• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Exploration Thread - Day 79: Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)

amageish

Smash Master
I put more points toward Chief in my post during this discussion. I hope you didn't forget that.
Thank you so much!!!! I apparently put the Master Chief's latest nom gains into Master Hand by mistake... 😅 He's been given his due and, moreover, is now in the top 7 by exact 1 nom! Every nom counts, folks.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I have little to see on Gordon Freeman. I also saw a bit of playing here and there. Mostly that the Crowbar is a very known weapon, and that it's all in First Person.

I could see the Crowbar at least being a lot of the normal moves, not much different from your typical knife-length weapon. Could be comparable to the length Young link has too.

...Sadly that's all I got. D:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So, aside from Halo and Doom, Half-Life has been another one of the most influential FPS's of all time, not just for its immersive storytelling, but its unique cast of characters and its failure to count to 3.

Gordon Freeman has a lot of tools in his arsenal, which FeliciaFan took the time and energy to build. TL;DR: he doesn't just use the signature Crowbar, but a large variety of weapons such as the Crossbow and the shotgun, but there's also the world-renowned Gravity Gun, which can grab props and rockets and throw them back at enemies. And before you cast doubt on his conclusion, IIRC Gabe Newell said he'd be fine with any of their properties in Smash. Whether that results in having Chell from Portal as a Mii Gunner or a Spirit Event based on Valve properties, this does give a ray of hope.

NOMS:
Saber x15

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Would Gordon come with content from other Valve games? I heard that they might be connected somehow...

Nominations: Laharl x10

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The only Valve universe where there's a definitive connection to Half-Life, as far as I know, is Portal.
Counter-Strike and Left 4 Dead might be connected too, as some of the maps in CSGO are edits of L4D ones and CS 1.6 featured Black Mesa logos in maps and Half-Life scientists as hostages. Team Fortress Classic is in a weird spot, as while the TF2 comics claim it's set in TF2's universe 30 years before 2, the in-game assets are taken from Half-Life including Black Mesa logos and one map being ripped directly from HL.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So, how exactly would the Gravity Gun work? I can see it being a grab but it'd lose a lot of spectacle around it so would something else work?

Also, how the hell do I get controller support for this ****ing series, I got the entire series but when I tried playing it, I quickly realized it was strictly mouse and keyboard which really sucks for my settings as I use my pc as a TV so I don't have a desk.

amageish

Smash Master
Would Gordon come with content from other Valve games? I heard that they might be connected somehow...

They... could maybe? I guess? I don't think it'd be needed by any means, as Half Life is a very rich series for an IP infamous for not having its third mainline installment. They could still toss in some spirits or music tracks and justify it in a SNK-y way, but SNK was also kind of a unique case as Terry's home series has somewhat fallen to the wayside in favour of games with multiple SNK franchises colliding. So, I don't know!

So, how much Alyx context could we expect here?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Thinking about the Mii Costumes, Combine Officers are a given considering their importance. Perhaps an HEV suit as a universal, too?

Eldrake

Smash Lord

The possibility is definitely there. I could see Gordon as an Orange Box themed challenger pack, which would mean it'd include content from Portal and Team Fortress 2.

So, how exactly would the Gravity Gun work? I can see it being a grab but it'd lose a lot of spectacle around it so would something else work?

Also, how the hell do I get controller support for this ****ing series, I got the entire series but when I tried playing it, I quickly realized it was strictly mouse and keyboard which really sucks for my settings as I use my pc as a TV so I don't have a desk.
In the games, the Gravity Gun is a versatile tool that can grab and punt solid objects. That includes grenades, rockets and certain projectiles. I could see it work the same way in Smash, with Gordon able to grab thrown explosives and punt them back.

Also I assumed it already had controller support ever since the Steam Controller, but apparently not. That's probably gonna change as we get closer to the Deck's release though.
Thinking about the Mii Costumes, Combine Officers are a given considering their importance. Perhaps an HEV suit as a universal, too?
The Black Mesa Security Guard outfit also seems like a given. As does a Headcrab hat. And I almost wanna jokingly suggest Black Mesa Scientist mii costumes with HL1-era scientist heads straight outta the original Half-Life.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
So, aside from Halo and Doom, Half-Life has been another one of the most influential FPS's of all time, not just for its immersive storytelling, but its unique cast of characters and its failure to count to 3.

Gordon Freeman has a lot of tools in his arsenal, which FeliciaFan took the time and energy to build. TL;DR: he doesn't just use the signature Crowbar, but a large variety of weapons such as the Crossbow and the shotgun, but there's also the world-renowned Gravity Gun, which can grab props and rockets and throw them back at enemies. And before you cast doubt on his conclusion, IIRC Gabe Newell said he'd be fine with any of their properties in Smash. Whether that results in having Chell from Portal as a Mii Gunner or a Spirit Event based on Valve properties, this does give a ray of hope.

