• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Exploration Thread - Day 79: Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)

amageish

Smash Master
I can't say I am super familiar with Quest 64, but I respect the passion of its fanbase! It's an interesting game historically as well.

We also don't have a full well-rounded mage character yet, who uses elemental magic to just... do magic. Hero, Robin, Zelda, etc. all have aspects of magic in their movesets, but we don't have a pure traditional JRPG magician and Brian would be fantastic at feeling that niche.

I usually do music samples, but am not really qualified for this one... Anyone else have thoughts on the music of Quest 64?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I can't say I am super familiar with Quest 64, but I respect the passion of its fanbase! It's an interesting game historically as well.

We also don't have a full well-rounded mage character yet, who uses elemental magic to just... do magic. Hero, Robin, Zelda, etc. all have aspects of magic in their movesets, but we don't have a pure traditional JRPG magician and Brian would be fantastic at feeling that niche.

I usually do music samples, but am not really qualified for this one... Anyone else have thoughts on the music of Quest 64?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUzzerParZ0&list=PLUlHX64efYpTNgIHZfIRdoMm8MbAQBAnb Here's a list of all the songs if it helps.

I did list a bunch among my template, all notable music too.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well white forest there has pretty much answered all the questions pre-emptively. i could ask i suppose what you could tell us about the games reception or perhaps its dev process?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
well white forest there has pretty much answered all the questions pre-emptively. i could ask i suppose what you could tell us about the games reception or perhaps its dev process?
The game had decent reception in general originally, though enough sales to become a critical success.

For development, the game got rushed a bit later on, so many ideal stuff didn't make it in, including more playable characters, equipment, a ridable horse(the riding part), and a monetary system.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The game had decent reception in general originally, though enough sales to become a critical success.

For development, the game got rushed a bit later on, so many ideal stuff didn't make it in, including more playable characters, equipment, a ridable horse(the riding part), and a monetary system.
thats a shame. it always sucks when a game ends up incomplete. if only it had been made these they could have patched it all in

though reading about ideas cut from games is something i enjoy

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Now something I've had issues with is figuring out actual Taunts. The best I could come up with, despite everything, is him "Circling his staff above his head, then slamming it into the ground." Any thoughts? I still need 3 total, after all.

His Victory Animation(he jumps in the air and then turns in the direction of where he was last facing) obviously translates better for the Victory Screens.

amageish

Smash Master
Sorry, White Frost, I really wish I had more things to say about Brian, but I just don't know enough to say much... You wrote a very good pitch for him though!

75+ noms
Ori - x145
Carmen Sandiego - x140
Goomba/Goombella - x115
Heavy - x100
Axel Stone - x95
Endo Mamoru - x90
Ryu Hayabusa - x90
Filia (Skullgirls) - x90

Black Mage - x85
Dart Monkey (Bloons) - x85

50-75 noms
Shovel Knight - x75
God Eater Rep - x75
Hearthstone Innkeeper - x65
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x65
FEH Summoner - x60
Crypto - x60
The Knight (Hollow Knight) - x60

26-50 noms
Bubsy - x50
Vectorman - x45
Shy Guy - x45
Scizor - x45
2B - x40
Jonesy - x37
Wilfre - x30
Wadanohara* - x30
Zero Escape Rep - x30
Jason Frudnick - x30
Sly Cooper - x28
Trauma Center Content - x28

11-25 noms
Chun-Li - x25
Meowth - x25
SMT Content - x25
Master Hand - x20
Mega Man X - x20
Morrigan - x20
Daitoryo - x20
Ezio - x15
Darkest Dungeon Content - x11

5-10 noms
Gunvolt - x10
Pauline - x10
King Harkinian - x5
Jack (Final Fantasy Origin) - x5
Carl Johnson - x5
Frogger - x5
9-volt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Ahri - x5
Spyro the Dragon - x3
Tracer - x3
Chell - x3
Lobotomy Corporation/Library of Ruina Content - x2

Sorry I'm late with this post as well, everyone. I wanted to ensure all noms came in...

Next 7 Are:
Day 75: Ori
Day 76: Carmen Sandiego (this will begin tomorrow evening and will include the day of the final Presents; we can do a day of reactions too as part of this people wish to)
Day 77: Goomba/Goombella
Day 78: Heavy
Day 79: Axel Stone
Day 80: Endo Mamoru
Day 81: Filia (Skullgirls)
Day 82: Ryu Hayabusa

Ori discussion begins now! As Ori's already in a high-profile platform fighter, I'll post the trailer from that here...

