• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

character diversity in early meta

yung kirb

Smash Rookie
i'll be honest. im sick of the tier lists. they're ridiculous and they destroyed early meta character diversity and it feels horrible. things would've been so much funner.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I like tier lists. I especially like it when a rationale is given for the characters' placements. However for me it does not matter a lot since I main R.O.B. anyway no matter how good he turns out to be. I just like looking at them and thinking about them.

Monitoimirousku

Smash Rookie
Do you mean competitively or in general? Competitive players will of course choose more viable characters to play and we still have lots of variety there too. Online I honestly see more cheese characters than top tiers bc the input lag is just so massive.

yung kirb

Smash Rookie
You don't understand. Mew2King made the point about Ultimate for us to be less conservative and just play whoever the hell we want. Now it's mostly the same 10 characters. It sucks.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Luckily for me I do not care whether people obey Mew2King. I main R.O.B. whether Mew2King likes it or not.

Jaro235

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-3773-6120-6819
I agree that tier lists don’t help, but I don’t think it would have changed the fact that people would only use Wolf, Palutena, Lucina, or whatever character is considered top tier. People saw pros use these characters and they wanted try them out for themselves. The moment ZeRo said Wolf was his main was the moment when people started becoming Wolf mains. I am so tired of seeing Wolf or Fox at grand finals!

1FC0

Smash Lord
I get what you are saying. You said "Mew2King made the point about Ultimate for us to be less conservative and just play whoever the hell we want." I just pointed out why that was irrelevant for me.

yung kirb

Smash Rookie
how is that irrelevant when you said "I main R.O.B. whether Mew2King likes it or not.", if anything mew2king would agree with you for playing rob early meta, man

1FC0

Smash Lord
how is that irrelevant when you said "I main R.O.B. whether Mew2King likes it or not.", if anything mew2king would agree with you for playing rob early meta, man
It is irrelevant to me because it has no effect on me.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
In early Brawl, MK and Snake were developed quickly and characters like ICs and Olimar took several years to fully develop.

In early Smash 4, Diddy and Sheik were developed quickly, while characters like Peach and Megaman took a little while to develop (if you ignore the characters super buffed by balance patches).

So in early Ultimate... Kind of see where I'm going here? Look at top 8s from all over the world and you'll see lots of character diversity - very rarely will you see more than 2 of the same character in a top 8, which is something that used to happen a lot in previous games. Give it some time and the characters will develop. With 70+ characters though, it will take a fair bit longer. Just ignore the pro tier lists made for sub goals and whatnot and play who you want.

Top Bottom