• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Exploration Thread - Day 79: Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)

Technomage

Smash Champion
In a hypothetical Mr. Sakurai Presents "Sora", I...honestly have no clue. It'd be interesting to hear his thoughts. He's always been rather informative about certain parts related to DLC characters in his presentations (Final Fantasy's music copyright issues, the history of Neo Geo & SNK, technical issues of making Driver & Blade mechanics for Rex & Pyra, etc), so him teaching us about game-exclusive interpretations of non-video game characters would be pretty fun.
Well, Sakurai did add Dracula Vlad Tepes as a boss; then again, would D & G's situation be the same?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Well, Sakurai did add Dracula Vlad Tepes as a boss; then again, would D & G's situation be the same?
I mean, TBF tho, Dracula's public domain, literally anyone is free to make any interpretation of the vampire. Donald & Goofy, meanwhile, are in a different situation. They're owned by one of the most miserly companies in the world copyright-wise, but the ones we see in-game are so drastically different that they're almost crossing the line to being original characters.

BashBro

Smash Rookie
As much as I like the KH2 Drive Forms, my main concern with them and the multitude of other forms is just how much extra work they would require to implement. The Drive Forms change how Sora plays enough to the point that each form could technically be a separate moveset all their own. Unless you pick just one, I just don't see such a thing being very feasible.

Even at one form, Valor for example, let's say with no changes to specials, you'd still have to change all of his ground normals, aerials, and smash attacks. Rather than being just a buff state, it's basically just a separate character locked behind a meter. (Using Valor as the example again; if they were to put that much work into creating a dual Keyblade moveset for Valor Sora, I'd rather just have Roxas.)

It also depends on how far you want to go in properly representing the forms. I imagine most people would be really disappointed if they added Drives that amounted to palette swaps with slight buffs to certain moves/stats. But again, if you actually make the forms accurate, each one has completely different stats, attacks, and movement options.

I can't really speak on KH3 forms as I never used anything but the Kingdom Key, so I never toyed around with the formechanges. I only ever used Second Form, which I think would be far easier to implement, but also a pretty boring option as far as most KH fans are concerned I'd imagine. Plus that's going off the assumption he's based on KH3 Sora.

I know that fans want Sora to get something really unique that sets him apart and also represents KH well, but I just don't think form changes are the way to go.
Honestly, Second Form would be perfect if Smash were to take the form route with Sora. In KH3 it serves the purpose of fan service by providing players with some of their favorite moves from KH1 and KH2, while also being powerful, practical, and flashy. Being easier to implement is just a bonus.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Ansem appears and breaks the opponent's brain by starting off a Xehanort role call
The AT's final attack is that the person who summoned it reveals themselves to be actually half-Xehanort, and then they... put someone in a laser dome or something. I don't remember any good Xehanort attacks.

Actually, an AT that makes the summoner do something is fun design space...

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Off topic, but do you think you could put the week's schedule in the front post? It would make it easier to check who's next.
Added. I'll get to the nomming and day-changing soon; I've been busy today and I just got my first shot, so I'm kinda tired at the moment. I'll start looking into people to help around here for adding up the extra noms and collecting all the nominations in a single day, plus tagging me to change the days.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
I'm pretty late to this topic but something I've been thinking about regarding Sora for a while: After careful consideration, I really think I'd be okay with Spirits or stage background characters using Disney characters, even if those aren't video game original characters. And it's not necessarily because Donald and Goofy in Kingdom Hearts are so so different from their cartoon counterparts. They aren't tbh... but rather Donald and Goofy with magical anime powers have become video game icons in their own right, it just wouldn't feel out of place in the same way Goku would y'know? Anyone else feel this way?

Also as a small side question, how many nominations do I have? Or is it not like the RTC thread where your extra noms carry over to subsequent days if you don't use them? (I still have 10 extra noms on that thread from like a month ago because I keep forgetting to use them lol)

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I'm pretty late to this topic but something I've been thinking about regarding Sora for a while: After careful consideration, I really think I'd be okay with Spirits or stage background characters using Disney characters, even if those aren't video game original characters. And it's not necessarily because Donald and Goofy in Kingdom Hearts are so so different from their cartoon counterparts. They aren't tbh... but rather Donald and Goofy with magical anime powers have become video game icons in their own right, it just wouldn't feel out of place in the same way Goku would y'know? Anyone else feel this way?