NOMS:
Saber x15
A lot of developers say yes to Smash invitations. If they can't convince Nintendo, they are out of luck.

What would Gordon's recovery be? Heihachi lacking devil gene for recovery is what kept him out. I guess swinging the crowbar upward?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
What would Gordon's recovery be? Heihachi lacking devil gene for recovery is what kept him out. I guess swinging the crowbar upward?
Actually, we have a great candidate for an Up Special:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
A lot of developers say yes to Smash invitations. If they can't convince Nintendo, they are out of luck.

Actually, we have a great candidate for an Up Special:
Long Jump Module is also a viable candidate. When you go to Xen in the original Half-Life, you receive the Long Jump Module for improved mobility. In gameplay terms, it gives you long distance jumps. For Smash purposes, it could be reworked to give you an upward long distance jump if needed. On that topic, the developers of Black Mesa reworked Long Jump Module by giving you three charges for some wild long jumping, and it's really cool. I could easily see it working that way in Smash too.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So here's a tough question:

Without a doubt, the Half-Life series has had a BEAUTIFUL variety of maps to choose from. The Black Mesa Labs, Xen, City 17, the Combine Tower, there's just so much for the Half-Life series stage to potentially be it's not even funny. So which should the stage be?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Without a doubt, the Half-Life series has had a BEAUTIFUL variety of maps to choose from. The Black Mesa Labs, Xen, City 17, the Combine Tower, there's just so much for the Half-Life series stage to potentially be it's not even funny. So which should the stage be?
The void where that one guy talks to you. Can't remember his name. G something?

Eldrake

Smash Lord

I think Black Mesa is probably the most important location in the Half-Life mythos, but City 17 is a fairly close second and is equally iconic.
Personally, I'd pick Black Mesa. Science is a huge part of Half-Life which fits perfectly with the science laboratory theme with Black Mesa, Black Mesa has a lot of variety in its scenery and setpieces compared to City 17, and you can easily put a variety of xen alien figures as background cameos for that "aliens invading earth" theme.
If Gordon were to become a recurring third party fighter however, I could easily see City 17 be added as a second stage later.
The void where that one guy talks to you. Can't remember his name. G something?
G-Man.
I don't think the G-Man Void has a name, or at the very least not to my knowledge.

Paraster

Smash Lord
Noms: Rivals of Aether x10

Compared to Master Chief and Doom Slayer, Gordon is seriously slept on as a potential FPS rep.

Gordon does come very close to being a "boring gun person" like how I view characters like Jonesy or a CoD rep, but his access to alien tech and alien parts makes him more interesting.

I agree on Black Mesa being the stage--though I have to question which part of it.

What about music? Only ideas I can come up with are Nuclear Mission Jam and a remix of Triage At Dawn.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I would say compared to TF2 rep, Gordon is slept on. But, there is a good reason why he isn't brought much. Company relationship. Still, it's almost criminal that he is put in even less spot light than Heavy. That would be like picking Conker before Banjo or Kyo/Iori before Terry.

While TF2 has edge with its cartoon style, I think Gordon has advantage of more moveset potential.

I'm not sure about cycling through all the equipment would work in Smash. Some weapons like crowbar should be standard moveset.

All my nom to Master Chief. If he's lock, then tell me to switch nom.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Long Jump Module is also a viable candidate. When you go to Xen in the original Half-Life, you receive the Long Jump Module for improved mobility. In gameplay terms, it gives you long distance jumps. For Smash purposes, it could be reworked to give you an upward long distance jump if needed. On that topic, the developers of Black Mesa reworked Long Jump Module by giving you three charges for some wild long jumping, and it's really cool. I could easily see it working that way in Smash too.
Additionally, Gordon could push himself back from firing his Gauss Rifle.

Would this pack acknowledge Black Mesa in any way anyway? I guess a stage based on HL1 could be influenced by BM's visuals, but I think Nintendo would stick to licensing stuff from Valve.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Additionally, Gordon could push himself back from firing his Gauss Rifle.

Would this pack acknowledge Black Mesa in any way anyway? I guess a stage based on HL1 could be influenced by BM's visuals, but I think Nintendo would stick to licensing stuff from Valve.
It's unlikely, but it's probably not impossible. I could see Sakurai taking a few seconds to mention Black Mesa in a character showcase.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Noms: Estelle x5

Gordon Freeman would make me pop off like no ones business.

