• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character loyalty or play to win?

pap64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pappel64
Switch FC
2966 0225 9209
I...tend to play to win. Since 64, I have always chosen the characters that feels the best for my play style. As the icons in my avatar shows, the characters have changes with every release of Smash. I go through all the characters and then pick the one I enjoy the most playing. Right now, Bowser is my go-to guy. But if he no longer feels as fun to play as in Ultimate, I will be moving onto another character that feels right for me.

Ardisan

Smash Rookie
I pick my characters based on how much I like their games. I dont really like to play a character because of their tier since I just feel bad for playing the character only because its got the best matchups against the entire cast.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
i play as everyone.

i give every character some attention, then unless i have a specific battle in mind, i typically go for random selection.

i care more about having fun than winning.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I play as characters that I find fun to play, or are from series that I actually enjoy.

The Sparrow

Smash Cadet
NNID
SPTheSparrow
For fun, salty suites, and money matches I'll stick to my man Roy and Ike, I wanna play to win in Smash Ult tho so I'll play whoever is strongest.
To win: :ultbayonetta::ultmarth::ultfox::ultcloud:
For my dignity: :ultroy::ultike::ultrichter::ultshulk::ultbowserjr::ultzelda:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
For fighters in general, I have a main I love regardless of how good they are and will play forever.
I then have a secondary which is a top-tier character that I like more than the rest of the top-tiers.

So in that regard, Ike main normally, Marth when I want to win at all costs.

Last edited:

Penroze

The Surreal Deal
Switch FC
SW-7239-4479-0495
I pretty much solely choose fighters based on how much I like them as characters. My four mains/secondaries (:4villager::4gaw::4pacman::4duckhunt:) are from tiers C, E, F, and D respectively.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm maining Chrom even if he ends up being bottom tier.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I'll in general have a mix. Characters that I legitimately like on their own merits, regardless of how they play in Smash (:ultpokemontrainer::ultbowserjr::ultrobin) were always going to be some I included in my rotation, even if I have to really work at getting good with them to make it happen. Characters I didn't have any particular attachment to, but feel very natural to me while playing the game (:ultgreninja::ultroy::ultness::ultzelda:) make their way in as well.

But... if I legitimately dislike a character, I won't use them. Regardless if they're fun/good in Smash. I'll only ever use :ultbayonetta: if I have to for completion purposes or whatever, you know?

MrArska

Smash Cadet
NNID
aapelix
Switch FC
SW 2908 1984 5094
While I don't have the longest history with the series, I'm definitely loyal to :ultkingdedede:. In general, if I like a character I tend to stick to them.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I have always been a hybrid of them. I want a character I can stay loyal to, but if they can't get me wins on for glory then I look for a different one.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Loyalty - I don't enjoy winning with a character that's good but I have no attachment to. By have attachment to, I mean characters from games I like, whose playstyle I like or who I like for other reasons.

Being loyal with the characters you play and playing to win kinda go hand and hand tbh. Most people that play to win are loyal to there main(s).

:4zelda:Im so used to her moveset, and the character. Im Loyal to her and out of all the characters I play, I get the most competitive when I play her. She is my main in all Smash games she is in. And plus she is one of my favorite Nintendo characters

:4lucina: Tbh, she is really fun to play, so if I ever use her, its for fun. Not really loyal to her, but I guess I consider her a solid pocket.

:4palutena:She pretty much is my secondary. Ive used her for around 5months or so. But, ive recently been getting frustrated with her so im probably gonna be playing her less.

:4myfriends:He is a pretty honest character and relatively easy and straight forward. So he is pretty much for fun as well.
They don’t go hand and hand if you main Jigglypuff.

Wasn’t Tweek a Bowser Jr. main? Lol no one is 100% loyal.

I try to do both, but it doesn’t always work out. If your character is garbage in upper tier match ups it’s not gonna fly, except for those few rare players like T’s Link, Zaki’s Dedede or Raito’s Duck Hunt, and even they have a pocket Cloud, Bayonetta or whatever.