Also as a small side question, how many nominations do I have? Or is it not like the RTC thread where your extra noms carry over to subsequent days if you don't use them? (I still have 10 extra noms on that thread from like a month ago because I keep forgetting to use them lol)
Yeah, I have absolutely zero issues with adding Disney characters as spirits or part of Sora’s move set. I used to mod Brawl back in the day so I’m used to playing as characters like Predator, Naruto, Stone Cold Steve Austin, and Spider-Man. I’m pretty much fine with anything.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Forgive me for not being able to manage this thread properly, but it's late and I'm too tired to go back through the thread and tally up the nominations and extra noms tonight. Sora fans, consider yourself lucky; I'm gonna get in contact with everyone who have offered to help run the thread, solidify the rules so there's no confusion, and make sure I'm in a good position for future days, since having the character focuses end at night when I'm tired is not something I can keep up. Starting from tomorrow, I'll work on making sure threadrunning is more consistent and less messy. Please understand.

As compensation, I'm giving everyone who pitches in on this conversation ten free extra noms in addition to the noms they've earned already, even if they've already hit the maximum amount. I hope this makes up for this hiccup in the schedule.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Forgive me for not being able to manage this thread properly, but it's late and I'm too tired to go back through the thread and tally up the nominations and extra noms tonight. Sora fans, consider yourself lucky; I'm gonna get in contact with everyone who have offered to help run the thread, solidify the rules so there's no confusion, and make sure I'm in a good position for future days, since having the character focuses end at night when I'm tired is not something I can keep up. Starting from tomorrow, I'll work on making sure threadrunning is more consistent and less messy. Please understand.

As compensation, I'm giving everyone who pitches in on this conversation ten free extra noms in addition to the noms they've earned already, even if they've already hit the maximum amount. I hope this makes up for this hiccup in the schedule.
That’s totally understandable. This thread is just for fun anyways so I wouldn’t stress out too much about it especially if you have more important things to do. If anything, I’m happy if things get pushed back a bit so Zegram’s day lands on a weekend. I’d love to be able to answer questions thoroughly but I work full time and I’d only be able to give short replies from my phone until 3:30. I’m pretty sure I’m going to have to do the bulk of the answering that day since not a lot of people played Rogue Galaxy.

Technomage

Smash Champion
After reading the rules on the front page, I gotta ask: How do we keep track of points for nominations in this thread?

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
After reading the rules on the front page, I gotta ask: How do we keep track of points for nominations in this thread?
Character point or our point? For our point so far we just submit all the nomination the next day after the last one ended which means everyone is at zero, kinda. I can't elaborate much but wait for Shark.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion

So assuming this includes suggestions, is there a way to make keeping track of points easier? If so, it might be a good idea to do that.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Alright, procrastination over. Next day it is
  • 50+ noms
  • Masked Man - x85
  • Farmer - x80
  • Agumon - x70
  • Jace x65
  • 26-50 noms
  • Pyramid Head x45
  • Frisk - x44
  • Maxwell - x35
  • Battletoads - x30
  • 11-25 noms
  • Amaterasu - x25
  • 2B - x25
  • Miriam - x25
  • Chosen Undead - x20
  • Estelle Bright - x15
  • Master Hand - x20
  • Saber - x20
  • Laharl - x20
  • Gran/Djeeta - x20
  • Mega Man X x15
  • Isaac (Golden Sun) - x15
  • Shovel Knight - x15
  • Trauma Center Content - x12
  • 5-10 noms
  • Daitoryo - x10
  • Cadence - x10
  • Elma - x8
  • Ryza - x5
  • Amiya - x5
  • Gunvolt - x5
  • Octoling - x5
  • Jill Stingray - x5
  • Astral Chain rep - x5
  • Nathan Drake - x5
  • Crash Bandicoot - x5
  • Carl Johnson - x5
  • Under 5 noms
  • Sans - x2
  • Freedy Fazbear - x2
  • Alucard - x5
  • Jill Valentine - x1
  • Fillia - x1
  • Danganronpa rep - x1
  • Marco Rossi - x1
  • Gordon Freeman - x1
  • Dart Monkey - x1
As part of my previously-announced makeup, I'm going all out with noms, accounting for answers and piling on 10 extras for everyone. Even if you didn't participate in Sora's day, you still get ten extra for a total of 15. Have fun going all-out with your noms. I'm also putting the lists up on the original post for the sake of easier reference.