The Music Is something that would be fantastic with Gordon, I even made a dream song list a while back

Something Secret Steers Us
Diabolical Adrenaline Guitar
Vortal Combat
Triage At Dawn
You're Not Supposed to Be Here
Credits Closing Theme
CP Violation
Sector Sweep
Nepal Monastery
Bust
Military Precision
What Kind Of Hospital Is This?
Nuclear Mission Jam
Planet
Guard Down
Klaxon Beat
Anti-Citizen
Still Alive
Want You Gone
Team Fortress 2
Robots!
Chocolate Helicopter
TANK!
Battle 1
Aganhims Obsession

I also had an idea that Gordon's stage could switch between Black Mesa and City 17 in a fashion similar to Minecraft world.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Quick question, is someone able to quickly break down the plot of Half-Life so far for an outsider like me? I can't say I'm too familiar with the franchise.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Quick question, is someone able to quickly break down the plot of Half-Life so far for an outsider like me? I can't say I'm too familiar with the franchise.
Gordon Freeman, A physicist, Was tasked with an important experiment, This experiment lead to a Resonance cascade. This event lead to a bunch of hostile aliens invading the earth, Gordon then goes through the facility he was in, Black Mesa, Taking on the Aliens and the Government that has come to silence them, The game ends with Gordon taking out the source of the Invasion, The Nihilanth. After the Nihilanth's defeat Gordon was approached by a mysterious figure that has been stalking him the whole game, The G-Man, who then locks Gordon up until Half-Life 2.

In Half-life 2, the earth has been taken over by a hostile empire called the combine, Gordon then teams up with the resistance to help defeat the Combine. His main companion is a girl named Alyx Vance who accompanies him for a majority of Half-life 2: Episode 1 and Half-life 2: Episode 2 and even has her own game Half-life: Alyx. The Resistance topple one of the leaders of the Combine and find the rulers, The Advisors, All while the G-Man is still stalking Gordon. and then we don't know how it truly ends because Half-life 3 isn't out.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
You know, I wonder how long it would take for half of the noms list to vanish... Probably about 1-5 months, I guess, as I assume all threads in the Newcomer Speculation category will die at some point after the Final Character reveal.

75+ noms
Laharl - x120
Fulgore - x115
Madeleine - x105
Master Chief - x105
Saber - x100
Sakura Shinguji - x100
Chibi-Robo - x95
Geolyte (Meteos) - x95

Axel Stone - x90
Aloy - x90
Octoling - x89
Black Mage - x85
Velvet Crowe - x80

50-75 noms
Rivals of Aether rep - x75
Shovel Knight - x75
Filia (Skullgirls) - x70
Hearthstone Innkeeper - x65
Heavy - x60
Ichiban - x55
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x55
Estelle Bright - x55

26-50 noms
Rintarou Okabe - x50
Bubsy - x50
Ryu Hayabusa - x50
Vectorman - x45
Endo Mamoru - x45
Klonoa - x40
2B - x40
Wilfre - x30
Wadanohara* - x30
Zero Escape Rep - x30
Ori - x30
Sly Cooper - x28
Trauma Center Content - x27

11-25 noms
Chun-Li - x25
Meowth - x25
Master Hand - x20
Mega Man X - x20
Morrigan - x20
Doomguy - x20
Brian - x15
Alm - x15
Toad - x15

5-10 noms
Crypto - x10
Daitoryo - x10
Gunvolt - x10
Darkest Dungeon Content - x10
Carl Johnson - x5
SMT Content - x5
Frogger - x5
Jonesy - x5
Ezio - x5
9-volt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Spyro the Dragon - x3
Tracer - x3
Chell - x3

Currently, the top 7 is actually a top 8 due to a lot of ties. I assume these will be the noms locked in for the next week, but that's also me assuming nobody else will be appearing and spending noms that change the top 7/8 before the day ends... So, we'll see!

Also, I default to alphabetical order when we have a tie being locked into the schedule and I think Madeline/Master Chief and Saber/Sakura are the first times we've had ties between things that start with the same first letter.

Edit: People have added more nominations, though nothing has changed the locked in order. List is up-to-date as of 11:25PM on the 1st of August.

All my nom to Master Chief. If he's lock, then tell me to switch nom.
Well, Master Chief is currently up to be locked into the schedule, but only because of the noms you put in, so I don't think you want to switch them haha.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So another question here: who would the Spirits of Gordon Freeman's Challenger Pack be, and how would they go?

Would we have a Nihilanth Spirit Battle represented by a giant Mewtwo? Or perhaps Solid Snake representing Dr. Breen? How would this go down?

Eldrake

Smash Lord
So another question here: who would the Spirits of Gordon Freeman's Challenger Pack be, and how would they go?

Would we have a Nihilanth Spirit Battle represented by a giant Mewtwo? Or perhaps Solid Snake representing Dr. Breen? How would this go down?
I can imagine a Gargantua spirit battle represented by Bowser. Stamina battle, and the enemy has high stamina.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
My brother played a bit of Half Life 2 but otherwise, I don’t really know a whole lot about the series. I know it had a few really interesting weapons like the Gravity Gun mentioned earlier. I can see that working well for a tether grab like Samus.

