• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Exploration Thread - Day 79: Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Seems interesting enough. How would a Yggdrasil Labyrinth stage work? Would it be a different layout every time you select it, like with Super Mario Maker? Would it be a traveling stage where you go to different layouts?

Technomage

Smash Champion
Seems interesting enough. How would a Yggdrasil Labyrinth stage work? Would it be a different layout every time you select it, like with Super Mario Maker? Would it be a traveling stage where you go to different layouts?
Maybe a travelling stage? Like one where you travel through the stratums of EO1's Yggdrasil Labyrinth, going from the Emerald Grove (grassy intro stratum) to the Primitive Jungle, then to the Azure Rainforest (forest with many oceanic aspects), then to the Sandy Barrens, and finally to Lost Shinjuku, the ruins of the Metropolitan Government Building found in the Shinjuku district of Tokyo. Then the stage loops back.

PS: The devs probably would not be able to include the Claret Hollows, since that does not look like a kid-friendly location.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Okay, here's some info on the Imperial (including its moveset), from the support page I made for it:

The Imperial is a class from the dungeon-crawling JRPG series Etrian Odyssey; a class that unleashes ludicrously powerful attacks using a vibrating, engine-powered sword called a Drive Blade, the most notable weapon in the Etrian Odyssey games.

What kind of playstyle could the Imperial bring (besides using a sword, for those that are tired of sword users)? Well, probably one where the Imperial unleashes slow, but highly-damaging strikes that take a while to be used consecutively. Here's the moveset I came up with for it:

Attributes:

• Heavyweight
  • Slow move speed
  • Low jump height
  • High falling speed
  • Strong attack power
  • Disjointed hitboxes
  • Drive attacks deal a high amount of damage and knockback

Special Attributes:

• Overheat Meter:
    • Fills up whenever you use a "Drive" attack (excluding Overdrive), and cannot use those attacks unless its empty
    • Trying to use a Smash Attack while overheated instead causes you to perform its respective Tilt counterpart
    • Naturally lowers by itself every second, but can be lowered further by certain moves
    • Sword attacks deal more damage while overheated
    • Uses some moves from other classes that use regular swords, since Drive Blades can use those moves, too

Moveset:

• Neutral Special:
    • Frost Edge
    • A stronger, slower version of Pyra's Flame Nova (but spins around swinging the sword physically instead of telekinetically), but with an ice element instead of a fire element
    • Fills the Overheat Meter depending on how long it's been held
    • Cannot be used while overheated
  • Side Special:
    • Shock Drive
    • A stronger, slower version of Ike's Quick Draw, but with an electric element to it
    • While Overheated, uses Charge Edge, a weaker version of the Drive attack with no electric element
  • Up Special:
    • Flame Drive
    • A stronger, slower version of Cloud's Climhazzard, but with a fire element to it; also, the second hit has more range due to fire explosion that generates upon hitting the ground
    • Fills the Overheat Meter, filling it even more if the second part of the attack is performed
    • While Overheated, uses Massive Edge, a weaker version of the Drive attack with no fire element; also, the second hit instead generates a shockwave, upon hitting the ground, that deals typeless damage
  • Down Special:
    • Accel Drive
    • An aerial slamming move similar to the likes of Bowser's Bowser Bomb, Yoshi's Yoshi Bomb, and Mii Brawler's Head-On Assault, but even stronger with its hit having more range upon hitting the ground due to the light explosion it generates
    • Fills the Overheat Meter
    • Cannot be used while overheated
  • Final Smash:
    • Overdrive
    • The Imperial slams its Drive Blade onto the ground, and then many powerful red lasers erupt from the ground, damaging any opponents in their path.
  • Neutral Attack:
    • Sharp/Cool Edge
    • A two-hit jab; the first being Sharp Edge, the second being Cool Edge
    • Both hits reduce Overheat status when they hit an enemy (with Cool Edge offering a slightly higher reduction)
  • Forward Tilt:
    • Double Strike
    • Two sword slashes
    • A two-hit move similar to Snake's Forward Tilt
    • Normally used by the Landsknecht class in EO 4, but can be used by Imperials if they have the Landsknecht as their subclass
  • Up Tilt:
    • Basically Ike's Up Tilt
  • Down Tilt:
    • Trip Edge
    • Low sword swing in front of user
  • Dash Attack:
    • Sonic Raid
    • A typical dashing sword attack
    • Normally used by the Landsknecht class in EO 4, but can be used by Imperials if they have the Landsknecht as their subclass
  • Forward/Up/Down Smash:
    • Assault Drive
    • Basically like the Smash attacks used by Ike and Ganondorf, but slower and stronger, with more range
  • Neutral Air:
    • Spiral Slice
    • Similar to Cloud's Neutral Air
  • Forward Air:
    • Sword thrust forward
  • Back Air:
    • Sword thrust backward
  • Up Air:
    • Overhead sword swing
  • Down Air:
    • A stall-then-fall attack similar to Toon Link's, but with a downward slash instead of a stab
  • Grab:
    • Grabs opponent with the left hand
  • Pummel:
    • Typical knee strike
  • Forward Throw:
    • Forward sword stab, then pushes opponent off with foot
  • Back Throw:
    • Throws the opponent backwards, then strikes the opponent with the Drive Blade
  • Up Throw:
    • Upward jumping sword slice
  • Down Throw:
    • Throws opponent onto the ground, then stomps on them with an armored boot
  • Shield Special:
    • Heat Sink
    • Increases the speed of reduction of the Overheat Meter when held

