• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character customization is back! (Maybe)

Sin Slash

Smash Rookie

With the introduction of the Mii Fighters in the official Smash Blog, comes with it a possible hint at what's to come in relation to character customization. While this could simply be just for the Mii Fighters, I believe it's possible for alternate special moves to come back for all characters. What do you think?

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
I think only Miis will have it this time. It also makes sense for them, given that customization is kinda their thing. Palutena had two of her moves combined into one, and the E3 Direct said that she "now has a set special for each move." I'm betting custom movesets otherwise are out.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I legitimately hope not.

Only because tournaments aren't going to include them, thus my friends and I will never touch them, and all that productivity could be focused on other things.

One of those things that were cool in concept, but in execution, not so much. Limit it to Mii fighters and we're good.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
So are they set miis now? We can’t use our own?

I don’t have my hands on a switch yet, so are miis still a thing?

D

Deleted member

What we really need is a character color palette! Something to change the character colors (Hair, clothing shoes etc) I would be really cool to make Zelda with Hilda's hair color or peach in her possessed form (Paper Mario TYD) !!!

On a side note, I really feel like the miis are overrated at this point. No one uses them, and they are just a waste of space on the roster when someone else could be in their place. (Don't murder me)

Last edited by a moderator:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
The Miis were never given a real chance in 4. The politics of customs are something I don't think we really need to go through right now (it's not a topic that brings me much joy), but when the custom move ban happened, it basically removed any possible future from the Miis. Different tournaments interpreted it differently, but at most events either the Miis were altogether banned or limited to medium size 1111 which made Swordfighter a typical low tier and Brawler and Gunner probably the two worst characters in the game. This meant that if you wanted to main one, at most events you were getting a bad character and even worse unlike maining other low tiers you couldn't even trust you'd consistently have your character at every tournament (like as bad as Ganon was, if you wanted to main him, there was at least a 0% chance any tournament would prevent you from doing so!). Investing into one of them is a high risk move with no real reward. It shouldn't be a surprise the outcome from there was basically literally no one playing them.

In Ultimate things can easily be different. As long as the menu for Miis is non-stupid, there's no reason they wouldn't be fully allowed this time, and any character fully allowed will be approximately equally considered by the competitive scene as any other. No one really cares if Miis are stupid or if other characters are cooler or more beloved outside of Smash; when you're playing seriously, characters are functions and it doesn't matter at all what they represent other than those functions. The Miis represent three characters, and as long as the dynamics of selecting them work out well, the competitive community will give them the same type of shot as any other characters. If they're good, they'll see a lot of play. If they're bad, they won't see much play but won't see particularly less play than other bad characters. It's just the natural way of things, and all else being equal, having multiple sets of specials is just an increased probability that at least one Mii configuration will be good enough to be worth using.

D

Deleted member

So are they set miis now? We can’t use our own?

I don’t have my hands on a switch yet, so are miis still a thing?
You can indeed create Miis on your Nintendo Switch, they are just not in an app, but rather in the options menu.

And well, I believe we'll get the special moves in 3 predetermined sets. Miis were some of my mains in Smash 4, so seeing them return is great.
That said, I wonder how much we can do in terms of costume customization and such.

Please no stat-altering equipment tho, that was a real hazzle.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
I held out hope for customs when the website videos and E3 presentation showed the Miis using multiple specials of the same type. We saw two of Brawler's Up Bs (soaring axe kick and a new move that appears to combine Piston Punch/Helicopter Kick into a not broken attack) and two of Brawler's Down Bs (Head on Assault in an image on the site, and Feint Jump).

But if this is the explanation then I suppose they may truly only exist for the Miis. And that sucks. Custom moves for 70% of the cast already existed before they even began work on the game. Plus one of SSB4's updates was filled with custom move buffs and nerfs so there was interest in making them better around the time they would have been drumming up a project plan for Ultimate.

Good news for Miis though. As they'll be allowed some level of customization in competitive play as long as the implementation isn't garbage. Make it so Mii proportions don't affect their fighter stats and I think we're in business.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Pre-determined special moves could still receive custom variants though. This could include sacrificing damage output for less start-up lag.

Top Bottom