• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Exploration Thread - Day 79: Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)

Technomage

Smash Champion
I'm not the best at HandUnit dialogue, but here goes...
  • "Welcome to the Freddy Fazbear Virtual Experience! Please remember that Fazbear Entertainment holds no responsibility for any injury or loss of stocks." (at the start of a match)
  • "It seems like one of our animatronics has found you. In the event that it appears hostile, administer a controlled shock if possible. Otherwise, get out of the way." (when an animatronic appears)
  • "It looks like the animatronic has left the area. Great! Please proceed to the next room." (when the animatronic leaves / the stage transitions)
Not a specific quote, you know what would be great (and also super unrealistic)? HandUnit flatout replacing the regular announcer.
LOL That'd be funny!

Also, another cool/funny Easter egg could be HandUnit saying something in the Angsty Teen voice.

Paraster

Smash Lord
I like the idea of a FNaF stage, no matter where or when it is, having the fighters be miniaturized to make an office desk the main platform--it'd be a fun and practical way to turn a cramped office into a stage and the animatronics being massive relative to them would make them more imposing.

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
To be honest, I can't really see Freddy happening. I know Smash has fighters with some dark stuff in their games, but Freddy's entire deal is it's haunted by a child murdered by a serial killer, and now murders other people seeking revenge. Just seems too dark, at least with the age rating they seem to be aiming for.

Noms: Scorpion xAll... What?

Sidenote, I see Maxwell listed twice in the nominations list. Is this a mistake, or two separate characters?

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I'll admit, I'm not the BIGGEST fan of FNAF, but I've always been... fascinated by it. For one, the events that lead to its creation are weirdly inspiring: Scott Cawthon was considering leaving the game industry due to poor reviews on his games, but then made a game where the primary criticism (the characters looking like "creepy animatronics") was the main point. That game pretty much exploded in a way nobody expected, and even lead to a boom in indie horror games. Now obviously, the series has had its ups and downs, but it has managed to maintain a diehard fanbase, and even expand into other media like books and an upcoming movie. Heck, Scott Cawthon has even started an initiative that allows fangames to get released on official platforms, something that (unless you're a Touhou fan) is pratically unheard of. You gotta give credit where credit is due here.

Plus, for what it's worth, I found this from after Steve was announced...

EjRPrPlXsAogoeM.jpeg.jpg

Nominations: Laharl xMax

Technomage

Smash Champion
Heck, Scott Cawthon has even started an initiative that allows fangames to get released on official platforms, something that (unless you're a Touhou fan) is pratically unheard of. You gotta give credit where credit is due here.
Yeah, I have stated a couple of times that FNAF and Touhou share quite a bunch of similarities. Besides the funding for fangames, they also:

Are indies
Made by one guy
Have a lot of fangames
Would bring representation to currently unrepped genres

I even had an idea of an E3 dual reveal consisting of Freddy and Reimu.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Things are a bit slow, so I'll ask a question: do you think any content from The Fazbear Fanverse Initiative would come with Freddy in Smash? As far as I'm aware, Scott has permission to use Fanverse content in other areas as part of the deals (i.e. the possibility of Fanverse characters in FNAF AR), though I'd assume the original creators would have to be involved somehow.

For reference, as of the time of this post, The Fazbear Fanverse Initiative consists of:

*Five Nights at Candy's (including the upcoming fourth game)
*The Joy of Creation Reborn (remakes of the The Joy of Creation games)
*Popgoes Evergreen (a reboot of the Popgoes series)
*One Night at Flumpty's (including the upcoming third game)
*Five Nights at Freddy's Plus (an unofficially official remake of the original FNAF)

Also worth noting is that another fangame, CHASE: Animatronics, has been pitched to Scott, though I don't think its been confirmed to have been accepted or not.

Yiptap

Smash Lord
Freddy Fazbear would be a pretty neat indie pick. I've never played FNAF, but I have seen some of my friends play it. And after research, I've come up with a gameplay pitch: an AT concept.

FNAF AT: Purple Guy/William Afton

The AT would spawn as William Afton's pixel form (any one could work). The Purple Guy would then run (so fast that it looks like he teleports!) to each fighter, including the one that summoned him, and stabs them with an overly simplified and pixelated knife (good boys and girls). After being stabbed by the Afton, the fighter would then fall to the floor akin to Ridley. It would always be a critical hit and proceed over 30% damage. After every opponent has become one of Afton's victims, he disappears.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Things are a bit slow, so I'll ask a question: do you think any content from The Fazbear Fanverse Initiative would come with Freddy in Smash? As far as I'm aware, Scott has permission to use Fanverse content in other areas as part of the deals (i.e. the possibility of Fanverse characters in FNAF AR), though I'd assume the original creators would have to be involved somehow.