Alternate costumes would consist of all four Imperial character portraits and their alternate colors, like in these pics:

1621610202969.jpeg

Battle Entrance: The Imperial gets dropped off by his/her guild's airship.

What is Etrian Odyssey? It is a dungeon-crawling fantasy RPG known for its feature of having players draw their own maps. The story typically involves the player's guild exploring the labyrinth of an Yggdrasil tree (of which there are multiple). It is also unique in that it is also a post-apocalyptic future version of the real world.
That is a really interesting move set. We haven’t really had a character with an overheat mechanic yet. It looks like it could be a lot of fun.

As for my question, I’ve never really played a first person dungeon crawler before but I’m planning on getting Shin Megami Tensai 5. Are the games similar enough that you would recommend trying Etruscan Odyssey if I enjoy SMT?

x20 Scorpion

Technomage

Smash Champion
That is a really interesting move set. We haven’t really had a character with an overheat mechanic yet. It looks like it could be a lot of fun.

As for my question, I’ve never really played a first person dungeon crawler before but I’m planning on getting Shin Megami Tensai 5. Are the games similar enough that you would recommend trying Etruscan Odyssey if I enjoy SMT?

x20 Scorpion
I don't know, because I've never played SMT. Mind telling me what SMT is like?

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I don't know, because I've never played SMT. Mind telling me what SMT is like?
I would but I’ve never played it either lol. The trailers just look cool and I enjoy Persona so I figured I’d give it a shot. All I know is that it’s another first person dungeon crawler.

Technomage

Smash Champion
I would but I’ve never played it either lol. The trailers just look cool and I enjoy Persona so I figured I’d give it a shot. All I know is that it’s another first person dungeon crawler.
I will say this: The original Etrian Odysseys 1 and 2 are VERY difficult and not recommended for beginners. I'd recommend EO 4 and the other later games, since they have adjustable difficulty levels (such as having you sent back to the town instead of sending you to the last save point).

As for combat, it is a turn-based RPG system with random encounters (though it also has non-random enemy encounters on the map called "F.O.E.s", which are minibosses you shouldn't fight until you get stronger, and you should instead avoid in the meantime).

When you defeat enemies, you get item drops from them you can sell to the shop in order to buy new weapons and armor. There are also "conditional drops" that enemies will only drop under certain conditions (such as killing it with a certain attack element).

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Are there specific characters in Etrian Odyssey or just classes?
Mostly just classes, though EO Untold 1 and 2 do have story modes with static, defined party members. I personally prefer the blank slates from custom characters, since there's some satisfaction in building your own characters and stories (and I'd just leave the story, depth, and character development to the side characters).

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
Noms: Hat Kid x15, Heavy x10

Are there any standout Etrian Odyssey songs? Also, how does the series handle continuity and characters? Is each game a separate universe, are they technically canon to each other but disconnected, or do their casts and plotlines persist across games?

