• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Character Competitive Impressions - Tourneys, Tiers, Theories, Tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.

BetaDjinn

Smash Rookie
If smash 4 is any indication, smash 5 will be the same issues unless is a reboot, you can't expect a 50+ roster be perfectly balanced the time and money is simply not worth, you can ask to every single other fighting game developer (Capcom,Arc system,namco,Ed boon,) how difficult is to balance a fighting game and still developing say game.

If some think that because a :4sheik: or:4zss: is in grand finals the tournament is not worth, then that one should question itself why are he or she is watching smash 4, because that is saying that the game is not worth of watching unless there are other characters, yes not the playstyles,not level of play, not the player's , not the strategies, not the mind games, not the mechanics, if all you can see during a GF is what character is on the screen then this game is not for you.
Yeah if those two really bum you out that much you probably don't like the game.

Which is understandable honestly because the gameplay isn't particularly compelling.

Considering 'balance' and 'character diversity' are probably the biggest selling points of this game at a competitive level, it's pertinent that the last patch make the game very well balanced. If that doesn't happen, then you'll get to watch the entrants and viewer numbers decline quickly.

Real talk: This game's competitive scene has basically ridden on the coattails of Melee and the occasional bone thrown from Nintendo. If Nintendo support stops there will be pretty much be no reason for Sm4sh to be anything more than a side event, and from there the numbers will simply plummet.

Edit: I realize that this post is definitely looks like a red topic so I'll elaborate. The main point I'm trying to make is that the next patch is essential for the long term success of this game. Sheik is THAT bad, bad enough to seal this game's fate as the next Brawl. I'm not trying to say that there's no reason to like this game over Melee.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Correction, Shaky is talking about running ZSS as a secondary. My bad. His latest tweet talks about how ZSS is a good secondary for Ness. Huh!

(Assuming I am reading this properly, this leaves Ito as the only one, and it's understandable. MK vs. Sheik looks hard if the Sheik plays the MU proper. Harder than most top chars vs. Sheik tbh)

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
If smash 4 is any indication, smash 5 will be the same issues unless is a reboot, you can't expect a 50+ roster be perfectly balanced the time and money is simply not worth, you can ask to every single other fighting game developer (Capcom,Arc system,namco,Ed boon,) how difficult is to balance a fighting game and still developing say game.
No one is expecting "perfect balance", but watching the same two characters dominate national tournaments (and many regional and local ones to boot) and not giving them any serious adjustments for over a year is just negligence.

yes not the playstyles,not level of play, not the player's , not the strategies, not the mind games, not the mechanics
There's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to see the aforementioned playstyles, strategies, mind games, and mechanics with more than just two characters.

Furthermore, this kind of staleness in the meta is bad for the game as a spectator sport overall. Just look what happened to Brawl, where its predecessor still gets streamed at tournaments like G3 while Brawl does not.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Ally isn't DROPPING Mario at all.

Ito is experimenting with Sheik and ZSS (says he'll still play MK, and that he'll prolly come back) and Shaky talked about giving up on Ness.

Ally was the big one ppl were talking about but he literally just debunked it and said he's working on other chars to go with Mario (which, to be fair, is probably a requirement for Mario)
That's how a number of people started in Brawl with MK.

"Oh I just need MK for the MK dittos. I'll stick with so-and-so otherwise."

And then MK absorbed them.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
That's how a number of people started in Brawl with MK.

"Oh I just need MK for the MK dittos. I'll stick with so-and-so otherwise."

And then MK absorbed them.
Meta Knight kind of absorbed everybody and I don't think the situation is remotely comparable. He was like what would happen if you put Sol Badguy with Guilty Gear mechanics and air blocking in SF2 lol.

Or if ST Akuma was tournament legal, A or B.

I also have no idea if you're referring to Ally (who is using Cloud and not Sheik or ZSS) or Shaky/Ito. I'm going to assume the latter.

Regardless, I'm dipping from this thread. We're going in circles and getting literally nowhere with this discussion so I'll wait a week until this cools off.

