• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Exploration Thread - Day 79: Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)

Paraster

Smash Lord
I love Cave Story.
If Quote broke the laws of physics and got into Smash I'd lose it probably lol. Especially if Curly got half the palette swaps.

I would imagine him to function similarly to Mega Man and Min Min where he can run and gun with/ftilt/nair/jab/etc.
The big thing to consider is if they would incorporate a weapon switch, like Min Min's ARMS for example, or instead allow him to utilize all of his equipment for set attacks.
There is a custom workshop character someone made of Quote in Rivals of Aether, that centers on the latter concept. They designed him so he has a level up system as well, and every attack is affected by it.

I figure the more "Sakurai" approach would be trying to give Quote access to weapon switching with a couple key ones. Maybe like the: Polar Star (a Standard Projectile), Fireball (affected by gravity), and Machine Gun (automatic fire but probably weaker with limited ammunition as a result). So moves like Jab, Ftilt, Up Tilt, Nair, Up Air, and Down Air are specifically used to fire these weapons. That way we also have access to Machine Gun's jump boosting at level 3 which I think is absolutely necessary lol.
Then using other weapons for specific other attacks.
Objectively speaking I think a Level Up system would also be required, probably similar to how it was pulled off in the Rivals of Aether custom character, where it's increases or decreases depending on damage done or taken. But I'd assume it would be just limited to these three projectiles, or maybe each one has a separate meter? It might be too complex if you gave them individual meters imo.

I figure the character would rely very heavily on projectiles meaning characters with means of reflecting and absorbing projectiles would be dangerous. He would also lose to characters that can apply pressure easily since he'd would have pretty notable blind spots in close quarters (similar to Min Min).
It's generally tradition for actors to reprise roles in Japanese culture, so I'm doubtful the actors from Blade Strangers would be outright replaced. That said, I think it makes more sense for them to be mute, and to pull a lot of sound effects from the original game. Maybe a hurt sound could simply be the damage sfx that plays.
I think the Outer Wall would be the most interesting option. It's arguably the most iconic local and it's technically the title screen so it's pretty recognizable as a result.
The most interesting thing about it, as the video thumbnail displays, is that the left side is literally a wall, with smaller platforms on the right side of stage existing to allow the player to scale it.
In Smash I figure it wouldn't be 1 to 1 in terms of platform placement, but I figure the layout is unique enough for them to give it some real consideration.
Hmm. I never considered a weapon-switch mechanic. The Polar Star, Fireball, and Machine Gun are probably simple yet distinct enough to make it plausible...I might try fleshing this concept out.

I can't believe I never brought up the Machine Gun's hover; that's a MUST for the down air.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
A personal issue I've always had trying to build a moveset for Quote is that if you try to "standardize" him it doesn't really fit the character.
Like in Blade Strangers Quote and Curly both fight using physical strikes on top of their various projectiles, but I have a hard time really visualizing this because the characters literally THROW their Blade lol.
Though the nature of that game (as a normal 2d fighter) kinda required traditional fighting game normals so it gets a pass.

But seeing as the character has to naturally act as a projectile fighter you run into the logistic issue of properly balancing them as a result. Do you make the projectiles easily clankable? Is the character just really slow then?
The issue of speed also comes into question when you consider the probable Up Special in Booster 2.0, because now your slow zoner probably has some of the best burst movement options in the game. Which IMO is kind of a must have for the character too. Booster 2.0 movement is probably one of the most defining gameplay elements in Cave Story, despite it being very late game.

That's probably another reason that I feel, despite really clamoring for the characters to be playable, I kinda fear for that they'd either be too strong or weak if applied properly lol
Because you have to choose between risking the projectiles being too strong or making everything have little to no hitstun, making Quote play cat and mouse until he can risk throwing something stronger out at them to KO (which he logistically could do if he had access to Booster 2.0).

For other Specials, if we assume he used Polar Star, Fireball, and Machine Gun in weapon switching...
We could probably say the Bubbline could be one of the remaining two specials and the Blade or Nemesis taking another spot. I'd would GUESS the Nemesis because it'd probably be a notable tool to use at lower levels, so it being an easy access special move as opposed to like "bair" might be a better design decision to consider for the player.
---
Also side note, a color palette for Curly based on Samus, while not probable if Quote and Curly share a character slot, would still be funny.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
It seems we've said all that needs to be said, so here's the noms:
  • 50+ noms
  • Farmer - x70
  • Masked Man - x70
  • Agumon - x60
  • Jace - x55
  • 26-50 noms
  • Maxwell - x35
  • Frisk - x34
  • Pyramid Head x30
  • 11-25 noms
  • Amaterasu - x25
  • 2B - x25
  • Chosen Undead - x20
  • Estelle Bright - x15
  • Master Hand - x20
  • Saber - x20
  • Laharl - x20
  • Mega Man X x15
  • Isaac (Golden Sun) - x15
  • Shovel Knight - x15
  • Trauma Center Content - x12
  • 5-10 noms
  • Miriam - x10
  • Daitoryo - x10
  • Battletoads - x10
  • Elma - x8
  • Amiya - x5
  • Gunvolt - x5
  • Octoling - x5
  • Jill Stingray - x5
  • Astral Chain rep - x5
  • Nathan Drake - x5
  • Crash Bandicoot - x5
  • Carl Johnson - x5
  • Under 5 noms
  • Sans - x2
  • Freedy Fazbear - x2
  • Alucard - x5
  • Jill Valentine - x1
  • Fillia - x1
  • Danganronpa rep - x1
  • Marco Rossi - x1
  • Gordon Freeman - x1
  • Dart Monkey - x1

This time around, I'm not counting the answers. I think I'll have to hold a poll to finally settle on whether or not we should count answers towards extra noms.