It happens on every smash game; mad heads say they gonna be the best with X character because they love them they realize it doesn’t suit them and move on to something else or have a pocket character when **** gets real. Nothing wrong with it, honestly. Branding others as “loyal” just sounds extra.

I know I’m “loyal” to Marth, though. Play style is just so good.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Let me post strongly in favor of team "play to win" here. I've been playing Smash the whole way, and I've mained different characters in every game. I've seen a lot of different players use a lot of different characters for a lot of different reasons, and I can say without reservation that the players who simultaneously have the most fun and the most success are the ones who care the absolute least about the idea of character loyalty. Pick characters that make you win, and everything else about the game works. Get emotional and attached to your characters, and they turn into anchors that will ruin the game for you.

First of all, the worst is when people are loyal to characters because of their origins. Here's a simple truth. Each character will have their own dynamics based on what Smash itself is as a fighting game. As a player, you too have your own dynamics. Some players are naturally turtles, looking to protect themselves and avoid dangerous confrontations in games. Others are aggressive rushdown players, looking to chase down opponents and give no breathing room. Some players are meticulous, executing strategies with carefully planned precision. Other players are creative, making up nonsense on the fly and stringing together wild tactics by the seats of their pants. What a character is cannot change; the gameplay strengths and weaknesses of any given character are set in stone and immutable by a player's will. What a player is can change slowly with time, but for the most part, you can work against the grain of who you are or with it. Almost all players have real talents they can maximize and real weaknesses they can minimize, and the character select screen is one of your strongest opportunities to do that. Pick a main who is good at playing in the ways that you are naturally good at playing. Pick a main whose playstyle naturally masks the aspects of the game with which you struggle anyway. If you just pick a character based on their origin series, what you do instead of optimizing your synergy with your character is basically randomize it, and if you don't get lucky, you'll spend every game fighting against both your opponent and your character. Either you'll try to force your character to play the way you want to play even if they're naturally bad at it, and that will give you an effective bottom tier main that will lead to nothing but constant losing for you, or maybe you'll try to change yourself to fit your character, but since you're fighting against your natural abilities, you're going to have to just constantly work harder for worse results than everyone else which is both not fun and not rewarding. Just don't put yourself in this position. Choose a main based on how the character plays, not based on who the character is. You will not regret it.

The second thing to consider is overall character quality, and there's some layers of complexity here. Sure Smash Ultimate will be patched so maybe characters will gain or weaken with time. Sure we still have the dynamic above that a higher tier character may not work as well for you personally as a lower tier one does. Here's a big truth you can't run from though. In the end, all players have equal potential to put in the work and learn and grow, and while you might be able to rely on natural talent to coast to some extent, it would be the highest level of foolishness to believe you have the most talent of anyone out there. If others are putting in just as much or more work as you and have just as much or more talent as you and those others play characters who are better than yours, what do you think is going to happen when you play them? There's some wiggle room to play characters who work for you and are not necessarily the absolute #1 character in the game, but let's be real here that if your character is not generally among the clear high tiers that you're just going to limit your potential compared to other players. It's really hard to invest a ton of hours, days, weeks... even years into a character only to discover that so much of what you learned isn't useful simply because the character isn't. Don't put yourself in that kind of bad situation; if you see a sinking ship, get in the lifeboat and move to higher tiered waters. Don't go down with the ship. Your main never did anything for you; they're not even helping you win. There's no reason to show loyalty here.

Some people also feel really satisfied at finding a high tier main right away and just lock in. That can work to some extent, but I will say this. It's really easy to get stuck in a rut. As you optimize one character, you'll get really good at doing the things that make them good, and you'll really avoid situations that represent their downsides. However, your opponents will be working hard to create situations in matches that go the other way, and every character will sometimes be in a match-up that just isn't the greatest. Learning to overcome those bad situations is hard, and a lot of times, your thinking about what you can do ends up limited by the filter that your understanding of the game itself is only through the lens of your main. Even if your main is what you need long term, you need to be open to exploring other characters in a serious way. That lets you develop skills that your main poorly utilizes, skills you might need when an opponent creates a situation outside of your comfort zone that your main played to strengths can't handle but your main played strangely might actually be able to work through, and if all else goes wrong and you get totally shut down with your main, that gives you secondaries to counterpick. Even if you main a top tier well optimized to you, loyalty can go too far there; sometimes to use your character to potential you kinda have to let go a little.

