• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Exploration Thread - Day 79: Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
BTW, am I supposed to get noms for the Brian day? Or did that not count since I originally nominated it? XD

amageish

Smash Master
Sorry, yeah, we never actually began discussing Goomba/Gombella; we just discussed this thread itself. So, let's discuss them now for real.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
So I'll start things off by asking The Big One: how exactly could Goomba fight?

Now then, this isn't me trying to discredit the possibility. Plant has shown that you can make a moveset out of stuff like this - the reason I'm asking this is because I'm genuinely curious to see what kind of moveset potential you could mine out of Goomba the same way they did Plant. I want to see how creative they could get.

Anyway, x5 noms on Opa-Opa

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I could imagine Goomba having a Pikmin-style mechanic where you have a certain number of Goombas for players to make formations out of. Maybe have a Neutral Special where you input a direction to put them in a formation, including the famous "Goomba Stack" that has been in many titles in the series.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So I'll start things off by asking The Big One: how exactly could Goomba fight?

Now then, this isn't me trying to discredit the possibility. Plant has shown that you can make a moveset out of stuff like this - the reason I'm asking this is because I'm genuinely curious to see what kind of moveset potential you could mine out of Goomba the same way they did Plant. I want to see how creative they could get.

Anyway, x5 noms on Opa-Opa
well a goomba could in theory have a moveset with a lot of kicking. goombella can use her headbonk where she head buts them. of course there could be the classic tackle/walk into people. and i do believe there have been the occasional sports game with so they could pull sports equipment. oh yes and goombella could smak em with a book.

amageish

Smash Master
Given the fact Gombella was specifically name-dropped in the nomination, I'm imagining this Goomba moveset would be taking from the RPG side of things in particular. Goombas are shown to be able to hold things despite having arms in both some of the RPGs and some spin-offs too, so... make of that what you wil!

1633891963672.png

Look, Ma, No Hands!

I'll also make up a Goomba music set, focusing more on the RPG side of things....

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm thinking the Grab can just be it, well, biting you and holding on. For the Grab Attack itself, since it has no feasible limbs in this case, it'll shake you like a dog with a chew toy. For the Down and Up Throw, it can use a Headbonk to slam you down into the ground(fully so you're actually trapped in there for a bit) and Headbonk you up high so the character goes flying. Forward and Back Throw can be simply whipping the enemy forwards/backwards with their mouth.

Down Air works as a falling Headbonk. Dash Attack could be a unique joke-like move where it starts moving slowly(like the regular Goomba walk) and hits the enemy with a few invincibility frames and low damage(but semi-decent knockback). Neutral A and Jab Combo can be a series of bites based upon Super Mario RPG.

Only taunt I can think of is Tattle-based.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Goombas are my favorite basic enemy in any video game. I’ve always loved the little guys and even bought a bit of Goomba related merchandise. Goombella was also my favorite character in any of the Mario RPG games. Partially due to her being a Goomba but I also found her really endearing on her own merits. Unfortunately, she became fairly useless early on once you got a few other party members but I’d love to see her as an alt while using her as inspiration for a few moves.

I think they have a lot more moveset potential than a lot of people might assume. Here are a few ideas:

I think you could probably utilize the Goomba shoe as well as the micro Goombas from Super Mario Bros. 3 for some of the specials. I think the Goomba could sprout wings and fly around for its recovery dropping mini Goombas that stick to enemies like Olimar’s Pikmin. The Goomba shoe could make for a cool down special where it hops forward across the ground and stomps. I think Goombella’s head bonk would make for a great side special.

I’d love to work Dr. Goomba Tower in the moveset somehow since I think the idea was hilarious but I’m not sure where to fit it in. I could see the final smash being a massive Goomba tower that slams into their opponent.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Only taunt I can think of is Tattle-based.
Oooooh, can we get a Gombella Smash Taunt? Have her tattle on all her foes...

Also, they've confirmed Newcomer Speculation is being shut down on October 21st, with a new sub-forum opening for discussing the next Smash Bros game. I think we'll still move to the Gaming Hangout section and expand into discussing other platform fighters, but that gives us a deadline for moving!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Goombas are my favorite basic enemy in any video game. I’ve always loved the little guys and even bought a bit of Goomba related merchandise. Goombella was also my favorite character in any of the Mario RPG games. Partially due to her being a Goomba but I also found her really endearing on her own merits. Unfortunately, she became fairly useless early on once you got a few other party members but I’d love to see her as an alt while using her as inspiration for a few moves.

I think they have a lot more moveset potential than a lot of people might assume. Here are a few ideas:

I think you could probably utilize the Goomba shoe as well as the micro Goombas from Super Mario Bros. 3 for some of the specials. I think the Goomba could sprout wings and fly around for its recovery dropping mini Goombas that stick to enemies like Olimar’s Pikmin. The Goomba shoe could make for a cool down special where it hops forward across the ground and stomps. I think Goombella’s head bonk would make for a great side special.

