• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Crisis

Pokket

Smash Rookie
Been maining falco for almost a year now. Have you ever questioned the potential of your character? I feel like top players that represent falco do well, so I should be able to do that too later on, but the feeling of getting absolutely destroyed after feeling improvement is giving me some disillusion on my char. Sometimes I feel like I can win, and lot of times I feel like he's lacking in too many areas to be as viable as I want. Part of not wanting to switch characters might be my hard work in the character already, but also that I don't really resonate with other characters. I know the easy answer is “just switch mains” but is there a difference between sticking with it and pushing the limits to get better and just staying with a character In futile efforts?

Last edited:

Coccinelle

Smash Apprentice
Sometimes feeling the same. It can be discouraging when you lose after once again Upsmash did not connect or things like that or because other characters may look overpowered in some areas compared to Falco.
Still maining him for several reasons:
- most stylish and fun
- has some flaws but also unique strengths
- I see him more like a hard to master than a weak character
- playing again and again Falco helps me to improve as a Smash player, much more than some characters that have cheaper options that can be rewarding at low level (eg Wolf for me).
- Falco is not a forgiving character but the matchplan is clear
- some characters may carry you by abusing cheap options at low level, but anyway it does not interest may playing that way, I m not playing Smash for this.
-compared to other characters that I explored, Falco has the best guides (Meta Of Smash, Larry Lurr, great Discord)
- I may be too lazy to learn a new character and put as much efforts as I did with Falco
- I m bad. My GSP is trash. But I know I m improving.
Good luck!

Last edited:

Pokket

Smash Rookie
Sometimes feeling the same. It can be discouraging when you lose after once again Upsmash did not connect or things like that or because other characters may look overpowered in some areas compared to Falco.
Still maining him for several reasons:
- most stylish and fun
- has some flaws but also unique strengths
- I see him more like a hard to master than a weak character
- playing again and again Falco helps me to improve as a Smash player, much more than some characters that have cheaper options that can be rewarding at low level (eg Wolf for me).
- Falco is not a forgiving character but the matchplan is clear
- some characters may carry you by abusing cheap options at low level, but anyway it does not interest may playing that way, I m not playing Smash for this.
-compared to other characters that I explored, Falco has the best guides (Meta Of Smash, Larry Lurr, great Discord)
- I may be too lazy to learn a new character and put as much efforts as I did with Falco
- I m bad. My GSP is trash. But I know I m improving.
Good luck!
Thanks man, good points I appreciate the post

DankChum

Smash Rookie
I'm in a similar boat; Ultimate is the only game that I have had serious character crisis in. There are a few characters that just feel good, but have one or two huge drawbacks that puts me off completely. :ultsheik:, :ultfalcon:, and :ultdoc: are good examples of this, where they have decent toolkits that separate them from the rest, but are hopelessly hindered by basic issues.
I guess that's my other gripe with ultimate: all the characters I like aesthetically have a much better counterpart. :ultlucina: is just a better :ultmarth:, but she isn't very exciting to play as/against because she doesn't have the main draw to her kit like marth does, and everyone and their aunt has a lucina pocket.

Qualudes

Smash Cadet
Falco has a lot of what I like to call "amplitude." Meaning compared to other characters he has way higher peaks, and way deeper valleys. He feels so dominant in some match-ups but gets utterly wrecked in others. Any time I manage to beat a character in his problem match-up category I feel like the opponent beat themselves rather than Falco's kit enabling me to beat them.

I only have like one week total trying to learn this character and he is in elite smash (not that that means anything), but he was the most frustrating character I have gotten into Elite besides Doc. His match-up spread is so damn polarizing. Offline he does feel somewhat more viable as a potential main, but he's definitely better as a counter-pick imho.

Top Bottom