• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Exploration Thread - Day 79: Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Now I have no idea how an Ayumi moveset would specifically work, but UMvC3's Phoenix Wright might serve as some sort of precedent, with the lawyer's games being quite similar to the kid detective's games. It's generally really difficult to make a moveset out of characters from visual novels (Saber's the exception since she's had appearances in more interactive games that give her a whole lot more moveset potential), but if I'mma be honest, I'm confident some of you guys, and Sakurai for that matter, could pull it off easily.

Noms:
All on Chosen Undead.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
Sadly I missed more of Miriam's day. Weekends are always so busy....

Anyways, it's finally Ayumi's day. I did pick up FDC after her time here was rescheduled, but I just haven't had time to play it yet. Gameplay wise, is it purely a VN or are there puzzles involved like Ace Attorney?

Noms:
Innkeeper x5

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
To bring more options to other people's attentions, I will be placing three noms on each of these characters (assuming they haven't been discussed yet):

Spyro the Dragon
Scorpion
Tracer
Sly Cooper
Chell

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I was going to ask how Ayumi would play in Smash but that has already been asked. Marvel vs Capcom has shown that characters like detectives and lawyers can still work in a fighting game despite never actually fighting themselves. I’m assuming Ayumi is a little less goofy than Phoenix so I’m not sure the same basic idea would work for her.

Since play style has already been asked, what do you guys think would make for a good stage? Would there be any fun gimmicks that allude to the visual novel genre or would it be better to leave it basic and simple?

x10 Battletoads
x5 Magus (Chrono Trigger)

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
I was going to ask how Ayumi would play in Smash but that has already been asked. Marvel vs Capcom has shown that characters like detectives and lawyers can still work in a fighting game despite never actually fighting themselves. I’m assuming Ayumi is a little less goofy than Phoenix so I’m not sure the same basic idea would work for her.

Since play style has already been asked, what do you guys think would make for a good stage? Would there be any fun gimmicks that allude to the visual novel genre or would it be better to leave it basic and simple?

x10 Battletoads
x5 Magus (Chrono Trigger)
Well, if all else fails, we could always default to the roof of Ushimitsu High School. Ultimate hasn't been getting too crazy with stage gimmicks, so I'd expect it to be closer to simple.

Last edited:

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Hey, weird question: I heard Ayumi likes heavy metal. I think that's a really fun character trait for a character like her to have. How much does that come up in the games?

Technomage

Smash Champion
Hey, weird question: I heard Ayumi likes heavy metal. I think that's a really fun character trait for a character like her to have. How much does that come up in the games?
I don't know, but maybe she could come with a good chunk of heavy metal music (even if they have to make some new remixes)? It'd be quite symbolic.

Last edited:

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
It doesn't come up in-game at all.
Aw, that's lame. I thought someone posted something like that from the games' website.

Onto a more... pertinent question: In the same place, I also heard Ayumi can use a naginata. How much would that factor into her moveset, do y'all think? (And considering the other thing, does that come up at all either? I kinda doubt it.)

Treked

Smash Cadet
NNID
3DS FC
4296-3633-4104
Switch FC
SW-3184-5921-0328
Noms: Neku x10, Cadence x5

I'm curious what Ayumi's stage would be.
I'm guessing her school from The Girl Who Stands Behind as it seems the more popular game in Japan and it's the main location focus of that one if not that maybe the Utsugi Agency where both the main character and Ayumi end up working and is a shared location of both games I think?

Talking about music I'm pretty sure the investigation theme from The Missing Heir would be a 100% pick for a remix the song is already in a Famicom medley funnily enough pretty briefly though then the title theme from TGWSB seems another safe bet probably and also arrangements of the Utsugi Agency theme and Ayumi's theme too and I didn't heard them yet as I'm waiting for a discount to buy the remakes but the staff rolls credits songs of both games seems favorites among fans.

Original Investigation theme from The Missing Heir

Remake

Here I show some neat remixes that change the tempo of this catchy tune and made it work better for Smash

Title Theme from The Girl Who Stands Behind (Super Famicom Remake)

Switch Remake

Arrangements

Ayumi's Theme

Utsugi Agency

EDIT: Little correction the theme in the Famicom medley is the Title Theme from TGWSB.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Aw, that's lame. I thought someone posted something like that from the games' website.

Onto a more... pertinent question: In the same place, I also heard Ayumi can use a naginata. How much would that factor into her moveset, do y'all think? (And considering the other thing, does that come up at all either? I kinda doubt it.)
I'll bet it'd be in some Smash attacks and one of her tilts. It's a good reference to her character, but I think we'd also have to majorly focus on her game's style, just to have some modicum of faithfulness to the source material.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
I'll bet it'd be in some Smash attacks and one of her tilts. It's a good reference to her character, but I think we'd also have to majorly focus on her game's style, just to have some modicum of faithfulness to the source material.
See, what came to mind for me was it actually being one of her specials. If only because it seems a little... off-center of what the rest of her moveset would be, and that sort of move feels well-suited for a special.

