• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Media Character Assist Trophy ideas

Bea Santello

Smash Rookie
Rather than just giving ideas for fighters and how they play, why not have a thread for ideas of a assists trophy? Third Party Assist Trophy is allowed too.

Here's my idea for an assist.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...Mae-Gif.gif/revision/latest?cb=20181120090110

When summoning an assist, Mae Borowski, from Night in the Woods, appears.

Her action is similar to her "moveset" from her own game. Exactly how you imagine, she runs towards her opponents with a bat. She can also jump and swing in midair (just like she can in her own game).

When her time is up, this is her leave animation.

But a little faster. https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...eShapes.gif/revision/latest?cb=20170428220358

Last edited:

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
I think Piranha Plant would be a cool assist trophy for the next game. I liked the idea of him in this game, I just hope he's not in the next one :p

Apart from that, Hornet from Hollow Knight is practically made to be an assist trophy. She'd be perfect.

Klonoa since I love him but I don't think he has enough potential to be a full-fledged fighter.

Dr. Coyle would also be cool.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I had an idea for a healer from Fire Emblem in an older Assist Trophy thread, but I'd have to go digging through my post history to find it again.

D

Deleted member

I would like the viruses of Dr. Mario. They start litering the screen with pills that have different properties like flame, lightning and ice (taking a few liberties here) when anyone except whoinvoked them touches the pills.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
-Morag & Brighid from Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Morag attacks with her whipswords and Brighid can block attacks for her. KOing them requires hitting Morag only.

-The Pegasus Sisters (Palla, Catria, Est) from Fire Emblem, who attack with Triangle Formation. They have good magic resistance but are weak against physical projectiles.

-Silver the Hedgehog from Sonic, who uses his psychokinesis to hold opponents in place for free hits. If the opponent is near a wall, Silver may throw them into it.

-Rundas from Metroid Prime 3, who surfs on ice attacking with frozen shots and ice sword. He appears in his normal form rather with his PED suit.

-Torch Man from Mega Man 11, who fights similarly to Captain Falcon and Akira with fiery martial arts. In a pinch he'll use his Power Gear to set half the stage ablaze.

Bonus:
-Gilgamesh from Fate/Stay Night. He'll stand on his own platform and fire weapons from Gate of Babylon at opponents. While good at defending himself and laughing at your attempts to strike him, landing hits will have you learn he is physically weak with low HP.

Bea Santello

Smash Rookie
I think Piranha Plant would be a cool assist trophy for the next game. I liked the idea of him in this game, I just hope he's not in the next one :p

Apart from that, Hornet from Hollow Knight is practically made to be an assist trophy. She'd be perfect.

Klonoa since I love him but I don't think he has enough potential to be a full-fledged fighter.

Dr. Coyle would also be cool.
Klonoa can be good for grabbing opponents to jump off the stage platform and threw them on the ground.

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
Assuming she's not taking on any other role, Marisa Kirisame from the Touhou Project.

-She'd fly around the stage shooting projectiles (typically her two shot-types, Magic Missiles and Illusion Lasers) and grabbing any nearby items.

-Shortly before she leaves, she'd fire off one of her Spell Cards. Either her signature ramming attack, Blazing Star, or her signature rainbow-coloured death laser, the Master Spark.

-If she's damaged to being KOed, she doesn't fly off the screen like other assists, instead exploding like losing a life in the mainline Touhou games, complete with the "pichuun" sound effect.

Last edited:

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
Since Bayonetta and Street Fighter got Assist Trophies, it kinda upsets me how Final Fantasy didn't get one. My choice for that would be Tidus from Final Fantasy X just so we could add that laughter.

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio
We don't need anymore assist trophies in the game!

All they will do is kill the chances of characters we wanted getting in!

I really wish they were never a thing to begin with and I hope they abandon the awful concept in the next game (If there is one)!

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Nabbit.
Silver (as a replacement for Shadow)
White Mage
inspector Carmelita
cuphead
plague Knight
hornet
Edelgard.
SA-X

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I would love to see a Dance Dance Revolution character as an assist like Yuni Verse. After they appear, Arrows will scroll across the screen (Similar to Pac-Man's ghosts.) I am a bit on the fence on what they would do- either launch players in the direction the arrows point or they would damage players but could be dodged by moving or using a move that matched the direction of the arrow.

Tetris or Puyo Puyo with Aryle/Ringo/etc could also have a similar concept with blocks raining from above and character portraits being below.

We don't need anymore assist trophies in the game!

All they will do is kill the chances of characters we wanted getting in!

I really wish they were never a thing to begin with and I hope they abandon the awful concept in the next game (If there is one)!
So you'd rather a character wasn't referenced at all in the game then having a non playable role?
Because the playable roster was decided and finalized before the assists were decided. No character was going to be playable but then the team was like "Oh shoot we already had them as an assist. Welp scrap that idea."

The only chance it might hurt are the chances for DLC character since they are decided after the game is nearing completion or is completed. Even so, they have to pick characters that will sell well to make up for development cost or the whole point of DLC is kind of lost.

