• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Exploration Thread - Day 79: Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Well in that case, all my nominations towards Dishonored content. Any excuse to talk about a series I thoroughly enjoy. Characters, stages, lots of fun stuff to think about.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’ve never played a Yakuza game but Ichiban looks like a fun character. I’m curious what kind of specials he could have in Smash. Yakuza is pretty wacky but as far as I’m aware, it is still largely based on reality and I’m not aware of any powers characters have. I’m particularly curious what his recovery could be.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I can't comment much on Yakuza rep because I never got to play this series. Hopefully, I will start playing this series via Gamepass. Does anyone know play order in Gamepass?

But at least from Project X depiction, Ichiban would be pretty wacky and hillarious fighter.

Nom: Ezio x Max

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I can't comment much on Yakuza rep because I never got to play this series. Hopefully, I will start playing this series via Gamepass. Does anyone know play order in Gamepass?

But at least from Project X depiction, Ichiban would be pretty wacky and hillarious fighter.

Nom: Ezio x Max
You can jump into Like a Dragon because it starts a new saga entirely, you'll just miss out on some smaller stuff

But if you want the whole series then go 0 > Kiwami > Kiwami 2 > 3 > 4 > 5 > 6 > LaD for chronological order, the main downsides are that going from Kiwami 2 back to 3 is a huge step down and the series progressively has less of a certain fan favourite character as you go on.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
As mentioned before, all my nominations towards Dishonored discussion.
I’ve never played a Yakuza game but Ichiban looks like a fun character. I’m curious what kind of specials he could have in Smash. Yakuza is pretty wacky but as far as I’m aware, it is still largely based on reality and I’m not aware of any powers characters have. I’m particularly curious what his recovery could be.
If you scroll up a bit, I made a whole moveset infographic complete with specials. I think Ichiban in particular could have some really fun stuff :)

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
I don't know anything about Trails, but I know exactly what I want her dash attack to be.

Estelle Bright GIF - Estelle Bright Trails GIFs

Honestly, I think it could be an interesting move. That horizontal swing looks like it could be a hit in and of itself, so I think it'd be an attack that starts and ends quickly... but is vulnerable between the two hits if you whiff the first one. Can't think of many attacks like that.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

amageish

Smash Master
Just checking, is Octoling this week?
Octoling is not yet locked into the schedule, but there are only two days after Estelle: Rivals of Aether and Gengar. Octoling is currently in line to be locked into the schedule, barring some huge shake-up in the noms list.

Whoops! I missed a notification once and therefore fell behind... Lemme catch up. Oh, but first, work before pleasure...

75+ noms
Velvet Crowe - x110
Tsubasa Oribe - x105
Octoling - x97
Rintarou Okabe - x95
Brian - x95
Axel Stone - x90
Endo Mamoru - x90
Toad - x85
Black Mage - x85
Alm - x80

50-75 noms
Shovel Knight - x75
Ryu Hayabusa - x75
Filia (Skullgirls) - x70
Ori - x70
Hearthstone Innkeeper - x65
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x65
Heavy - x60
Goomba/Goombella - x55

26-50 noms
Bubsy - x50
Vectorman - x45
Carmen Sandiego - x45
Crypto - x45
2B - x40
God Eater Rep - x35
Jonesy - x32
Wilfre - x30
Wadanohara* - x30
Zero Escape Rep - x30
Jason Frudnick - x30
Sly Cooper - x28
Trauma Center Content - x28

11-25 noms
Chun-Li - x25
Meowth - x25
Dart Monkey (Bloons) - x25
Master Hand - x20
Mega Man X - x20
Morrigan - x20
Daitoryo - x20
Darkest Dungeon Content - x11

5-10 noms
Gunvolt - x10
FEH Summoner - x10
Jack (Final Fantasy Origin) - x5
Scizor - x5
Carl Johnson - x5
SMT Content - x5
Frogger - x5
Ezio - x5
9-volt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Ahri - x5
Spyro the Dragon - x3
Tracer - x3
Chell - x3

Anyway, I've seen people invoke Ichiban's delusions before... How do you think that would impact his reveal trailer? Is he really getting into Smash, or is it all in his head?
Pretty sure we'll be discussing Octoling soon; "Days" in this thread have just been very long lately.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I don't know a lot about Trails but out of the three major characters (Adol, Rean, Estelle) I think I would prefer Estelle as simply her being a bo staff user would make her stand out and there's a lot of cool things you can do with a staff. And in general from what I've listened to, Trails music is very good.

Noms: Crypto x5

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Thank **** I decided to check this on a whim, SharkLord SharkLord fix the title you butt
So, what IS Trails?