Treked

Smash Cadet
NNID
3DS FC
4296-3633-4104
Switch FC
SW-3184-5921-0328
Censor dodging image removed.
Now we need a portray of this meme with Ayumi herself.

-snip-
Is there a problem if I post it with a blank slate?

Last edited:

Treked

Smash Cadet
NNID
3DS FC
4296-3633-4104
Switch FC
SW-3184-5921-0328
How much do you think the remakes will affect the content that comes with Ayumi?
Probably to her design. It would be pretty neat to have an 80/90's original anime design alt though.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Ayumi Tachibana.png
Ayumi Tachibana
Is on the case!

This is a moveset I made assuming Ayumi was introduced in Melee, like she was considered to be.
Intro: Ayumi runs onto the stage and catches her breath

Stance/Idle 1: Ayumi stands with her briefcase in hand
Idle 2: Ayumi nervously looks over her shoulder
Idle 3: Ayumi brushes her left leg

Notable Palette Swaps:
  1. Ayumi Tachibana (default)
  2. Diskun (orange)
  3. Takamaru (red/blue)
  4. Tamagon (green/yellow)
  5. Sukapon (pink)
  6. Classic Marth (purple/cyan)
  7. Civilian Ayumi (alternate costume)
  8. FDC protagonist (alt. blue)
Walk: Ayumi walks slowly and nervously
Dash: Ayumi runs delicately while keeping her suitcase in one hand
Damage: Ayumi recoils in shock
Jump: Ayumi jumps somewhat low both times
Crouch: Ayumi looks down, observing the ground

Normal Attacks
Jab: Ayumi slaps the opponent twice (4%, small knockback)
Forward+A: Ayumi weakly kicks the opponent (3%, small knockback)
Down+A: Ayumi weakly kicks along the ground (4%, small knockback)
Up+A: Ayumi does an upward backhand slap (5%, small knockback)

Aerial Attacks
Air+A: Ayumi swings her suitcase in a full circle (8%, OK knockback)
Air Forward+A: Ayumi briefly flickers her flashlight (7%, OK knockback)
Air Back + A: Ayumi swings her suitcase backwards (9%, OK knockback)
Air Up+A: Ayumi briefly opens then retracts her umbrella (8%, small knockback)
Air Down+A: Ayumi kicks opponents below her (6%, small knockback)

Dash Attack: Ayumi trips on the ground (5%, small knockback)
Edge Attack: Ayumi slams her suitcase onto the ground (11%, OK knockback)
Get-Up Attack: Ayumi turns on her flashlight and gets up (7%, small knockback)

Smash Attacks
Forward+A: Ayumi swings her suitcase with great force (21%, medium knockback)
Up+A: Ayumi opens her umbrella (18%, OK knockback)
Down+A: Ayumi shines a burning light along the ground (19%, OK knockback)

Grab Game
Grab: Ayumi grabs the opponent with her open hand
Pummel: Ayumi backhands the opponent with her suitcase (2%)
Forwards+Throw: Ayumi pushes the opponent (8%, small knockback)
Down+Throw: Ayumi pushes the opponent to the ground with both hands (8%)
Back+Throw: Ayumi runs past the opponent as she pushes them away (7%, small knockback)
Up+Throw: Ayumi uppercuts the opponent with her suitcase and sends them flying upwards (10%, OK knockback)

Special Moves
B : Flashlight; Ayumi shines her flashlight in a medium area (10%, small knockback), briefly stunning opponents in range. Holding B keeps the flashlight on, but it won't stun opponents (2%, small knockback).
B + Forwards : Solar Rays; Ayumi uses her magnifying glass to create a ray of sun (10%, OK knockback), with the attack weakening over time. The attack’s power is increased by 5% damage for a single hit when used on stages that take place in the daytime.
B + Up : Umbrella; Ayumi nervously opens her umbrella and floats in a single direction without stopping, only slowing down when the control stick is tilted in the opposite direction
B + Down : Inspect; Ayumi inspects the ground with her magnifying glass; there’s a 50/50 chance of Ayumi picking up an item, but not all items will be discovered by this move (example: Smash Balls will not appear)

Final Smash: Case Closed; Ayumi glares at up to 3 opponents (2%). Any caught in her vision are taken into a cutscene emulating FDC on the Famicom, where Ayumi declares the opponent(s) the perpetrator(s), instantly K.O.-ing anyone above 100% (39%, far knockback). The damage dealt is increased by 5% if the enemy is holding an item.

