• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Exploration Thread - Day 79: Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)

D

Deleted member

Per this; It says a lot that this place even appeared in multiple games at all, what with Ys' episodic nature. Every game Adol and Dogi go to a new place, usually with the Romun Empire following along, sometimes finding Eldeen artifacts lying around. Any place that turns up in the series a second time is definitely iconic to the series.

In regards to the changes made between Ys I and Origin, much of the latter's elements were made up. Ys I's Darm Tower was mostly just an ominous tower. That being said, quite a few key items and bosses came back, to the point that I'd recommend playing Ys I and II before Origin just to get all the references (Plus the fact that it's by far the least graphics-intensive game in the series). Out of the returning stages, it did bring back the Devil's Corridor, Rado's Annex, and mirror maze, plus the section that warps you to a different place until you get the required artifact.

After Darm Tower, I'd go with the Isle of Seiren. It's the location of Ys VIII, and the Castaway Village could give us some nice cameos. Also the fact that it'd fit really well with the game's first overworld theme, which is also one of the best in the series:
The cool thing about references is that they work both ways. They can be either a callback or a call-forward, depending on the viewing order. One order works better than the other but both are fine. I am tempted to get I & II Chronicles on Steam but my laptop has trouble emulating DS games so I’m not exactly sure if it’d be the best performance. I’ll probably just get it next time it goes on sale, and if it doesn’t run well the worst that’ll happen is it’ll stay untouched on my account for however long.

Sunshine Coastline is a banger as usual, but so are most tracks in the series. Speaking of, what music would you like to see? Bonus points for including Trails music since that has a decent shot of showing up if it’s a Terry situation. It’s hard to narrow down, but if we’re talking favorite songs I’d like to see the main theme of Ys VIII & Next Step Toward the Unknown, with Norse Wind from IX for sure. There’s a ton more I’m thinking of but I’ll leave them for later since it’s getting late.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Nothing I can really add that others haven't already, so I think I'll post a Classic Mode route for Adol:

Bump in the Road (Fights characters whose attacks damage themselves)
Round 1: Pichu x7 (horde battle) on Pokemon Stadium
Round 2: Charizard on Prism Tower
Round 3: Chrom and Roy (free-for-all) on Coliseum
Round 4: Ike on Castle Siege
Round 5: Kirby and King Dedede (free-for-all) on Boxing Ring
Round 6: Adol on Darm Tower
Final Round:
Master Hand.png
Crazy Hand.png
on Darm Tower Ω

ZelDan

Smash Master
Ys music, eh? Some of my favorites between Ys 1-7, what little I've played of VIII, and Origins that I'd love to see added with a hypothetical Adol fighter pack would be these:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So as someone unfamiliar with Ys I wanted to ask fans of the series specifically how Adol should be interpreted to set himself apart from the other JRPG characters already in Smash? Aesthetically he sort of looks like a FE character, and it’s hard not to compare him to Roy specifically as another red headed speedy swordsman.
I think the best way to interpret Adol is to use the Party system for him, the party system lets you control 3 characters at once and gthe game wants you to have a balanced team of Slash, Strike and Pierce characters. As Adol cannot be switched out of the party, he's able to use all 3 types. Meaning he'd have 3 movesets, one with a regular sword that's fairly balanced, one with a greatsword that is slower but much stronger and a rapier which is faster but has weaker hitboxes on average due to needing a tipper and less reach due to him primarily stabbing with the rapier. Skills in the Party games are special moves and going from Ys 7, most equippable weapons will give you a different skill. Equippable as in the weapon rather than the weapon type.
I’m pretty certain it would be Darm Tower.
View attachment 314497
There’s lots of different floor types the stage could shift to, with the Devil’s Corridor in the middle and finishing at the summit. iirc it goes something like standard, water, fire, spooky hell, sand, Rado’s annex, spookier hell, and then a mirror area before the summit. At least in Ys Origin. It might be different in Ys I. The Devil’s Corridor is a super memorable area that deals damage over time by playing eerie music, so it’d have to be included in some capacity. Most of the other floor types could be cut out or randomized per tower ascension though.
Darm Tower is indeed very different in Ys 1 as for the most part it's the longest dungeon in the game, though the final part is the mirror section with teleporters that Origin also has, so that floor specifically can work well

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’ve played a bit of Ys 6 but haven’t gotten around to the rest of the series but I’ve always been interested in trying it eventually. One of his designs in the newest game is really awesome looking. Would this function more or less like Sephiroth’s One Winged Angel transformation in that it’s a temporary powered up form or more like Pyra and Mythra as a more traditional transformation?