Technomage

Smash Champion
Noms: Hat Kid x15, Heavy x10

Are there any standout Etrian Odyssey songs? Also, how does the series handle continuity and characters? Is each game a separate universe, are they technically canon to each other but disconnected, or do their casts and plotlines persist across games?
First up, most of the games do take place in the same universe (even EO5's story is theorized to take place in the same universe, but on Mars). However, they do not have the same cast of characters in each game (except for Nexus, which is like a "crossover" of all the games).

As for songs, here's a big list:

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
What do you think would be a fun classic mode for Imperial? Since the playable units in the game are usually just classes instead of specific characters, how would a route of all avatar characters like Robin, Byleth, Steve, Inkling, and Villager? I’m not sure if there is a more fitting mode than that but that’s the first thing I thought of.

Technomage

Smash Champion
What do you think would be a fun classic mode for Imperial? Since the playable units in the game are usually just classes instead of specific characters, how would a route of all avatar characters like Robin, Byleth, Steve, Inkling, and Villager? I’m not sure if there is a more fitting mode than that but that’s the first thing I thought of.
Well, I was thinking one based off classes and monsters (like Piranha Plant representing the venus flytraps fought in various games), but your idea sounds good, too.

amageish

Smash Master
Okay, we're in ATLUS discussion, ergo we're back into something I'm knowledgeable about haha.

Modern SMT has very little in common with modern EO, honestly. SMT games used to be a first-person dungeon crawler, but they aren't that anymore. They share basic RPG mechanics with one another and sometimes contain crossover easter eggs in terms of character design, but otherwise aren't connected much in form or function. They're actually arguably more connected to Trauma Center, as they randomly share some cast members with that series for... reasons.

Persona Q is a concept crossover with Etrian Odyssey if you're interested in trying them from that angle, but the best way to see if you like Etrian Odyssey gameplay would easily be the demos on the eShop. Every 3DS EO game has a demo and they are the first 4-5 hours of the game in its entirety.

Are there specific characters in Etrian Odyssey or just classes?
Best way to think of Etrian Odyssey is a pen-and-paper RPG sourcebook made into a video game. You make up all the adventurers - naming them, giving them backstories, selecting their design from a set of different sprites. The game provides NPCs, villains, monsters, dungeons, and a set of adventures on which you go.

Now, what about the reveal trailer and tagline? Maybe it could include some Pokemon as a reference to their own dungeon-crawler game series?
Etrian Mystery Dungeon is a collaboration that also happened, though it may be considered awkward to reference that collaboration without any actual Mystery Dungeon content in Smash... or most people being aware that "Mystery Dungeon" is its own IP that Pokemon just crosses over with...

I feel like EO would best be handled like how Pyra/Mythra were - a bait-and-switch trailer that looks like it is an EO trailer before revealing itself to be Smash Bros. People would believe it too, as a new EO project was given a teaser in 2019 (I think?) and we have heard nothing since...

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m not sure whether the units have voice acting in Etrian Odyssey but, if not, do you envision them having a voice or any dialogue in Smash for taunts or victory animations?

Technomage

Smash Champion
I’m not sure whether the units have voice acting in Etrian Odyssey but, if not, do you envision them having a voice or any dialogue in Smash for taunts or victory animations?
Well, the generic custom characters you make don't have any voice acting until Etrian Odysseys 5 and Nexus. As for what voices to give to the Imp, I'm not sure, though I do like the EO5 female voice that says stuff like "Ugh, do I have to?", "Fine", and "Awww, my toy broke."

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Well, the generic custom characters you make don't have any voice acting until Etrian Odysseys 5 and Nexus. As for what voices to give to the Imp, I'm not sure, though I do like the EO5 female voice that says stuff like "Ugh, do I have to?", "Fine", and "Awww, my toy broke."
I like the personality on those lines. For some reason they are giving me strong Disgaea vibes.

amageish

Smash Master
As Technomage said, voices are customizable and so they can be mixed-and-matched with the characters. So, I could see them having several voice options attached to the different alts maybe? I know Robin/Corrin don't do this and also have multiple voices, but the EO ones are much more divergent in their personalities.