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Ori and the Blind Forest is, to put it in the most sophisticated manner appropriate at the moment, ****ING. BEAUTIFUL.

It's a Metroidvania video game about a small creature named Ori who has to save their surrogate mother Naru by saving a forest that is dying from a lack of three elements: Water, Wind, and Fire. The game has a heartwrenching story that'll hit you right in the feels and gameplay that feels impactful and unique.

So you may be asking: how would Ori play? Well, as amageish brought up, there's Ori's moveset from Rivals of Aether, but other people have thought of ideas for an Ori set specifically for Smash Bros! Take FeliciaFan's set, for example:

Though another big question is how much from Blind Forest and how much from Will of the Wisps would a set take from.

Noms:
Dart Monkey x5

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yoooo Ori

right before the final presentation

I urge y’all to play that game, it’s a masterpiece

and they have to come with Light of Nibel and Restoring The Light, Facing The Dark as BGM. no questions asked

amageish

Smash Master
Ori and the Blind Forest has such a beautiful world... Do you think they'd make a 3D stage based on it, or just try to recreate the original painting-esque game world as accurately as they can?

I may have published a book with a place called the blind forest in it. It’s not important
You'll probably be fine haha. Unless you purposefully made it look like Ori in some way to cause market confusion, I doubt anyone will/would care.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Ori and the Blind Forest has such a beautiful world... Do you think they'd make a 3D stage based on it, or just try to recreate the original painting-esque game world as accurately as they can?

You'll probably be fine haha. Unless you purposefully made it look like Ori in some way to cause market confusion, I doubt anyone will/would care.
well I hadn’t heard of ori before it turned up on switch so it is a coincidence I just doubt people will believe me

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
20? i thought i only asked the one question. oh well to the knight they go

oh yes i did think of a question for ori, what sort of victory theme do you supposed theyd have? is there a nice little jingle in the games thatd work or would it be taken from a major theme?
Probably a snippet from Light of Nibel, the main melody could be considered their “theme”

amageish

Smash Master
Well, before we move to another home and onto Carmen's day, I'm declaring today a new day based on a concept I am making up on the fly. Day 76: Sora Re-Explored.

Basically, if you participated in Sora's day when we had it back in May of this year, then feel free to look back on your posts and see how different your concepts were from the final products. And, if you didn't participate that day, feel free to just talk about Sora in general like most threads on the board are.

I honestly do not know because of licensing, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

People already mentioned Advent Children as "non-game content," but we've had stuff that technically originated from media other then video games since Brawl with music that first appeared in Kirby Right Back At Ya. I don't think Sakurai's wanting Smash to be a gaming-focused crossover would ban him from including characters who originated outside of video games as long as they are clearly the versions of those characters that are famous for appearing in video games. Heck, we already have plenty of spirits that come from folklore and public domain works; Kingdom Hearts bringing Disney would be a step beyond that, but not a game-breaking one IMO.

Plus, Sakurai is a person. He can choose to include Mickey with Sora while not choosing to add Goku to the roster...
Okay, so I argued that non-gaming-original content could come with Sora... I was kind of right in the sense that they didn't actively pretend Disney wasn't a major part of Kingdom Hearts, but also kind of wrong in the sense that they aren't really bringing the Disney side into the game in major ways either.

I do get that and I get wanting a singular canon complaint Sora over Sora and canon-stretching alts, but I still think Smash's attitude has been leaning in on the alts lately... though maybe it's just when they have the resources leftover to do less-logical things.
I also was suggesting that they could have some other keyblade wielders with Sora as Sakurai has been kind of going crazy with alts lately... Well, I was very right about the going crazy with alts parts, less so about the other hcaracters.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Well, I called Satan up and average temperatures in Hell are now -42069 degrees. God DAMN, I entertained the idea but actually did not expect Sora in Smash, sweet mama. I will say to everybody bummed out about the lack of Disney that if you think about it, ALL KH characters are Disney characters, even though it's Square making them, but hey, maybe the Disney stuff will actually be on the console by the time it releases, but IDK.