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
I'm playing Ys l & ll right now and probably play The Oath in Felghana later considering it's the remake of the 3rd game, considering Smash loves old call back I believe that game is a great start to pull a moveset from.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
Ys is another series I really enjoy, so Adol would be cool. So far I've played Oath, Origin, Memories of Celceta, VI, VII, IX, and a part of Seven (I got halfway through and then Trails of Cold Steel IV released on Switch, so I've changed gears to that for now and plan to return to Seven after). I also think a Falcom character's challenger pack would have a good chance of getting the SNK treatment (at least compared to other companies), where it brings in a ton of music tracks and references from across the company's franchises.
I think the best way to interpret Adol is to use the Party system for him, the party system lets you control 3 characters at once and gthe game wants you to have a balanced team of Slash, Strike and Pierce characters. As Adol cannot be switched out of the party, he's able to use all 3 types. Meaning he'd have 3 movesets, one with a regular sword that's fairly balanced, one with a greatsword that is slower but much stronger and a rapier which is faster but has weaker hitboxes on average due to needing a tipper and less reach due to him primarily stabbing with the rapier. Skills in the Party games are special moves and going from Ys 7, most equippable weapons will give you a different skill. Equippable as in the weapon rather than the weapon type.
Combining the three attack types from the modern games and the three elemental swords from Ys VI could be an interesting way to bring in multiple eras of Ys, so to speak. Maybe the fire one could draw from strike skills, the water one could draw from slash skills, and the electric one could draw from pierce skills.

But if they really want to represent Ys VI they should make Dash Jumping a mechanic and not tell anyone about it in the Sakurai Presents...
I’ve played a bit of Ys 6 but haven’t gotten around to the rest of the series but I’ve always been interested in trying it eventually. One of his designs in the newest game is really awesome looking. Would this function more or less like Sephiroth’s One Winged Angel transformation in that it’s a temporary powered up form or more like Pyra and Mythra as a more traditional transformation?
I like Monstrum Adol a lot, but I think he'd probably be an alt instead of a moveset transformation. Rather than a powered-up state or a Pyra/Mythra-style swap, Adol basically gets turned into that for the duration of a game. He does have a disguise he can switch in and out of, but in IX he only ever does any fighting in his Monstrum form.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Ys is another series I really enjoy, so Adol would be cool. So far I've played Oath, Origin, Memories of Celceta, VI, VII, IX, and a part of Seven (I got halfway through and then Trails of Cold Steel IV released on Switch, so I've changed gears to that for now and plan to return to Seven after). I also think a Falcom character's challenger pack would have a good chance of getting the SNK treatment (at least compared to other companies), where it brings in a ton of music tracks and references from across the company's franchises.

Combining the three attack types from the modern games and the three elemental swords from Ys VI could be an interesting way to bring in multiple eras of Ys, so to speak. Maybe the fire one could draw from strike skills, the water one could draw from slash skills, and the electric one could draw from pierce skills.

But if they really want to represent Ys VI they should make Dash Jumping a mechanic and not tell anyone about it in the Sakura Presents...

I like Monstrum Adol a lot, but I think he'd probably be an alt instead of a moveset transformation. Rather than a powered-up state or a Pyra/Mythra-style swap, Adol basically gets turned into that for the duration of a game. He does have a disguise he can switch in and out of, but in IX he only ever does any fighting in his Monstrum form.
Oh so that sounds closer to a Joker situation where he has one look for when he fights (his phantom thief outfit) and a more casual outfit for outside the metaverse. That’s probably better in a honesty since I would want him to look like that all the time if I could.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
The Eshop appears to be down, so I can't tell you exactly what games are avalible on Switch. I know there's a few, and they have the Nintendo quirk of being locked to $59.99, though they go on sale slightly more often than your average 1st party Nintendo game. As for the Playstation, there's a handful of games available.
1620655029000.png

I have no history with the series, so I don't know if these are particularly popular entries but they're there (at $59.99 USD...). Because the series has gone on for so long, older games can probably run on basically anything, so if emulation is your thing than you're probably good.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
The Eshop appears to be down, so I can't tell you exactly what games are avalible on Switch. I know there's a few, and they have the Nintendo quirk of being locked to $59.99, though they go on sale slightly more often than your average 1st party Nintendo game. As for the Playstation, there's a handful of games available.
View attachment 314551
I have no history with the series, so I don't know if these are particularly popular entries but they're there (at $59.99 USD...). Because the series has gone on for so long, older games can probably run on basically anything, so if emulation is your thing than you're probably good.
The Switch has 8, Origins and soon to be 9, though every installment outside of 5 and Ys Strategy is available on Steam