Anyways, now for a rather unorthodox topic in comparison: Isaac! Specifically the Binding of Isaac, not Golden Sun Isaac or Isaac Newton
1621786731135.png

Nomination: Miriam x30

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Alright, procrastination over. Next day it is
  • 50+ noms
  • Masked Man - x85
  • Farmer - x80
  • Agumon - x70
  • Jace x65
  • 26-50 noms
  • Pyramid Head x45
  • Frisk - x44
  • Maxwell - x35
  • Battletoads - x30
  • 11-25 noms
  • Amaterasu - x25
  • 2B - x25
  • Miriam - x25
  • Chosen Undead - x20
  • Estelle Bright - x15
  • Master Hand - x20
  • Saber - x20
  • Laharl - x20
  • Gran/Djeeta - x20
  • Mega Man X x15
  • Isaac (Golden Sun) - x15
  • Shovel Knight - x15
  • Trauma Center Content - x12
  • 5-10 noms
  • Daitoryo - x10
  • Cadence - x10
  • Elma - x8
  • Ryza - x5
  • Amiya - x5
  • Gunvolt - x5
  • Octoling - x5
  • Jill Stingray - x5
  • Astral Chain rep - x5
  • Nathan Drake - x5
  • Crash Bandicoot - x5
  • Carl Johnson - x5
  • Under 5 noms
  • Sans - x2
  • Freedy Fazbear - x2
  • Alucard - x5
  • Jill Valentine - x1
  • Fillia - x1
  • Danganronpa rep - x1
  • Marco Rossi - x1
  • Gordon Freeman - x1
  • Dart Monkey - x1
As part of my previously-announced makeup, I'm going all out with noms, accounting for answers and piling on 10 extras for everyone. Even if you didn't participate in Sora's day, you still get ten extra for a total of 15. Have fun going all-out with your noms. I'm also putting the lists up on the original post for the sake of easier reference.

Anyways, now for a rather unorthodox topic in comparison: Isaac! Specifically the Binding of Isaac, not Golden Sun Isaac or Isaac Newton
View attachment 316224
Aww, I missed by nomination period? Oh well, I'll just wait for the next one.

Now onto Isaac: IDK What would his series emblem be?

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
If I remember isn't TBoI a Nicalis game? It's funny considering we have Quote not tool long ago lol

All noms for Gran/Djeeta

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Oh, we're still able to nom? Well then, I'll be placing all my noms on the Imperial from Etrian Odyssey 4.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
What is The Binding of Isaac about? Never played the game.

Nominations: Agumon x20

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord

Nominations: Agumon x15
it's basically a top-down dungeon crawling game similar in style to 2d Zelda game but it takes place mostly on the dungeon.

here's a comparison

also, how do we resolve the "gross" part of the game, like poop, urine and of course blood synonymous with the game? Like seriously it present everywhere?

Last edited:

Yiptap

Smash Lord
Let's go. Glad to see my boi Isaac make the week. Anyway, I made a Binding of Isaac assist trophy concept not to long ago...
Binding of Isaac Assist Trophy: Mom

(Yes, this could work as a Final Smash, but I think it works best as an assist trophy)
For an Isaac assist trophy, I chose Mom. When she is summoned, the summoner is equipped with a High Priestess tarot card. Then the summoner can throw it at an opponent. If an opponent gets hit with the card, Mom's foot will come down on the opponent hit as she shouts "ISAAC!" If the summoner spends too long holding the tarot card without throwing it, then Mom will put her foot down on the summoner. If the summoner throws the tarot card but nobody gets hit, then Mom will stomp her foot on the location of the tarot card. If the tarot card is thrown off stage, then Mom will stomp her foot down on the farthest point on stage closest to the direction of the side the tarot card was thrown.

also, how do we resolve the "gross" part of the game, like poop, urine and of course blood synonymous with the game? Like seriously it present everywhere?
I don't know about the blood, but it may be possible to not incorporate poop and urine in his moveset.

