• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Exploration Thread - Day 79: Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Welp, here's the poll. According to the poll itself when compared to the Google Doc list, I have unfortunately lost one name to time. However, I added in my own wants and the submissions that came after I began the list, so there's that, at least

Vote away. Note that whoever gets focused on will also allow for us to talk about characters from the same series, assuming the series isn't represented with a fighter yet. for this reason, I've folded characters explicitly mentioned to be the second rep of the unrepped series, like T-ELOS and a second Crash Bandicoot rep, into what would be the first fighter of the series.

Also be mindful of characters who may be deemed "over-discussed," as the point of CET was to get a way from the cyclic loop of the general newcomer thread. Not saying you can't vote for them, just keep that in mind. On the other hand, you can decide to vote for them on the basis that now people can know them as more than just the guy who gets debated a lot.
I shall watch this thread with great interest.

...Yoi probably shouldn't have given people unlimited choices.
Yeah, this is just for the first seven characters. After that, we have to nominate them over time like in RTC.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Is it too late to nominate? If not I'd plug Arle and a Rhythm Heaven character, naturally.

In any case, sounds like a fun thread. Looking forward to some creative conversations!

Last edited:

BlueEyedGrimmbat

Smash Apprentice
I'll throw a few hats in the ring I guess. If you're still accepting submissions?

• Amiya (Arknights)
  • Corvo Attano (Dishonored)
...At least put in Amiya, you like her...

(Nevermind, she's already there.)

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
Whelp went and voted for the characters that interested me most.

Will be interesting to see how things go with this thread.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Before I go to bed, I might as well list off the current leaders.

Ayumi Tachibana's made a surprising lead, at seven votes. Adol and Sakura follow behind at six, and Elma, Edelgard, Makoto, and Pyramid Head each have five. So far, these are our leaders, though when I wake up tomorrow it'll probably have changed.

Also Pyramid Head is basically someone wearing a spooky Halloween costume to an anime convention

smashkirby

Smash Hero
If it's not too late, I'd like to throw my hat in the ring for:

Mona (WarioWare)
Lark (Pilotwings 64)
Mike Jones (StarTropics)
Saki Amamiya (Sin & Punishment)
Alice (Balloon Kid)
Takamaru (The Mysterious Murasame Castle)
Fatal Frame (Any character, doesn't matter who)
Donbe and Hikari (Shin Onigashima)
Goku (Dragon Ba-- I mean... Yuyuki)
Starfy (The Legendary Starfy)
Rhythm Heaven (Any character from this series, doesn't matter who)
Bandana Waddle Dee (Kirby)
Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong)
Krystal (Star Fox)
Isaac (Golden Sun)
Ray (any model) (Custom Robo)
Chibi-Robo (Chibi-Robo)
Alph (Pikmin) as an Echo of Olimar
Cynthia (Pokémon)
Jill (Drill Dozer)
Sukapon (Joy Mech Fight)
Lip and/or Furil (Panel de Pon)
Prince Sable (Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru [The Frog for Whom the Bell Tolls])
Barbara the Bat (Daigasso! Band Brothers [Jam with the Band])
Excitebiker (Excitebike)
Andy (Wars)
Kururin (Kuru Kuru Kururin)
Dillon (Dillon's Rolling Western)
Dr. Kawashima (Brain Age)
Sheriff (Sheriff)
Mini-Kangaroo (Nintendo Toyline)
Labo Man or Labobot (Nintendo LABO)
Ayumi Tachibana (Famicom Detective Club)

Last edited:

Dr.DonPatch64

Smash Journeyman
Peter Griffin, I love Peter Griffin, Just kidding, But in reality I don't know who to vote for.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Before I go to bed, I might as well list off the current leaders.

Ayumi Tachibana's made a surprising lead, at seven votes. Adol and Sakura follow behind at six, and Elma, Edelgard, Makoto, and Pyramid Head each have five. So far, these are our leaders, though when I wake up tomorrow it'll probably have changed.

Also Pyramid Head is basically someone wearing a spooky Halloween costume to an anime convention

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The poll will close at 10:00 AM. If you want to get your votes in, do it quick.

Also might as well do a check in on the current scores. Ayumi's still at first place, with nine points. After that is Bandana Dee, who's made a sudden surge and landed at eight. Demi-Fiend, Makoto, Reimu, and Sakura sit at seven. Too many people to count have six votes.

...Yeah. After this I'm gonna have to hold a tiebreaker for sixth place.

As another announcement, submissions are OVER. If you want to nominate someone, we'll be doing it over time like in RTC. On that note, the mass-submissions were always meant to be temporary. I've had some people get confused and I can see why, but yeah, this style was never going to work for a long period of time. It was just a way to get things off the ground, and while it could probably be done better, once we actually get things started it should go a lot smoother.

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman
While submissions may be closed, I would like to bring attention to Destiny

It's a massive game with a massive fan base and Bungie is being relentless with content expansion for it.

Any Character from it has a shot I argue.

(Also Scorpion from Mortal Kombat)

Last edited:

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
While submissions may be closed, I would like to bring attention to Destiny

It's a massive game with a massive fan base and Bungie is being relentless with content expansion for it.

Any Character from it has a shot I argue.

(Also Scorpion from Mortal Kombat)
I mean, I recognize this thread is too young to have built up a reputation, but one of our founding principles is that having a shot has nothing to do with it. In here, it's all about what a character could come with - movesets, stages, music, the works.

So once this thread gets going, you can nominate Destiny until it gets a day and then we can talk about that stuff!

SharkLord

Smash Hero
While we wait for the poll to finish, I must ask

Is it a good idea to put a limit on how much noms you can get in a single session? Something like 20-25 noms total as the upper limit. If we don't, I fear that if we leave it unchecked the less talkative people are going to get kinda lost in terms of nominations, not to mention the work needed for listing off the exact amount of noms someone has when they've been asking and posting a lot.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
And with that, the poll is closed!

Ayumi keeps her lead to the end, topping out with 10 votes. Adol, Bandana Dee, Eggman, and a Rhythm Heaven rep each have nine.

After that... Well, a lot of people have eight. Specifically, Amaterasu, Demi-Fiend, Phoenix Wright, Reimu Hakurei, and Tom Nook. The goal was seven characters, so we'll have to have a tiebreaker. This time, we'll just have the poll on the thread itself. Vote one of them, the highest two win. Poll goes on till 6:00 PM PST, then we can leave the voting behind and actually start off the character exploration.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
Huh didn’t even notice this thread was opened. Wasn’t this supposed to get a sticky? Looks like I missed the initial nomination period, oh well. The starting selections were pretty great anyway.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Huh didn’t even notice this thread was opened. Wasn’t this supposed to get a sticky? Looks like I missed the initial nomination period, oh well. The starting selections were pretty great anyway.
You mean a pin? I was just recommended to start it up now and then we'll see if it's worth pinning or not.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Am I correct in assuming we can all answer questions however we please as long as it's somewhat detailed? Am I also correct in assuming we can gush about the topics? As for the 8 vote tie, maybe just use the alphabetic order
Yep, all questions can be answered and gushing is both allowed and encouraged.

I feel like it's only fair if I let the tiebreaker be a vote, since the whole thing was built on votes. Didn't want to shunt out somebody because their names started with a letter late into the alphabet. At least, that's what I assume you mean.

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman
I've actually thought about stages for some of the characters in the tie-breaker

Tom Nook: New Horizons Island, a flyby stage where you get a good look at the island
Phoenix Wright: The courtroom
Demi-Friend: Vortex World, the main location of Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne. It's basically a dyson sphere and could be like an inverted Mario Galaxy

I'm not familiar with Okami or Touhou so I'd have to do more research

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Hm...

Do we need to go on until six, or would be fine if we shave an hour or two off the wait? About two-thirds of everyone who voted on the initial poll have voted by now, so in a couple hours most of the voters should have given their input by then.

Yiptap

Smash Lord
Hm...

Do we need to go on until six, or would be fine if we shave an hour or two off the wait? About two-thirds of everyone who voted on the initial poll have voted by now, so in a couple hours most of the voters should have given their input by then.
I don't see any problem with that. The poll will most likely be uneventful, considering the circumstances. I could go either way.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Alright, we're cutting down the wait. The poll now ends at 4:00 PM PST, then I'll set a new schedule and we can finally actually start. Keeping it at seven starting characters, so the next group we focus on will also be seven, and so on. Want it to start strong and consistent.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Alright, we're cutting down the wait. The poll now ends at 4:00 PM PST, then I'll set a new schedule and we can finally actually start. Keeping it at seven starting characters, so the next group we focus on will also be seven, and so on. Want it to start strong and consistent.
Excuse me for asking, but I added some nominations of my own just last night. Out of curiosity, would they be added for voting in a potential future poll?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Excuse me for asking, but I added some nominations of my own just last night. Out of curiosity, would they be added for voting in a potential future poll?
There's not gonna be any more polls. After this, we nominate them like in RTC instead. This should be shorter, easier to list, and more fair to smaller characters who wouldn't be able to garner enough support to do well in a poll. The poll was just to get things off the ground, because noms are built up over time and there hasn't been any time to develop any, so we needed a temporary alternative.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Time's up! Our tiebreaker winners are Reimu Hakurei, with six votes, and...

A tie between Pheonix Wright and Tom Nook...

%$#@ it, no more polls. Imma just run this through a randomizer, and...
1620428444426.png

Phoenix Wright is our second winner! Now we can finally move on and actually focus on our characters. Giving about thirty minutes of prep time while I set up the schedule, then we'll dive right in.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Time's up! Our tiebreaker winners are Reimu Hakurei, with six votes, and...

A tie between Pheonix Wright and Tom Nook...

%$#@ it, no more polls. Imma just run this through a randomizer, and...
View attachment 314199
Phoenix Wright is our second winner! Now we can finally move on and actually focus on our characters. Giving about thirty minutes of prep time while I set up the schedule, then we'll dive right in.
Maybe we should've done the wheel from the start...

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Alright, here's our schedule:
  1. Day One - Phoenix Wright
  2. Day Two - Adol Christin
  3. Day Three - Bandana Waddle Dee
  4. Day Four - Reimu Hakurei
  5. Day Five - Dr. Eggman
  6. Day Six - Rhythm Heaven rep
  7. Day Seven - Ayumi Tachibana
This means we're starting off with Phoenix Wright, of Ace Attorney fame!
1620430190252.png

For this day, we'll be discussing Phoenix himself, what a potential pack could bring the Ace Attorney series in general, and how other notable characters could work in Smash as well.
Here's a song to start us off:

Top Bottom