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Sm4sh has indeed been out for over a year and Sheik and ZSS have been good since the beginning (and I believe both have been nerfed since then, if only slightly) but also remember that a year ago we had Hoo-Hah Diddy running rampant. He was nerfed hard afterwards and that's when the cries for Sheik and ZSS nerfs started being louder. Pretty sure it's been said before that Nintendo is likely doing the process of slowly giving buffs to see if Sheik and ZSS can be handled as they are rather than nerf them immediately. Pretty sure Diddy was similar, like how many patches in was it till Diddy got the big nerf? After APEX but before EVO or maybe even after that? I honestly forget.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Yeah if those two really bum you out that much you probably don't like the game.

Which is understandable honestly because the gameplay isn't particularly compelling.

Considering 'balance' and 'character diversity' are probably the biggest selling points of this game at a competitive level, it's pertinent that the last patch make the game very well balanced. If that doesn't happen, then you'll get to watch the entrants and viewer numbers decline quickly.

Real talk: This game's competitive scene has basically ridden on the coattails of Melee and the occasional bone thrown from Nintendo. If Nintendo support stops there will be pretty much be no reason for Sm4sh to be anything more than a side event, and from there the numbers will simply plummet.

Edit: I realize that this post is definitely looks like a red topic so I'll elaborate. The main point I'm trying to make is that the next patch is essential for the long term success of this game. Sheik is THAT bad, bad enough to seal this game's fate as the next Brawl. I'm not trying to say that there's no reason to like this game over Melee.
1,000 times, THIS.

Melee STILL got more stream views than SSB4 at G3 (like 25,000 compared to 14,000).

SSB4 doesn't have wavedashing and all of the other tricks/glitches Melee has in order to keep the meta developing for the next 15 years.

The only thing SSB4 could have going for it is enough character balance that the variety makes the game compelling to watch. Hell, if SSB4 could get to a point where any of 20 different characters could reasonably be expected to take a national, it'd be in a pretty damn good place.

Really, how long would it be before we've seen every possible bit of meta development happen between ZSS and Sheik and the matchup is basically linear at that point?

And to anyone saying "Sheik only does as well as she does because Zero mains her!", no, you have that BACKWARDS: Zero mains Sheik because Sheik is as good as she is. Zero USED to main Bowser but stopped when it became clear that there were better, more reliable characters out there he could be using.

Meta Knight kind of absorbed everybody and I don't think the situation is remotely comparable.
The situation is ENTIRELY comparable.

A player playing the best character in the game as a secondary is extremely likely to gravitate toward using that character full time as it becomes clear that time invested into their "main" is time wasted when they could instead be labbing with a character with a better matchup spread.

Can people please, please, PLEASE stop with this idea that a character has to be on par with Brawl MK in order to completely ruin a metagame? Please...?!

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
A nerf to Sheik will do not much of a harm to her if well applied. Sheik had many of the properties she has here in Brawl (except for obvious stuff such as her F-Air and Bouncing Fish), how she wasn't High Tier there?
These 50/50 off a grab are what make her so advantegeous compared to the rest of the cast. It made me kind of bummed because it was obvious her opponents were going to die off her Up-Air after the Down-Throw. Despite not being as braindead as other kill setups during Sm4sh lifetime, it is still the deciding factor on every matchup. If Sheik loses all these setups (and get Vanish "vanished" ASAP a la Melee) but keep her F-Air and Bouncing Fish as they are now she will still have them as points that make her good, but they won't be as centralizing as they're. She already has weaknesses. She's light, a fastfaller, tall hurtbox (i.e. not hard to get hit) has a predictable recovery (in theory), has to work to actually kill... Everyone has weaknesses this time around, and they're all exploitable. Considering Sheik has so many cool techniques already it would actually be good for her meta since it would make her more unpredictable. Because, let's admit, we all know how to play against Sheik with how her kit is now. It's "just" hard!

Last edited:

David Viran

Smash Lord
Sm4sh has indeed been out for over a year and Sheik and ZSS have been good since the beginning (and I believe both have been nerfed since then, if only slightly) but also remember that a year ago we had Hoo-Hah Diddy running rampant. He was nerfed hard afterwards and that's when the cries for Sheik and ZSS nerfs started being louder. Pretty sure it's been said before that Nintendo is likely doing the process of slowly giving buffs to see if Sheik and ZSS can be handled as they are rather than nerf them immediately. Pretty sure Diddy was similar, like how many patches in was it till Diddy got the big nerf? After APEX but before EVO or maybe even after that? I honestly forget.
The answer to your question is 1 patch. The November patch came out then the next patch to come out was in April where they nerfed Diddy.