Anyways, time to talk about LIGHT HEARTS DARKNESS K E Y B L A D E

In other words, Sora
1621574408937.png

Nomination: Miriam x15

Pillow

Smash Lord
While I know Sora could come with only KH original content, I’m genuinely curious - would you guys actually mind if he brought Disney content with him? Despite what anyone says, I’ve always felt the Disney Worlds are integral to the series, and their complete absence in Smash would feel off.

Noms:
Jacex10

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Don't know anything about KH but can anyone give me a run down on how many special abilities that he has because I know he has a ship ton not including the different keyblade?

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Sora is one of the characters that seems to have a following on par with Geno and Crash, and for the utter APEX of good reasons. I've only played a little bit of Kingdom Hearts (I have The Story So Far, but stopped after the difficulty spike that was the KH1 boss on Captain Hook's ship), but from what I've played thus far, it more than deserved its following.

Sora could be a very interesting character: you end up in the air for a majority of battles, so I can imagine him having some aerial dominance. As for Magic, Sora has more than a few options, probably on par with Hero. He's got a metric ton of abilities and Keyblades to fight with, the latter of which could no doubt be changed via pallet swaps, and if we're gonna be really nuts, add Donald and Goofy as Ice Climber-style assist characters.

The stage could most certainly be Traverse Town, which is basically the home base of Kingdom Hearts 1 and one of the most identifiable parts of the game that isn't Disney.

Speaking Disney content, I'll just put this in a collapsable:

There is one thing I can argue in favor of including Mickey Mouse's signature head: Advent Children. We've got more content originating from movies in FF7 than literally any other franchise in Smash. With all the content Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children has in Smash Bros right now, that's the concern for non-video game content thrown out the window. As for if Disney would comply...they may be greedy and opportunistic in the worst way possible, but they aren't stupid. A majority of the time. I'm sure Disney recognizes that Smash is one of the biggest crossovers in the game industry and that Nintendo is one of the biggest gaming giants on the planet. I've also seen some concerns about Disney buying Nintendo because of Sora being in Smash, but in my honest opinion, Nintendo's way out of Disney's ballpark as far as acquisition goes. Disney's net worth is $122 billion, while Nintendo's $95 billion, so the latter's about 25% smaller than Disney but gottverdammt, they're just too close in size. I mean, compare this hypothetical scenario to Microsoft buying Zenimax: the former's $1 trillion while the latter's only $3 million. That's a big enough gap for Microsoft to buy them out last year. The point is that Nintendo's more strapped than anyone Disney has ever bought cash-wise, so nothing to worry about.

Well, that's one wall of text done with.

Noms:
Pyramid Head x5

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
There is one thing I can argue in favor of including Mickey Mouse's signature head: Advent Children. We've got more content originating from movies in FF7 than literally any other franchise in Smash.
I feel like with the case of Advent Children at least that movie is an adaption of a video game, which is Final Fantasy 7, Disney however is the opposite along with many other franchises debuted as an animation heck, we already past that boundaries with Pokemon since it took heavy inspiration from the anime (Pokemon says their name, Mewtwo and Lucario can speak because of their debut movie, and etc.) I mean Sora is a video game only character, you don't see him in the new DuckTales Tv show nor even a cameo at that, KH is basically a fanfiction became reality with Disney and Final Fantasy as the foundation kinda like how 50 Shades of Gray is a Twilight fanfiction

If pokemon got the Advent Children treatment I would really really want the Japanese opening song from the new anime (1 • 2 • 3 by After the Rain) but I know that's more farfetched considering the songs from Advent Children is just remix of an already preexisting music.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m a big fan of Kingdom Hearts. While Sora isn’t my most wanted character from that series, he could still be a lot of fun. My first question is what version of Sora would you like to see get in? They could all have a valid case but I’d like to see him based on Kingdom Hearts II based on his drive forms. At the very least, I think the drive forms could make for some cool alternate outfits.

x20 Battletoads

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
What could Sora's stage be? Lots of Smash fan games and mods have a KH location called "Dive to the Heart" which is a large glass tower with Sora's face on it. Is it particularly relevant to the series?

Masked Man x15, delete below post.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
What could Sora's stage be? Lots of Smash fan games and mods have a KH location called "Dive to the Heart" which is a large glass tower with Sora's face on it. Is it particularly relevant to the series?

