• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Exploration Thread - Day 79: Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Oh yeah, Hat Kid is also making a guest appearance in another game called Tunche. You may remember it from an indie showcase a while back
Her moveset's basically the mindset of "Take everything from the original game and put it into the game's control scheme." There's stuff like the dive and laser badge for the combo finishers, the Sprint Hat for the dodge, and the Ice Hat for the aerial falling attack. I also feel like we could translate a couple of the movements in Tunche into a Smahs moveset, based on what we've seen from the demo.

But yeah, more than anything I thought it was just something cool to mention since it was relevant

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Oh yeah, Hat Kid is also making a guest appearance in another game called Tunche. You may remember it from an indie showcase a while back
Her moveset's basically the mindset of "Take everything from the original game and put it into the game's control scheme." There's stuff like the dive and laser badge for the combo finishers, the Sprint Hat for the dodge, and the Ice Hat for the aerial falling attack. I also feel like we could translate a couple of the movements in Tunche into a Smahs moveset, based on what we've seen from the demo.

But yeah, more than anything I thought it was just something cool to mention since it was relevant
isn’t that out?

ZelDan

Smash Master
almost forgot to enact capitalism!

AHIT is on all modern consoles and gaming platforms.
Do all platforms have the DLC or will they ever get it? I know it was exclusive to PC at first. Don't know if it still is.

I bought the game on the Xbox One so I never got to check out the DLC at the time.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Nominations:
Octoling x10
Ori x5

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright, so I know practically nothing about Atelier, but something I have managed to pick up on is that apparently it's a series with different casts depending on the installment - like FF and many others. Taking that into consideration, while this might be straying too far from the topic of, well, Ryza, would there happen to be any valid picks from the series other than her?

Noms: Axel Stone x5

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I've never played an Atelier game in my life, and my first exposure to the franchise was with Atelier Ryza, though from what I've seen it has some Tales vibes to me. I'm sure there are people that would say Ryza has...ahem...a leg up over some other characters when thinking of a potential Koei Tecmo rep, though Ryu Hayabusa and Lu Bu still are worthy contenders. This makes me wonder if they would just stick with Ryza or pull from earlier entries like Escha & Logy or something when looking for a Ryza challenger pack.

amageish

Smash Master
Okay, getting this out of the way: what the heck is an Atellier?
It's a workhouse where artisans practice their craft and often take on apprentices!

Oh, you mean in the game franchise, don't you? They're a series of RPGs with life simulation elements and a focus on alchemy. The franchise in divided into various subseries (mostly, if not all, trilogies?), which all tend to have a unique art style, tone, and unique mechanics that set them apart from the other entries (in addition to being narratively distinct).

On that note, I've only played the Mysterious Series! Can someone more familiar with the overall IP explain what Ryza brings to the table that Sophie and co don't? Ideally your answer won't include the word "thighs"?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Alright, so I know practically nothing about Atelier, but something I have managed to pick up on is that apparently it's a series with different casts depending on the installment - like FF and many others. Taking that into consideration, while this might be straying too far from the topic of, well, Ryza, would there happen to be any valid picks from the series other than her?

Noms: Axel Stone x5
Admittedly I've only played the first Ryza game, but from what I can gather:
  • Marie and Ellie were the respective stars of the first two games, which did decently well and codified the whole alchemy thing
  • Meruru's game was the highest-rated and best-selling Atelier game in a long while upon release, and covers the Arland trilogy (Later tetralogy, as of Atelier Lulua)
  • Escha's game beat out even Atelier Meruru, though apparently it's more divisive in the fandom itself and Atelier Ayesha is better-recieved out of the Dusk trilogy
That said, Atelier Ryza blew all the previous games out of the water in terms of sales and caused a major influx of newcomers like with Persona 5 and the Persona series, so I'd assume Ryza would be the main rep. I think the overall item lists and weaponry are pretty similar throughout the series, so a Hero situation doesn't seem like it's out of the question, but I'm not sure.
It's a workhouse where artisans practice their craft and often take on apprentices!

Oh, you mean in the game franchise, don't you? They're a series of RPGs with life simulation elements and a focus on alchemy. The franchise in divided into various subseries (mostly, if not all, trilogies?), which all tend to have a unique art style, tone, and unique mechanics that set them apart from the other entries (in addition to being narratively distinct).

On that note, I've only played the Mysterious Series! Can someone more familiar with the overall IP explain what Ryza brings to the table that Sophie and co don't? Ideally your answer won't include the word "thighs"?
thighs
1627581716030.png

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Honestly, I could see the Alchemy mechanics being rather similar to Steve's Crafting Table and allowing Ryza the ability to craft items for herself to use to her advantage in battle. It could add to a fun playstyle in addition to however else Ryza would play.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m a big JRPG fan as well as a Koei-Tecmo fan so you’d think I would have played an Atelier game by now but you’d be wrong. I know basically nothing about the games other than some of the stuff that isn’t for “good boys and girls”. That’s not really my personal thing but I have nothing against anyone that loves these games.

