• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character loyalty or play to win?

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Let's keep this civilized, everyone thinks differently.

Character loyalty for me:

In 64 I played lots of :ultmario::ultluigi::ultdk::ultlink: (Mario and Zelda were some of my fave series, and I loved DK 64) at that time I'll be honest I didn't even know who :ultfalcon::ultness::ultsamus: were, I knew pokemon very well, just don't like the ones in that game

In Melee it was a whole lot of :ultganondorf: (my favorite villain) as well as :ultmewtwo: as well as staying with :ultmario::ultdk:

Brawl added many newcomers I was excited for :ultdiddy::ultolimar::ultpokemontrainer::ultsonic::ultwolf: got a lot of play, along with vets I enjoyed.

Smash4 had some interesting picks I enjoyed. :ultpacman::ultwiifittrainer::ultbowserjr:(I'm really glad all of the Koopalings are playable, Larry ftw) :ultrobin:ultryu: but the additions to Brawl were much more appealing to me.

Now with Ultimate coming out :ultmario::ultdiddy::ultpokemontrainer::ultpacman::ultwolf::ultganondorf::ultkrool:(K. Rool was in my top 3, only newcomer thus far that I was excited for) are the ones I look forward to playing the most, so it's character loyalty for me, I don't play in too many tournaments but I'd rather play a character I like over a character I don't care for with great frame data and moves.

What about you guys throughout the games?

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
I tend to play characters that I like both in character and playstyle. I plan to try and pick-up K. Rool because he's amazing.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
I like characters who I grew up with in my childhood and I’m always willing to try out new ones. :)

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Loyalty all the way! I try to try out new ones all the time because it's fun to play as everyone but ROB was my boy in Brawl and he only became more fun as the years went on. Game and Watch was my guy in Melee and I still find him incredibly fun too.

I'm stoked to pick Richter though because I love his games. I love having that character recognition.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Character loyalty and playing to win aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. If someone likes a character who happens to be one of the best, then both character loyalty and playing to win work.

D

Deleted member

Being loyal with the characters you play and playing to win kinda go hand and hand tbh. Most people that play to win are loyal to there main(s).

:4zelda:Im so used to her moveset, and the character. Im Loyal to her and out of all the characters I play, I get the most competitive when I play her. She is my main in all Smash games she is in. And plus she is one of my favorite Nintendo characters

:4lucina: Tbh, she is really fun to play, so if I ever use her, its for fun. Not really loyal to her, but I guess I consider her a solid pocket.

:4palutena:She pretty much is my secondary. Ive used her for around 5months or so. But, ive recently been getting frustrated with her so im probably gonna be playing her less.

:4myfriends:He is a pretty honest character and relatively easy and straight forward. So he is pretty much for fun as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Loyalty all the way for me. I'll main Yoshi forever and always regardless of whether he's top tier or bottom tier, and I play a lot of characters I also happen to like aside from Yoshi, also regardless of how good they are. Characters I'm indifferent to, such as Ice Climbers, depend on whether I enjoy their playstyle or not. Characters I straight up don't like, I refuse to even touch unless it's necessary for challenges/unlockables/completion's sake, regardless of how fun their playstyle is. :yoshi:

Cloud fell into this last category in Smash 4 for me, but then FF VII was announced for Switch and I'll definitely enjoy playing him in Ultimate now, when it launches. That said, I'm really looking forward to Ultimate because there are SO MANY CHARACTERS I LOOK FORWARD TO PLAYING! I love almost the entire cast and there's nobody I outright hate (so far). I might main everyone. :laugh: (Nah jk, but I might play every character frequently at least.)

Character loyalty and playing to win aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. If someone likes a character who happens to be one of the best, then both character loyalty and playing to win work.
If you happen to like a character who happens to be one of the best, then you're more likely to play that character out of loyalty. If a patch drops that makes this character suddenly terrible, then fans of said character will stick with the character rather than swooping onto the next top tier bandwagon.

Being loyal with the characters you play and playing to win kinda go hand and hand tbh. Most people that play to win are loyal to there main(s).
That's not really the point, I don't think. The point is whether you play as your favourite characters, or if you play as the best characters just because they're the best. If your favourite character happens to also be (one of) the best, then you're arguably playing this character out of loyalty. You kind of have a point for people who's favourite characters are literally just the best characters, but if their mains get nerfed to the ground they will no longer be the best and thus no longer be their main(s). And I don't think there are many people who suddenly love Bayonetta as a character because she's top tier in Smash 4 either, or Meta Knight because he was king in Brawl. Outside of Smash, their opinions on these characters likely won't change much because of how good they are.

Just saying. :p

Crystanium

Smash Hero
[QUOTE="Yosher, post: 22517181, member: 67553]If you happen to like a character who happens to be one of the best, then you're more likely to play that character out of loyalty.[/quote]

That doesn't matter, since character loyalty and the optimal character choice demonstrates mutual inclusivity.

[QUOTE="Yosher, post: 22517181, member: 67553]If a patch drops that makes this character suddenly terrible, then fans of said character will stick with the character rather than swooping onto the next top tier bandwagon.[/QUOTE]

And that's fine. The point was character loyalty and choosing the best character isn't mutually exclusive.

Last edited:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
It's always been character loyalty to me. I've personally never really been all that competitive, so I couldn't possibly care less about my character's tier placement. I might participate in online tournaments here and there, but I'm pretty certain that I won't be going to IRL tournaments anytime soon. So I always play the character that I like, no matter their tier placement.

In Melee, it was Marth. I was pretty young at the time, so my knowledge of videogame franchises other than Mario and Pokemon was severely limited. When I unlocked him, he was just so cool to me. A sword, and blue hair? What's more to love? I became obsessed with him, and needless to say, that obsession carried on to Brawl.

However, sometime between Smash 4 being announced in 2011 and Fire Emblem Awakening's worldwide release in April 2013, I was already well-acquainted with numerous videogame franchises, including Fire Emblem. I had bought Shadow Dragon sometime between Brawl and Smash 4, so that game was my first official entry into the franchise. I sucked at it, so I didn't finish it. But by the time Awakening's demo came out, I remember squealing when "Marth" showed up. I knew at that point I was going to get Fire Emblem Awakening. What I didn't know is that Robin would take Marth's place as my favorite videogame character. I don't know why, but customizing a character and naming him after myself always felt weird to me, especially when characters would refer to me by using my name. So that's when I decided to go default instead, taking on Robin's character as if I was him, but not the other way around.

By the time I finished Awakening, I had grew attached to his character, the character behind all the self-insert customization. So attached in fact, that I decided to roleplay as him. Tumblr, YouTube, Google+, just to name a few. I saw some people roleplaying as him, but as their self-insert selves instead. I was one of the few that roleplayed as him for who he truly was, if not the only one.

I heavily shipped Robin and Lucina back in the day, so I had hoped for the two of them to be playable in the next Smash installment. I never even considered Chrom at the time. But then July 14th, 2014 came around. And I was just flabbergasted. I didn't scream out loud or anything, I just sat there, completely stunned. My dreams had come true. And from that point forward, I knew that I would forever main Robin.

When Smash 4 released, I played him non-stop. Compared to everyone else, I'd say I play as him 95% of the time, whereas the rest of the cast combined makes up 5% of my total character playtime. That won't change for Ultimate.

So yeah, if there's one thing that you could take from all of this, it's that I'm EXTREMELY loyal to my characters. Even if they happen to be the absolute worst fighting game character of all time, I would still main them. I'd find a way to make them work. I wouldn't even mind if people called me the #1 Robin elitist. I'd consider that an honor if anything.

Last edited:

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
I pick whoever I have the most fun playing as. Back in the old days I at first Mained Pikachu because I loved Pokémon. But at the same time I was practicing with fox due to starfox 64 being my fav game back then until he became my main. Nowadays I try everyone and go with who I have fun using even if I suck with them.

Last edited:

Uffe

Smash Hero
I mained Kirby and then picked up Captain Falcon. I used to play a lot of Kirby games, and I like F-Zero. I ended up using Falcon in Melee because Kirby just didn't feel right to me. Something about him overall just felt off. I ended up picking up Ness later on in Melee, despite him being a really bad character in that game. Brawl came out, I stick with Ness, and then I tried Wario. I wanted to use Falcon still, but he felt sloppy. Melee Falcon is just perfect. Even in Sm4sh, I can't really use him because he didn't have that traction he had in Melee. I've just been sticking with Ness, and I plan on using him in Sma5h as well. If he ends up being a really good character, well, then it was more of a loyalty reason that just happened to also be a great choice.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I'm not a competitive player. I'm tied for the best player with one other person out of my circle of friends, It's usually a very casual until it comes down to just me and that other really skilled friend. So I have no reason to choose my character based on how good I think they are. I just pick characters that I love from their source game ( granted, Smash Bros introduced me to a majority of these characters. Not all, but most. But I wouldn't gravitate toward them if I didn't love them in the source material )
I am a massive Nintendo fanboy though so my rotation of favorite characters is pretty big.