Gengar84

Smash Hero

Yeah, that is the very first area of the original Kingdom Hearts before you officially begin the game in Destiny Islands. That area mostly serves as a tutorial and location where you choose your strengths and weaknesses but you do fight a boss named Darkside there. It is a very simple stage pretty similar to Final Destination so I could see Sakurai going with it over other locations for that reason.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord

Yeah, that is the very first area of the original Kingdom Hearts before you officially begin the game in Destiny Islands. That area mostly serves as a tutorial and location where you choose your strengths and weaknesses but you do fight a boss named Darkside there. It is a very simple stage pretty similar to Final Destination so I could see Sakurai going with it over other locations for that reason.
I feel like that is too similar to Kalos Pokemon League considering both is a glass tower, have different form/art of the glass and is tournament legal, with Kalos having the added benefit of having a background than a black void. Is there any other location fitting for his stage? my first thought is Destiny Island.

All noms for Gran/Djeeta from Granblue.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I feel like that is too similar to Kalos Pokemon League considering both is a glass tower, have different form/art of the glass and is tournament legal, with Kalos having the added benefit of having a background than a black void. Is there any other location fitting for his stage? my first thought is Destiny Island.

All noms for Saber.
Kingdom Hearts has a bunch of great and original locations for a stage. I could see Destiny Island, Twilight Town, Traverse Town, or the Keyblade Graveyard as possible alternatives but there are a lot more that could also work well. I honestly never even pictured Dive to the Heart as a tower. I always thought in was just floating plates in a dark void.

My second question is about music. Since Kingdom Hearts has such an amazing soundtrack overall, it’s hard to narrow down the selection of songs for Smash. I’d love if we got another Castlevania situation with a ton of songs but I’m not banking on that with Square’s track record. What songs would you like to see make it? My personal favorite track is Darkness of the Unknown (The final Xemnas battle).

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Okay, so people have already mentioned the Disney thing, but would they use Sora as an excuse to add more Final Fantasy content?

Noms: Agumon x10

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Okay, so people have already mentioned the Disney thing, but would they use Sora as an excuse to add more Final Fantasy content?

Noms: Agumon x10
Nah, KH put much emphasis on Disney moreso than Final Fantasy, if I'm correct they only appear in the game as a guest character mostly and treated them like one.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Nah, KH put much emphasis on Disney moreso than Final Fantasy, if I'm correct they only appear in the game as a guest character mostly and treated them like one.
I’m still disappointed that Final Fantasy was completely absent from the base game of Kingdom Hearts III. Final Fantasy was the reason I got into Kingdom Hearts in the first place since I was such a big Final Fantasy fan at the time. I thought a crossover between Final Fantasy and Disney sounded really cool. Unfortunately, it never really panned out that way and they’ve been scaling back the FF content with each game to the point that it’s totally absent.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
I’m still disappointed that Final Fantasy was completely absent from the base game of Kingdom Hearts III. Final Fantasy was the reason I got into Kingdom Hearts in the first place since I was such a big Final Fantasy fan at the time. I thought a crossover between Final Fantasy and Disney sounded really cool.
I feel like Final Fantasy is just an inspiration from the start, the addition of 7, 8 and 10 cast in the game feels like it work as a little boost for the series considering that, if I'm correct, at that time that entry is really popular.

Paraster

Smash Lord
Noms:
Frixk x10
Cadence (Crypt of the NecroDancer) x20

Sora seems like he'd be really fun. It'd be cool to play as someone so fast-paced and with so many flashy attacks.

I kinda would prefer seeing Sora in the base game so that we could see a Palutena's Guidance discussing Sora's affinity for light in relation to Palutena.

If we got a Sora trailer that showed him fighting a lot in CG, who would you like to see him fight?

(Also, it doesn't seem the thread's title has been updated yet.)

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Noms:
Frixk x10

Sora seems like he'd be really fun. It'd be cool to play as someone so fast-paced and with so many flashy attacks.

I kinda would prefer seeing Sora in the base game so that we could see a Palutena's Guidance discussing Sora's affinity for light in relation to Palutena.

If we got a Sora trailer that showed him fighting a lot in CG, who would you like to see him fight?

That's a bit tricky, I don't wanna be uncreative and just continue the WoL trailer but I feel like with how KH as a series is there's no denying it could be that.

(Also, changing my noms from Saber to Gran/Djeeta)

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Noms:
Frixk x10

I think it would have to be Sephiroth. The Sephiroth battles were hugely iconic to the series and really memorable so it only seems fitting for Sora’s Smash trailer if he is going to be fighting anyone.

On a related note, who else would you like to see from the series if Kingdom Hearts ever got a second character? Xemnas is one of my favorite video game characters ever so I think a transformation/stance style character between Master Xehanort, Ansem, and Xemnas could be awesome and represent all three mainline villains in one character.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
I think it would have to be Sephiroth. The Sephiroth battles were hugely memorable from the first two games so it only seems fitting for Sora’s Smash trailer if he is going to be fighting anyone.