I’ll start off with something simple. What are some songs you’d like to see get in? I imagine there are tons of great options since Koei never disappoints in that department. JRPGs tend to have great soundtracks in general.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Would it be safe to assume some craftable items Ryza could make includes explosives and potions that buff or debuff?
Explosives, yes. There's an entire category dedicated to them, and it's also the first alchemical item you see (Re: A stick of dynamite used by the mentor character to nuke the little fish-weasel that's apparently too strong for your party to fight at first). I don't think there's much stuff explicitly called a potion, but there's still some items that are used primarily/solely for team buffs and enemy debuffs that you can make.

amageish

Smash Master
What does "alchemy" mean in the context of Atelier? Also, is there any good music?
Imagine JRPG combat, but it's balanced with a heavy focus on items that do attacks or buf/debuff people. Then there's also a minigame where you turn raw materials into items via some sort of magic. That's the alchemy!

I am not qualified to discuss music, as the franchise is big and my exposure to it is small (plus I think they switch musical style for every sub-series too), but Sophie had this very sort of bouncy/excited/energetic score that I liked.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
At the risk of taking topic a bit too far off of Smash itself... Why DID Atelier Ryza explode the series in popularity so much? What did it do? I'd kinda heard inklings of the series before Ryza's game, I knew it was a pretty anime RPG that had different subseries based around different prtoagonists, but it was after that when I actually started to see lots of stuff like fanart and reviews and just YouTube videos about the series. What was it about Atelier Ryza that put the series into the spotlight, and not one of the previous games?

amageish

Smash Master
At the risk of taking topic a bit too far off of Smash itself... Why DID Atelier Ryza explode the series in popularity so much? What did it do? I'd kinda heard inklings of the series before Ryza's game, I knew it was a pretty anime RPG that had different subseries based around different prtoagonists, but it was after that when I actually started to see lots of stuff like fanart and reviews and just YouTube videos about the series. What was it about Atelier Ryza that put the series into the spotlight, and not one of the previous games?
Okay, again, I am not an expert, but I'll try my best to answer this. I think it boils down to three big things:

1) Combat System Changed: People like the new combat system more, I guess.

2) Good Marketing: Kind of self-explanatory.

3) Decrease in Focus on Time Management Mechanics: A lot of this franchise has time management mechanics, where you can find yourself permanently sealed off from content or certain endings if you aren't optimizing your time properly (think the calendar systems of Story of Seasons or Persona for reference). That's gone now.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Okay, again, I am not an expert, but I'll try my best to answer this. I think it boils down to three big things:

1) Combat System Changed: People like the new combat system more, I guess.

2) Good Marketing: Kind of self-explanatory.

3) Decrease in Focus on Time Management Mechanics: A lot of this franchise has time management mechanics, where you can find yourself permanently sealed off from content or certain endings if you aren't optimizing your time properly (think the calendar systems of Story of Seasons or Persona for reference). That's gone now.
Huh interesting. And that does make sense, people do like to hear that they can play everything in one go. (I mean look at the surprising amount of people who screw with their clock for Animal Crossing) I do wonder why this one got the marketing boost though. I'd say it could be the Switch release but a quick check tells me Ryza was actually the second game in the series to get a Switch release. Guess it just got lucky with good opportunity.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Add
Huh interesting. And that does make sense, people do like to hear that they can play everything in one go. (I mean look at the surprising amount of people who screw with their clock for Animal Crossing) I do wonder why this one got the marketing boost though. I'd say it could be the Switch release but a quick check tells me Ryza was actually the second game in the series to get a Switch release. Guess it just got lucky with good opportunity.
There is another reason: Ryza herself. Thicc thigh is really what drew newcomers to this series. I've seen many people claiming that they bought the first game due to her. I can confidently say she has been the main draw. ~~I'm guilty of this~~

As for her moveset, put her cauldron in the stage like Steve's box. She can gather materials from surrounding or by hitting enemies to make it more Smash like. She can craft certain items through the cauldron. While weapons and equipment can be crafted via alchemy, it's better to relegate them to individual moveset.

All my nom to Master Chief

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
It's a mix of luck, more platforms, more money, plus what Lionfranky said. I think this is the first game that has tapped into the Anime JRPG fandom instead of the Life Simulation fandom...

Tangent: Is there a term that distinguishes "Life Simulation" in the Japanese tradition (i.e., Story of Seasons, Animal Crossing, Rune Factory, etc.) and "Life Simulation" in the English tradition (i.e., the Sims, Tycoon games, etc.)? As it feels weird to call Atelier a life sim, but that definitely is where it (at least used to) draw a lot of its inspiration from... Calendar systems, events with different villagers, worldbuilding focuses on making the towns feel populated and alive, etc.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Noms: Rivals of Aether x15

What does "alchemy" mean in the context of Atelier? Also, is there any good music?
Alchemy is more or less treated as a scientific process of putting things into a pot and creating more things, which often takes multiple hours to perform as you loose track of time just crafting everything.