For reference, as of the time of this post, The Fazbear Fanverse Initiative consists of:

*Five Nights at Freddy's Plus (an unofficially official remake of the original FNAF)

Also worth noting is that another fangame, CHASE: Animatronics, has been pitched to Scott, though I don't think its been confirmed to have been accepted or not.
I think it depends on what fan content is being implemented into future games, whether it's Candy and Popgoes as FNAF AR characters or Flumpty as some bonus animatronic for Security Breach.

Though I bet if Scott was really big-brained he could put some of these Fanverse characters in Smash as Spirits. Imagine a 30-second Spirit Battle of Flumpty against Yoshi. That would be Metal Slime but worse lol.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

I'm not too familiar with the series and the fanworks, but I suppose that depends on if Nintendo's willing to go the extra mile. On one hand, Nintendo might find it easier to just stick with one owner, but on the other had we go a six-minute song from a movie so I can't rule that out just yet.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord

I feel this is the same case as Touhou but for Touhou they uses a pre-established character rather than making a new one or an alternate versions, both depection fanwork is non canon mind you but someone like Candy is entirely their own separate character from a game inspired by FNAF.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master

That would be super cool, though I don't know if it'd be likely just because of there already being so many FNAF characters to have as spirits and stage cameos. It's, uh, a very multifaceted IP...

What would people do for music? And can we include Freddy in Space 2 music, as that score unironically slaps...

Noms: Jill Stingray x 20

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I can’t really say I know much of anything about Five Nights at Freddy’s other than that it’s a horror game with a lot of jump scares. What do you guys envision Freddy to play like if he makes it in? I’m curious how his particular brand of horror would translate to a playable fighter.

x20 Sarah Kerrigan
Pressure is a major thing Freddie would focus on considering how the entire gameplay loop is the player needing to check as much as possible with the resources they have, so we can translate resources as defence. Another idea is a character who can set up, as that give the opponent more to deal with, meaning you can punish them for dealing with the set up wrong.

amageish

Smash Master
I know most people haven't made posts yet, but for the sake of rough consistency, here's a noms list. I may do a second one before the day ends depending on when it does end.

50+ noms
Maxwell - x110
Chosen Undead - x100
Imperial (Etrian Odyssey) - x100
Gran/Djeeta - x85
Sarah Kerrigan - x80
Amaterasu - x75
Filia (Skullgirls) - x60

26-50 noms
Estelle Bright - x45
Endo Mamoru - x45
Frisk - x44
2B - x40
Saber - x40
Elma - x38

11-25 noms
Octoling - x25
Hearthstone Innkeeper - x25
Jill Stingray - x25
Black Mage - x20
Master Hand - x20
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x20
Laharl - x20
Mega Man X - x15
Shovel Knight - x15
Astral Chain rep - x15
Trauma Center Content - x12

5-10 noms
Daitoryo - x10
Saber - x10
Ryza - x20
Bubsy - x10
Bill & Lance - x10
Scorpion - x8
Chibi-Robo - x5
9-volt - x5
Gunvolt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Spyro the Dragon - x3
Tracer - x3
Sly Cooper - x3
Chell - x3
Chun-Li - x1
Shantae - x1

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
That would be super cool, though I don't know if it'd be likely just because of there already being so many FNAF characters to have as spirits and stage cameos. It's, uh, a very multifaceted IP...

What would people do for music? And can we include Freddy in Space 2 music, as that score unironically slaps...

Noms: Jill Stingray x 20
I'm sure they'd include any music they can, given how generous Scott seems to be about these kinds of things.
I know most people haven't made posts yet, but for the sake of rough consistency, here's a noms list. I may do a second one before the day ends depending on when it does end.