I get that it sucks, (Hell, one of my most wanted characters is an assist (Ashley) with the only newcomer I wanted getting in being Inkling,) but I think most people get the idea of assists mixed up. They are supposed to reference characters that can't really be fighters, would provide neat gameplay/be a neat throwback, or that they didn't have enough dev time to realize but they knew fans liked or the character was important to the series. Assists are supposed to be nice nods for fans for characters they just couldn't add- I am sure the dev team would want to add infinite characters to the game if they had a ton of money and time but they unfortunately don't. There is more to Smash then just playable characters. That's the main draw for most, but it isn't the only thing.

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman
If Banjo somehow made it in as a fighter I could see Mumbo Jumbo being an assist trophy. He could go around and turn fighters into different creatures/washing machine.

Another I'm fond of that I saw online somewhere was Sans. The fun thing I enjoyed is that 99% of the time he doesn't fight at all, just talks about the different times he was summoned. But there's a chance that he'll fight and do massive damage.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Here are some characters I think should be Assist Trophies, and not/never playable.

Klonoa:

Reason: Klonoa would be an assist trophy to represent Namco, and he's not popular enough to be playable.

Goku:

Reason: Goku has had a significant videogame history, but he doesn't originate from a videogame, he's from his manga. Thus he can't be playable. But since, he's popular and iconic, he should be an assist trophy. Plus, it would trigger interesting reactions.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Here are some characters I think should be Assist Trophies, and not/never playable.

Klonoa:

Reason: Klonoa would be an assist trophy to represent Namco, and he's not popular enough to be playable.

Goku:

Reason: Goku has had a significant videogame history, but he doesn't originate from a videogame, he's from his manga. Thus he can't be playable. But since, he's popular and iconic, he should be an assist trophy. Plus, it would trigger interesting reactions.
Oi! If I can't have Vaati in Smash, Klonoa is the next-best thing!

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
I'm back with more ideas!

-Slogra and Gaibon from Castlevania. They fight as a pair- Slogra fights on the ground with its spear while Gaibon provides air support. Slogra has less HP than Gaibon, but killing Slogra first will cause Gaibon to become faster and stronger. If Gaibon is killed first however both of them will die.

-Infinite from Sonic Forces. Using the power of the Phantom Ruby he'll distort the screen with a red filter, and create hazards on the stage like spiked balls and giant hands, though he doesn't last long. His summoner is immune to his effects (they have a glowing aura around themselves for visibility while the screen is distorted).

-Sae Kurosawa from Fatal Frame II Crimson Butterfly. She'll laugh wildly before rushing at an opponent to possess them, messing with their controls and dealing damage. If the opponent is over 100% she'll try and force them into the nearest blast zone. She can be shaken off with sufficient mashing but not KOed as she is a ghost.

-Brynhildr from Fate/Grand Order. Attacks with a lance and fire moves, she is fast but weak against water-based attacks.

-Firebrand from Ghosts N' Goblins, who flies around the stage in his infamous U-pattern, and can spit fireballs as well.

-Frederick from Fire Emblem Awakening, riding around stages on an armoured horse and striking opponents with a large axe. He can withstand physical attacks but not projectiles. May also throw pebbles at you.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
One time I saw one that about Xavier and Ryoma, where the two of them fight each other, as well as the other fighters. With the mechanic of defeating assist trophies, I feel like this one wouldn't really work though.

Bea Santello

Smash Rookie
Wait. Imagine Mr. X.

Mr. X will pop out and adjust his head, like in RE2 remake, and we hear his stomps as he chases the player's opponents. He's one of those assists trophies that are considered the rarest and deadliest.

Mr. X's punches are powerful, similar to RE2, he sometimes grabs opponents and throws them into the ground which causes the opponents to fly to the air, depending on the opponent's health.

He may be powerful, but you can hit him if you're careful. When you defeat Mr. X he uses his stun animation to show his defeat.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Takumi from Fire Emblem Fates

I don't really care what he does.
He'd probably jump around using his bow. All that matters is that I get to skewer him with Ridley.

Last edited:

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Being a sucker for obscure retro characters, Satebo and Parabo, the Satellaview mascots, would be cool to see revived in 3D.

On a less obscure note, I think it's a majorly missed opportunity that Eggman/Dr Robotnik in his egg-mobile with the iconic swinging chain ball didn't make an appearance. Especially with how cool Wily's implementation was.

R O F L

Smash Ace
I already had these done on previous threads, so i'll just leave them here. :p

Swooping Snitchbug: Would swoop and grab fighters, and throw them down after a few seconds. if they land of the ground while in hitstun they should get buried. Should be able to be stunned if hit by an attack that does 10% or higher.

Breadbug: Would wander around and drag items toward you. It should also be able to steal items other fighters are holding. If attacked from the side or bottom, it won't take damage.

Waterwraith: Would basically act as an Inkling with roller that never runs out, he would patrol the platform he was spawned on. He should be unkillable unless hit by a purple pikmin.

