab, even late nair]. Don't dair her please.

Peach works because she does well vs spacies. I'd think it's a weaker team than Fox-Link in almost every way except maybe her recovery [damage racking seems weaker, worse KO power, edgeguarding isn't really a problem with Fox/Link, onstage I think you have less control], but it's still a good team.

Just my input on the top 5 for teams.

RetroGamersGuru

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroGamersGuru
Good to know since these five are the strongest in any team. Aside from the top 5 teams characters, the other three are at least interesting to discuss, though I doubt are optimal. Out of the bottom three of the top/high tiers in teams, Link Marth might be the best one with Link playing long range and stock tanking while the Marth goes somewhat up close and combos for a kill. The Link could cover him for defense against the other opposing partner. Link Icies, IDK. Link Falco, both are characters that are built to control the space of the stage, and when both are combined, they get in each other's way. Plus Falco's lazer is annoying to keep in mind in teams even when your partner is the Falco.

Top Bottom