Well IIRC, Disgaea is owned by Atlus, who also owns EO. So, that's probably why.
Nah, Disgaea's Nippon Ichi. ATLUS is really just MegaTen and EO when it comes to internally-developed long-running franchises (assuming Trauma Center is effectively over and Catherine's game + enhanced remake don't make it into a franchise). Not that that isn't already a craptonne of games given how many subseries fall under the MegaTen banner, of course.

Also, I didn't post this night to avoid double-posting, but here's the nom list!

50+ noms
Filia (Skullgirls) - x70
Monika - x70
Hearthstone Innkeeper - x65
Laharl - x65
Jill Stingray - x60
Elma - x68

26-50 noms
Estelle Bright - x45
Endo Mamoru - x45
2B - x40
Saber - x40
Hat Kid - x40
Zero Escape Rep - x30
Sir Arthur - x30
Scorpion - x28

11-25 noms
Klonoa - x25
Octoling - x25
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x25
Heavy - x25
Ryza - x25
Shovel Knight - x25
Trauma Center Content - x22
Black Mage - x20
Master Hand - x20
Bubsy - x20
Bill & Lance - x20
Mega Man X - x15
Astral Chain rep - x15

5-10 noms
Chun-Li - x10
Daitoryo - x10
Saber - x10
Axel Stone - x5
Chibi-Robo - x5
9-volt - x5
Gunvolt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Spyro the Dragon - x3
Tracer - x3
Sly Cooper - x3
Chell - x3

GolisoPower GolisoPower , you still have 5 noms, as Chosen Undead was already secured in the schedule when you put 5 noms towards them.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Okay, since it seems that Imperial's day coming close to an end, I'm gonna talk about something important that nobody's talked about yet: Spirits. What would the EO series's spirits be? My picks:

Highlander (EO Untold)
Fafnir Knight (EO2 Untold)
Female Protector (EO1)
Female Gunner (EO2)
Female Sovereign (EO3)
Female Landsknecht (EO4)
Female Lancer (EO5)
Female Hero (EO Nexus)
Elemental Dragons
Forest Rat
Mandrake
Furyhorn
Bushi (all 4 portraits)
Yggdroids (only the male portraits, since I doubt the female portraits would be allowed in)
Visil (evolves into Etreant)
Overlord
Seyfried and Olympia

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
As Technomage said, voices are customizable and so they can be mixed-and-matched with the characters. So, I could see them having several voice options attached to the different alts maybe? I know Robin/Corrin don't do this and also have multiple voices, but the EO ones are much more divergent in their personalities.

Nah, Disgaea's Nippon Ichi. ATLUS is really just MegaTen and EO when it comes to internally-developed long-running franchises (assuming Trauma Center is effectively over and Catherine's game + enhanced remake don't make it into a franchise). Not that that isn't already a craptonne of games given how many subseries fall under the MegaTen banner, of course.

Also, I didn't post this night to avoid double-posting, but here's the nom list!

50+ noms
Filia (Skullgirls) - x70
Monika - x70
Laharl - x65
Jill Stingray - x60
Elma - x68

26-50 noms
Estelle Bright - x45
Endo Mamoru - x45
2B - x40
Saber - x40
Hat Kid - x40
Zero Escape Rep - x30
Sir Arthur - x30
Scorpion - x28

11-25 noms
Klonoa - x25
Octoling - x25
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x25
Heavy - x25
Ryza - x25
Shovel Knight - x25
Black Mage - x20
Master Hand - x20
Bubsy - x20
Bill & Lance - x20
Mega Man X - x15
Astral Chain rep - x15

5-10 noms
Chun-Li - x10
Daitoryo - x10
Saber - x10
Axel Stone - x5
Chibi-Robo - x5
9-volt - x5
Gunvolt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Spyro the Dragon - x3
Tracer - x3
Sly Cooper - x3
Chell - x3

GolisoPower GolisoPower , you still have 5 noms, as Chosen Undead was already secured in the schedule when you put 5 noms towards them.
Ah. Alrighty then. Put the remaining five on Monika then.

amageish

Smash Master
Okay, since it seems that Imperial's day coming close to an end, I'm gonna talk about something important that nobody's talked about yet: Spirits. What would the EO series's spirits be? My picks:

Highlander (EO Untold)
Fafnir Knight (EO2 Untold)
Female Sovereign (EO3)
Female Landsknecht (EO4)
Female Lancer (EO5)
Female Hero (EO Nexus)
Elemental Dragons
Forest Rat
Mandrake
Furyhorn
Bushi (all 4 portraits)
Yggdroids (only the male portraits, since I doubt the female portraits would be allowed in)
Overlord
Seyfried and Olympia
I feel like you kind of need a female Protector and Gunner in there somehwere... While every game obviously has their own boxart character and a few of them have made it into other media (ex/ it's the Sovereign and the Hero that got costumes in Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE), Protector seems like the go-to, even after Untold introduced Highlander as the EO1 lead. Protector gets to be on the cover of Mystery Dungeon; she's the lead in the webcomic; etc, etc.

Gengar84

Smash Hero

50+ noms
Filia (Skullgirls) - x70
Monika - x70
Laharl - x65
Jill Stingray - x60
Elma - x68

26-50 noms
Estelle Bright - x45
Endo Mamoru - x45
2B - x40
Saber - x40
Hat Kid - x40
Zero Escape Rep - x30
Sir Arthur - x30
Scorpion - x28

11-25 noms
Klonoa - x25
Octoling - x25
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x25
Heavy - x25
Ryza - x25
Shovel Knight - x25
Black Mage - x20
Master Hand - x20
Bubsy - x20
Bill & Lance - x20
Mega Man X - x15
Astral Chain rep - x15

5-10 noms
Chun-Li - x10
Daitoryo - x10
Saber - x10
Axel Stone - x5
Chibi-Robo - x5
9-volt - x5
Gunvolt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Spyro the Dragon - x3
Tracer - x3
Sly Cooper - x3
Chell - x3

I believe Altus published the first Disgaea game, which is probably why a lot of people still associate the two.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Not much left to talk about, though I do have an idea for an Etrian Odyssey boss in Smash:

Visil in his Etreant form. I haven't come up with much details, but I did come up with the idea of him only taking damage if the human part of his body is attacked (and that the tree part doesn't take any damage).

Last edited:

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Sorry, I was being obliterated by the power of the Sonic anniversary concert. Here's your noms.

Technomage x25 (30 Total)
GolisoPower x10 (15 Total)
Gengar84 x20 (25 Total)
Paraster x5 (10 Total)
amageish x10 (15 Total)

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Thou who art Undead, art chosen... In thine exodus from the Undead Asylum, maketh pilgrimage to the land of Ancient Lords... When thou ringeth the Bell of Awakening, the fate of the Undead thou shalt know...

The Chosen Undead is the avatar character of the first game in the trilogy of games known as Dark Souls, which you might know as one of the most infamously difficult trilogies of video games of the PS3/360 era of video games. While Demon's Souls kicked off the formula, it's Dark Souls that bolstered the Soulsborne genre to what it is today. In the first game, the Chosen Undead must go through the land of Lordran to face off against Gwyn, the Lord of Cinder, and perhaps end the Age of Fire.

Dark Souls's gameplay is about playing smart and exploiting openings in the game. Along the way, you customize your own Chosen Undead with various weapons, armor, and magic to aid you along the way. The magic is split into three different parts: Sorceries, the long-range magic for when you wanna safely fight from a distance, Pyromancies, the kind of magic where you wanna be up close and personal, and Miracles, magic that's majorly support-based, involving healing, buffs and defenses.

Chosen Undead's moveset, much like his game of origin, would be all about analyzing your foe, waiting for a good opening, and knowing when to push the balance in your favor. With this set, I tried to balance the choreographed, methodical swordplay and the various magic of the game so that he manages to become a unique character that stands out from others.

As far as stages go, Dark Souls has no shortage of beautiful scenery and areas to take place, but there are three candidates that speak out to me: Anor Londo, the glorious light-bathed castle where you fight Ornstein and Smough, Firelink Shrine, the hub world/safe zone of the game, and the Undead Burg, the more popular location for Dark Souls's PvP.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Here's a question you might not expect: Would Solaire of Astora be viable as an alternate costume or echo of the Chosen Undead?

Top Bottom