On a related note, who else would you like to see from the series if Kingdom Hearts ever got a second character? Xemnas is one of my favorite video game characters ever so I think a transformation/stance style character between Master Xehanort, Ansem, and Xemnas could be awesome and represent all three mainline villains in one character.
3 of them are the same person? Forgive because I don't have the greatest memory. Roxas is my choice but I know he's just going to be relegated to Echo status and I doubt he's an alt costume. Speaking of alt costume what're y'all choice for Sora's recolor? I remember from one of the entry of the series Sora's outfit changes color based on what keyblade he wielded, that's an easy resource.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
3 of them are the same person? Forgive because I don't have the greatest memory. Roxas is my choice but I know he's just going to be relegated to Echo status and I doubt he's an alt costume. Speaking of alt costume what're y'all choice for Sora's recolor? I remember from one of the entry of the series Sora's outfit changes color based on what keyblade he wielded, that's an easy resource.
Kind of, yes. It’s a little confusing but I’ll try to explain what I understand. Xehanort is the original person while Ansem is his heartless and Xemnas is his nobody. They basically all started out as one person but split off to become their own characters.

Paraster

Smash Lord
I'd say Riku because I have a soft spot for heroic characters who wield darkness. Bonus points if they have him wield Way to the Dawn instead of Braveheart or Soul Eater; I LOVE that thing's design.

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Does anyone know the story behind Sora being pulled off from a certain game? From sound of it, that's how Marvel vs Capcom 2 got pulled from store.

Ryza: Nom x 10

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Does anyone know the story behind Sora being pulled off from a certain game? From sound of it, that's how Marvel vs Capcom 2 got pulled from store.

Ryza: Nom x 10
That's how licensing goes, though Sora's case was merely DLC in World Of Final Fantasy, not the entire game like with MvC, Heritage of the Future, Ducktales Remastered,etc

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
OOOoooh, boy, I've been waiting for this!
Sora (KH3).png

Sora
Lights the Way!

These videos are old, but they do give logical reasons both for and against Sora in Smash.
Intro: Sora appears from a save point and gets into his fighting stance

Stance/Idle 1: Sora holds his Keyblade near his right hip and looks around
Idle 2: Sora rests his Keyblade on his right shoulder for a second
Idle 3: Sora bares his teeth in the direction he's facing

Notable Palette Swaps:
  1. KH3 outfit (default)
  2. KH2 outfit (alternate costume)
  3. Riku (KH3 black)
  4. Roxas (KH2 white/red)
  5. Kairi (KH3 pink)
  6. Limit Form
  7. Donald Duck (KH3 blue)
  8. Goofy (KH2 green)
Walk: His walk from the games when in combat
Jog: His run from the games when in combat
Dash: Sora rests the Keyblade on his shoulders while running
Damage: His damage animation from the games
Jump: High Jump and Doubleflight
Crouch: Crouches down on one knee with his Keyblade pointing forwards

Normal Attacks
Jab: Speed Slash; Sora slashes twice (2% each hit, small knockback), and then does a quick circular slash (3%, OK knockback)
Forward+A: Slapshot; Sora performs a sideways uppercut with his Keyblade (5%, OK knockback)
Down+A: Sliding Dash; Sora performs a slide across the ground, slightly farther than Cloud’s but takes a bit more windup (7%, OK knockback)
Up+A: Upper Slash; Sora swings his Keyblade upwards (6%, OK knockback)

Aerial Attacks
Air+A: Magnet Burst; Sora briefly surrounds himself with an array of magnetic orbs that attract nearby opponents (3%). Pressing A again, if necessary, sends these orbs flying out (9%, OK knockback)
Air Forward+A: Aerial Finish; Sora performs a strong slash with a millisecond of windup (11%, OK knockback)
Air Back + A: Aerial Sweep; Sora slashes behind himself three times (8%, small knockback)
Air Up+A: Hurricane Blast; Sora performs three vertical moonsaults (9%, OK knockback)
Air Down+A: Diving Strike; Sora pauses for a bit before diving down and striking the ground with his Keyblade (11% with a meteor effect, OK knockback); he can slightly move to the left or right just before he dives

Dash Attack: Prism Windmill; Sora spins Keyblade in front of him, protected by a shield of light (8%, OK knockback)
Edge Attack: Last Charge; Sora lifts himself up and slams down to create a pillar of light (11%, OK knockback)
Get-up Attack: Vicinity Break; Sora sweeps the floor with his Keyblade in a 360 spin (9%, OK knockback)

Smash Attacks
Forward+A: Strike Raid; Sora throws his Keyblade forward as it spins (21%, medium knockback). This attack can be slightly angled in the direction the control stick is titled, and goes a bit further when the stick is flicked.
Up+A: Ripple Drive; Sora swings upwards and summons a barrier of light with rectangular patterns (21%, medium knockback)
Down+A: Explosion; three orbs of light surround Sora as he thrusts his Keyblade down to the ground (22%, medium knockback)

Grab Game
Grab: Sora casts Magnet and binds the opponent
Pummel: Sora headbutts the opponent with that thick skull of his (2%)
Forwards+Throw: Quick Blitz; Sora hops up and swings in a downward arc (9%, OK knockback)
Down+Throw: Fail-Safe; Sora spins once before tossing the opponent on the ground, leaving a small explosion (8%, small knockback)
Back+Throw: Merge; Sora spins around backwards before hurling the opponent in that direction (11%, OK knockback)
Up+Throw: Lunge n' Launch; Sora hops and slashes upwards to launch the opponent (10%, OK knockback)