I read a lot that people talk about how they really just play for fun so none of this applies to them. I'm just going to say you need to apply some serious self honesty. Do you go online to For Fun and mostly prefer to participate in taunt parties with other silly largely item fueled nonsense being almost all of what you do otherwise? Maybe you really don't care about winning; play whoever you want. I don't think most people are that way. I think most of us going in wanting to really fight, and when we do, we really want to do our best because we all really prefer being the winner. If that's who you are, if you really do enjoy winning, then why would you tell yourself that playing for fun means making the decisions on the character select screen that make you lose? It doesn't make sense. It can serve as a nice rationalization for why you lose ("I'm not bad! My character is bad!"), but I think we all know in the end we are all happier when we spend less time rationalizing why things are not the way we really want them to be and more time celebrating that things are going the way we always wanted them to go. Pick a good character whose playstyle works for you, and do the things along the road to make that character work best for you. I pretty much can promise you'll have way more fun in the end.

D

Deleted member

They don’t go hand and hand if you main Jigglypuff.

Wasn’t Tweek a Bowser Jr. main? Lol no one is 100% loyal.

I try to do both, but it doesn’t always work out. If your character is garbage in upper tier match ups it’s not gonna fly, except for those few rare players like T’s Link, Zaki’s Dedede or Raito’s Duck Hunt, and even they have a pocket Cloud, Bayonetta or whatever.

It happens on every smash game; mad heads say they gonna be the best with X character because they love them they realize it doesn’t suit them and move on to something else or have a pocket character when **** gets real. Nothing wrong with it, honestly. Branding others as “loyal” just sounds extra.

I know I’m “loyal” to Marth, though. Play style is just so good.
Loyalty does exist. I've mained Zelda since ive started playing. Which was probably about 14yrs ago. I like her moveset, and have a understanding of a lot of Mu's and I get that they are hard, but im going to use the same character in every Smash game. If that isn't loyalty, I dont know what is. Some of us like challenges, some of us dont want broken characters as pockets. For me, its all about, dedication, perseverance and patience. Period.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Let me post strongly in favor of team "play to win" here. I've been playing Smash the whole way, and I've mained different characters in every game. I've seen a lot of different players use a lot of different characters for a lot of different reasons, and I can say without reservation that the players who simultaneously have the most fun and the most success are the ones who care the absolute least about the idea of character loyalty. Pick characters that make you win, and everything else about the game works. Get emotional and attached to your characters, and they turn into anchors that will ruin the game for you.

First of all, the worst is when people are loyal to characters because of their origins. Here's a simple truth. Each character will have their own dynamics based on what Smash itself is as a fighting game. As a player, you too have your own dynamics. Some players are naturally turtles, looking to protect themselves and avoid dangerous confrontations in games. Others are aggressive rushdown players, looking to chase down opponents and give no breathing room. Some players are meticulous, executing strategies with carefully planned precision. Other players are creative, making up nonsense on the fly and stringing together wild tactics by the seats of their pants. What a character is cannot change; the gameplay strengths and weaknesses of any given character are set in stone and immutable by a player's will. What a player is can change slowly with time, but for the most part, you can work against the grain of who you are or with it. Almost all players have real talents they can maximize and real weaknesses they can minimize, and the character select screen is one of your strongest opportunities to do that. Pick a main who is good at playing in the ways that you are naturally good at playing. Pick a main whose playstyle naturally masks the aspects of the game with which you struggle anyway. If you just pick a character based on their origin series, what you do instead of optimizing your synergy with your character is basically randomize it, and if you don't get lucky, you'll spend every game fighting against both your opponent and your character. Either you'll try to force your character to play the way you want to play even if they're naturally bad at it, and that will give you an effective bottom tier main that will lead to nothing but constant losing for you, or maybe you'll try to change yourself to fit your character, but since you're fighting against your natural abilities, you're going to have to just constantly work harder for worse results than everyone else which is both not fun and not rewarding. Just don't put yourself in this position. Choose a main based on how the character plays, not based on who the character is. You will not regret it.