S_B S_B I can replace sheik and ZSS in your posts with zero and nairo and it would still fit pretty well.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
A nerf to Sheik will do not much of a harm to her if well applied. Sheik had many of the properties she has here in Brawl (except for obvious stuff such as her F-Air and Bouncing Fish), how she wasn't High Tier there?
Bad horizontal aerial speed in Brawl meant she couldn't land safely and her combo game was limited. Heavily improved Down-B, better Needles, and improved hitboxes on things like F-Air also helped, but the air speed was probably the biggest boost to both her offense and defense.

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Bad airspeed so her air mobility was terrible and shouldn't combo as well as she could have, her KO ability was much worse (i think) and chain grabs were a thing (Pikachu, Ice Climbers).

Last edited:

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Meta Knight kind of absorbed everybody and I don't think the situation is remotely comparable. He was like what would happen if you put Sol Badguy with Guilty Gear mechanics and air blocking in SF2 lol.

Or if ST Akuma was tournament legal, A or B.

I also have no idea if you're referring to Ally (who is using Cloud and not Sheik or ZSS) or Shaky/Ito. I'm going to assume the latter.

Regardless, I'm dipping from this thread. We're going in circles and getting literally nowhere with this discussion so I'll wait a week until this cools off.
I'm going to second this notion. Giving this thread a rest a while. I have nothing to add and we are going in circles. Gonna focus on improving my play and getting my characters in order. I think this game is simple enough that a character like Sheik ends up being as dominant as Melee Fox at least. Simply due to the breadth of her options in a game where that is a luxury. See you folks later.

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223

What a total crock of BS.

I don't know about you, but I'd say for most people in this thread, and most people watching Smash 4 on Twitch who aren't just there to post ResidentSleepers, Smash 4 has been a compelling game, and has become increasingly compelling over the past year. Patches helped with this, yes, but they were not the sole or even primary cause. What has continued to make Smash 4 grow as an exciting and interesting competitive game has been the players pushing it forward, as well as increased understanding from viewers as to how to appreciate the game.

Then again, I thought Dabuz vs. Abadango at Apex 2015 was one of the most exciting matches of the tournament, but because they're not in each others' faces rushing down somehow people thought it was boring and nothing happened. Some people still apparently thought that about Zero vs. Ranai, and frankly that's insane.

Smash 4's relative lack of mechanical complexity compared to Melee might hurt it in the eyes of Melee fans, but Smash 4 has been developing its own fanbase just fine (with some crossover from Melee fans who can look past the fact that Smash 4 is not Melee). To say that Smash 4 will die just because there might not be anymore balance patches is to say that no one actually liked playing or watching the game, which is simply untrue.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
All of the stuff Reflex said plus game engine stuff. Like the removal of ledge hogging/Vanish getting better and the higher hitstun of the game. Also, most characters were nerfed heavily from Brawl to Smash 4. Sheik was in many ways heavily buffed and nerfed but basically those buffs weigh more (like Fair's knockback angle).

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206

I don't know about you, but I'd say for most people in this thread, and most people watching Smash 4 on Twitch who aren't just there to post ResidentSleepers, Smash 4 has been a compelling game, and has become increasingly compelling over the past year. Patches helped with this, yes, but they were not the sole or even primary cause. What has continued to make Smash 4 grow as an exciting and interesting competitive game has been the players pushing it forward, as well as increased understanding from viewers as to how to appreciate the game.

Then again, I thought Dabuz vs. Abadango at Apex 2015 was one of the most exciting matches of the tournament, but because they're not in each others' faces rushing down somehow people thought it was boring and nothing happened. Some people still apparently thought that about Zero vs. Ranai, and frankly that's insane.

Smash 4's relative lack of mechanical complexity compared to Melee might hurt it in the eyes of Melee fans, but Smash 4 has been developing its own fanbase just fine (with some crossover from Melee fans who can look past the fact that Smash 4 is not Melee). To say that Smash 4 will die just because there might not be anymore balance patches is to say that no one actually liked playing or watching the game, which is simply untrue.
Genesis 3 was probably the most compelling and interesting smash tournament I've seen. While I'm rather new to the smash scene in general, the amount of creativity and high level spacing was enough to make me even more excited for the future of smash 4 than ever before.