50+ noms
Maxwell - x110
Chosen Undead - x100
Gran/Djeeta - x85
Sarah Kerrigan - x80
Amaterasu - x75
Filia (Skullgirls) - x60

26-50 noms
Estelle Bright - x45
Endo Mamoru - x45
Frisk - x44
2B - x40
Saber - x40
Elma - x38

11-25 noms
Octoling - x25
Jill Stingray - x25
Black Mage - x20
Master Hand - x20
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x20
Laharl - x20
Mega Man X - x15
Shovel Knight - x15
Astral Chain rep - x15

5-10 noms
Daitoryo - x10
Saber - x10
Ryza - x10
Bubsy - x10
Ryza - x10
Bill & Lance - x10
Scorpion - x8
Chibi-Robo - x5
9-volt - x5
Gunvolt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Spyro the Dragon - x3
Tracer - x3
Sly Cooper - x3
Chell - x3
Chun-Li - x1
Shantae - x1
You have Ryza listed twice.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
If Freddy got in Smash, it'd be pretty disappointing if they wimped out on the jumpscares, specifically when it comes to victory screens and the trailer. If you're too corwardly to incorporate even jumpscares, you shouldn't have a horror rep at all.

I'm mostly saying this because I watched a Freddy moveset video where they opened with a "there won't be jumpscares" disclaimer and went on about how their version of Freddy's jumpscare victory screen would have a "warning period".

Technomage

Smash Champion
I'd love to have this remix of Broken Windshields as one of the songs:

And maybe a medley involving the Michael Afton minigame theme from Sister Location (whether it's in its original form or a remixed form):

50+ noms
Maxwell - x110
Chosen Undead - x100
Gran/Djeeta - x85
Sarah Kerrigan - x80
Amaterasu - x75
Filia (Skullgirls) - x60

26-50 noms
Estelle Bright - x45
Endo Mamoru - x45
Frisk - x44
2B - x40
Saber - x40
Elma - x38

11-25 noms
Octoling - x25
Jill Stingray - x25
Black Mage - x20
Master Hand - x20
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x20
Laharl - x20
Mega Man X - x15
Shovel Knight - x15
Astral Chain rep - x15

5-10 noms
Daitoryo - x10
Saber - x10
Ryza - x10
Bubsy - x10
Ryza - x10
Bill & Lance - x10
Scorpion - x8
Chibi-Robo - x5
9-volt - x5
Gunvolt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Spyro the Dragon - x3
Tracer - x3
Sly Cooper - x3
Chell - x3
Chun-Li - x1
Shantae - x1
I guess that's okay, though can we get an extension to Freddy's day?

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
We'll be wrapping up Freddy's day soon, but before we go, there's an idea I had that may or may not work out

How much stretching would be needed to have some of the other animatronics as alts? Are they close enough in terms of build and abilities, or are there some unique things that would prevent a Hero/Steve situation from happening?

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
We'll be wrapping up Freddy's day soon, but before we go, there's an idea I had that may or may not work out

How much stretching would be needed to have some of the other animatronics as alts? Are they close enough in terms of build and abilities, or are there some unique things that would prevent a Hero/Steve situation from happening?
I think it could be pulled off with the original 4 animatronics but not anything after, but I don't know enough about FNAF to say.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Just asking, how many noms did I have?
You have 10 to use.

I think you can by Smash standards. You'd have to remove some of the unique abilities of other characters to make their hands empty, but I don't think Bonnie losing a guitar is beyond the realm of possibility.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Putting all noms toward Amaterasu.

So, uh, how is Freddy supposed to recover? Like, a staticky teleport, maybe? That's the only thing I can think of.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Putting all noms toward Amaterasu.

So, uh, how is Freddy supposed to recover? Like, a staticky teleport, maybe? That's the only thing I can think of.
Yeah, I think the general agreement is that he'd have a static warp to simulate the changing cameras. That's what all the concepts I've seen do

Technomage

Smash Champion
How many noms did I get, now?

I think it could be pulled off with the original 4 animatronics but not anything after, but I don't know enough about FNAF to say.
Maybe Bonnie and Chica, but not for Foxy, since his body frame is leaner than the other three (plus, he has a hook hand, which could interfere with animations where a hand moves).

Last edited:

FazDude

Smash Master
Things are a bit slow, so I'll ask a question: do you think any content from The Fazbear Fanverse Initiative would come with Freddy in Smash?
Probably not, to be honest. I already entertained the idea of a Fanverse Mii costume, but it all really depends if Nintendo wants to go the extra mile or if they just want to stick to the FNaF universe itself. Plus, they'd have to get the rights from the fangame devs themselves.

If Freddy got in Smash, it'd be pretty disappointing if they wimped out on the jumpscares, specifically when it comes to victory screens and the trailer. If you're too corwardly to incorporate even jumpscares, you shouldn't have a horror rep at all.
Agreed... to an extent. We already have a jumpscare-like victory animation for Piranha Plant (with it initally being off-screen and then dropping down from above), and I think that'd work well enough for Freddy. However, I'm not sure how you'd incorporate a jumpscare in a victory animation without a warning period; If it happened right off the bat, whatever jumpscare scream you use will probably be mixed with the announcer declaring Freddy's victory. Maybe it could be a situation like Joker where the announcer is quiet, though.