My question is what would a classic mode look like if Gordon made it in?

x10 Velvet Crowe

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
My question is what would a classic mode look like if Gordon made it in?
I made one a while ago

Gordon Freeman: Path of Borealis (Battles representing Enemies/Scenes from the Half-Life Series)

Round 1: :ultdiddy::ultdiddy::ultdiddy:on Gordon's Stage (Military Precision) [Headcrab's on Black Mesa]

Round 2: :ultrobin::ultincineroar: on Shadow Moses Island (Vortal Combat) [Vortigaunts and Alien Grunts on Black Mesa]

Round 3: :ultjigglypuff::ultjigglypuff::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo: on Brinstar Depths (Klaxon Beat) [Alien Controllers and the Nihilanth on Xen]

Round 4: :ultsnake::ultsnake::ultsnake: on Saffron City (CP Violation) [Gordon being chased by Combine]

Round 5: :ultbrawler: x10 with the Inkling Hat on Fourside Battlefield (Nepal Monastery) [Ravenholm]

Round 6: :ultridley::ultrob: :ultdarksamus::ultsamus: on Garden Of Hope (Something Secret Steers Us) [The final Battle of Episode 2]

Final Round: Marx (You're Not Supposed to Be Here) [Marx is the closest thing to the Nihilanth and/or an Advisor.]

Credits: Credits Closing Theme
Picture: Gordon fighting off many tiny Diddy Kongs

Last edited:

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
10 noms to Black Mage please!

Two different questions for the thread today. I don't have anything to add myself since sadly I've never touched Half-Life. (Portal is my big Valve series from my childhood and Chell is my most wanted Valve fighter heh) Still, I do recognize how important the franchise is and how cool Gordon could be in Smash. The first question is what would Gordon's alternate costumes be? The orange suit is really iconic, and it's almost hard to imagine him in another color. Does he ever appear in his scientist labcoat?

Also, the G-Man is super iconic to the series, so he'd have to be a Spirit battle I'm sure. Maybe even the legendary Spirit. But what would that look like? afaik, he doesn't do much action onscreen, so how would it be represented in Spirit form?

Eldrake

Smash Lord
10 noms to Black Mage please!

Two different questions for the thread today. I don't have anything to add myself since sadly I've never touched Half-Life. (Portal is my big Valve series from my childhood and Chell is my most wanted Valve fighter heh) Still, I do recognize how important the franchise is and how cool Gordon could be in Smash. The first question is what would Gordon's alternate costumes be? The orange suit is really iconic, and it's almost hard to imagine him in another color. Does he ever appear in his scientist labcoat?

Also, the G-Man is super iconic to the series, so he'd have to be a Spirit battle I'm sure. Maybe even the legendary Spirit. But what would that look like? afaik, he doesn't do much action onscreen, so how would it be represented in Spirit form?
Gordon actually does as a matter of fact show up in the scientist labcoat. It happens in the expansion Blue Shift when Barney (the player character of Blue Shift) gets off the train in the beginning of the game. Gordon has a fully modelled cameo there. On the topic of alternate costumes, a little known fact is that Gordon used to have a ponytail in Half-Life that he apparently cut in-between Half-Life 1 and Half-Life 2 (What a sellout). If Gordon had two different costumes representing his HEV suit in the original and Half-Life 2 respectively, I'd fully expect his OG costume to have the ponytail.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Gordon actually does as a matter of fact show up in the scientist labcoat. It happens in the expansion Blue Shift when Barney (the player character of Blue Shift) gets off the train in the beginning of the game. Gordon has a fully modelled cameo there. On the topic of alternate costumes, a little known fact is that Gordon used to have a ponytail in Half-Life that he apparently cut in-between Half-Life 1 and Half-Life 2 (What a sellout). If Gordon had two different costumes representing his HEV suit in the original and Half-Life 2 respectively, I'd fully expect his OG costume to have the ponytail.
I respect a man who can rock a ponytail

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Sorry about the holdup, I have been in a car ride for the past five-ish hours and have not been able to set up the next week (Not helped by my slowly decaying sleep schedule). Anyways, here's the schedule for the rest of the week:

Day 53 - Laharl
Day 54 - Fulgore
Day 55 - Madeleine
Day 56 - Master Chief
Day 57 - Saber
Day 58 - Sakura Shinguji
Day 59 - Chibi-Robo
Day 60 - Geolyte

Tagging ahemtoday ahemtoday for the noms list

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Sorry about the holdup, I have been in a car ride for the past five-ish hours and have not been able to set up the next week (Not helped by my slowly decaying sleep schedule).
Ah, sorry about that. I was in a similar situation near the end of May, when my mom and I were reaching our last hotel stop before we got to our apartment in New Orleans. We were stuck in rainy traffic for about two hours before we got back on the road. and the hotel experience was just as crappy but I'm not going into that.

Top Bottom