His kit looks pretty fun, too. From what I've played in the original KH1 (I have The Story So Far on PS4), I feel like it kind of replicates the gameplay well. Now I wanna play through it. I got stuck when I went up against the shadow copy of Sora on Captain Hook's ship and now I really wanna finish it.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
so did you make a new one?
Whoops! Sorry, I think Nick All-Stars has occupied too much of my thoughts and I completely forgot about this...

I will make a new thread soon, but as the support threads are still open, let's just discuss Carmen Sandiego here for now, if anyone interested in doing so.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Whoops! Sorry, I think Nick All-Stars has occupied too much of my thoughts and I completely forgot about this...

I will make a new thread soon, but as the support threads are still open, let's just discuss Carmen Sandiego here for now, if anyone interested in doing so.

phew i was worried i was missing out.

how is nick all stars? i mean what sort of stage would she bring?

GolisoPower

Smash Master

Alrighty then!

Carmen Sandiego is the titular antagonist of the series of edutainment games created by now-defunct company Brøderbund and currently owned by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, a book-publishing company. This puts Carmen up there with Sora as a video game character who's owned by a non-video game company. Carmen herself is known for having a crazy big catalogue of underlings at her command and a knack for stealing that could allow her to steal actual CONCEPTS. If she felt like it, she could steal the concept of TIME.

This could make her a blend of Joker, Duck Hunt's Wild Gunman and Shang Tsung's abilities from Mortal Kombat in the sense that she could summon henchmen to fight for her while she steals from either the fighter or the stage!

A stage can be really difficult to pin down, because AFAIK, unlike with Okarin, she doesn't have much of a stage that's both original in the series and not based on a real life location. They could give her a unique, Smash-original evil hideout stage based on the organization she runs, V.I.L.E.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master

You're all good!

NASB is very fun to play. It needs polish in terms of visuals and sound design still, but the actual gameplay is very solid. Good platform fighter chaotic fun.

As for Carmen's stage... Well, as GolisoPower points out, her entire thing is travelling across the real world and across real world time periods, which Smash Bros may not want to depict directly. I think a travelling stage a la Pilotwings would be perfect for her in premise, but I'd get not wanting to depict all the real places she steals stuff from... So, I'm just going to suggest we give her a stage representing the place the player is from the ACME Detective Agency, as I believe you see some of that in the games themselves.

Alternatively, maybe we can get away with referencing one of the animated shows? Idk. Smash is done and this thread can be whatever we want it to be; who says we have to restrict ourselves to the rules of Smash!

SharkLord

Smash Hero
It might seem a bit irresponsible of me to ask this, but would anybody be interested in taking over completely for me? I've been dropping off more and more and being absolutely horrendous with keeping track of the schedule, and I kinda had it set that everything would close right after CP11 - As we can tell, SmashBoards hasn't ground to a halt just yet, so that was an incorrect prediction. I feel like this thread would be run better by someone else at this point. If anyone says yes, they can set up a new first post and ask the mods to move it up - You can get a better explanation from the mods themselves in the directory.

amageish

Smash Master
No need to apologize, SharkLord and Ahemtoday! I totally get that things are changing in a big way now and you may not be interested in this sort of speculation/discussion at this point. As I said before, I'm happy to keep running a version of this thread, but potentially expanded to cover more platform fighters and concepts. I will probably make a new thread though, as I imagine that we're going to shut down support threads and speculation threads at some point in the near future, even if they haven't just frozen the most popular sections of the board the moment they became outdated.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
I've never thought hard about this concept but omg Carmen Sandiego would be the one of the wildest additions to Smash. Like think about everything she could bring for a sec. She'd rep the surprisingly important genre of edutainment games, she's a classic PC game character, and she's a female villain. Not to mention she's more iconic than you'd think. I bet a lot of Americans are familiar with the name. I guess I never considered her and Smash much because the TV program from the 90s is probably her most famous appearance. Still she'd be totally a valid addition because video games are her forte in the end.

(Imagine the Rockapella theme song from the TV show in Smash...)