In regards to the music, I haven't dug too deeply into it beyond Ryza but there's a couple tracks I do like

I dunno what the general theme of the OST is, but the past games apparently have more electric guitars than Ryza's game.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Alchemy is more or less treated as a scientific process of putting things into a pot and creating more things, which often takes multiple hours to perform as you loose track of time just crafting everything.

In regards to the music, I haven't dug too deeply into it beyond Ryza but there's a couple tracks I do like

I dunno what the general theme of the OST is, but the past games apparently have more electric guitars than Ryza's game.
FUN FACT.gif

The artist for those three games, Hidari, did the artwork and character designs for Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia?

I just felt like bringing it up since I'm nominating Alm.

amageish

Smash Master
Oooh, I've got a new recipe for us to synthesize! It does have a lot of ingredients though...

75+ noms
Laharl - x110
Fulgore - x105
Madeleine - x100
Sakura Shinguji - x95
Geolyte (Meteos) - x95
Chibi-Robo - x95
Master Chief - x90

Octoling - x89
Saber - x85
Velvet Crowe - x80
Axel Stone - x80

50-75 noms
Black Mage - x75
Shovel Knight - x75
Aloy - x70
Filia (Skullgirls) - x70
Hearthstone Innkeeper - x65
Rivals of Aether rep - x65
Heavy - x60
Ichiban - x55
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x55

26-50 noms
Rintarou Okabe - x50
Bubsy - x50
Estelle Bright - x50
Ryu Hayabusa - x50
Vectorman - x45
Endo Mamoru - x45
Klonoa - x40
2B - x40
Wilfre - x30
Wadanohara* - x30
Zero Escape Rep - x30
Ori - x30
Sly Cooper - x28
Trauma Center Content - x27

11-25 noms
Chun-Li - x25
Meowth - x25
Master Hand - x20
Mega Man X - x20
Morrigan - x20
Doomguy - x20
Brian - x15
Alm - x15
Toad - x15

5-10 noms
Crypto - x10
Daitoryo - x10
Gunvolt - x10
Darkest Dungeon Content - x10
Carl Johnson - x5
SMT Content - x5
Frogger - x5
Jonesy - x5
Ezio - x5
9-volt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Spyro the Dragon - x3
Tracer - x3
Chell - x3

Last edited:

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Tangent: Is there a term that distinguishes "Life Simulation" in the Japanese tradition (i.e., Story of Seasons, Animal Crossing, Rune Factory, etc.) and "Life Simulation" in the English tradition (i.e., the Sims, Tycoon games, etc.)? As it feels weird to call Atelier a life sim, but that definitely is where it (at least used to) draw a lot of its inspiration from... Calendar systems, events with different villagers, worldbuilding focuses on making the towns feel populated and alive, etc.
I'd call those the same genre, but I guess the latter group like The Sims leans more on real-time strategy aspects

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Oooh, I've got a new recipe for us to synthesize! It does have a lot of ingredients though...

75+ noms
Laharl - x110
Fulgore - x105
Madeleine - x100
Sakura Shinguji - x95
Geolyte (Meteos) - x95
Chibi-Robo - x95
Octoling - x89

Saber - x85
Velvet Crowe - x80
Axel Stone - x80

50-75 noms
Black Mage - x75
Shovel Knight - x75
Aloy - x70
Filia (Skullgirls) - x70
Master Chief - x65
Hearthstone Innkeeper - x65
Rivals of Aether rep - x65
Heavy - x60
Ichiban - x55
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x55

26-50 noms
Rintarou Okabe - x50
Bubsy - x50
Estelle Bright - x50
Ryu Hayabusa - x50
Vectorman - x45
Endo Mamoru - x45
Klonoa - x40
2B - x40
Wilfre - x30
Wadanohara* - x30
Zero Escape Rep - x30
Ori - x30
Sly Cooper - x28
Trauma Center Content - x27

11-25 noms
Chun-Li - x25
Meowth - x25
Master Hand - x20
Mega Man X - x20
Morrigan - x20
Doomguy - x20
Brian - x15
Alm - x15
Toad - x15

5-10 noms
Crypto - x10
Daitoryo - x10
Gunvolt - x10
Darkest Dungeon Content - x10
Carl Johnson - x5
SMT Content - x5
Frogger - x5
Jonesy - x5
Ezio - x5
9-volt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Spyro the Dragon - x3
Tracer - x3
Chell - x3
I put more points toward Chief in my post during this discussion. I hope you didn't forget that.

Top Bottom