Noms: Pyramid Head x 20

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Nominations: Agumon x20
Isaac's mother is an over the top fanatic Christian who gets told by God to make Isaac's life miserable, she gets a message to kill Isaac and the kid runs away through the basement. It's a roguelike where every run is different and your goal is to get to the exit of each stage before fighting and killing your mother

GolisoPower

Smash Master
TBoI is another one of those games that I haven't played, but all the same is one of the biggest games in the series. The game has some dark tone and imagery that'd make Hatred and Darksiders look away in shame, but has an ultimate fun factor at the end of the day. Sorry if this is very scant, I just woke up.

Noms:
Pyramid Head x15
Chosen Undead x15

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
TBoI is another one of those games that I haven't played, but all the same is one of the biggest games in the series. The game has some dark tone and imagery that'd make Hatred and Darksiders look away in shame, but has an ultimate fun factor at the end of the day. Sorry if this is very scant, I just woke up.

Noms:
Pyramid Head x15
Chosen Undead x15
I never touched Darksiders but I think you're doing it and Binding of Isaac a major disservice by comparing it to a game that people only care about because of it's controversial nature and nothing else

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
'nother question: Isaac's alts?
Does body disfigurement will up the age rating? because Isaac have a lot of those when equipping certain trinkets, monsters who has the same body shape or other selectable character, and also satanic symbolism

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Y'know, I think I remember seeing someone playing this game on mobile a long time ago. In hindsight, I wonder how their parents felt about them playing this game when you think about just how much mature content is in it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Y'know, I think I remember seeing someone playing this game on mobile a long time ago. In hindsight, I wonder how their parents felt about them playing this game when you think about just how much mature content is in it.
It's funny you say this because I remember the game being planned for the 3ds only for Nintendo to shoot it down because of the religious stuff. Then the game blew the **** up and Nintendo suddenly had interest in the game

Paraster

Smash Lord
Noms:
Cadence x10
Neku Sakuraba (The World Ends With You) x25

The Binding of Isaac is one of those games I don't give much consideration to being in Smash despite my obsession with it. I think that's because of how gruesome the game can be--while its cartoony artstyle mitigates it a lot, there's so much grim and gross stuff that I doubt Nintendo would consider it.

Heck, the game's most iconic item, a shoe-in for a neutral special, is a laser made of blood. I don't think Sakurai would give Isaac Brimstone, but without Brimstone, Isaac would honestly feel kinda incomplete. And this isn't even getting into the religious symbolism--I doubt they'd want to add a spirit of Satan (yes, they added Cuphead's Devil, but Isaac's version is literally named Satan and he has an inverted cross on his forehead; the religious overtones are a bit stronger here).

That said, if Isaac did get in, I think he could make for a good fighter with how many items he could use. Some specific ideas I have that I think are interesting are to give him a Final Smash where he turns into an angel and dunks opponents in a big chest with light beams (referencing his boss fight in the Cathedral) and to give him a taunt where he throws the D6 forward--and if the D6 hits an item, it turns it into a different item (referencing the D6's ability to "reroll" items).

Now onto Isaac: IDK What would his series emblem be?
I'm partial towards a treasure chest myself, given its prominence in both gameplay and the story.
1621792356185.png

'nother question: Isaac's alts?
I second the idea of just using Isaac's other personas. Specifically, I think they'd go with:
Isaac
Magdalene's wig
Cain's eyepatch
Judas's fez
Eve's hair/mascara
Samson's hair/headband
??? (maybe include the X eyes, maybe not)
Demon (similar to Azazel, but based more on the demon version of Isaac from a couple pre-Rebirth endings)

And a question of my own: how likely do you think it'd be for them to include music from the original Flash release and not just Rebirth? Personally, I'd settle for just "My Innermost Apocalypse."

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I never touched Darksiders but I think you're doing it and Binding of Isaac a major disservice by comparing it to a game that people only care about because of it's controversial nature and nothing else
Aye, that's fair. Again, I had just woken up then, so I wasn't thinking straight. That being said, the game, aside from the blood and excrement and the occasional...you know...the game seems to have a very cartoony aesthetic that would throw fans off. They wouldn't know it was from such a dark game, so the reactions to seeing the source material would be hilarious.

Top Bottom