A stage can be really difficult to pin down, because AFAIK, unlike with Okarin, she doesn't have much of a stage that's both original in the series and not based on a real life location. They could give her a unique, Smash-original evil hideout stage based on the organization she runs, V.I.L.E.
I know people like to have their Smash characters originate in video games but I think having a stage based off a real world location wouldn't ruffle that many feathers, and how could you have Carmen Sandiego without teaching geography amirite?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’ve never played a Carmen Sandiego game but I remember watching a game show as a kid with a live action Carmen Sandiego game in it. She has a cool and iconic design and would make for a really interesting Smash character. I like the ideas suggested of her using her henchmen for her move set and I think a traveling stage would be perfect for her. If she gets in, it would be funny if she didn’t show up on the character select screen but you had to input a code to play as her (like Akuma in the old Street Fighter games).

As far as the new thread goes, I’m assuming that support threads will no longer be a requirement for nominating a character? How about discussion on characters from non gaming properties?

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I've never thought hard about this concept but omg Carmen Sandiego would be the one of the wildest additions to Smash. Like think about everything she could bring for a sec. She'd rep the surprisingly important genre of edutainment games, she's a classic PC game character, and she's a female villain. Not to mention she's more iconic than you'd think. I bet a lot of Americans are familiar with the name. I guess I never considered her and Smash much because the TV program from the 90s is probably her most famous appearance. Still she'd be totally a valid addition because video games are her forte in the end.

(Imagine the Rockapella theme song from the TV show in Smash...)
Yeah, she's in a really interesting position - she's probably the most famous edutainment game character, but she's also most famous for cartoons and live-action game shows. She was a game character at first though and I think that's still the most important part of her legacy; it's just hard to say if they'd accept content from her non-game appearances.

On that note, here's a some music tracks for her. A lot of her games were scored by adaptations of real-world folk songs, so I threw some of those in too...

As far as the new thread goes, I’m assuming that support threads will no longer be a requirement for nominating a character? How about discussion on characters from non gaming properties?
I am willing to take suggestions on both of those matters, but here's what my mind defaults to: You can nominate any character you like, but you also have to suggest the game they would be playable in and that character has to be appropriate for that game, if that makes sense? So, if you want to discuss a Smash concept, then it would have to be a video game character, but if you want to discuss Hugh Neutron as a Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl character or Superman in your very exciting idea for a DC Comics platform fighter, then that would be fine too. Does that seem fair?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Yeah, she's in a really interesting position - she's probably the most famous edutainment game character, but she's also most famous for cartoons and live-action game shows. She was a game character at first though and I think that's still the most important part of her legacy; it's just hard to say if they'd accept content from her non-game appearances.

On that note, here's a some music tracks for her. A lot of her games were scored by adaptations of real-world folk songs, so I threw some of those in too...

I am willing to take suggestions on both of those matters, but here's what my mind defaults to: You can nominate any character you like, but you also have to suggest the game they would be playable in and that character has to be appropriate for that game, if that makes sense? So, if you want to discuss a Smash concept, then it would have to be a video game character, but if you want to discuss Hugh Neutron as a Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl character or Superman in your very exciting idea for a DC Comics platform fighter, then that would be fine too. Does that seem fair?
I’m fine with anything really. My personal thoughts are if we’re opening up discussion for non video game characters in other games, I don’t really see any reason to leave them out of Smash discussion. It’s all hypothetical and for fun at this point and I think it could be interesting to hear people’s thoughts on how someone like Spider-Man or the Predator could play in Smash. It doesn’t really mean it’s going to happen. Honestly, a lot of characters we already talk about here (like Zegram) have no real shot of ever getting in so I don’t see that as a reason not to talk about them.

amageish

Smash Master
So, Carmen's day ended up being a little bit "Day 77: Carmen and Also the Concept of What To Do With This Thread," but it has been 24 hours, so I'm happy moving onto Goomba/Goombella if others are ready too as well.

I'll think of how to phrase the rules when making a new thread. My only concern is that something too broad will lead to it all being memes that are pragmatically difficult to discuss, but hopefully those topics wouldn't make it into the top 7.

I'm also personally going to start nominating some Nick concepts, just so that we will hopefully having something other then Smash in the top 7 when we move into the new thread haha.

75+ noms
Dart Monkey (Bloons) - x105
The Knight (Hollow Knight) - x100
Black Mage - x85

50-75 noms
Shovel Knight - x75
God Eater Rep - x75
Hearthstone Innkeeper - x65
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x65
FEH Summoner - x60
Crypto - x60
Scizor - x55