Kackle: Would haunt the farthest fighter from where he was spawned in. He gives the haunted person 10 seconds to hit (deal 5% or more) the person who summoned him. If the haunted fighter doesn't hit the owner of the assist in time, they'll suffer large damage and knockback.

Rambi: He would run around and ram into people. If the person who summoned him jumps on him, they can ride and control Rambi. Before he leaves, he does a extra powerful attack similar to Dillion.

Squitter: Runs around and shoots projectiles. He's vulnerable up-close, so he tries to space himself out from the target. He also occasionally creates platforms.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
This is a very obscure game, where's he from?
an arcade beat-em-up/platformer where you play as a man seconds after becoming a ghost and possess enemies to, as the title implies, avenge your kidnapped girlfriend, like a proto-Mario Odyssey. it was ported to the Game Boy and was one of the first releases on the 3DS' Game Boy VC. it's probably best known for its misleading American box art.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
an arcade beat-em-up/platformer where you play as a man seconds after becoming a ghost and possess enemies to, as the title implies, avenge your kidnapped girlfriend, like a proto-Mario Odyssey. it was ported to the Game Boy and was one of the first releases on the 3DS' Game Boy VC. it's probably best known for its misleading American box art.
The final boss theme is freaking awesome, BTW.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I was going to try to make a new Assist Trophy idea for every franchise/company in Smash, but I struggled with coming up with a good idea for some like Metroid. So I kept the ones I thought were pretty good.
:ultmario:MARIO:ultbowser:: Fawful. Fawful would work similar to Wily's Capsule, except with more chortling and with more fury.
:ultlink:LEGEND OF ZELDA:ultzelda:: The Champions' Spirits. When summoned, three of them disappear, leaving one to cast their individual power. Umbrosa causes a small dome (smaller than Gardevoir's) to appear, causing electric damage to all characters/items that are inside it. Revali boosts the jump height (and maybe the height of recoveries?) and decreases the fall speed of the fighter who summoned them. Daruk summons a circle slightly larger than a character's shield which temporarily gives them the effect of the superstar plus franklin's badge. Mipha heals the fighter who summoned it, as well as reducing the damage taken for a few seconds.
:ultpikachu:POKEMON:ultpokemontrainer:: Pokemon Ranger. The Pokemon Ranger stylus, appears on the screen, drawing circles around one or multiple of the fighters. If an attack hits the circle, it disappears. However, if a circle is completed, the fighters inside the circle take a certain damage.
:ultlittlemac:PUNCH OUT:ultlittlemac:: Aran Ryan. Aran Ryan throws a boxing glove with a horseshoe inside of it, followed by being a discount version of SpringMan (with a boxing glove tied to a rope)

Table Cat

Smash Apprentice
Here's some ideas:

King Bob-omb: he throws and leaves some Bob-ombs in the battlefield. Can be KO'ed and when this happens, he will explode, causing damage to the summoner.
Geno: in my opinion, Geno is a trash overrated character, but he fits pretty well as an assist trophy. His attack will be the Geno Flash. Can be KO'ed, even when he's a cannon.
Colonel Pluck: the chicken boss from Country Returns, he uses his big robot for stomping the opponents. Can be KO'ed but he very resistant, just like the Rathalos assist trophy.
Daroach: he flies and uses his magic attacks from the original game. Can be KO'ed.
Globox: in the case Rayman will get in the game in the future; he will create a rain cloud, this rain will cause the flower effect. Can't be KO'ed.
Tiny Tiger: in the case Crash will get in the game; Tiny will attack using his claws and punches. Can be KO'ed but he's very resistant.
James Byrd: in the case Spyro will get in the game; James basically replaces Ray MK III. Can be KO'ed.
Creeper: I don't want Steve playable, but a Creeper assist trophy can be an interesting idea. Basically, it does nothing but will explode if get hit by an opponent. This explosion can easily KO.

Last edited:

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Here's another idea:

Billy Hatcher: Dashes an egg back and forth on the stage damaging opponents in his way, with the egg becoming increasingly bigger. Once the egg becomes maximum size, he uses his "cockadoodle-doo" hatching ability to hatch a randomly generated item, before disappearing. Opponents can burst the egg before it hatches which will launch Billy off stage.

Deku__Kun

Smash Rookie
Scorpion from Mortal Kombat just jumps in and grapples the opponent, whirls them around and tosses them away. (that is if he doesn't become a character)
Otherwise instead of using a Creeper, they could use the Wither for a Minecraft AT. The Wither would just float around and fire blasts, but maybe an explosion at either the beginning or the end just like in Minecraft.

TillerManX

Smash Rookie
I despise it when people ***** on Assist Trophies just because they deconfirm their favorite character

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Dr. Neo Cortex: Shoots three different types of beams that move around in different directions (the green one can be reflected).

Chocobo: Runs around, jumps, and pecks opponents. You can even ride it!

Boo: Takes another fighter’s item and gives it back to you.

Adam Malkovich: Disables a random special move.

Top Bottom