The second thing to consider is overall character quality, and there's some layers of complexity here. Sure Smash Ultimate will be patched so maybe characters will gain or weaken with time. Sure we still have the dynamic above that a higher tier character may not work as well for you personally as a lower tier one does. Here's a big truth you can't run from though. In the end, all players have equal potential to put in the work and learn and grow, and while you might be able to rely on natural talent to coast to some extent, it would be the highest level of foolishness to believe you have the most talent of anyone out there. If others are putting in just as much or more work as you and have just as much or more talent as you and those others play characters who are better than yours, what do you think is going to happen when you play them? There's some wiggle room to play characters who work for you and are not necessarily the absolute #1 character in the game, but let's be real here that if your character is not generally among the clear high tiers that you're just going to limit your potential compared to other players. It's really hard to invest a ton of hours, days, weeks... even years into a character only to discover that so much of what you learned isn't useful simply because the character isn't. Don't put yourself in that kind of bad situation; if you see a sinking ship, get in the lifeboat and move to higher tiered waters. Don't go down with the ship. Your main never did anything for you; they're not even helping you win. There's no reason to show loyalty here.

Some people also feel really satisfied at finding a high tier main right away and just lock in. That can work to some extent, but I will say this. It's really easy to get stuck in a rut. As you optimize one character, you'll get really good at doing the things that make them good, and you'll really avoid situations that represent their downsides. However, your opponents will be working hard to create situations in matches that go the other way, and every character will sometimes be in a match-up that just isn't the greatest. Learning to overcome those bad situations is hard, and a lot of times, your thinking about what you can do ends up limited by the filter that your understanding of the game itself is only through the lens of your main. Even if your main is what you need long term, you need to be open to exploring other characters in a serious way. That lets you develop skills that your main poorly utilizes, skills you might need when an opponent creates a situation outside of your comfort zone that your main played to strengths can't handle but your main played strangely might actually be able to work through, and if all else goes wrong and you get totally shut down with your main, that gives you secondaries to counterpick. Even if you main a top tier well optimized to you, loyalty can go too far there; sometimes to use your character to potential you kinda have to let go a little.

I read a lot that people talk about how they really just play for fun so none of this applies to them. I'm just going to say you need to apply some serious self honesty. Do you go online to For Fun and mostly prefer to participate in taunt parties with other silly largely item fueled nonsense being almost all of what you do otherwise? Maybe you really don't care about winning; play whoever you want. I don't think most people are that way. I think most of us going in wanting to really fight, and when we do, we really want to do our best because we all really prefer being the winner. If that's who you are, if you really do enjoy winning, then why would you tell yourself that playing for fun means making the decisions on the character select screen that make you lose? It doesn't make sense. It can serve as a nice rationalization for why you lose ("I'm not bad! My character is bad!"), but I think we all know in the end we are all happier when we spend less time rationalizing why things are not the way we really want them to be and more time celebrating that things are going the way we always wanted them to go. Pick a good character whose playstyle works for you, and do the things along the road to make that character work best for you. I pretty much can promise you'll have way more fun in the end.
I like most of your points, except your "characters = functions" insinuation that low-tier characters have no purpose within the framework of the game and might as well not exist.

Also, the tier lists narrowly focus on one aspect of the game, namely 1v1 combat with no items on "competitively legal" (read: bland) stages. What about free-for-alls, or items, or Smash Run, or adventure mode, or Home Run Contest, or Multi-Man Smash, or any of the myriad other ways to play the game where characters great at 1v1 might actually be pretty rubbish?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I like most of your points, except your "characters = functions" insinuation that low-tier characters have no purpose within the framework of the game and might as well not exist.

Also, the tier lists narrowly focus on one aspect of the game, namely 1v1 combat with no items on "competitively legal" (read: bland) stages. What about free-for-alls, or items, or Smash Run, or adventure mode, or Home Run Contest, or Multi-Man Smash, or any of the myriad other ways to play the game where characters great at 1v1 might actually be pretty rubbish?
Edit: oops accidentally replied to your post.