I’d love to work Dr. Goomba Tower in the moveset somehow since I think the idea was hilarious but I’m not sure where to fit it in. I could see the final smash being a massive Goomba tower that slams into their opponent.
im curious, how do you feel about goombario?

Oooooh, can we get a Gombella Smash Taunt? Have her tattle on all her foes...

Also, they've confirmed Newcomer Speculation is being shut down on October 21st, with a new sub-forum opening for discussing the next Smash Bros game. I think we'll still move to the Gaming Hangout section and expand into discussing other platform fighters, but that gives us a deadline for moving!
sounds good

Gengar84

Smash Hero
im curious, how do you feel about goombario?

sounds good
I’ve actually never played the first Paper Mario game so I don’t really have much an opinion on Goombario. Design wise, I think Goombella is more interesting.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I’ve actually never played the first Paper Mario game so I don’t really have much an opinion on Goombario. Design wise, I think Goombella is more interesting.
fair enough

oh yes amageish amageish why have you got learning a new skill from TYD as a music for goomba? thats for the other mushroom people

speaking of music, who's for professor frankly's theme?

amageish

Smash Master
fair enough

oh yes amageish amageish why have you got learning a new skill from TYD as a music for goomba? thats for the other mushroom people

speaking of music, who's for professor frankly's theme?
Some of the songs were just songs from games I imagine would be referenced in a Goomba kit; they're not all super Goomba-themed... Also Rogueport's theme is one of the only TYD songs in Smash already, so my options for specific Gomebella stuff were limited.

Frankly's Theme would be good though!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Some of the songs were just songs from games I imagine would be referenced in a Goomba kit; they're not all super Goomba-themed... Also Rogueport's theme is one of the only TYD songs in Smash already, so my options for specific Gomebella stuff were limited.

Frankly's Theme would be good though!
good point. Just so long as we remember it’s toadettes theme

it was the first goomba theme that came into my head

amageish

Smash Master
I'm going to say that that was a good amount of Goomba discussion, as it lated more then a day in practice... Let's move onto Heavy and I'll figure out noms shortly!

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah, uh, TF2 is definitely not a franchise I am qualified to discuss. I have tried to play it, but it gives me some wicked motion sickness.... That said, here's some music from it!

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So for anybody who's been living under a rock, Team Fortress 2 is a late-2000's first-person shooter with customizable load-outs that shaped how content is added to games today, making it as influential as Doom and Halo in the genre. The Heavy is arguably the face of the entire game, seen in box art and featured prominently in a lot of TF2-related media. In-game, the Heavy is a Defensive class that effectively serves as a tank: a low-mobility, high-defense class that carried a giant minigun that he uses to mow down anybody that tries to directly assault him. His only weaknesses are Snipers and Spies, more so than other classes, for their ability to instantly kill players in the right circumstances. In Smash, I imagine the Heavy being a defensive powerhouse that uses far-reaching sustained-damage attacks with the mini-gun from a distance while crushing anybody that gets too close with short-range burst-damage attacks.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Heavy would be extremely slow but he would, obviously, be heavy.
He'd also have a focus on ranged attacks with his various miniguns and shotguns but he's no slouch up close with his fists, various gloves and knuckle dusters as well as bludgeons like a frying pan, a Saxxy, a Crossing Guard or a Conscientious Objector.

He also has a subset of weapons that heal him and can provide buffs like the Sandvich, Dalokahs Bar and Buffalo Steak Sandwich. The Sandvich is a straight heal, Dalokahs allows for an overheal and Steak provides a speed boost and mini-crits on melee.

Heavy has a variety of Miniguns to go through, there's the regular minigun with a wind up speed before firing a barrage of bullets, you can do an early wind up so you can start firing immediately instead of waiting for the wind up, there's the Tomislav which is a quiet start up but relevant to Smash is faster wind up and more accuracy at the expense of damage, there's the Brass Beast which provides more damage and a defence buff when spun up but dramatically slows Heavy down and has a slower wind up, Natascha isn't too dissimilar but rather than more damage it also deals less but each hit slows the target down and then there's the Huo Long Heater which slightly reduces bullet damage but it shoots out rings of fire when spun up which can burn the foe, this also costs more bullets however.

Heavy has three shotguns, a regular Shotgun, the Family Business and Panic Attack. The Family business has more shots and fires faster but deals less damage whilst the Panic Attack fires more pellets but base damage is lower, this can be rapid fired but each successive shot has a wider pellet range so this is best used right up close.

Heavy's melee weapons are as such, Fists and Bludgeons are normal attacks, the KGB swing slower but grant guaranteed crits on kill for a few seconds, the GRU let Heavy run quickly but he drains damage (he used to suffer a defence drop when equipped), the Warrior's Spirit deal more damage and restore health on kill but Heavy takes more damage, the Fists of Steel grant more ranged defence whilst Melee attacks are stronger and takes longer to put away, the Eviction Notice let Heavy move faster, grant an extra speed boost on hit and swing faster but he deals less damage and drains health and finally the Holiday Punch, these act normal but a crit hit (of which it always crits from behind) will force the foe to taunt and leave them vulnerable.