Nominations: Tsubasa Oribe x5
I may not have played Cold Steel but I can tell you that Trails is a longstanding series that generally deals with our heroes trying to be a good part of their societal role which starts more with slice of life stuff before mysteries start to unravel, generally also getting involved with the politics of the locations. As for Estelle, she's the daughter of the best Bracer in the country and she wishes to follow his footsteps alongside her adopted brother Joshua, Bracers are basically a vigilante watch functioning outside of the police and military. As for what Estelle can do, she clearly uses a bo staff so that leaves a lot of unique attacks and animations, but in terms of special moves, I see two possible routes for Sakurai to take, the first of which is Arts, in Trails, Arts are your magic attacks that grant you all kinds of magic, both offensive and defensive, every character can theoretically do every Art as your Arts are determined by Quartz, which functions like FF7's Materia or Golden Sun's Djinn. This leaves Estelle with magic attacks that involve Fire, Water, Wind, Earth, Time, Space and Mirage elements. This means Estelle can use these to either attack in all sorts of ways or cast buffs on herself which is really neat, but I personally think Estelle would be given the Cloud approach and use her Crafts instead, Crafts are special moves seperate from Arts which have their own resource thar build up when a character hits or gets hit, but what makes them special is that every character gets unique Crafts which for Estelle means buffing herself, throwing out a projectile, inflicting Impede which cancels Arts that could translate to sealing a special move, doing a powerful spin attack and stuff like that. As a lot of Crafts are stronger variants of existing Crafts I can also see Estelle being able to use Craft Points she builds up to do EX versions of her specials. Estelle's also a pretty fun character so I can easily see her animations reflecting that like a smug taunt, getting annoyed or being a bit of a dolt

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I bought one of the Trails of Cold Steel games at the very end of the PS3’s life and I unfortunately never got around to playing it. Now that my PS3 is put away in storage, I think I’d have to buy the game again for a current console. What would be the best entry point into the series and are they all available on PS4 or Switch?

As far as Smash specific questions go, what kind of music could Estelle bring?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I bought one of the Trails of Cold Steel games at the very end of the PS3’s life and I unfortunately never got around to playing it. Now that my PS3 is put away in storage, I think I’d have to buy the game again for a current console. What would be the best entry point into the series and are they all available on PS4 or Switch?

The best entry point is the first game, Trails in the Sky, which is also Estelle's first game, it's not available on either of those but the entire trilogy is on Steam and while that may sound concerning, the games were originally PC games and you should have no problem running them as the Sky trilogy came out in 2004, 2006 and 2007. After that is the Crossbell duology which is finally getting an official release next year for PC, PS4 and Switch. After those is the Cold Steel quadrology which is all available on ps4, the Switch versions aren't available worldwide though.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Silver Will is a must, there's a bunch of different versions within the series itself to use and they all slap

Challenger Invited
Sophisticated Fight
The Whereabouts of Light (English version here)
Trails in the Sky
Strepitoso Fight
Fight with Assailant
Looking up at the Sky
Lurking Shadow in the Wilderness
The Enforcers
Fateful Confrontation
Gravestone Struck by Lightning
Outskirts of Evolution
Merciless Saviour
Fighting Right On
Determination of Fight
Beard the Lion in his den
Masquerade of Lies
Castle of Illusions ~Phantasmagoria~
Till the Night of Glory

These are just from the Sky games

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Apologies for the double post but as it's been over 12 hours I feel it should be fine, I forgot to mention what Estelle's final smash would most likely be, something I'm sure people would be at least somewhat curious about. Trails has a mechanic called S Craft, these are big super moves that can be used whenever as long as you have 100 Craft Points, Estelle's strongest one is the following
Personally I really like it and think it'd be fun seeing handled by Sakurai

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Shall I get us started? What is rivals of aether? I get the feeling it’s a smash clone but I could be wrong. Even then all that tells me is at some point someone called it smash killer with a straight face

amageish

Smash Master
75+ noms
Tsubasa Oribe - x120
Velvet Crowe - x110
Octoling - x97
Rintarou Okabe - x95
Brian - x95
Toad - x95
Alm - x90
Axel Stone - x90
Endo Mamoru - x90

Black Mage - x85

50-75 noms
Shovel Knight - x75
Ryu Hayabusa - x75
Filia (Skullgirls) - x70
Ori - x70
Hearthstone Innkeeper - x65
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x65
Goomba/Goombella - x65
Crypto - x60
Heavy - x60
God Eater Rep - x55

26-50 noms
Bubsy - x50
Vectorman - x45
Carmen Sandiego - x45
2B - x40
Jonesy - x32
Wilfre - x30
Wadanohara* - x30
Zero Escape Rep - x30
Jason Frudnick - x30
Sly Cooper - x28
Trauma Center Content - x28

11-25 noms
Chun-Li - x25
Meowth - x25
Dart Monkey (Bloons) - x25
FEH Summoner - x25
Master Hand - x20
Mega Man X - x20
Morrigan - x20
Daitoryo - x20
Ezio - x15
Darkest Dungeon Content - x11

5-10 noms
Gunvolt - x10
Jack (Final Fantasy Origin) - x5
Scizor - x5
Carl Johnson - x5
SMT Content - x5
Frogger - x5
9-volt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Ahri - x5
Spyro the Dragon - x3
Tracer - x3
Chell - x3

Sorry, there's the noms list at the moment... Lots of ties in the top tier!

Anyway, yes, Rival of Aether is a platform fighter which has had its world expand into other IPs - there's a dating sim they made for April Fool's Day, a card game which I have found pretty fun, and I believe there are other projects in the work...

Certainly not an IP I am super intimately familiar with, but I definitely like RoA as a platform fighter and really am impressed by the modding community for it. It'd be cool to see it got content in Smash, given how it is inspired by Smash.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Nominations:
Octoling x3
Lobotomy Corporation/Library of Ruina Content x2

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I never actually played it, but I know it's one of the Smash clones. It does have a character creator, and I've talked to one person working on a character. I mostly helped the user get some images to help create a few costume references.

I might look into it someday. I got a Switch, after all. I do own Brawlhalla now, though.

Top Bottom