Special Moves
B : Magic Selection
; Sora can select a magic spell from his list, similar to the Hero. Once a spell is selected, it will stay on that spell until another is selected, which can be done on the fly. You can cancel the selection by pressing the Shield button.
  • Firaga: Sora summons two rings of fire that encircle him (11%, OK knockback)
  • Blizzaga: Sora shoots three snowflakes that have a chance of freezing the opponent (5% each, small knockback); using this in the air has Sora shoot them diagonally downward
  • Thundaga: Sora summons electricity from his Keyblade that locks on to any nearby fighters, up to three at a time (7%, small knockback)
  • Aeroga: Sora surrounds himself in a windy barrier that halves damage taken and reflects projectiles; the spell lasts for 18 seconds
  • Curaga: Sora heals up to 150% taken damage, and can also heal allies in team battles by ⅓ regardless of how far away they are. This spell can only be used once per stock.
B + Forwards : Sonic Blade; Sora swiftly thrusts left and right up to six times with consecutive button presses (3%-4% each hit, small knockback) and finishes with a much more powerful thrust (7%, OK knockback); you can tilt the control stick to move either left or right, and the attack is faster on the ground
B + Up : Airstep; Sora travels in the pointed direction at the speed of light after releasing B (holding it slows him down for six seconds)
B + Down : Ars Arcanum; Sora charges up and unleashes a flurry of ten slashes (1.3% each hit, OK knockback), then finishes with three stronger slashes (5.2% each hit, OK knockback); the charge is canceled when the player lets go of B

Final Smash: Ragnarok; Sora jumps up and fires 24 shots of energy that home in on every opponent on the stage (2% each, small knockback)

Gimmick: Grand Magic; after pulling off successful combos, three arrows appear by Sora's HUD, one by one. Once a combo is successful with all three arrows, a command appears above Sora's icon, and pressing B will activate one of four Grand Magic spells, which are obtained by using one spell consistently. Only one Situation Command appears at a time, and that spell will appear for 20 seconds.
  • Firaza has Sora summon a giant fireball that travels offscreen when it doesn't hit any opponents (27%, medium knockback)
  • Blizzaza has Sora summon an actual blizzard that freezes every opponent on the stage for a bit (20%, small knockback)
  • Thundaza has Sora rain down a pillar of electricity in front of him (25%, medium knockback)
  • Aeroza has Sora summon a tornado that circles around him, sending opponents flying (20%, far knockback)
  • Whenever you use a Grand Magic tier of a spell, that spell enters a 15-second cool down period
Taunts
1: Sora wipes his nose and smiles
2: "My friends are my power!" Sora puts his hand to his chest and looks down
1+2: Sora performs performs the Funny Face Special

Winposes
1: "That's the power of the Keyblade!" Sora's first victory animation from KH1, whenever he wins a tournament in Olympus Coliseum
2: “Nothing to it!” Sora's second victory animation from KH1, whenever he wins a tournament in Olympus Coliseum
3: “Oh yeah, take that!” Sora's third victory animation from KH1, whenever he wins a tournament in Olympus Coliseum; however, at the end of this version, Sora strikes a very familiar pose