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I really wish these games were multiplayer. I’m always looking for fun co-op games to play with my brother and Ys always seemed like it could fit a multiplayer mode pretty well. I think I heard something about them adding multiplayer to Ys 8 afterwards but I’m not sure if that was only for the PC version. It’s a shame that they seem to be removing multiplayer from games that have historically had it like Dynasty Warriors 9, Persona 5 Strikers, and now Tales. Was multiplayer ever considered for the console releases?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
What exactly are the things you need to do to get extra noms?
Big, multi-paragraph writeups, asking questions related to the character being discussed, submitting moveset ideas, helping new players find an entrypoint into the series. At least, that's how it goes so far.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I don't know much about Adol but I worry he might be a little too similar to the FE characters.
Well, we did discuss that a short while back
Well, it depends. The series has shaken up the formula a fair bit over the course of the series, though it doesn't have many major gimmicks beyond just the fast-paced gameplay. Here's a couple notable mechanics:
  • The Bump System of the original games. It'd basically be like permanent Impact Run, maybe tuned down a tad.
  • Regenerating health. Not as broken as it sounds; It only works if Adol's standing still and hasn't taken damage recently. If anything, it'd be a small easter egg.
  • Weapon switching. In Ys VI, Origin (Via the EX Adol variant) and Ys Seven, Adol can choose between one-handed swords, greatswords, and rapiers. It's possible for Adol to have multiple weapons to switch between, though it's not something he's regularly depicted with
  • The Boost Mode from the Oath in Felghana, Origin, and IX. In the latter two, it basically functions as a stat boost, while in OiF it extends his six-hit combo string into a ten-hit one while keeping the same general duration and basically making him spaz the hell out as you mash the attack button
I think the most consistent thing that could be translated is giving Adol more multi-input normals, like with Meta Knight and Bayonetta. Make him focused on getting in there and landing as many hits as possible, rather than focusing on spacing and/or heavy swings. Bonus points if they take the Down Thrust and make it a multihit move like in the Ark-style games, rather than a single hit like most stall-and-falls.
Long story short, he'd probably have more multi-hit moves and combos in his attacks to mimic the more action-based gameplay of Ys. Bayo-styled forward aerials and all that. I think he'd be closer to Link than Marth, actually.
I nominate Ryza. Put her in the poll.
The poll is closed. We're changing to nominations at the end of the day, in the style of RTC. The poll was just to find a way to start things off, and was never meant to be the main form of submissions.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
So, what preferred design you want to be his Smash appearance? For me I prefer his Ys 4 design just because it looked quite simple and fairly distinct from the RPG character, he has that drip you know. If we get an alt costume for his old appearance I suggest pick his Ys 7 and The Oath of Alghana appearance since it is basically a modernized version and doesn't look really plain.

Other than that I would love the breath of fresh air that is his Ys 9 design, the one with the black hair but idk much about the context of that so I'll pass.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Is there really a mainstay in Adol's party other than Dogi?

(that's 10 extra noms, 15 if you count my recommendation of some games to pull a moveset from)

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Is there really a mainstay in Adol's party other than Dogi?

(that's 10 extra noms, 15 if you count my recommendation of some games to pull a moveset from)
No, though some characters occaisonally reappear, Geis coming to mind, going from a central character of 6 to a party member in 7

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
If YS got an AT, who would it be? I get the impression that it would likely be Dogi, but perhaps it would be a generic enemy? Are there any notable generic enemies?
I personally recommend 1 as the starting point, Bump system's a tad awkward but after a while, the game shows it's aged very well, it also introduces Dogi and makes Origins mucj better
So just go in release order, pretty much?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
No, though some characters occaisonally reappear, Geis coming to mind, going from a central character of 6 to a party member in 7
Yeah, Geis is probably the closest we have to a third recurring character beyond the 1/2/Origin trilogy. Aside from 6 and 7, he gets alluded to is Memories of Celceta, and apparently has a minor cameo in IX.
What would be the best game for a newcomer to the Ys series?
My personal recommendations would be:
  1. Ys I and II, which are always sold together as a bundle. They're a quick, comparatively more casual experience, though you should probably have a guide on hand. They start off the series and give some context to how Adol started his adventure, and give some context to Origins as well.
  2. Ys: The Oath in Felghana. It has some of the best gameplay in the series and doesn't have much continuity to worry about; While there are some ties to the lore, they aren't explicit and need you to connect the dots to figure them out. Be warned that the bosses can get pretty tough, though.
  3. Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana. Easily the biggest game in the series and arguably the best, just being a big island to run around in and explore while still keeping the fast-paced combat. It's my entrypoint as well, so there's admittedly a bit of bias in there