Fow almost beat Ranai in what many believe to be a terrible matchup.
Dabuz played the Sheik matchup brilliantly by outspacing FAir with crawl microspacing.
Void showcased Sheik's technical combo game on Fox that was incredibly cool to watch and is the complete opposite of what people complain about when they say "smash 4 combo."
Fow showed Ness is a force to be reckoned with after many people call the character overrated.

And that's just top 8. The players used their characters' strengths to overcome their weaknesses. It showed, to me, that Smash 4 may actually be an amazing competitive game.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Just to comment on Ganon's placement in terms of his results, a few things have changed recently with regard to his overall performance. I haven't been to a tournament since September, but I've been watching Kalm and GTB's stuff pretty religiously on the interest of either lending or taking credence from my suspicions about Ganon as a character.

In recent months, most Ganon players that I follow have still been performing well, but from my observations, Ganon's weaknesses are coming to light in mighty haste. To be fair, I don't think we can justify a favorable placing for Ganon based on results alone, since, while it sounds good to say "placed top ___," ultimately, what matters is who you beat and who beat you, since getting top 10 out of, say, 50 players, just means you have to win 3 matches, likely not against apex predators, as it were. Ganons have been placing top 10, but based on my observations thus far, people are catching on to Ganon quickly, and it's showing in the form of once dominating results receding to the nebulous "top something" zone. Getting top 5 in locals, top 15 at large regionals and top 50-100 at nationals would be convincing for me. I hope anyone with the mind to has, would and will hold continue me to these same standards as well. I still think it's possible, but as of right now, there's more evidence against Ganon than for him.

Points being, we should always be critical of numbers alone, and that recent events lead me to believe that either a few players have gotten much worse very rapidly, or everyone around them has figured Ganon out. I'm thinking it's the latter.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

I mean... I'm pretty sure part of the reason Melee has come so far in metagame advancement is that there were zero patches threatening to reset progress or upset balance.

Just think, if Melee came out as it is today, stuff like wavedashing would likely be patched out as it was clearly unintentional. Bam, Fox no longer has his best combo, Luigi drops several tiers and Falco rises to the top (theoretically).

Point is a lack of patches isn't the end, it's more like a new beginning.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
I mean... I'm pretty sure part of the reason Melee has come so far in metagame advancement is that there were zero patches threatening to reset progress or upset balance.

Just think, if Melee came out as it is today, stuff like wavedashing would likely be patched out as it was clearly unintentional. Bam, Fox no longer has his best combo, Luigi drops several tiers and Falco rises to the top (theoretically).

Point is a lack of patches isn't the end, it's more like a new beginning.
A new beginning for characters that are viable/top-tier; the end for characters that are low-tier/unviable.

Last edited:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
1,000 times, THIS.

Melee STILL got more stream views than SSB4 at G3 (like 25,000 compared to 14,000).

SSB4 doesn't have wavedashing and all of the other tricks/glitches Melee has in order to keep the meta developing for the next 15 years.

The only thing SSB4 could have going for it is enough character balance that the variety makes the game compelling to watch. Hell, if SSB4 could get to a point where any of 20 different characters could reasonably be expected to take a national, it'd be in a pretty damn good place.

Really, how long would it be before we've seen every possible bit of meta development happen between ZSS and Sheik and the matchup is basically linear at that point?

And to anyone saying "Sheik only does as well as she does because Zero mains her!", no, you have that BACKWARDS: Zero mains Sheik because Sheik is as good as she is. Zero USED to main Bowser but stopped when it became clear that there were better, more reliable characters out there he could be using.

The situation is ENTIRELY comparable.

A player playing the best character in the game as a secondary is extremely likely to gravitate toward using that character full time as it becomes clear that time invested into their "main" is time wasted when they could instead be labbing with a character with a better matchup spread.

Can people please, please, PLEASE stop with this idea that a character has to be on par with Brawl MK in order to completely ruin a metagame? Please...?!
Could you please please please remember that ZSS and sheik aren't the only characters placing well? Why have you forgotten Rosaluma? Ryu? Sonic? Fox? Ranai putting in work with villager?
I mean, if you think ZSS do not have real weakness, then I don't know what to tell you.