Loyalty does exist. I've mained Zelda since ive started playing. Which was probably about 14yrs ago. I like her moveset, and have a understanding of a lot of Mu's and I get that they are hard, but im going to use the same character in every Smash game. If that isn't loyalty, I dont know what is. Some of us like challenges, some of us dont want broken characters as pockets. For me, its all about, dedication, perseverance and patience. Period.
I never stated that dedication doesn’t exist, but just because you’re dedicated to a character, doesn’t mean your ability to win, or a subsequent diminishing of your characters shortcomings are in tandem.

If you want to use the same character, that’s fine; do you, but honestly, it sounds self defeatist. Say you end up losing against a character match up you have supposedly been prepared to handle, but it was not only disadvantageous for you, the player was better. Are you gonna John about it and say “X character is broken”, which sounds likely, as your retort to my statement was your disdain towards using a “broken” character. Odds are you aren’t going to gracefully except that, less you are prepared to continually use your characters short comings to shield yourself from losses.

No one is telling you to pick a “broken” character, but from the sounds of it you aren’t willing to even play characters that are counter picks. And as Amazing Ampharos Amazing Ampharos said, if you aren’t playing with more characters, there are fundamental styles of playing that you are missing out on that meld into your overall ability as a player. If I play only Marth, my play style will revolve around spacing my aerials and baiting. Now if I pick Peach, that won’t exactly work as well, since her move set revolves around float spacing, projectiles, high aerial pressure, projectile zoning, etc. By playing with more characters, and letting yourself become accustomed to certain situations, you improve overall. All the spacing you did with Marth helped your peach understand how to approach a shielding opponent without getting punished, for example.

And I’m sorry, but saying that you don’t want to have a “broken character” as a pocket sounds like a set of for an incredibly elitist john. While some characters are very good, they still require a steep learning curve and match up familiarity, just like your Zelda. And arguably, it’s much more difficult to main them at a higher level, because so many players are used to seeing them and playing them that they have developed individual strategies against them and know the ins and outs of their play styles. If you’re playing a low tier there’s no pressure of oppositional strategies, only out play. Hell a Toon Link beat Salem’s Bayonetta this weekend, but he’s a Megaman player. Does that make Toon Link broken?

Even if you don’t pick a really good character, pick something. Being loyal in a game with over 70 characters isn’t gonna do you any favors. Just try and have fun, and if you find someone who’s really good and just as fun just keep going with it. Your Zelda is gonna get bopped eventually.

I don’t think that’s what he’s saying, rather, he implored that one should play with more characters other than one to better them as a player.

No one should limit themselves to one character, as it’s boring and stunts the growth of the player. some can get away with it, but very few are the exception, and most fall short with their string of tactics, especially against players who not only play with your character, but against it.

And yeah the tier list isn’t absolute, but it’s a good indicator, and it is suggested that we are speaking from a competitive player perspective, since we are on smash boards after all.

I would definitely re-read his post, as I at least don’t believe that he was demeaning anyone from picking a lower tier character. He spoke more about style than anything.

D

Deleted member

I never stated that dedication doesn’t exist, but just because you’re dedicated to a character, doesn’t mean your ability to win, or a subsequent diminishing of your characters shortcomings are in tandem.

If you want to use the same character, that’s fine; do you, but honestly, it sounds self defeatist. Say you end up losing against a character match up you have supposedly been prepared to handle, but it was not only disadvantageous for you, the player was better. Are you gonna John about it and say “X character is broken”, which sounds likely, as your retort to my statement was your disdain towards using a “broken” character. Odds are you aren’t going to gracefully except that, less you are prepared to continually use your characters short comings to shield yourself from losses.

No one is telling you to pick a “broken” character, but from the sounds of it you aren’t willing to even play characters that are counter picks. And as Amazing Ampharos Amazing Ampharos said, if you aren’t playing with more characters, there are fundamental styles of playing that you are missing out on that meld into your overall ability as a player. If I play only Marth, my play style will revolve around spacing my aerials and baiting. Now if I pick Peach, that won’t exactly work as well, since her move set revolves around float spacing, projectiles, high aerial pressure, projectile zoning, etc. By playing with more characters, and letting yourself become accustomed to certain situations, you improve overall. All the spacing you did with Marth helped your peach understand how to approach a shielding opponent without getting punished, for example.

And I’m sorry, but saying that you don’t want to have a “broken character” as a pocket sounds like a set of for an incredibly elitist john. While some characters are very good, they still require a steep learning curve and match up familiarity, just like your Zelda. And arguably, it’s much more difficult to main them at a higher level, because so many players are used to seeing them and playing them that they have developed individual strategies against them and know the ins and outs of their play styles. If you’re playing a low tier there’s no pressure of oppositional strategies, only out play. Hell a Toon Link beat Salem’s Bayonetta this weekend, but he’s a Megaman player. Does that make Toon Link broken?

Even if you don’t pick a really good character, pick something. Being loyal in a game with over 70 characters isn’t gonna do you any favors. Just try and have fun, and if you find someone who’s really good and just as fun just keep going with it. Your Zelda is gonna get bopped eventually.

I don’t think that’s what he’s saying, rather, he implored that one should play with more characters other than one to better them as a player.

No one should limit themselves to one character, as it’s boring and stunts the growth of the player. some can get away with it, but very few are the exception, and most fall short with their string of tactics, especially against players who not only play with your character, but against it.

And yeah the tier list isn’t absolute, but it’s a good indicator, and it is suggested that we are speaking from a competitive player perspective, since we are on smash boards after all.

I would definitely re-read his post, as I at least don’t believe that he was demeaning anyone from picking a lower tier character. He spoke more about style than anything.
And if I get bopped because I decided to main a character that isn't as good as the rest of the cast, thats my problem. And if someone wants to solo main in Smash, I dont think they should deal with mouth from other people. There is nothing wrong with someone doing they're own thing. And I think telling someone what the can and cannot do with who they choose to play is very discouraging. And I know just one persons opinion isn't the end all know all of Smash. You can be wrong with certain things, and im can be wrong at certain things. But at the end of the day, what that person decides to main in Smash is his her own business.

And if I get bopped because I decided to main a character that isn't as good as the rest of the cast, thats my problem. And if someone wants to solo main in Smash, I dont think they should deal with mouth from other people. There is nothing wrong with someone doing they're own thing. And I think telling someone what the can and cannot do with who they choose to play is very discouraging. And I know just one persons opinion isn't the end all know all of Smash. You can be wrong with certain things, and im can be wrong at certain things. But at the end of the day, what that person decides to main in Smash is his her own business.
That’s all well and good, albeit odd, that one would have no disire—as much as an incling, to attempt to play with one of the other 70+ characters in the game. I understand your affinity with your character but statistically speaking you are bound to play with other characters, if not purely out of circumstance or to unlock other ones. So I’m guessing you’re not going to play smash down if you can’t play Zelda every game?

Again, I get it’s personal choice, but it’s not really that serious. I’m not infringing on your constitutional rights or telling you something that goes against a rigid system of beliefs; I’m saying try picking someone else lol.

If I’m telling you that Jigglypuff won’t win a National Tournament, it’s not to discourage, but just being realistic. Ideally we every player and character should be so good that their heart-felt dreams of seeing them take home the trophy should be possible, but that’s just not gonna happen, and if it does, it would be improbable that it would be from solo maiming an entire tournament. Closest to that happening was Zero Saga with T in 3rd place as Link and Fatality with Captain Falcon in second at Civil War. However, that was s tournament full of major upsets, with Zero nor Ally winning (Dabuz won), and characters still placing within their respective tiers.

I’m sorry if you feel some type away about me questioning your reasoning behind playing only one character, but in light of the circumstances of what’s being discussed, i feel like I’m entitled to ask why, nor should one take it so personally. But whatever, you do you. As long as you’re having fun.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That’s all well and good, albeit odd, that one would have no disire—as much as an incling, to attempt to play with one of the other 70+ characters in the game. I understand your affinity with your character but statistically speaking you are bound to play with other characters, if not purely out of circumstance or to unlock other ones. So I’m guessing you’re not going to play smash down if you can’t play Zelda every game?

Again, I get it’s personal choice, but it’s not really that serious. I’m not infringing on your constitutional rights or telling you something that goes against a rigid system of beliefs; I’m saying try picking someone else lol.

If I’m telling you that Jigglypuff won’t win a National Tournament, it’s not to discourage, but just being realistic. Ideally we every player and character should be so good that their heart-felt dreams of seeing them take home the trophy should be possible, but that’s just not gonna happen, and if it does, it would be improbable that it would be from solo maiming an entire tournament. Closest to that happening was Zero Saga with T in 3rd place as Link and Fatality with Captain Falcon in second at Civil War. However, that was s tournament full of major upsets, with Zero nor Ally winning (Dabuz won), and characters still placing within their respective tiers.

I’m sorry if you feel some type away about me questioning your reasoning behind playing only one character, but in light of the circumstances of what’s being discussed, i feel like I’m entitled to ask why, nor should one take it so personally. But whatever, you do you. As long as you’re having fun.
I am planning on playing other characters, casually and obviously so I can unlock them. But Competitively, yes, I do plan on sticking to one character. Because I cant play my main until I unlock her so of course ill playing other character and getting into the game and familiarizing myself with it. And I actually have buddies that play one character as well, there are alot of people out there that play only one character on this site and in the Smash community. So why would it be odd? Im just getting tired of hearing people questioning who I play and why I play them. My apologies if I sounded rude or a little extreme, but just understand where I am coming from. that's all.

hazrdous

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
3406-7857-4397
I'll hopefully find someone that fits both criteria, though I think my main, Marth, will have a great chance of snuggling into those two categories quite comfortably.

I am planning on playing other characters, casually and obviously so I can unlock them. But Competitively, yes, I do plan on sticking to one character. Because I cant play my main until I unlock her so of course ill playing other character and getting into the game and familiarizing myself with it. And I actually have buddies that play one character as well, there are alot of people out there that play only one character on this site and in the Smash community. So why would it be odd? Im just getting tired of hearing people questioning who I play and why I play them. My apologies if I sounded rude or a little extreme, but just understand where I am coming from. that's all.
Understood. I guess it’s just odd from my perspective because I play with so many characters. Having diverse methods of play, and seeing how I can push each characters offensive limits intrigued me. I know myself as a player, so seeing that translate into another character is exciting for me.

I just don’t want any players potentially missing out on all of the opportunities to explore characters that really resonate with them. I’m honestly looking forward to playing all my old characters again and getting into new ones like Simon/Richter.

Payaso Jazzista

Smash Rookie
NNID
Smashville123
3DS FC
2681-5071-6047
the trick here is that, If you have any of her amiibos you unlock her instantly in a blink of an Eye

Payaso Jazzista

Smash Rookie
NNID
Smashville123
3DS FC
2681-5071-6047
I wonder if it would be a good idea for the community to collectively bring together amiibos for unlocking purposes.
It most certainly would be an interesting idea, but I think most people are gonna play the modes to unlock them all, especially with that new mode that aparently hints to be subspace or a new adventure mode like melee, I wonder If they're realeasing amiibos for the veterans that weren't in smash 4 such as Young Link, Snake and pichu or even a brand-new Por Ike amiibo, I'd buy all of that despite not owning a switch lol

It most certainly would be an interesting idea, but I think most people are gonna play the modes to unlock them all, especially with that new mode that aparently hints to be subspace or a new adventure mode like melee, I wonder If they're realeasing amiibos for the veterans that weren't in smash 4 such as Young Link, Snake and pichu or even a brand-new Por Ike amiibo, I'd buy all of that despite not owning a switch lol
Yeah I’m honestly thinking about getting an amiibo or two lol

But I think it would be great to pool them together for people who want to hit the ground running and start up tournaments as fast as possible. Then again, with the Nintendo Switch’s ability to share save data via local connection, having one system will be enough to share, and then some.

Holy **** unlocking in this game may be faster than we think, and based on the switches design, may prove to also be unecessary lol.

Top Bottom