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Sunshine Coastline is a banger as usual, but so are most tracks in the series. Speaking of, what music would you like to see? Bonus points for including Trails music since that has a decent shot of showing up if it’s a Terry situation. It’s hard to narrow down, but if we’re talking favorite songs I’d like to see the main theme of Ys VIII & Next Step Toward the Unknown, with Norse Wind from IX for sure. There’s a ton more I’m thinking of but I’ll leave them for later since it’s getting late.
Here's how Norse Wind would sound like in Smash:

Also:

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
So we've already gone over some unique overarching concepts for Adol's movesets. But I think more than that, what really excites me about characters is just a couple of fun and unique special moves. Is there anything in Adol's arsenal that could make for one of those?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
So we've already gone over some unique overarching concepts for Adol's movesets. But I think more than that, what really excites me about characters is just a couple of fun and unique special moves. Is there anything in Adol's arsenal that could make for one of those?
Adol admittedly has a bunch of basic stuff but one thing that caught my eye is his Pentagram Skill, he dashes back and forth in a pentagram pattern, hitting anything in his way before light emits from the pattern, dealing more damage. I see this working as a super fancy hit grab where Adol zips all around you if he hits you with the initial lunge

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The most notable one would be the Flash Guard, which has appeared in every game from Ys Seven-onwards. It'd basically be a tweaked version of Incineroar's Revenge, but instead of a massive power-up for one attack it's a minor power boost for all his attacks that lasts a couple seconds.

Aside from that, one move that I'm particularly fond of is Sky Drive from Ys VIII (Seen here, 0:50-0:58). Not the most unique move mechanics-wise, but I think it looks pretty cool. There's also Tornado Sword, seen in the video immediately after Sky Drive, which could make for an interesting multi-hit projectile (Tuned down, of course). It helps that it's actually used in the opening animation.

Lastly, there's the Crimson Line from Ys IX, which basically has him warm to designated spots. In Smash, it'd probably be somewhere between Pikachu's Quick Attack and Fox's Fox Illusion.

Pillow

Smash Lord

Darm Tower is indeed very different in Ys 1 as for the most part it's the longest dungeon in the game, though the final part is the mirror section with teleporters that Origin also has, so that floor specifically can work well
I’m going to preface this by saying I hope my tone doesn’t sound overly critical here, as I actually don’t dislike Adol and think he looks pretty cool despite no personal attachment to him.

But to continue off my original question, a party system would make him stand out among FE characters but is this party system something truly unique to YS that doesn’t appear in other games? I feel parties are kind of JRPG thing as a whole so it’d be weird to me if Adol got this mechanic when no one else has. I feel characters should bring with them mechanics unique to their games (DQ is an exception as it’s sort of the grandfather of the entire genre).

Other people brought up combo extending multi-hits which was a good answer to how his gameplay would be unique, but I still feel even with this he’ll struggle to stand out to the Smash layman who mostly looks as surface appearance. I don’t like to use the word gimmick, but I think that anime fantasy swordies need one at this point because of how many are already in the game.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I’m going to preface this by saying I hope my tone doesn’t sound overly critical here, as I actually don’t dislike Adol and think he looks pretty cool despite no personal attachment to him.

But to continue off my original question, a party system would make him stand out among FE characters but is this party system something truly unique to YS that doesn’t appear in other games? I feel parties are kind of JRPG thing as a whole so it’d be weird to me if Adol got this mechanic when no one else has. I feel characters should bring with them mechanics unique to their games (DQ is an exception as it’s sort of the grandfather of the entire genre).

Other people brought up combo extending multi-hits which was a good answer to how his gameplay would be unique, but I still feel even with this he’ll struggle to stand out to the Smash layman who mostly looks as surface appearance. I don’t like to use the word gimmick, but I think that anime fantasy swordies need one at this point because of how many are already in the game.
I don't know about other games but the 3 elements that Adol can swap between are a pretty big part of Ys' party system and as Adol's just this regular guy who's pretty good with a sword who happens to slay deities on the regular, something emphasizing his swordsmanship felt very fitting

SharkLord

Smash Hero

I think it's more about the different weapons, which have popped up a couple times across the series. Weapon switching isn't an Ys-specific thing, but it's still something we could do. Granted, it would be a fair bit of extra work to add it all in.

I think Adol's just forever cursed to be the anime swordboi by virtue of being one of the original swordbois. I think the best we could do is use some of the more recent designs, specifically Memories of Celceta and Ys VIII, which give him a jacket instead of the medieval armor. Also the Ys IX gothic look, but that's kind of an outlier and isn't the best choice for a default skin.

amageish

Smash Master
I suppose this the point where I plug my entire Ys DLC pack concept
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X Ys | Fantendo - Game Ideas & More | Fandom
Let's see... There's an introduction to the series, Adol's moveset, a Classic Mode, Darm Tower as a stage, a decent chunk of Spirits, and 50+ Falcom songs, plus some Miis. Enjoy the big Falcom playlist.
Wow, this is super high-quality and detailed stuff! I like the summary of the franchise formula especially lol. Definitely an inspiring page, both in terms of presenting Adol as a character super well and providing a good template for how to do character outlines... As I sometimes feel like I struggle with those...

Shall we chat about Mii Costumes for a moment then? The selection here is great (if Amber is a little bit funny due to the constant ribbing she gets from the Genshin fandom for not actually being that useful in-game), though I wonder if we'd get Rean too...

Pillow

Smash Lord
I think it's more about the different weapons, which have popped up a couple times across the series. Weapon switching isn't an Ys-specific thing, but it's still something we could do. Granted, it would be a fair bit of extra work to add it all in.

I think Adol's just forever cursed to be the anime swordboi by virtue of being one of the original swordbois. I think the best we could do is use some of the more recent designs, specifically Memories of Celceta and Ys VIII, which give him a jacket instead of the medieval armor. Also the Ys IX gothic look, but that's kind of an outlier and isn't the best choice for a default skin.
Honestly, yeah his newer looks are much sleeker in general. You're right that he'll be forever cursed with that, and there's only so much that can be done to alleviate this particular issue.

If the weapon swap thing is a core mechanic to a series then this is the sort of thing I'd like to see for him yeah. Something more akin to stance change like pyra/mythra instead of Byleth.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Honestly, yeah his newer looks are much sleeker in general. You're right that he'll be forever cursed with that, and there's only so much that can be done to alleviate this particular issue.

If the weapon swap thing is a core mechanic to a series then this is the sort of thing I'd like to see for him yeah. Something more akin to stance change like pyra/mythra instead of Byleth.
Well, it depends. It's only been used directly in the sixth and seventh games, but you can see some influences in the other games. In Oath and Origin, you can switch between different magic items for different spells, and in the post-Seven games you can switch between party members instead of weapons. Though, it should also be noted that Adol is usually depicted with a standard iron/steel sword rather than VI's magic swords.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Well, it depends. It's only been used directly in the sixth and seventh games, but you can see some influences in the other games. In Oath and Origin, you can switch between different magic items for different spells, and in the post-Seven games you can switch between party members instead of weapons. Though, it should also be noted that Adol is usually depicted with a standard iron/steel sword rather than VI's magic swords.
In general as long as mechanics are prevalent in at least one main installment of a game, I think it's fair game. If we look at other fighters as example, even DLC fighters barely include a fraction of the content they could bring. Joker only has one Persona, Kirby only brings a few of his copy abilities, etc.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Ah, that reminds me
Ys IX is being released on the Switch in a couple months. This is by far the most continuity-heavy game in the series, so I highly recommend getting into the series now. It pretty much expects you to know what's been going on in the series up to now.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
I like that it's always a custom when it comes to character with swords in an RPG to asked "how can they be different from FE?" when you realized that FE is a partially grounded military fantasy with every entry in the modern series always spicing up the combat but that only reserved for shill pick when you can only see them fighting one swing at a time (2 if you count counter attack), it's evident when most of their normal attack with the except of or 2 special attack are original. I mean I don't really have to worried about being similar to an FE character when you have a lot to work with but I guess you need something to sold the series.
I suppose this the point where I plug my entire Ys DLC pack concept

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X Ys | Fantendo - Game Ideas & More | Fandom

Let's see... There's an introduction to the series, Adol's moveset, a Classic Mode, Darm Tower as a stage, a decent chunk of Spirits, and 50+ Falcom songs, plus some Miis. Enjoy the big Falcom playlist.
Man, I actually really jealous that you have the time to make these and make them seamlessly well organized, it sometimes turn me off from reading a Smash Bros concept when it is less organized but, you sold me to actually read it until the end for a series I'm not really familiar with.

Last edited:

Yiptap

Smash Lord
So, here’s a question that I dont know if it was answered before: What importance does Ys have and why should it be in Smash? I never heard of this game until now lol.

Top Bottom