Last edited:

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
Could you please please please remember that ZSS and sheik aren't the only characters winning placing well? Why have you forgotten Rosaluma? Ryu? Sonic? Fox? Ranai putting in work with villager?
I mean, if you think ZSS do not have real weakness, then I don't know what to tell you.
Well having a weakness doesn't exactly make you balanced. :foxmelee: says hi!

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Except he's kinda a special case. Theoretically best character in the game, most options and thing out of any character, hardest character to take control of, and gets demolished for mistakes. He's really inconsistent and few have actually harness his prowess to win often.

ZSS has something every character in the game can exploit. She actually has something for you to work with and use against her. I really can't see any argument for her ruining the meta when she actually has some issues.

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
Not relevant to the thread, but a correction: G3 Wii U viewers peaked at ~90k, Melee at ~110k. I don't know where those other numbers came from.

It's not surprising Melee got more views with its storied history (both in and out of Genesis) and rabid fanboyism.

Interestingly, Smash 4 tends to outstrip Melee in viewers and entrants at wider community events rather than Melee-oriented ones. A lot of people quite enjoy it.

If you don't like watching it, don't, but it's not trendy to marginalize it anymore.

ARISTOS

Smash Ace
Wow this thread got a bit crazy.

1. The game will be alright. If Sakurai were to decree today that there would be no more balance changes from here on out, the game would be fine. Genesis 3 was hype as **** and the play was astounding. There's so much room for growth, outside of balance patches.

If balance is why you play Smash 4, you may need to reconsider why you play this series, because every iteration of the game has always had incredibly poor balance (including Smash 64, lol). The games are fun, irrespective of their balancing.

2. At the same time, this is a Character Competitive Impressions thread, so we are concerned about character balance. For me, what is concerning isn't that Ally/Ito/Shaky are switching to :4sheik::4zss:. No, I am more worried by the idea that they think they need secondaries at all. If :4mario::4metaknight::4ness: can not cut it in the meta, then who can? Is our idea of how balanced the game is completely wrong? I do think Sheik and ZSS deserve nerfs, and I disagree with the notion that :4ryu: and :rosalina: would just up and take their place ( :4metaknight: might though, and he needs to be looked at closely). Both of those characters have small but significant flaws that can be taken into account when designing counter strategies. And no, it's not just ZeRo, and it's not just Nairo.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Partial apologies to Zero for what I said the other day (but only partial). This thread is devolving quickly into exactly what he was talking about.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Yikarur

Smash Master
This thread evolved into cancerous debate.

Facts:
- the best player won a 1000+ man major with the best character, while using his second best character over 50% of the time wrecking everyone with it.
- 26 different characters were present in the Top64 of a 1000+ man major!
- Only 2 Sheiks in Top8, 3 in Top16, 6 in Top32, No Sheik has lost against another Sheik.
- All Sheiks in Top32 are considered Sheik mains. No secondaries. No pocket Sheik that pushed someone in that placing.

Why do people suddenly talk like the game is done, without a Sheik nerf? of course everyone would appreciate it, because she is clearly the best character but come on. Talking about nerfing Sheik as the solution of this game after her relatively low impact at the most stacked tournament ever doesn't make sense.

The only thing I see when looking at the Top8 of Genesis, I clearly see, the best player won, the second place went to a guy who labbed infinitely hard the past year etc.

I understand, that @TSM ZeRo invaded this thread to tell you to get good, because this thread deviated to this debate for no reason.

If anything, Genesis 3 proved that this game would be fine character-wise if it'd stay this way forever. But of course it would be even better with some tweeking, but it's not like "PATCH OR DIE".

pls. Stop this non-sense.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
It's a good idea to have a strong secondary no matter who you use anyways, even if you hardly ever use that option in tournament.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
ZSS doesn't have a one-frame, invincible, jump-cancelable move that also doubles as a reversal, doubles as probably the most legit frame-trapping move in the whole series, and other such utility. Not to mention the rest of her kit is hardly on the same level as Fox's anyways, mobility and frame data included.

Please, take these comparisons elsewhere.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
Fox's Down-B is more broken by itself than Sheik's entire character. Let's also not forget that the combination of set knockback, high hitstun, and high falling speeds allow it to kill at basically any percent.

Even then, Fox is also miles upon miles upon miles more broken than Sheik even without shine. His only weakness is that he's light; in a game where how early deaths happen is loosely tied to weight at best.