Gimmick: N/A

Taunts
1: Ayumi gasps in shock
2: Ayumi looks over both of her shoulder
1+2: Ayumi struggles to lift her suitcase

Winposes
1: Ayumi slowly walks towards the camera
2: Ayumi, her back turned to the camera, looks at it and, startled, gasps in shock
3: Ayumi turns on a flashlight and points it towards her name on the victory screen

Applause: Ayumi quietly claps
Icon: A magnifying glass
Boxing Ring Title: Schoolgirl Detective
Star K.O.: Ayumi pushes down on her skirt and screams for her life
Victory Music:
https://youtu.be/9h7FyuIRC4A
Kirby Hat: Ayumi’s hair
Viridi: Wow, it’s literally just…a teenage girl? You’re kidding me?
:ultpit:: She doesn’t even look like she even knows how to fight, much less wants too.
:ultpalutena:: You can go easy if you want, Pit, but Ayumi Tachibana is still a plenty capable fighter. For what it’s worth, she relies on resourcefulness in Smash, whether it be briefly blinding opponents with a flashlight or using the sun’s rays with a magnifying glass.
Viridi: WHAT?! A skinny little girl like her has power over the sun by way of logic?!
:ultpit:: I think “resourcefulness” might be an understatement!
:ultpalutena:: Yep. Even with her lack of proper fighting skill and her overall shyness, she’s no pushover. She’s helped an old partner of hers solve numerous crimes all over Japan.
:ultpit:: “Old partner”, huh? …Now that I think about it, weren’t there some really old records stating she eventually opened a detective agency of her own?
Viridi: Those records are outdated. A more recent one states she opened a detective club at her school with a friend of hers and then became an assistant to an actual detective.
:ultpit:: Hey, didn’t I just say “really old”?
(fights characters from lesser-known games, most of which have never left Japan)
Round 1: Marth on Coliseum (Mystery of the Emblem Medley)
Round 2: Roy on Castle Siege (Beyond Distant Skies - Roy’s Departure -)
Round 3: Lucas on New Pork City (Mother 3 Love Theme)
Round 4: Shulk on Gaur Plain (Gaur Plain)
Round 5: Richter on Dracula’s Castle (Divine Bloodlines)
Round 6: Ayumi on Onett (Title - Famicom Detective Club Part II: The Girl who Stands Behind)
Final Round: Master Hand (and Crazy Hand on 7.0 or higher)
  1. Ayumi (Fighter Spirit)
  2. Protagonist (Famicom Detective Club) (Color 8 Ayumi, ★★★)
  3. The Girl Who Stands Behind (Clear Ayumi, ★★★★)

Noms:
Crash Bandicoot x5

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I suppose we should address the situation with the FDC main character (Called Taro Ninten in some promo materials)

Basically, in the first game he's the unambiguous main character, with Ayumi being a supporting character who shows up at the end of each chapter to speculate. The second game, which seem to be the more popular of the two given it's Super Famicom port and Ayumi's design from that game being used more often, expanded her role. There was actually a third game for the Satellaview that gave her the protagonist role in full, but barely anyone remembers that.

Anyways, Ayumi's been the only one to regularly appear outside of FDC; As a trophy in Melee, a costume in Mario Maker, and a Spirit in Ultimate. It seems that she's the most well-known character from the series, and I'd assume she'd be chosen as the fighter and not the MC.

Rural_Juror

Smash Apprentice
I posted this in the Ayumi support thread a few weeks ago, but these were ideas for a classic mode, stage, music selection and spirit board.

The default look is her Missing Heir 2021 outfit, with the school uniform getting two alts. Personally, I think the Missing Heir outfit looks great and feels more unique than a school uniform tbh. Both outfits get fighter spirits, though. Other colors could reference other characters, such as an orange dress as a nod to Azusa Ayashiro, or a rose-colored dress to reference Ms. Hayama.

Stage: Ushimitsu High School
A walkoff on the left and on the right a three-story school building. You can see some teachers in the building during the day, but after the sun sets you may see something else...

Featured music:
bold indicates a new arrangement, if not bold assume it's from the Switch remake. The names of these tracks is what they're called in the remake as well.

Famicom Detective Club Medley
Utsugi Detective Agency
Investigation
Ending (The Missing Heir)
Title (The Girl Who Stands Behind)

Scramble
Interviews
Police Station
Madness

Classic Mode route:
I was going to say characters that originated on the Famicom, but that may be too similar to Pac-Man's. Maybe something where you "investigate"seven other fighters and eliminate one each round until the final suspect (Bowser or Ganondorf) is left, and they're the boss of the route? Otherwise, a "Back to the 80's" route where only characters introduced in the 1980's are fought:

Round 1: :ultgnw::ultpacman::ultmario::ultdk: on 75m
Round 2: :ultrob::ultduckhunt::ultlittlemac::ulticeclimbers: on Duck Hunt
Round 3: :ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultbowser: on Mushroom Kingdom
Round 4: :ultsamus::ultridley::ultpit::ultpalutena:on Skyworld
Round 5: :ultlink::ultzelda::ultsimon:Ayumi on Temple
Round 6: :ultsnake::ultmegaman::ultryu::ultken: on Suzaku Castle
BOSS: Dracula

Spirit Board:
I mostly made spirits for characters that you meet very early on and could have easy to make battles, to avoid spoilers. I saw the art book and I'm unsure if the 4-star spirit has actual artwork they could use that's isolated but who knows. I have ideas for some, some are incomplete lol

Protagonist (Famicom Detective Club)(***) (Famicom Detective Club Medley plays)
Shunsuke Utsugi (***) (Vs. Robin on Fourside, Utsugi Detective Agency plays)
Zenzou Tanabe (*) (Vs. Luigi on a foggy Luigi's Mansion, Investigation plays)
Amachi (**) (Fight on Tomodachi Life Omega, coffee food item spawns very frequently, Investigation plays)
Dr. Kumada (**) (Vs. Dr. Mario, Investigation plays)
Mr. Komada (**) (Vs. Mii Brawler on Ushimitsu High School, Vince AT spawns, Interviews plays)
Ms. Hayama (*) (Vs. Daisy on Ushimitsu High School, Timed stamina battle where the enemy avoids combat, Scramble plays)
The Girl Who Stands Behind (****) (Vs. Ayumi on Ushimitsu High School, The enemy is invisible and has a sudden FS, Madness plays)

FemMain26

Smash Apprentice
Here`s who i`m nominating;
Ayumi Tachibana (Famicom Detective Club)
Chun-Li (Street Fighter)
Shantae
Pauline (Mario)

amageish

Smash Master

Anyways, it's finally Ayumi's day. I did pick up FDC after her time here was rescheduled, but I just haven't had time to play it yet. Gameplay wise, is it purely a VN or are there puzzles involved like Ace Attorney?
Noms:
Innkeeper x5
If you count AA as part-puzzle game, then Famicom Detective is a full puzzle game I guess?

Famicom Detective is an adventure game released several years before the first visual novel*, so it has a system of choosing what person/people/things you want to interact with in what ways. This genre were huge in Japan, but the games rarely localized into English (partly due to cost of localizing games with so much text and partly due to tone; Famicom Detective does basically everything Nintendo of America wouldn't want a Nintendo game to be doing in the '80s). I think Hudson's Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom may be one of the more famous English examples and it's pretty niche...

So, you have a box of options and just have to figure out the correct combination of things to say/do/think/show/grab/etc to make the story progress.

*As Famicom Detective predates VNs, the term "Visual Novel" shouldn't apply to it... but everyone calls it one anyway.

I believe there is a tiny bit of flavour text if you choose to interact with the office radio. The fact she is skilled at naginata combat and into heavy metal music is featured weirdly prominently in marketing for character traits that have little to no purpose.

How much do you think the remakes will affect the content that comes with Ayumi?

Nominations: Freddy Fazbear x10
I mean, it probably would provide all of the art used for spirits... as they didn't really have key art for the main games. Frankly, that's possibly why Ayumi is the only spirit from the franchise in Smash right now; she was the only one with official art.

Here`s who i`m nominating;
Ayumi Tachibana (Famicom Detective Club)
Are you nominating Ayumi to be discussed again?

Is it possible to have an alt costume based on Missing Heir?
That seems compulsory to me. The Girl Who Stands Behind is the bigger game in Japan, but they're still two standalone games.

Anyway, I'll probably be doing a full moveset write-up of my own later tonight (expect it to be very gimmicky and borrow some moves from Layton and Danganronpa fan movesets), but for now I'll just ask a question: How would you set up an Ayumi trailer?

Noms: Cadence x 10

Treked

Smash Cadet
NNID
3DS FC
4296-3633-4104
Switch FC
SW-3184-5921-0328
I read some suggested movesets ideas for Ayumi that while fitting I think are still missing a key identity of her game genre and that would be an Action Menu. I'm just gonna talk a little about what we can do with this so not going to explain a detailed full moveset sorry but hope you find this interestingly enough.

This would be her Neutral or Down Special and it would open an Action Menu just like the Dragon Quest Heroes! But big difference we don't get RNG... (yet) with what we have to choose there will be always the same choices and always in the same order too! (also this wouldn't cause a language problem players will eventually memorize what other players can do if they select the action 2 for example)

Soooo presenting you the Action Menu! (Apologize for any inconsistencies with the actual actions you can make in the FDC games)
-------------------------
| -->-1. Talk |
| -2. Pick Up |
|-3. Throw |
|-4. Think |
(This could be expanded up to 5 actions maybe)

-Talk: This may surprise you but I decided that the Talk command would be a command grab! It will appear as some projected text buble in front of Ayumi with the length of some teather grabs more or less. Anyone caught by it will have the need to hear patiently what Ayumi has to say the Ayumi player will have a limited time to do another action between Show or Throw if the Ayumi player is too slow the opponent will escape their state of willingly listening to the detective. (Not needed mashing the controller to escape allways will be the same time) Going to explain Show after Pick Up as is dependant on it but Throw in this situation would be kinda like a special throw unique here not too amazing on damage % but has decent knockback this option is mainly if you don't have anything picked up yet and still want a small reward for the command grab. The order actions on the sub-menu for landing Talk will be randomized so it will add a little game on the Ayumi player either way it's just two options so not that complicated.

-Pick Up: Here comes the juicy part... and yes the inevitable part were we must talk about the dreaded RNG... Still going to try make it fair and not that big of a deal at least not like the DQ Heroes. So this action will make Ayumi search on the ground so it can't be used in the air (Now that I think about it probably the only air option on this action menu is Throw) Ayumi will find some evidence there's going to be 2 type of evidence regular stuff that can reference actual evidence on FDC and fighters evidence. Let's make it a 50/50 % on which type you get. Ayumi can Pick Up and fill up to 5 item slots that will be showed under Ayumi's icon. If she tries to Pick Up more when she has 5 items already she'll do a special animation but that does nothing really.

-Show: OK. Remember the fighters evidence I talked about? Well when you select Show after landing Talk this is where this type of evidence comes to shine you'll have to choose some of the evidence you gathered again by selecting it in another sub-menu with the list of up to 5 items each member of the roster will have unique evidence that you must show to them to prove them something and shocking them with the strength of like Incineroar's perfect Side B. I'm doubtious though about if in every MU you could get any fighters evidence because that would be detrimental to Ayumi's chances of actually using the evidence with more than 80 fighters so even if the main purpose of this move is reflecting deductive skills and doing this will reduce that to 0% in 1 vs 1 matches the sacrifice of style is worth it to make Ayumi more viable. So now let's say you're facing Mario and Link well then let's say some of the fighters evidence you can get from these 2 are coins and rupees. What if you Show a coin to Link, well then Ayumi will be the one getting shocked by her own error. There's also the chance you select regular stuff here and also fail athrough this failure is less punishing that showing wrong fighters evidence to the wrong character. You'll all be probably thinking "Why proving Mario that he maybe forgot a coin somewhere would blast him off with such impactful strength." And to that I answer if Phoenix Wright can convict anyone in UMvC3 roster and fight yelling Objection! in PXZ2 this isn't that much crazy hahaha.

-Throw: This isn't the same Throw from the Talk sub-menu this is where you get to use the regular stuff evidence! As long as you have one of these you'll throw them via here with different effects let's say you get a knife you'll throw it straight-forward or a heavy contundent object it will have an arc similar to that of the Belmonts axes... etc, etc. The order of how you throw them I'm unsure if making another sub-menu where you get to choose what you want to throw or Ayumi will just throw them in the actual order she picked up the items. You can't throw fighters evidence with this.

-Think: Thinking will let Ayumi take a thinking stance and start healing up as she thinks. The more items you have the faster and more % you heal and if you have fighters evidence their icons in the item slots will glow with the color to the player to which the evidence corresponds to the fighter. (Again this just helps if the battle is not a 1 vs 1 as obviously the fighters evidence you get in 1v1 is always from the singular opponent). Ayumi can only cancel the thinking pose via shield or getting hit.

And that concludes my little idea as a part of her moveset. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I read some suggested movesets ideas for Ayumi that while fitting I think are still missing a key identity of her game genre and that would be an Action Menu. I'm just gonna talk a little about what we can do with this so not going to explain a detailed full moveset sorry but hope you find thisinterestingly enough.

This would be her Neutral or Down Special and it would open an Action Menu just like the Dragon Quest Heroes! But big difference we don't get RNG... (yet) with what we have to choose there will be always the same choices and always in the same order too! (also this wouldn't cause a language problem players will eventually memorize what other players can do if they select the action 2 for example)

Soooo presenting you the Action Menu! (Apologize for any inconsistencies with the actual actions you can make in the FDC games)
| -->-1. Talk |
| -2. Pick Up |
|-3. Throw |
|-4. Think |

-Talk: This may surprise you but I decided that the Talk command would be a command grab! It will appear as some projected text bublein front of Ayumi with the length of some teather grabs more or less. Anyone caught by it will have the need to hear patiently what Ayumi has to say the Ayumi player will have a limited time to do another action between Show or Throw if the Ayumi player is too slow the opponent will escape their state of willingly listening to the detective. (Not needed mashing the controller to escape allways will be the same time) Going to explain Show after Pick Up as is dependant on it but Throw in this situation would be kinda like a special throw unique here not too amazing on damage % but has decent knockback this option is mainly if you don't have anything picked up yet and still want a small reward for the command grab. The order actions on the sub-menu for landing Talk will be randomized so it will add a little game on the Ayumi player either way it's just two options so not that complicated.

-Pick Up: Here comes the juicy part... and yes the inevitable part were we must talk about the dreaded RNG... Still going to try make it fair and not that big of a deal at least not like the DQ Heroes. So this action will make Ayumi search on the ground so it can't be used in the air (Now that I think about it probably the only air option on this action menu is Throw) Ayumi will find some evidence there's going to be 2 type of evidence regular stuff that can reference actual evidence on FDC and fighters evidence. Let's make it a 50/50 % on which type you get. Ayumi can Pick Up and fill up to 5 item slots that will be showed under Ayumi's icon. If she tries to Pick Up more when she has 5 items already she'll do a special animation but that does nothing really.

-Show: OK. Remember the fighters evidence I talked about? Well when you select Show after landing Talk this is where this type of evidence comes to shine you'll have to choose some of the evidence you gathered again by selecting it in another sub-menu with the list of up to 5 items each member of the roster will have unique evidence that you must show to them to prove them something and shocking them with the strength of like Incineroar's perfect Side B. I'm doubtious though about if in every MU you could get any fighters evidence because that would be detrimental to Ayumi's chances of actually using the evidence with more than 80 fighters so even if the main purpose of this move that is reflecting deductive skills will be reduced to 0% in 1 vs 1 matches the sacrifice of style is worth it to make Ayumi more viable. So now let's say you're facing Mario and Link well thenlet's say some of the fighters evidence you can get from these 2 are coins and rupees. What if you Show a coin to Link, well then Ayumi will be the one getting shocked by her own error. There's also the chance you select regular stuff here and also fail athrough this failure is less punishing that showing wrong fighters evidence to the wrong character. You'll all be probably thinking "Why proving Mario that he maybe forgot a coin somewhere would blast him off with such impactful strenght." And to that I answer if Phoenix Wright can convict anyone in UMvC3 roster and fight yelling Objection! in PXZ2 this isn't that much crazy hahaha.

-Throw: This isn't the same Throw from the Talk sub-menu this is where you get to use the regular stuff evidence! As long as you have one of these you'll throw them via here with different effects let's say you get a knife you'll throw it straight-forward or a heavy contundent object it will have an arc similar to that of the Belmonts axes... etc, etc. The order of how you throw them I'm unsure if making another sub-menu where you get to choose what you want to throw or Ayumi will just throw them in the actual order she picked up the items. You can't throw fighters evidence with this.

-Think: Thinking will let Ayumi take a thinking stance and start healing up as she thinks. The more items you have the faster and more % you heal and if you have fighters evidence their icons in the item slots will glow with the color to the player to which the evidence corresponds to the fighter. (Again this just helps if the battle is not a 1 vs 1 as obviously the fighters evidence you get in 1v1 is always from the singular opponent). Ayumi can only cancel the thinking pose via shield or getting hit.

And that concludes my little idea as a part of her moveset. What do you guys think?
I think that’s a really cool idea. It’s definitely a lot to take in and I had to read it a few times to fully comprehend it but I really like where you’re going with this. I think it would definitely set her apart from the rest of the cast and make her a really interesting character.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I read some suggested movesets ideas for Ayumi that while fitting I think are still missing a key identity of her game genre and that would be an Action Menu. I'm just gonna talk a little about what we can do with this so not going to explain a detailed full moveset sorry but hope you find thisinterestingly enough.

| -->-1. Talk |
| -2. Pick Up |
|-3. Throw |
|-4. Think |

-Talk: This may surprise you but I decided that the Talk command would be a command grab! It will appear as some projected text bublein front of Ayumi with the length of some teather grabs more or less. Anyone caught by it will have the need to hear patiently what Ayumi has to say the Ayumi player will have a limited time to do another action between Show or Throw if the Ayumi player is too slow the opponent will escape their state of willingly listening to the detective. (Not needed mashing the controller to escape allways will be the same time) Going to explain Show after Pick Up as is dependant on it but Throw in this situation would be kinda like a special throw unique here not too amazing on damage % but has decent knockback this option is mainly if you don't have anything picked up yet and still want a small reward for the command grab. The order actions on the sub-menu for landing Talk will be randomized so it will add a little game on the Ayumi player either way it's just two options so not that complicated.

-Show: OK. Remember the fighters evidence I talked about? Well when you select Show after landing Talk this is where this type of evidence comes to shine you'll have to choose some of the evidence you gathered again by selecting it in another sub-menu with the list of up to 5 items each member of the roster will have unique evidence that you must show to them to prove them something and shocking them with the strength of like Incineroar's perfect Side B. I'm doubtious though about if in every MU you could get any fighters evidence because that would be detrimental to Ayumi's chances of actually using the evidence with more than 80 fighters so even if the main purpose of this move that is reflecting deductive skills will be reduced to 0% in 1 vs 1 matches the sacrifice of style is worth it to make Ayumi more viable. So now let's say you're facing Mario and Link well thenlet's say some of the fighters evidence you can get from these 2 are coins and rupees. What if you Show a coin to Link, well then Ayumi will be the one getting shocked by her own error. There's also the chance you select regular stuff here and also fail athrough this failure is less punishing that showing wrong fighters evidence to the wrong character. You'll all be probably thinking "Why proving Mario that he maybe forgot a coin somewhere would blast him off with such impactful strenght." And to that I answer if Phoenix Wright can convict anyone in UMvC3 roster and fight yelling Objection! in PXZ2 this isn't that much crazy hahaha.

Woah. This is extremely in-depth! And it's a hella-unique take on the Command Selection that makes for more set-up and has just as much uses without turning Ayumi into Hero 2.0.

Treked

Smash Cadet
NNID
3DS FC
4296-3633-4104
Switch FC
SW-3184-5921-0328
I think that’s a really cool idea. It’s definitely a lot to take in and I had to read it a few times to fully comprehend it but I really like where you’re going with this. I think it would definitely set her apart from the rest of the cast and make her a really interesting character.
Woah. This is extremely in-depth! And it's a hella-unique take on the Command Selection that makes for more set-up and has just as much uses without turning Ayumi into Hero 2.0.
Glad you enjoyed the idea! It was fun coming up with it and though it can have a few retouches here and there I'll say it could be realized pretty nicely.
As a side note I apologize for any grammar mistakes as english isn't my first language and I know it can get rough reading that much without being double checked first-hand.

amageish

Smash Master
Okay, I have my moveset written up! Like Treked, I am also working to highlight the Action Menu, which I imagine will appear behind her as she does attacks in a Joker-and-Arsene -esque situation.

Neutral Special: Action - Look. Ayumi takes a thinking pose and a Magnifying Glass cursor appears. The player can move it using the normal movement controls and hit the special button a second time to make a small explosion near the cursor. You can cancel this move anytime by hitting the shield button. This is inspired by/blatantly ripped off from this Layton moveset.

Down Special: Action - Grab. Ayumi reaches forward and does a quick grab gesture. If she hits a player, then this is basically just a fancy way of doing a grab. If she hits a ranged attack, this functions like Villager’s pocket and collects the item as evidence. She can collect up to 4 items. This is inspired by/blatantly ripped off from this Danganronpa moveset (V3 SPOILERS), but also that is my Danganronpa moveset, so it’s probably okay. I'm allowed to steal from my past self.

Side Special: Action - Show. Ayumi shows evidence she collected with her down-special, doing slightly more damage than the ranged attack would normally do, but as a short-ranged physical attack. If she has no evidence, she just shows a photograph, doing a small amount of damage to anyone it hits.

Up Special: Action - Think. Thinking is conventionally seen as happening high in the body, so thinking causes Ayumi to float up slightly, at a controlled ROB-esque speed. Problem is that she will eventually have a “Eureka!” moment, at which point she drops into free fall, so be careful!

Jabs: Briefcase. Ayumi swings around her briefcase with her jabs. Swoosh swoosh! The full combo ends with her dropping it and looking surprised, a la her Melee trophy. Her dash attack has her comedically running into the person.

Aerials: Action - Quit The Investigation. Ayumi pulls up the menu, attempting to hit the save button. She never successfully saves, naturally, but the menu appearing beside her does damage to anyone it hits.

Smash Attacks: Action - Use - Flashlight / Action - Use - Naginata. Side-Smash attacks have her shining a stun-inducing flashlight. Up-smash is the obligatory “She uses the naginata we never see nor hear about in the actual game” move.

Final Smash: Action - Speculate. The camera cuts to a brief 2D CG of Ayumi thinking and muttering about the best way to move forward. By the time we return to the battlefield, everyone has been knocked into stun, giving Ayumi to run around and swat at people as she wishes.

Taunts: Action - Talk. Protagonist-kun appears in her taunts to give her moral support, a la Rex with Pyra/Mythra.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Putting my noms which I think I have 10 of towards Amaterasu today.

First of all, play the FDC remakes if you can get past weirdly obtuse menus because they tell surprisingly compelling mysteries for being from the 80s! The characters actually act like regular folk instead of the wacky gimmicks we get in modern visual novels.

Some people have already posted movesets. They're good considering the little you have to work with from the actual games, but the concept still worries me a bit because the characters do so little action. I would like to see her because I love VNs but man she is harder to make a moveset for than Duck Hunt. Instead of suggesting my own moveset ideas, because I have none at the moment, I'll pose a different question.

Another way this game exceeded my expectations was in the protagonist, who I guess would just be called his "default" name Taro. He actually has a personality and a story connection and a lot of good dialogue and even development. Usually these nameless protagonists are secondary to games like these but FDC treats Taro with respect. He's not the greatest character ever but I ended up liking him. Ayumi is still the posterchild of the franchise, she's in Super Mario Maker for crying out loud, and that means she is the one who would likely be added to Smash. But what do you guys think of the concept of the protagonist as an alternate costume or something? Since he is the one who does the actual work and really it wouldn't be weird to see both Ayumi and him fighting with detective abilities. He's canonically taller but eh who cares? It wouldn't look weird to shrink him or grow Ayumi to make it work. Plus we've seen from Inkling and Byleth that they're willing to give alternate costumes minor animation differences to fit the personality better.

Also since some people were sharing music tracks, may I suggest the Real Criminal theme from The Missing Heir because I love the buildup and it's one of the few that could fit for a fight unremixed.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Noms:
Innkeeper x5
Think of the investigation parts of Ace Attorney, only more obtuse
Considering how Smash movesets are for the most part very focused, I'd say the naginata would be completely absent as it doesn't come up at all, it'd be like if Sonic pulled out a sword to reference Black Knight for a special move

amageish

Smash Master
Here's the noms list! The good news is that, while there are ties, they are fit within a 7-day schedule perfectly. I've just put the tying characters (Amiya & Cadence; Magus & Neku) in alphabetical order.

The bad news is this means some characters who have been nominated a lot will have to continue to amass more nominations over the next week...

50+ noms
Freddy Fazbear - x147
Amiya - x115
Cadence - x115
Battletoads - x110
Crash Bandicoot - x105
Magus (Chrono Trigger) - x100
Neku Sakuraba - x100

Chosen Undead - x95
Imperial (Etrian Odyssey) - x90
Gran/Djeeta - x85
Maxwell - x75
Amaterasu - x75
Sarah Kerrigan - x60
Filia (Skullgirls) - x55

26-50 noms
Estelle Bright - x45
Endo Mamoru - x45
Frisk - x44
2B - x40
Saber - x40
Elma - x38
Maxwell - x35

11-25 noms
Octoling - x25
Hearthstone Innkeeper - x25
Black Mage - x20
Master Hand - x20
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x20
Laharl - x20
Mega Man X - x15
Shovel Knight - x15
Astral Chain rep - x15
Trauma Center Content - x12

5-10 noms
Daitoryo - x10
Saber - x10
Ryza - x10
Bubsy - x10
Ryza - x10
Bill & Lance - x10
Chibi-Robo - x5
9-volt - x5
Gunvolt - x5
Jill Stingray - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Spyro the Dragon - x3
Tracer - x3
Sly Cooper - x3
Scorpion - x3
Chell - x3
Chun-Li - x1
Shantae - x1

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Here's the noms list! The good news is that, while there are ties, they are fit within a 7-day schedule perfectly. I've just put the tying characters (Amiya & Cadence; Magus & Neku) in alphabetical order.

The bad news is this means some characters who have been nominated a lot will have to continue to amass more nominations over the next week...

50+ noms
Freddy Fazbear - x147
Amiya - x115
Cadence - x115
Battletoads - x110
Crash Bandicoot - x105
Magus (Chrono Trigger) - x100
Neku Sakuraba - x100

Chosen Undead - x95
Imperial (Etrian Odyssey) - x90
Gran/Djeeta - x85
Maxwell - x75
Amaterasu - x75
Sarah Kerrigan - x60
Filia (Skullgirls) - x55

26-50 noms
Estelle Bright - x45
Endo Mamoru - x45
Frisk - x44
2B - x40
Saber - x40
Elma - x38
Maxwell - x35

11-25 noms
Octoling - x25
Hearthstone Innkeeper - x25
Black Mage - x20
Master Hand - x20
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x20
Laharl - x20
Mega Man X - x15
Shovel Knight - x15
Astral Chain rep - x15
Trauma Center Content - x12

5-10 noms
Daitoryo - x10
Saber - x10
Ryza - x10
Bubsy - x10
Ryza - x10
Bill & Lance - x10
Chibi-Robo - x5
9-volt - x5
Gunvolt - x5
Jill Stingray - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Spyro the Dragon - x3
Tracer - x3
Sly Cooper - x3
Chell - x3
Chun-Li - x1
Shantae - x1
Sorry, but I noticed you don't have Scorpion on there; am I correct to assume we already discussed him?

amageish

Smash Master
Sorry, but I noticed you don't have Scorpion on there; am I correct to assume we already discussed him?
Nope; I just made a clerical error! Fixed now. I'll accept noms from already-discussed concepts and denote them with "Redux."

Last edited:
Top Bottom