Applause: Sora claps for the opponent
Icon: The heart and crown in KH series logo
Boxing Ring Title: Guardian of Light
Star K.O.: https://youtu.be/XgtJ3E5-I_A?t=558
Victory Music: A remix of Sora's theme
Kirby Hat: Sora's hair and necklace
:ultpit:: Who’s that? He’s got brown, spiky hair, just like me!
Viridi: Who? The kid in the clown shoes?
:ultpalutena:: That’s Sora, one of the chosen wielders of the Keyblade. He’s traveled through multiple worlds battling an all-powerful evil known as the Heartless.
:ultpit:: “Heartless”? Don’t you mean “heartless monsters?”
:ultpalutena:: Well, yes and no. “Heartless” is the name for these monsters.
Viridi: Oh, yeah, I’ve heard of those guys! Pretty sure they’re like the Subspace Army, except they rip people’s hearts out!
…Well, kinda.
:ultpalutena:: However, the Heartless have only one fear: the Keyblade itself. Sora has defeated every one he’s encountered during his several adventures throughout the universe, along with countless other adversaries.
:ultpit:: Wow, he must be really really cool! I wanna know the story between him and his key thing!
:ultpalutena:: We can talk about it after the battle, Pit. It’s a pretty long story.
(fights characters from different 3rd party companies, almost travelling to different video game worlds)
Round 1: :ultsnake::ultsimon::ultrichter: on Dracula’s Castle (Vampire Killer)
Round 2: :ultsonic::ultbayonetta: on Green Hill Zone (Green Hill Zone)
Round 3: :ultmegaman::ultryu::ultken: on Wily Castle (Mega Man 2 Medley)
  • Each character is fought one at a time in a Stamina Battle (Sora has 150HP, while his opposition has 100HP)
Round 4: :ultpacman: on PAC-LAND (PAC-MAN’S PARK / BLOCK TOWN)
Round 5: :ultcloud: on Coliseum Ω (Fight On!)
  • 150HP Stamina Battle
Round 6: :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu: (horde battle) on Mushroom Kingdom (Vim and Vigor)
Final Round:
Master Hand.png
(and
Crazy Hand.png
, on 7.0 or higher) on Station of Awakening Ω (The Encounter)
(Spirit Battles listed here)
  1. Sora (KINGDOM HEARTS III) (Fighter Spirit)
  2. Sora (KINGDOM HEARTS II) (Fighter Spirit)
  3. Shadow (KINGDOM HEARTS) (:ultgnw::ultkirby:, ★)
  4. Riku (Sora and :ultmario:, ★★★)
  5. Kairi (Sora x3, ★★)
  6. Naminé (:ultrosalina:, ★★)
  7. Axel (:ultroy:, ★★)
  8. Marluxia (:ultcorrinf::ultsheik:, ★★★)
  9. Roxas (Sora, ★★★)
  10. Xion (Sora, ★★)
  11. Aqua (Sora, ★★★)
  12. Terra (:ultmetaknight:, ★) -> Lingering Will (★★★★)
  13. Ventus (Sora, ★★)
  14. Young Xehanort (:ultganondorf:x13, ★★★) -> Master Xehanort (★★★★)
  15. Donald Duck & Goofy (Sora and :ultduckhunt:, ★★★★) (I know this is pretty pie-in-the-sky but let me dream)
  1. Mr. Frosty (Color 7)
  2. Krystal (Color 7; :ultfox: is a minion)
  3. Raikou, Entei & Suicune (Colors 4, 1 and 7)
  4. Lugia (Color 7)
  5. Micaiah (default; :ultike:(Color 2) is a minion)
    • Defeat the main fighter to win
    • The enemy (Sora) favors neutral specials (Curaga) when badly damaged
    • The enemy (Ike) will suddenly have a Final Smash
  6. Sakura (Fire Emblem) (Color 5)
  7. Gamma (default)
  8. Pete (Color 8)
    • The enemy favors neutral specials (Aeroga)
    • The enemy is easily distracted by items
    • Dangerously high winds are in effect
  9. Rex (Color 7; :ultpyra: is a minion)
  10. Igor (Color 3)
  11. Bubbles (default)
Noms: Crash Bandicoot x5

Last edited:

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Kingdom Hearts for me is one of those games that I know a lot about, but only from watching LPs of it.

Personally, when I try to think of a stage for the series, it always comes down to a choice between Hollow Bastion or Twilight Town. They're big recurring locations that aren't really similar to any stage currently in Smash. But I'm not sure what their layouts would be for either of them. Do y'all have any ideas on that front?

Paraster

Smash Lord
(fights characters from different 3rd party companies, almost travelling to different video game worlds)
Round 1: :ultsnake::ultsimon::ultrichter: on Dracula’s Castle (Vampire Killer)
Round 2: :ultsonic::ultbayonetta: on Green Hill Zone (Green Hill Zone)
Round 3: :ultmegaman::ultryu::ultken: on Wily Castle (Mega Man 2 Medley)
  • Each character is fought one at a time in a Stamina Battle (Sora has 150HP, while his opposition has 100HP)
Round 4: :ultpacman: on PAC-LAND (PAC-MAN’S PARK / BLOCK TOWN)
Round 5: :ultcloud: on Coliseum Ω (Fight On!)
  • 150HP Stamina Battle
Round 6: :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu: (horde battle) on Mushroom Kingdom (Vim and Vigor)
Final Round: View attachment 316001 (and View attachment 316000, on 7.0 or higher) on Station of Awakening Ω (The Encounter)
I actually really like that Classic Mode. Simple yet effective.
Kingdom Hearts for me is one of those games that I know a lot about, but only from watching LPs of it.

Personally, when I try to think of a stage for the series, it always comes down to a choice between Hollow Bastion or Twilight Town. They're big recurring locations that aren't really similar to any stage currently in Smash. But I'm not sure what their layouts would be for either of them. Do y'all have any ideas on that front?
I know there's a fanmade Smash game that did a Twilight Town stage.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
Sora would be a lot of fun. I didn’t play KH for the longest time, but then my friend got me the whole collection. I’ve played I, II, Birth by Sleep, and the beginnings of Dream Drop and Chain of Memories (lol not finishing that last one). Late-game KH2 has one of my favorite combat systems period, so tbh Sora would be really cool.

In regard to whether he’d need Disney content, I think there’s more than enough original material to make a full Challenger Pack without needing to pull from Disney stuff (if that’s what they want to do). I could see a cheeky reference or two, like Sora’s classic mode victory screen being him hanging out with the Duck Hunt duo as a reference to Donald & Goofy, though.

If I got to pick his alts, I’d make them based on his Forms. I only know his KH2 ones, and even just those have sick designs. In-game they all have different playstyles, but tbh I’d be fine with them being used as just alts — I think incorporating a Form mechanic into his Smash moveset might get rather complicated.