Last edited:

Bloodcross

Smash Champion
Yes but that's really it. Bloodcross dropped her and the only one left is Draquaza.

While Zelda has ven who made it out of part one of G3 pools and is PR'd in NV. Zylach who is PR'd in WI. Zolda who has recently won WI tournaments. Then there's Ed/Purple Guy who's PR'd with Zelda and gets many top 8 FL results. For you all that didn't know, Ed/Purple Guy offcially moved Zelda to main and Sheik to secondary so in the recent tournaments.
>her

But yes I don't have much of any use for Zard in tournament despite him being my favorite character in the game. I racked up a few good wins with him... over a year ago. But I'm not gonna waste time giving outdated results.

Also customs are gone. I no longer have a niche matchup with Dragon Rush vs Rosa "What even is a Luma" Lina.

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Fox's Down-B is more broken by itself than Sheik's entire character. Let's also not forget that the combination of set knockback, high hitstun, and high falling speeds allow it to kill at basically any percent.

Even then, Fox is also miles upon miles upon miles more broken than Sheik even without shine. His only weakness is that he's light; in a game where how early deaths happen is loosely tied to weight at best.
Fox being a fastfaller is much bigger as a liability than his weight. It makes him combo food in a game where that matters a lot.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Not relevant to the thread, but a correction: G3 Wii U viewers peaked at ~90k, Melee at ~110k. I don't know where those other numbers came from.
A mid-day comparison of both games (when the Melee fanboys were laughing about it).

Melee has wavedashing as the great equalizer, though, allowing characters with worse frame data still a chance to flourish due to unorthodox methods of approach.

If Brawl had had wavedashing, who knows where the game would be right now.

And SSB4 doesn't have it or anything like it, so frame data and toolkits are really all we have to go on.

To say that Smash 4 will die just because there might not be anymore balance patches is to say that no one actually liked playing or watching the game, which is simply untrue.
Again, SSB4 doesn't have the advanced techs that Melee does (which have ironically kept the meta developing onward for the past 15 years).

Unless we discover wavedashing in SSB4 or something similar, nothing is going to magically make the inferior frame data of many characters better.

Also, no one said "no one likes or watches the game" (though a lot of Melee players would say this), but the numbers on the Melee stream were around 25k while SSB4 was 14k.

S_B S_B I can replace sheik and ZSS in your posts with zero and nairo and it would still fit pretty well.
If Zero and Nairo quit SSB4 to join the circus tomorrow, tournaments would still be largely dominated by ZSSheiks.

Why do people think Zero and Nairo are good enough to take nationals the way they do, but at the same time dumb enough to not be using the best characters in the game?

If anything, Genesis 3 proved that this game would be fine character-wise if it'd stay this way forever. But of course it would be even better with some tweeking, but it's not like "PATCH OR DIE".
...Which is why we want the tweaking.

Here's the thing about SSB4...

Because of balance patches, it means that they can correct many of the mistakes that went into the game. Hell, Diddy would still be Uairing people out of SSB4 and back into Melee if not for balance patches.

As it stands, a sizable chunk of the roster is invalidated by some combination of ZSSheik. Some of those characters still need buffs either way (like poor DH), but a good number of them have decent matchups against the higher tiers and, with some meta development, could possibly be considered tournament threats.

But that's not going to happen as long as ZSSheik are as overtuned as they are. Really, I've watched DK Will get destroyed by a ZSS player who was comparatively new to ZSS, even though he's been playing DK since Brawl and has played him all through SSB4's life (and yes, it was post ding-dong patch).

If someone is content watching nothing but ZSSheik matches for the rest of SSB4's lifespan, that's their opinion and they're entitled to it, but the tournament scene is only made better by each additional character who could potentially take a big tournament, both for the people who play the game AND for those who watch it.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
Again, SSB4 doesn't have the advanced techs that Melee does (which have ironically kept the meta developing onward for the past 15 years).

Unless we discover wavedashing in SSB4 or something similar, nothing is going to magically make the inferior frame data of many characters better.

Also, no one said "no one likes or watches the game" (though a lot of Melee players would say this), but the numbers on the Melee stream were around 25k while SSB4 was 14k.

If Zero and Nairo quit SSB4 to join the circus tomorrow, tournaments would still be largely dominated by ZSSheiks.

