• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Exploration Thread - Day 79: Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)

amageish

Smash Master
So, Axel time! I'm not super familiar with Streets of Rage mechnically, but the series definitely has a strong legacy and a rockin' OST.

How do we think he'd bring the Streets of Rage gameplay into Smash? That seems to be a big concern with the fighting-game-and-fighting-game-related characters thus far...

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
How do we think he'd bring the Streets of Rage gameplay into Smash? That seems to be a big concern with the fighting-game-and-fighting-game-related characters thus far...
I think it wouldn't be so bad in this case. Beat-em-ups have the fighting game flair and aesthetic but not all the joystick twirling that Smash players sometimes don't like.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
ive heard that at least in SOR4 you use up some of your health to do powerful moves, so is that the sort of thing youd want to be brought over to smash or do you think it be best left alone?

Paraster

Smash Lord
ive heard that at least in SOR4 you use up some of your health to do powerful moves, so is that the sort of thing youd want to be brought over to smash or do you think it be best left alone?
I'd be interested in a concept like that. We already have Flare Blitz, but giving someone multiple moves like that and making them the core of the moveset would be cool.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Yeah, as has been said, I think it'd be fine. Streets of Rage does have inputs, but they're pretty simple and are not at all central to the gameplay, so it can pretty easily be translated to Smash, I think. If anything, I could see Axel having a focus on chaining attacks together and such. Combos are also a notable element of SoR (and frankly beat-em-ups in general)'s gameplay (especially in 4), so I think he could end up being a pretty combo-oriented character
Oh yeah! The usage of special moves in SoR tends to have some connection with the player character's health, but the exact method varies from game to game:
  • I don't remember how SoR 2 did it
  • SoR3 had a cooldown meter for your specials, but instead of outright not being able to use them before it filled back up, you'd get a bit of damage as punishment
  • In SoR4, you'll always gain damage for it either way but you can gain your health back by beating up mooks within the next few moments
So there's more than one way they could incorporate that general concept. I will say I think they'd have to make his specials pretty strong as a tradeoff so that it isn't just a pointless handicap

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Oh yeah! The usage of special moves in SoR tends to have some connection with the player character's health, but the exact method varies from game to game:
  • I don't remember how SoR 2 did it
  • SoR3 had a cooldown meter for your specials, but instead of outright not being able to use them before it filled back up, you'd get a bit of damage as punishment
  • In SoR4, you'll always gain damage for it either way but you can gain your health back by beating up mooks within the next few moments
So there's more than one way they could incorporate that general concept. I will say I think they'd have to make his specials pretty strong as a tradeoff so that it isn't just a pointless handicap
interesting. certainly would be unique

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Before the day's over, what are Axel's potential moves? I know he has beat-em-up combos and juggles and the Grand Upper, but that's the extent of my knowledge.
Scuse me for taking this long to reply!

So Grand Upper is 100% Axel's most iconic move, but there's a plethora of other potential, really:
  • First off, I do think there's a good chance pickup items might be involved in his moveset. I could see him just whipping out a lead pipe or something for a smash attack, so that also beefs up his moveset potential
  • Besides Grand Upper, his two other big classic moves are Dragon Wing (where Axel swings his fist around in a circular motion) and Dragon Smash (where Axel whips out a barrage of fists before finishing you off with an uppercut)
  • Streets of Rage 4 gave him some new moves as well. Some that come to mind are Dragon Dive (where he descends in the air with a rolling attack followed by a punch) and Dragon Burst (his big "super" in the game). The real ****, though, comes in with the game's DLC which gave him a ton of new moves. Some of them include Tiger Knee (where he jumps up and knees you one at a time), Tornado Kick (which is basically a Tatsumaki Senpukyaku), and Spirit Blade (where he summons out a ****ing energy blade)
  • Finally, I could see his Final Smash somehow incorporating the special attack everyone has in SoR1, where he calls upon a SWAT car that fires an explosive. It's only appeared in the first and fourth games, but it's pretty cool
So yeah! That's a pretty good summary of Axel's moveset potential

Last edited:
Top Bottom