Stage-wise, I’d probably go with Hollow Bastion. It’s a major location in both KH1 and 2, in addition to being a KH-original area. My friend who got me into the series would like to see Scala ad Caelum (I hope I’m spelling that right, I haven’t played 3 yet) for its visual design, so I guess I’ll throw that out there too.

Noms: 2B x20

Technomage

Smash Champion
Here's a topic about a series that hasn't gotten much talk in regards to reps: An Etrian Odyssey character.

Some of the suggested reps I've seen include the Protector from Etrian Odysseys 1 and 2, and the Highlander from Etrian Odyssey Ulntold, but my preferred pick for a rep from that series would be the Imperial from Etrian Odyssey 4 (since I love vibroblades). I haven't finished my moveset idea for it, but here's a great deal of it:

Attributes:

• Heavyweight
  • Slow move speed
  • Low jump height
  • High falling speed
  • Strong attack power
  • Disjointed hitboxes
  • Drive attacks deal a high amount of damage and knockback

Special Attributes:

• Overheat Meter:

• Fills up whenever you use a "Drive" attack (excluding Overdrive), and cannot use those attacks unless its empty
    • Trying to use a Smash Attack while overheated instead causes you to perform its respective Tilt counterpart
    • Naturally lowers by itself every second, but can be lowered further by certain moves
    • Sword attacks deal more damage while overheated
    • Uses some moves from other classes that use regular swords, since Drive Blades can use those moves, too

Moveset:

• Neutral Special:
    • Frost Edge
    • A stronger, slower version of Pyra's Flame Nova (but spins around swinging the sword physically instead of telekinetically), but with an ice element instead of a fire element
    • Fills the Overheat Meter depending on how long it's been held
    • Cannot be used while overheated
  • Side Special:
    • Shock Drive
    • A stronger, slower version of Ike's Quick Draw, but with an electric element to it
    • While Overheated, uses Charge Edge, a weaker version of the Drive attack with no electric element
  • Up Special:
    • Flame Drive
    • A stronger, slower version of Cloud's Climhazzard, but with a fire element to it; also, the second hit has more range due to fire explosion that generates upon hitting the ground
    • Fills the Overheat Meter, filling it even more if the second part of the attack is performed
    • While Overheated, uses Massive Edge, a weaker version of the Drive attack with no fire element; also, the second hit instead generates a shockwave, upon hitting the ground, that deals typeless damage
  • Down Special:
    • Accel Drive
    • An aerial slamming move similar to the likes of Bowser's Bowser Bomb, Yoshi's Yoshi Bomb, and Mii Brawler's Head-On Assault, but even stronger with its hit having more range upon hitting the ground due to the light explosion it generates
    • Fills the Overheat Meter
  • Final Smash:
    • Overdrive
    • The Imperial slams its Drive Blade onto the ground, and then many powerful red lasers erupt from the ground, damaging any opponents in their path.
  • Neutral Attack:
    • Sharp/Cool Edge
    • A two-hit jab; the first being Sharp Edge, the second being Cool Edge
    • Both hits reduce Overheat status when they hit an enemy (with Cool Edge offering a slightly higher reduction)
  • Forward Tilt:
    • Double Strike
    • Two sword slashes
    • A two-hit move similar to Snake's Forward Tilt
    • Normally used by the Landsknecht class in EO 4, but can be used by Imperials if they have the Landsknecht as their subclass
  • Up Tilt:
  • Down Tilt:
    • Trip Edge
    • Low sword swing in front of user
  • Dash Attack:
    • Sonic Raid
    • A typical dashing sword attack
    • Normally used by the Landsknecht class in EO 4, but can be used by Imperials if they have the Landsknecht as their subclass
  • Forward/Up/Down Smash:
    • Assault Drive
    • Basically like the Smash attacks used by Ike and Ganondorf, but slower and stronger, with more range
  • Neutral Air:
    • Spiral Slice
    • Similar to Cloud's Neutral Air
  • Back Throw:
    • Throws the opponent backwards, then strikes the opponent with the Drive Blade
  • Shield Special:
    • Heat Sink
    • Increases the speed of reduction of the Overheat Meter when held

Alternate costumes would consist of all four Imperial character portraits and their alternate colors, like in these pics:

1621610202969.jpeg

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Here's a topic about a series that hasn't gotten much talk in regards to reps: An Etrian Odyssey character.

Some of the suggested reps I've seen include the Protector from Etrian Odysseys 1 and 2, and the Highlander from Etrian Odyssey Ulntold, but my preferred pick for a rep from that series would be the Imperial from Etrian Odyssey 4 (since I love vibroblades). I haven't finished my moveset idea for it, but here's a great deal of it:

Attributes:

• Heavyweight
  • Slow move speed
  • Low jump height
  • High falling speed
  • Strong attack power
  • Disjointed hitboxes
  • Drive attacks deal a high amount of damage and knockback

Special Attributes:

• Overheat Meter:

• Fills up whenever you use a "Drive" attack (excluding Overdrive), and cannot use those attacks unless its empty
    • Trying to use a Smash Attack while overheated instead causes you to perform its respective Tilt counterpart
    • Naturally lowers by itself every second, but can be lowered further by certain moves
    • Sword attacks deal more damage while overheated
    • Uses some moves from other classes that use regular swords, since Drive Blades can use those moves, too

Moveset:

• Neutral Special:
    • Frost Edge
    • A stronger, slower version of Pyra's Flame Nova (but spins around swinging the sword physically instead of telekinetically), but with an ice element instead of a fire element
  • Side Special:
    • Shock Drive
    • A stronger, slower version of Ike's Quick Draw, but with an electric element to it
    • While Overheated, uses Charge Edge, a weaker version of the Drive attack with no electric element
  • Up Special:
    • Flame Drive
    • A stronger, slower version of Cloud's Climhazzard, but with a fire element to it; also, the second hit has more range due to fire explosion that generates upon hitting the ground
    • Fills the Overheat Meter, filling it even more if the second part of the attack is performed
    • While Overheated, uses Massive Edge, a weaker version of the Drive attack with no fire element; also, the second hit instead generates a shockwave, upon hitting the ground, that deals typeless damage
  • Down Special:
    • Accel Drive
    • An aerial slamming move similar to the likes of Bowser's Bowser Bomb, Yoshi's Yoshi Bomb, and Mii Brawler's Head-On Assault, but even stronger with its hit having more range upon hitting the ground due to the light explosion it generates
    • Fills the Overheat Meter
  • Final Smash:
    • Overdrive
    • The Imperial slams its Drive Blade onto the ground, and then many powerful red lasers erupt from the ground, damaging any opponents in their path.
  • Neutral Attack:
    • Sharp/Cool Edge
    • A two-hit jab; the first being Sharp Edge, the second being Cool Edge
    • Both hits reduce Overheat status when they hit an enemy (with Cool Edge offering a slightly higher reduction)
  • Forward Tilt:
    • Double Strike
    • Two sword slashes
    • A two-hit move similar to Snake's Forward Tilt
  • Up Tilt:
  • Down Tilt:
    • Trip Edge
    • Low sword swing in front of user
  • Dash Attack:
    • Sonic Raid
    • A typical dashing sword attack
  • Forward/Up/Down Smash:
    • Assault Drive
    • Basically like the Smash attacks used by Ike and Ganondorf, but slower and stronger, with more range
  • Neutral Air:
    • Spiral Slice
    • Similar to Cloud's Neutral Air
  • Back Throw:
    • Throws the opponent backwards, then strikes the opponent with the Drive Blade
  • Shield Special:
    • Heat Sink
    • Increases the speed of reduction of the Overheat Meter when held

Alternate costumes would consist of all four Imperial character portraits and their alternate colors, like in these pics:

1621610202969.jpeg
That's great and all, but the current discussion isn't suitable for this kind of post as we're currently discussing Sora. You can nominate an Etrian Odyssey character if you want, though. You just gotta contribute to the current discussion first.

Technomage

Smash Champion
That's great and all, but the current discussion isn't suitable for this kind of post as we're currently discussing Sora. You can nominate an Etrian Odyssey character if you want, though. You just gotta contribute to the current discussion first.
Okay, but can you let me know when I can talk about EO?

Moving onto Sora: I think it'd be cool/funny if Palutena's Guidance on Sora were to reference Disney characters.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Okay, but can you let me know when I can talk about EO?

Moving onto Sora: I think it'd be cool/funny if Palutena's Guidance on Sora were to reference Disney characters.
The best way to make sure you can talk about characters you want is to ask questions about the character currently being discussed (in this case, Sora). The more questions you ask, the more points you get to put towards the next character to talk about. Each character gets around a day but it can be extended if conversation is active. You can tell who is currently being discussed by the topic title.

Technomage

Smash Champion
The best way to make sure you can talk about characters you want is to ask questions about the character currently being discussed (in this case, Sora). The more questions you ask, the more points you get to put towards the next character to talk about. Each character gets around a day but it can be extended if conversation is active. You can tell who is currently being discussed by the topic title.
Okay, let me try: Has anybody mentioned a "gimmick" that Sora could get?

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Someone made a great Spirit Board concept art for KH.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion

That's neat, though I'd personally add Braig to the list, too.

Perkilator

Smash Legend

Yeah, that was from a while ago and I thought it was pretty cool. My only complaint is the over-abundance of Legend Spirits.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I've seen some suggestions for Sora being able to switch between multiple different spells rather than just having one for each special, like how the spells work in Kingdom Hearts proper. I suppose we could also implement the Drive forms, but from what I can gather those are entirely different movesets from Sora's base form and might cause complications.

Anyways, SmashBoard's favorite Sora question: Could/should we add Roxas, Xion, and/or Ventus as alts, Echoes, or semiclones (Assuming anything more than alts are possible in this scenario)? After all, they are partially Sora (It's a loooooong story...)

Gengar84

Smash Hero
The best idea for a gimmick is to base Sora on his Kingdom Hearts 2 incarnation and use his drive forms. another option is he could have a gimmick that transforms him into his heartless form occasionally where his offense would go up but his defense would drop.

Last edited:
Top Bottom