• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Exploration Thread - Day 79: Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)

Pillow

Smash Lord
I think 2 days is fine, I do think it would suck if someone missed a day for a character they wanted to talk about. If anything, I’d say we could do 2/3 characters at once, perhaps united by a common theme though I guess that’s optional.

I’d also like to add that I’m not sure paragraph length should be the method of getting noms, as people unfamiliar with characters will simply have smaller posts but shouldn’t be discouraged from giving even short feedback or bringing up questions / topics of discussion.

Noms:
x5 Jill Stingray

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I think 2 days is fine, I do think it would suck if someone missed a day for a character they wanted to talk about. If anything, I’d say we could do 2/3 characters at once, perhaps united by a common theme though I guess that’s optional.

I’d also like to add that I’m not sure paragraph length should be the method of getting noms, as people unfamiliar with characters will simply have smaller posts but shouldn’t be discouraged from giving even short feedback or bringing up questions / topics of discussion.

Noms:
x5 Sakuna
The main thing about writeups is to reward long posts, which would generally require knowledge of the series. The same goes for gameplay elements, like movesets or stages. Those unfamiliar with the characters are encouraged to ask questions and learn about the series, which is why questions in general give extra noms. In fact, a large portion of the extra noms were derived from asking questions this round.

I'll also note that Sakuna doesn't seem to have a support thread, which is needed to nominate a character. I'd recommend either changing your vote or making a support thread for her so she is viable for nominations.
I thought the deal was you had to at least ask a question to get the 5 noms.

Anyway, Amaterasu x15.
No, the idea was to have 5 noms by default. I think it's more fair that way; Extra noms are more or less a bonus for major contributions, like long explanations to a game or moveset concepts.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
The main thing about writeups is to reward long posts, which would generally require knowledge of the series. The same goes for gameplay elements, like movesets or stages. Those unfamiliar with the characters are encouraged to ask questions and learn about the series, which is why questions in general give extra noms. In fact, a large portion of the extra noms were derived from asking questions this round.

I'll also note that Sakuna doesn't seem to have a support thread, which is needed to nominate a character. I'd recommend either changing your vote or making a support thread for her so she is viable for nominations.

No, the idea was to have 5 noms by default. I think it's more fair that way; Extra noms are more or less a bonus for major contributions, like long explanations to a game or moveset concepts.
Miss me with that, I’ll change the nom

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
So let me get this straight, asking a question and answering a question gets us an extra noms right?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So let me get this straight, asking a question and answering a question gets us an extra noms right?
Asking, yes. I held off on answering question for this round; The main thing was starting a discussion. Though, that's something in consideration for future rounds. Should answers be awarded extra noms?

homdertalia

Smash Cadet
I heard we're nominating characters so I nominate Jill Valentine, Filia from Skullgirls, any of the Danganronpa protagonists, Marco Rossi and Gordan Freeman.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I heard we're nominating characters so I nominate Jill Valentine, Filia from Skullgirls, any of the Danganronpa protagonists, Marco Rossi and Gordan Freeman.
I take it that's one point for each? Everyone has five points to nominate by default; You can pour them all into a single character, or spread them out across multiple.

FazDude

Smash Master
I'm gonna just use up all my points in one fell swoop.
  • Two points towards Sans (Undertale)
  • Two points towards Freddy Fazbear (Five Nights at Freddy's)
  • One point towards Dart Monkey (Bloons Tower Defense)

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Alright, the noms are in. Here's the list:

Quote - x25
LoL rep - x15
Amaterasu - x15
Isaac (TBoI) - x10
Masked Man - x10
Farmer - x10
Euden - x10
2B - x10
Jill Stingray - x5
Agumon - x5
Laharl - x5
Frisk - x4
Sans - x2
Freedy Fazbear - x2
Alucard - x1
Jill Valentine - x1
Fillia - x1
Danganronpa rep - x1
Marco Rossi - x1
Gordon Freeman - x1
Dart Monkey - x1

The nomming period is over. Now for the next character of focus: Everyone's favorite legacy-bearing action RPG hero, Adol Christin!
1620609434986.png

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Alright, the noms are in. Here's the list:

Quote - x25
LoL rep - x15
Amaterasu - x15
Isaac (TBoI) - x10
Masked Man - x10
Farmer - x10
Euden - x10
2B - x10
Jill Stingray - x5
Agumon - x5
Laharl - x5
Frisk - x4
Sans - x2
Freedy Fazbear - x2
Alucard - x1
Jill Valentine - x1
Fillia - x1
Danganronpa rep - x1
Marco Rossi - x1
Gordon Freeman - x1
Dart Monkey - x1

The nomming period is over. Now for the next character of focus: Everyone's favorite legacy-bearing action RPG hero, Adol Christin!
View attachment 314471
Word of advice: I know the thread is still young, but at some point, try grouping the noms into different groups, specifically the Top 7 since that'll be the next week.