Mains:
:ultfalcon::ultdk::ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultduckhunt::ultkingdedede::ultlittlemac::ultmewtwo::ultmiifighters::ultness::ultpokemontrainer::ultsonic::ulttoonlink::ultvillager::ultwario::ultkrool:
Play them a lot:
:ultdiddy::ultfalco::ultgreninja::ultlink::ultlucas::ultmario::ultpacman::ultpeach::ultpikachu::ultpit::ultsamus::ultsheik::ultsnake::ultyoshi::ultyounglink::ultinkling::ultridley::ultsimon:
Play them sometimes:
:ultfox::ultganondorf::ulticeclimbers::ultjigglypuff::ultkirby::ultlucario::ultmegaman::ultmetaknight::ultolimar::ultryu::ultwolf::ultzelda::ultrichter::ultisabelle:
Rarely play them:
:ultcloud::ultgnw::ultcorrin::ulticeclimbers::ultike::ultluigi::ultmarth::ultpalutena::ultrob::ultrobin:ultshulk::ultwiifittrainer::ultzss:
Never play them:
:ultbayonetta::ultcorrin::ultdoc::ultlucina::ultpichu::ultdarkpit::ultrosalina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultdaisy:

Any Ultimate Newcomers are based on assumption, because while I don't choose on how good they are, thir movesets being fun also plays a role in it. I love me some Simon Belmont but if he's no fun to play as I'm probably not gonna touch him.

Routa

Smash Lord
Eh...
There has been many characters that I like, but they just don't "click" if you know what I mean. A character that "clicks" is one that has the right playstyle and good options. For example Brawl G&W "clicks" for me, but Sm4sh and Melee versions of him doesn't. Brawl is the only smash game so far which has had characters that "click" the right way (G&W and Wario).
I hope that I find out right away when Ultimate releases if there is a character that "clicks" (kinda hope that :ultrichter::ultdoc::ultgnw: "click" the right way". If there isn't any then I can jump right back to Tekken 7 and continue enjoying playing with Bob and Gigas.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
That's not really the point, I don't think. The point is whether you play as your favourite characters, or if you play as the best characters just because they're the best. If your favourite character happens to also be (one of) the best, then you're arguably playing this character out of loyalty. You kind of have a point for people who's favourite characters are literally just the best characters, but if their mains get nerfed to the ground they will no longer be the best and thus no longer be their main(s). And I don't think there are many people who suddenly love Bayonetta as a character because she's top tier in Smash 4 either, or Meta Knight because he was king in Brawl. Outside of Smash, their opinions on these characters likely won't change much because of how good they are.

You nailed it.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I've always stuck with the same two mains, Ness and Jigglypuff, since the very first Smash game. I've also tinkered with various secondaries, like Roy, R.O.B., Lucario, Snake, Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man. K. Rool is likely to be my latest main.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
I tend to play characters I like, but unfortunately, I'm pretty bad with Lucina so I don't use her as much as I would if I were good with her.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I tend to play characters I like, but unfortunately, I'm pretty bad with Lucina so I don't use her as much as I would if I were good with her.
True. BTW, this is why I don't play as Luigi.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Character loyalty. My signature has like the 20 + characters I'm loyal or will be loyal too. Won't jump out of my comfort zone anytime soon. I will try everyone out at least once. But I know who I'm mainly gonna be playing as simply due to playing them a lot in past entries or in the case of newcomers all of them so far (except Simon, Richter, and Daisy) I plan on playing extensively because they are all characters I adore.

Last edited:

Pip McGooley

Smash Rookie
I do have some characters that I'm loyal to because of them being in games I've played growing up, but playing the ones that are just overall better then others is also just as fun for me. This is probably why I have a decent roster of playable characters.

D

Deleted member

Loyalty all the way for me. I'll main Yoshi forever and always regardless of whether he's top tier or bottom tier, and I play a lot of characters I also happen to like aside from Yoshi, also regardless of how good they are. Characters I'm indifferent to, such as Ice Climbers, depend on whether I enjoy their playstyle or not. Characters I straight up don't like, I refuse to even touch unless it's necessary for challenges/unlockables/completion's sake, regardless of how fun their playstyle is. :yoshi:

Cloud fell into this last category in Smash 4 for me, but then FF VII was announced for Switch and I'll definitely enjoy playing him in Ultimate now, when it launches. That said, I'm really looking forward to Ultimate because there are SO MANY CHARACTERS I LOOK FORWARD TO PLAYING! I love almost the entire cast and there's nobody I outright hate (so far). I might main everyone. :laugh: (Nah jk, but I might play every character frequently at least.)

If you happen to like a character who happens to be one of the best, then you're more likely to play that character out of loyalty. If a patch drops that makes this character suddenly terrible, then fans of said character will stick with the character rather than swooping onto the next top tier bandwagon.

Sorry, I guess I missunderstood...

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I'm going to cheat and say both, I'm a character loyalist but regardless of any handicap or tier that comes with playing Jigglypuff in Ultimate I'm going to be playing to win, being bottom tier has never stopped me from taking the game seriously. You can acknowledge the game is unbalanced and/or not in your character's favor, as long as you try winning, don't make johns/excuses for your losses and seek to improve your play, I'd say you're playing to win.

Also, sorry, I know that's not what the question means but I don't like the implication that I'm not taking the game seriously just because of who I main lol.

Last edited:

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
Loyalty as in favorite characters?
I only play video games for fun so loyalty I guess. It feels better to win with your favorites rather than forcing yourself to use someone you don't care about to simply win a match.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Well, I'm a reasonable person and will try out as many characters to get a grasp of which one fits my playsty--

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I can't keep a straight face. Yoshi owns my body and my soul :yoshi::yoshi::yoshi::yoshi:

Last edited:

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
And that's fine. The point was character loyalty and choosing the best character isn't mutually exclusive.
Well, if they just choose the best character, and the best character keeps changing with patches, then they're not exactly loyal to a particular character, are they? :p
Sorry, I guess I missunderstood...
Hey, it's all good! No worries at all.

D

Deleted member

I always have Character Loyalty, Mr. Game & Watch has been my Main in every single game in the series that I've played. Sure he's always towards the bottom of the Tier List, but let's be honest, does it actually mean anything? No.

I'm still willing to try out new characters, which is why Snake is my Secondary in Brawl, and Pac-Man is my secondary in Sm4sh.

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
Character Loyalty.
Sonic's pretty much the reason I got into Smash so of course I'm maining him(All though if Tails somehow gets in, then he'll be my my main), I mained Corrin being inspired by Etika (His reasons for maining her, were also mine ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ), I supported Ridley ever since the discussion of a Smash 5 came into the minds and Isabelle's looks so gosh darn adorable.

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
I’m all over the place. I’ll literally play as anyone. A character I hate in one game, will be my main in the next. There is very little consistenty with me.

And it’s a variety of things that make me like a character. It’s mostly a combination of how much I like the character, and just how fun they are. With the fun factor being most important to me. Like I love Lucario, but man is he just not a satisfying character to play. And I don’t really have any attachment to Roy in Fire Emblem, but in Smash he’s a blast to play as. That’s just me anyway.

And I don’t really care about whether a character is necessarily good or not. As long as they feel good.

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
Kind of both? Like, I'm unlikely to use a character I don't really know (Like Cloud), even though I like their movesets, but I'm also unlikely to use a character who I like, but whose moveset I'm not too fond of (like Palutena).

Characters I tend to main are characters I'm both familiar with, and also fond of their moveset. Alph, Yoshi, and Lucina are examples of this. The more I feel in sync with one's moveset, the higher chance I feel like I could win with them. (EDIT: On top of that, I just tend to have more fun with characters I'm familiar with.)

Last edited:

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
I've tried every character and it seems mostly only low tier trash tends to mesh well with me. Maybe in Ultimate though...

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
I tend to play at least one match with everyone then stick to the fighters I like to play as, mainly sword wielders, as for things that changed I do tend to play as the newer sword wielders as opposed to returning ones to spice things up, also back before brawl came out I used to be more into heavy fighters.

_sneaK

Smash Apprentice
I like to stay loyal to certain character and but I personally like to get good at playing or just familiarize myself with the entire roster

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I play as characters who are considered my favorites and have played their games they came from. That’s character loyalty right there.

I have a special attachment to these characters...the one that will never break away.

Last edited:

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Loyalty but definitely a certified tryhard with them even if they're low-tier

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
I play as characters I've grown fond of and I'm confident using. I've been playing as Zelda since melee for example and I plan to continue to main Wii Fit Trainer in ultimate as I did in smash 4. I want to be the best with Wii-Fit. So I would say loyalty. Sure, if I wanted to play to win, I could just pick up Mario, Cloud, or Bayo and force myself to like them and be good at using them so I'll win tournaments but that's no fun for me. I'd rather stick with my favorites and achieve my goals my own way. It's more satisfying.

Payaso Jazzista

Smash Rookie
NNID
Smashville123
3DS FC
2681-5071-6047
I'll still stick to my characters, personally playing to win Isn't bad even If there are only characters from the top 8, It's a competition after all and you will find any way to win no matter what.

Mains: :ultlink: :ultyounglink: :ultike: :ultpichu::ultsonic:

Secondaries: :ultpokemontrainer: :ultroy::ultmewtwo: :ultpit: :ultganondorf:

Top Bottom