Here's a (fairly unrealistic) compromise between the two ideas; All of Freddy's victory screens open in a black void, similarly to Sephiroth and his fire. After a second, Freddy leaves the shadows to do his victory pose, one of which could be a jumpscare. I think that mixes up the suspense of whether or not you'll get jumpscared and the warning period.

(While we're talking about Freddy's victory poses, I'd like to propose a victory theme: An excerpt of the unused "Showtime" song from Help Wanted. We hear it at the end of Security Breach's first trailer, so it's not farfetched to assume the song will make a reappearance in one way or another in that game.)

How much stretching would be needed to have some of the other animatronics as alts?
To be honest, the only animatronic who isn't another Freddy that would work is Bonnie (the two share very similar models in the first game). That said, I don't think any of the other animatronics should be alts (not even any of the other Freddys); Unless we made Freddy's moveset out of moves that the other animatronics could also use (which I'm not really a fan of), it'd just be kinda farfetched.

By the way, how many noms do I have right now?

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Probably not, to be honest. I already entertained the idea of a Fanverse Mii costume, but it all really depends if Nintendo wants to go the extra mile or if they just want to stick to the FNaF universe itself. Plus, they'd have to get the rights from the fangame devs themselves.

Agreed... to an extent. We already have a jumpscare-like victory animation for Piranha Plant (with it initally being off-screen and then dropping down from above), and I think that'd work well enough for Freddy. However, I'm not sure how you'd incorporate a jumpscare in a victory animation without a warning period; If it happened right off the bat, whatever jumpscare scream you use will probably be mixed with the announcer declaring Freddy's victory. Maybe it could be a situation like Joker where the announcer is quiet, though.

Here's a (fairly unrealistic) compromise between the two ideas; All of Freddy's victory screens open in a black void, similarly to Sephiroth and his fire. After a second, Freddy leaves the shadows to do his victory pose, one of which could be a jumpscare. I think that mixes up the suspense of whether or not you'll get jumpscared and the warning period.

(While we're talking about Freddy's victory poses, I'd like to propose a victory theme: An excerpt of the unused "Showtime" song from Help Wanted. We hear it at the end of Security Breach's first trailer, so it's not farfetched to assume the song will make a reappearance in one way or another in that game.)

To be honest, the only animatronic who isn't another Freddy that would work is Bonnie (the two share very similar models in the first game). That said, I don't think any of the other animatronics should be alts (not even any of the other Freddys); Unless we made Freddy's moveset out of moves that the other animatronics could also use (which I'm not really a fan of), it'd just be kinda farfetched.

By the way, how many noms do I have right now?
The variable victory pose idea is really good - to add on to that, maybe the length of the dark void silence varies to add suspense? Another thing to help would possibly be making the Jumpscare pose not as common and impossible to specifically choose or override with the D-pad.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Alright. It's question time.

So, uh, this is one of them anime girls with the animal ears, huh? What animal is she supposed to be?

Pillow

Smash Lord
For anyone unfamiliar, Arknights has some killer promotional videos. Anyways despite being clear anime weeb bait, it's interesting to note that Arknights would represent two genres not yet in Smash - Phone Games, and Tower Defense games.

I'm only familiar with the game by reputation, as a friend of mine was really into it. What would her general gameplay be? I'm guessing she'd be some heavily defensive zoner.

Noms:
x10 Innkeeper

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Alright. It's question time.

So, uh, this is one of them anime girls with the animal ears, huh? What animal is she supposed to be?
Looks like a rabbit to me.
Alright, it's Amiya's day new.
View attachment 318537
I'm one of the few people here really familiar with Arknights, so feel free to ask me a lot of questions.
Hey so first off who the **** is this, what the **** is the game they're from and what the **** can they do

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So, today's Amiya, eh?

Having just gotten into Arknights, Amiya fills an interesting niche: she's a mobile game character, like Euden, and Tower Defense games aren't something that's represented in Smash as of yet, which gives her some appeal. From what I've researched, she's got two different forms: the longer-range Caster Operator you start with, and the closer-range Guard form. I could see her being a character who's all about positioning and finding the right spot to attack. She's the leader of the protagonist faction Rhodes Island, who you first encounter in the Story.

Noms:
All on Chosen Undead.

Last edited:
Top Bottom