Heavy's taunts are worth covering because one is actually lethal and ties into Holiday Punch. The Showdown has Heavy adopt a Western Cowboy Duel stance and then he draws a finger gun and exclaims "POW!" before laughing. This will kill any foe within a short range

One of the most (in)famous class combos in TF2 is the Heavy + Medic combo, often called a Pocket Medic because Medics often only heal the Heavy even though the Soldier is about to die, no seriously heal hi- he's dead. Anyway, the Medic provides a passive heal over time and can even overheal to an extent and this depends on his Mediguns. Unique to the Medic is the Ubercharge which is a special effect provided to the healing target when fully charged and again, this varies by Medigun. Some have much faster healing, some grant invincibility, one grants a shield and another grants guaranteed crits. This might factor in for a final smash recreating the end of Meet the Medic with an Ubercharged Heavy and Medic storming the advancing foes and wiping them out, standing on a mountain of bodies.

Paraster

Smash Lord
My main question is what Heavy's up special would be. An uppercut? The grappling hook used in one weird, often-ignored game mode? The high-jump magic spell? Something else?

I remember seeing a video that suggested referencing Russian martial arts for Heavy's normals, which I think is brilliant.

As for stages, there's a lot of options. I'm partial to Gravel Pit due to the Point C tower being perfect for a Smash stage, but 2Fort is considerably more iconic.

Classic Mode should be themed on fighters with hats. Saxton Hale would ABSOLUTELY be a Legend spirit.

Also: several weapons and cosmetics in TF2 were originally created by community members before being officially added to the game. Would depicting these items in Smash without negotiating with their respective creators be feasible?

amageish

Smash Master
My main question is what Heavy's up special would be. An uppercut? The grappling hook used in one weird, often-ignored game mode? The high-jump magic spell? Something else?
Part of me wants to make it be a rocket jump, as while that is not Heavy's thing, it is a very famous/iconic part of TF2...

Also: several weapons and cosmetics in TF2 were originally created by community members before being officially added to the game. Would depicting these items in Smash without negotiating with their respective creators be feasible?
Depends on Valve's contracts with the creators, if they got them to sign off the rights with credit or if they just signed the rights for the game itself...

amageish

Smash Master
Okay, everyone, here's all the noms that have been acquired since Ahemtoday's last post and now.

Friendly reminder that (i) this thread will be moving soon, likely this coming Saturday, as the Newcomer Speculation sub-forum is closing and (ii) we are now accepting nominations of non-gaming characters and characters you would like to see become playable in non-Smash platform fighters (ex/ Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl, Fraymakers, etc.). Please specify what game you are nominating characters for in your nomination post.

75+ noms
Dart Monkey (Bloons) - x105
The Knight (Hollow Knight) - x100
Black Mage - x85

50-75 noms
Shovel Knight - x75
God Eater Rep - x75
Shy Guy - x70
Hearthstone Innkeeper - x65
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x65
Scizor - x65

FEH Summoner - x60
Crypto - x60

26-50 noms
Bubsy - x50
Vectorman - x45
Luna Loud (NASB) - x45
2B - x40
Jonesy - x37
Wilfre - x30
Wadanohara* - x30
Zero Escape Rep - x30
Jason Frudnick - x30
Sly Cooper - x28
Trauma Center Content - x28

11-25 noms
Chun-Li - x25
Meowth - x25
SMT Content - x25
Master Hand - x20
Mega Man X - x20
Morrigan - x20
Daitoryo - x20
Ezio - x15
Darkest Dungeon Content - x11

5-10 noms
Gunvolt - x10
Pauline - x10
Opa-Opa - x5
King Harkinian - x5
Jack (Final Fantasy Origin) - x5
Carl Johnson - x5
Frogger - x5
9-volt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Ahri - x5
Spyro the Dragon - x3
Tracer - x3
Chell - x3
Lobotomy Corporation/Library of Ruina Content - x2

Otherwise, it has been over 24 hours, so let's begin the day of Axel Stone.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
noms go to the knight and ill kick off the questions with what game is axel stone from? cause i think my guess is way off

edit: oh streets of rage. man i was thinking golden axe. i was really off

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Noms going to FEH Summoner.

And to answer fogbadge's question, Axel's from a beat-em-up game called Streets of Rage, which was developed by SEGA. This series in particular is of note because Streets of Rage 4 recently revived the series, giving it a very big boost in recognition in the public eyes.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
noms go to the knight and ill kick off the questions with what game is axel stone from? cause i think my guess is way off
Axel is from Streets of Rage, which is a beat-em-up series by SEGA that originally was a trilogy on the Mega Drive but recently got a fourth game on modern platforms.

Axel himself is more or less the face of the franchise along with Blaze Fielding - both of whom are the only ones to have had perfect attendance throughout the entire series

10x noms on Opa-Opa

Top Bottom