Anyway, Ys time!

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Word of advice: I know the thread is still young, but at some point, try grouping the noms into different groups, specifically the Top 7 since that'll be the next week.

Anyway, Ys time!
Yeah, I was mainly leaving it the way it was because we just got the ball rolling. Next time around I think there should be enough to start grouping things properly.

amageish

Smash Master
any of the Danganronpa protagonists
whispers You may enjoy my thread on this subject...

Anyway, Adol confirmed for the day!

I'll admit that my Ys knowledge is... vague! I know that it and Hylide are the pioneers of the ARPG genre, but I lack knowledge that about the game's lore... and really anything beyond its role in games history... Oh, and that its music is very good! I know its music is very good.

So, uh, let's start off with some moveset chatting, shall we? Do we think Adol would come with some sort of ARPG-y fighter gimmick to celebrate the franchise's legacy and influence?

SKX31

Smash Master
YS. (couldn't resist the pun :roll: )

All right, so gotta ask:

Would Mr. "I Am Speed" likewise be fast in the air? Mythra's fast both on the ground and in the air - I'm mentioning her since Adol might play somewhat similarily to her (albeit not with "FORESIGHT!" and maybe not with very weak-individually-but-can-string-to-50% stuff).

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Okay, this is slightly awkward since I actually know the answer to this, but I figured I would ask anyway for those who don't: who is Nihon Falcom, and why are they a big deal?

Wait, are we even allowed to ask questions we already know the answers to?

Pillow

Smash Lord
So as someone unfamiliar with Ys I wanted to ask fans of the series specifically how Adol should be interpreted to set himself apart from the other JRPG characters already in Smash? Aesthetically he sort of looks like a FE character, and it’s hard not to compare him to Roy specifically as another red headed speedy swordsman.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
I don't know about Falcom and Winter Soldier too, all I know is that Nippon Ichi Software America localized their game and I kid you not someone thought that going to take a spot for an actual NIS rep.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
whispers You may enjoy my thread on this subject...

Anyway, Adol confirmed for the day!

I'll admit that my Ys knowledge is... vague! I know that it and Hylide are the pioneers of the ARPG genre, but I lack knowledge that about the game's lore... and really anything beyond its role in games history... Oh, and that its music is very good! I know its music is very good.

So, uh, let's start off with some moveset chatting, shall we? Do we think Adol would come with some sort of ARPG-y fighter gimmick to celebrate the franchise's legacy and influence?
So as someone unfamiliar with Ys I wanted to ask fans of the series specifically how Adol should be interpreted to set himself apart from the other JRPG characters already in Smash? Aesthetically he sort of looks like a FE character, and it’s hard not to compare him to Roy specifically as another red headed speedy swordsman.
Well, it depends. The series has shaken up the formula a fair bit over the course of the series, though it doesn't have many major gimmicks beyond just the fast-paced gameplay. Here's a couple notable mechanics:
  • The Bump System of the original games. It'd basically be like permanent Impact Run, maybe tuned down a tad.
  • Regenerating health. Not as broken as it sounds; It only works if Adol's standing still and hasn't taken damage recently. If anything, it'd be a small easter egg.
  • Weapon switching. In Ys VI, Origin (Via the EX Adol variant) and Ys Seven, Adol can choose between one-handed swords, greatswords, and rapiers. It's possible for Adol to have multiple weapons to switch between, though it's not something he's regularly depicted with
  • The Boost Mode from the Oath in Felghana, Origin, and IX. In the latter two, it basically functions as a stat boost, while in OiF it extends his six-hit combo string into a ten-hit one while keeping the same general duration and basically making him spaz the hell out as you mash the attack button
I think the most consistent thing that could be translated is giving Adol more multi-input normals, like with Meta Knight and Bayonetta. Make him focused on getting in there and landing as many hits as possible, rather than focusing on spacing and/or heavy swings. Bonus points if they take the Down Thrust and make it a multihit move like in the Ark-style games, rather than a single hit like most stall-and-falls.
YS. (couldn't resist the pun :roll: )

All right, so gotta ask:

Would Mr. "I Am Speed" likewise be fast in the air? Mythra's fast both on the ground and in the air - I'm mentioning her since Adol might play somewhat similarily to her (albeit not with "FORESIGHT!" and maybe not with very weak-individually-but-can-string-to-50% stuff).
That's a good question, actually. Ys games are usually fairly grounded, but if we're using Mythra as an example, that shouldn't matter because XC2 doesn't seem to have much aerial combat. Still, Ys games are generally pretty fast-paced, so I'd imagine Adol would be fast both grounded and airborne to allow him to keep moving around and dishing out combos.

NinJeds

Smash Rookie
So what is the general consensus on Falcom’s Legacy? I’ve heard of Trials and Ys before but I don’t know much else about them
(Just curious).

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Okay, this is slightly awkward since I actually know the answer to this, but I figured I would ask anyway for those who don't: who is Nihon Falcom, and why are they a big deal?

Wait, are we even allowed to ask questions we already know the answers to?
So what is the general consensus on Falcom’s Legacy? I’ve heard of Trials and Ys before but I don’t know much else about them.
Long version:

Short version:
Falcom was a major player in the development of computer games, action-RPGs, and JRPGs as a whole. They developed Dragon Slayer, largely agreed to be the first ARPG and one of the earliest JRPG, beating out even Dragon Quest. Falcom themselves are among the oldest existing game developers, starting up in 1981. In addition, they were one of the first to have a dedicated, named sound team to write music for their games; Falcom Sound Team jdk. Heck, they even have live performances of their songs, helmed by JDK Band.

An interesting little tidbit is that they were also some of the first to have a licensed band perform music to promote their game; Specifically, they had the band Anthem write the song Xanadu in preparation for the release of the game of the same name. Have a listen:

D

Deleted member

I’ve only played Ys VIII and Origin, but it’s enough for me to fall in love with series. Looking forward to IX this summer & the other Ys games I’ll pick up when I eventually get a good PC/get ported.

Moveset ideas? I’m biased towards Flash Guard and Flash Move because they were so fun in VIII, but they are a relatively new addition to the series. If they were included I’d imagine the community would collectively rage over another swordfighter getting Foresight, and one that would trigger Oomph off of parries to boot. They’d be super cool to use though so I wouldn’t complain, although I am biased as a Mythra main :4pacman:.

Overall though the number one thing an Adol moveset would nail is combo extensions, and that’d be enough to differentiate him from the swordies already present in Smash. Bayonetta is the most obvious comparison to make here, but with more free flowing movement like ZSS.

Also I’m pretty sure today is the last day Ys VIII is on sale on the eShop for now, so consider buying it if you’re even moderately interested in Adol, Ys, or action RPGs. The gameplay, music, and story are all very good imo, and a game where the act of just moving around is fun is always something to watch for.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

What could Adol's stage be?

also, can he swap to car form?
I’m pretty certain it would be Darm Tower.
CFF3C193-6991-4B7E-8159-882D3A3FB3DE.jpeg

There’s lots of different floor types the stage could shift to, with the Devil’s Corridor in the middle and finishing at the summit. iirc it goes something like standard, water, fire, spooky hell, sand, Rado’s annex, spookier hell, and then a mirror area before the summit. At least in Ys Origin. It might be different in Ys I. The Devil’s Corridor is a super memorable area that deals damage over time by playing eerie music, so it’d have to be included in some capacity. Most of the other floor types could be cut out or randomized per tower ascension though.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I’m pretty certain it would be Darm Tower.
View attachment 314497
There’s lots of different floor types the stage could shift to, with the Devil’s Corridor in the middle and finishing at the summit. iirc it goes something like standard, water, fire, spooky hell, sand, Rado’s annex, spookier hell, and then a mirror area before the summit. At least in Ys Origin. It might be different in Ys I. The Devil’s Corridor is a super memorable area that deals damage over time by playing eerie music, so it’d have to be included in some capacity. Most of the other floor types could be cut out or randomized per tower ascension though.
Per this; It says a lot that this place even appeared in multiple games at all, what with Ys' episodic nature. Every game Adol and Dogi go to a new place, usually with the Romun Empire following along, sometimes finding Eldeen artifacts lying around. Any place that turns up in the series a second time is definitely iconic to the series.

In regards to the changes made between Ys I and Origin, much of the latter's elements were made up. Ys I's Darm Tower was mostly just an ominous tower. That being said, quite a few key items and bosses came back, to the point that I'd recommend playing Ys I and II before Origin just to get all the references (Plus the fact that it's by far the least graphics-intensive game in the series). Out of the returning stages, it did bring back the Devil's Corridor, Rado's Annex, and mirror maze, plus the section that warps you to a different place until you get the required artifact.

After Darm Tower, I'd go with the Isle of Seiren. It's the location of Ys VIII, and the Castaway Village could give us some nice cameos. Also the fact that it'd fit really well with the game's first overworld theme, which is also one of the best in the series:

Top Bottom