Why do people think Zero and Nairo are good enough to take nationals the way they do, but at the same time dumb enough to not be using the best characters in the game?

Because of balance patches, it means that they can correct many of the mistakes that went into the game. Hell, Diddy would still be Uairing people out of SSB4 and back into Melee if not for balance patches.

As it stands, a sizable chunk of the roster is invalidated by some combination of ZSSheik. Some of those characters still need buffs either way (like poor DH), but a good number of them have decent matchups against the higher tiers and, with some meta development, could possibly be considered tournament threats.

But that's not going to happen as long as ZSSheik are as overtuned as they are. Really, I've watched DK Will get destroyed by a ZSS player who was comparatively new to ZSS, even though he's been playing DK since Brawl and has played him all through SSB4's life (and yes, it was post ding-dong patch).

If someone is content watching nothing but ZSSheik matches for the rest of SSB4's lifespan, that's their opinion and they're entitled to it, but the tournament scene is only made better by each additional character who could potentially take a big tournament, both for the people who play the game AND for those who watch it.
I wouldn't waste my time arguing with anyone here over Sheik and ZSS. You're just beating a dead horse.

Last edited:

ARISTOS

Smash Ace
Melee has wavedashing as the great equalizer, though, allowing characters with worse frame data still a chance to flourish due to unorthodox methods of approach.

If Brawl had had wavedashing, who knows where the game would be right now.

And SSB4 doesn't have it or anything like it, so frame data and toolkits are really all we have to go on.

If someone is content watching nothing but ZSSheik matches for the rest of SSB4's lifespan, that's their opinion and they're entitled to it, but the tournament scene is only made better by each additional character who could potentially take a big tournament, both for the people who play the game AND for those who watch it.
I think you're missing the point.

We want nerfs, yes.

The game is still enjoyable as is and will continue to be.

There is nothing more to be gained from this conversation because we are not in charge of balancing. It's up to fate (Sakurai) at this time.

Last edited:

zblaqk

Smash Apprentice
So what do you guys think of Cloud doing as well as he did despite the recent release? Could it be lack of matchup knowledge ir something else?

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
So to avoid going in circles I'd like to bring up Mewtwo. I feel like after this patch he is a fully viable character (tho ZSS imo destroys him in a lot of ways). Mewtwo has amazing aireal movement, ridiculous damage output, a projectile that goes thru a vast majority of projectiles, 2 kill throws, and an extremely good dthrow. His jab is great, and in general he has a surprising amount of combos and several of his moves can kill. People still believe he is terrible, and I dont agree with that at all. The biggest issue is that at this point I doubt he will get much representation outside of Mew squared, and a very small number of local players which is rater saddening considering all of his potential now. I do hope more players give him a second chance and maybe more notable players might pick him up. But time will tell I suppose.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
Melee's also been around for a decade...
Those are only common in GFs because ZeRo and Nairo meet in GFs so often. After them you have people like Dabuz, Esam, and Ally, who don't play either of them.
As it stands, a sizable chunk of the roster is invalidated by some combination of ZSSheik.
Wut.
Maybe, like, low/bottom tier get invalidated by them and them alone, but a sizable chunk?
Regrettably, the "we" here doesn't include everyone. :\
I'm looking at the last three pages, and maybe three people don't want nerfs at all, and that's including Zero. There were a few people saying that nerfs aren't needed and it won't be the end of Sm4sh if there aren't, but some nerfs would be nice.

Last edited:

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
So what do you guys think of Cloud doing as well as he did despite the recent release? Could it be lack of matchup knowledge ir something else?
Partially not understanding the MU is a pretty big deal, but it would be silly to say that that is all. I mean we didnt see Mewtwo, Roy, or Lucas dominating anything whatsoever upon their release. Cloud has a lot of good things going for him. High mobility, amazing range, surprising speed, can kill you at 40 percent or less(depends heavily on stage), decent weight, and has a mechanic that helps him a ton. His recovery is overly hated as he has alternatives to it. Cloud is a good character. Its too early to say where exactly he is, but its obvious that he isnt just banking off of lack of MU knowledge. Hes been out for a month and half, not a week. Time will tell, but I do believe that Cloud is a great character and I doubt we will be seeing less and less of him. Tho more people will learn the MU, the dedicated Cloud players will also advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom