• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Animations

Diversity

Smash Rookie
When Melee came out after Smash 64, it was incredible how much a lot of the characters changed. A lot of the aesthetic properties of their moves looked better/different, and it gave the game a fresh feel to it.

In Brawl, you can tell that the developers just ported over a majority of the animations from Melee, and that aspect of the character design just felt really lazy to be honest.

In Smash 4, I really think characters should keep a lot of their attacks that we know and love, but spice them up a little bit. Create new animations instead of recycling old ones. Keep the nature of some of the fan-favourite moves the same, but put some effort into making the game feel fresh. I think that it makes a huge difference when going from one game to the next and I know that's a huge reason why (though not the only) I am more fond of Melee than I am of Brawl.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
When Melee came out after Smash 64, it was incredible how much a lot of the characters changed. A lot of the aesthetic properties of their moves looked better/different, and it gave the game a fresh feel to it.

In Brawl, you can tell that the developers just ported over a majority of the animations from Melee, and that aspect of the character design just felt really lazy to be honest.

In Smash 4, I really think characters should keep a lot of their attacks that we know and love, but spice them up a little bit. Create new animations instead of recycling old ones. Keep the nature of some of the fan-favourite moves the same, but put some effort into making the game feel fresh. I think that it makes a huge difference when going from one game to the next and I know that's a huge reason why (though not the only) I am more fond of Melee than I am of Brawl.
you know what they say... don't fix what's broken.

don't try to compare the quality of the models of 64 with Melee, which is probably a factor in the changes of the animations, since they had more liberties regarding animation quality. most of Brawl's models are based on Melee's with more detailed textures, so it's perfectly normal that they kept the same animations.

since the Wii U will have higher graphic capacities, it's possible they will make the animations more detailed, like what happened from SSB64 to Melee.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Well Brawl was originally intended to be on the gamecube. So ya can't blame em for recycling anything. But what exactly did they reuse?
That's like saying just because Ryu uses the Hadouken in every game it's overdone.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
To me, Brawl actually had some change of direction in the animation. The animations were more fluid and "realistic". Even my brothers noticed it when I asked how's the game like when they tested it at the cousin's house.

That being said, I kinda wonder how the next game's gonna take this direction into.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
To be honest, the brawl Animations felt more "alive" with more personality then the Melee animations did in my views.

For example, when Luigi does his Rocket Move and hits a wall, he literally gets stuck and pulls himself out. When Ganondorf does his Side Special move he actually picks his enemies up and rams them to the ground. Falco kicks his reflector shield like the tough guy that he is. Snake covers his ears when his grenades explodes nearby him. When any character summons an assist trophy they don't just release it but also command it to attack your opponents. etc etc.

Not to mention two extra taunts and the characters don't get into a freeze position in their victory animations.

But that's just my opinion. Unless I missed what you meant...

Diversity

Smash Rookie
Well Brawl was originally intended to be on the gamecube. So ya can't blame em for recycling anything.
I've never heard that before. Do you remember where you read/heard that? It wouldn't make much sense since Nintendo seems to want to publish one Smash game for each console they have. They know that it's a console seller.

To be honest, the brawl Animations felt more "alive" with more personality then the Melee animations did in my views.

For example, when Luigi does his Rocket Move and hits a wall, he literally gets stuck and pulls himself out. When Ganondorf does his Side Special move he actually picks his enemies up and rams them to the ground. Falco kicks his reflector shield like the tough guy that he is. Snake covers his ears when his grenades explodes nearby him. When any character summons an assist trophy they don't just release it but also command it to attack your opponents. etc etc.

Not to mention two extra taunts and the characters don't get into a freeze position in their victory animations.

But that's just my opinion. Unless I missed what you meant...
There's no doubt that Brawl had a handful of new animations. And Frostraith is definitely right about the jump in graphics between games wasn't even comparable going from 64 to Gamecube to Wii. However, I was more referring to the fact that characters had new moves came hand-in-hand with new animations in Melee. Falcon's knee, Mario's fire smash, Link's forward smash, Kirby's forward air, and the list goes on.

Brawl kept a lot of character animations instead of implementing new ones. There's a fine line between changing some of the characters moves while keeping iconic ones and changing the character completely. Brawl seemed afraid to change some moves for any of the veterans. (This doesn't include Falco and Ganon. Those were legitimate attempts at trying to "de-clone the characters

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Sakurai talked of a big change in this episode and so I'm expecting them to change the animations from the tablework, yet still in char with their characters.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
@kikwi-kiwi
lol dude I gotta play as Snake more! I had no Idea he covered his ears when a grenade is too close. Man so many things to discover in smash bros.
Like if ya jump on Squirtle like a koopa he gets stuck on his back and can't get up. I think that only works while he is doing his side special though.

Little things like that are just the best.

@Diversity

The reason the animation was so beefed up from N64 to GC was because the character models went from Polygons to Wire-frames. So unless the next Smash bros. uses Motion Capture technology they will continue to use Wire Frames for the animation, Which allows body parts to bend and expand easily.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
There's no doubt that Brawl had a handful of new animations. And Frostraith is definitely right about the jump in graphics between games wasn't even comparable going from 64 to Gamecube to Wii. However, I was more referring to the fact that characters had new moves came hand-in-hand with new animations in Melee. Falcon's knee, Mario's fire smash, Link's forward smash, Kirby's forward air, and the list goes on.

Brawl kept a lot of character animations instead of implementing new ones. There's a fine line between changing some of the characters moves while keeping iconic ones and changing the character completely. Brawl seemed afraid to change some moves for any of the veterans. (This doesn't include Falco and Ganon. Those were legitimate attempts at trying to "de-clone the characters
Hm... Well in that case, what about Kirby? He didn't have his fire charge when he runs and smashes, instead he kicked. He also didn't use his hammer the same way in the air like he did in Melee. Mario uses Fludd for his down special instead of the tornado which was moved as his down smash. Bowser side special makes him do a backflip crush instead of just biting as well as being able to slowly move the degree angle of his fire breath. Mr. Game & Watch used that Fish bowl instead of his parachute as his neutral air smash. Marth's neutral special animation was also changed (dunno if it's still a shield breaker since I never attempted to break any shields with that move)

Well those were just the ones I can think of that were not clones at the moment. I do agree the change wasn't as huge compared to Smash 64 to Melee. But I guess that may be because the Final Smash sort of was "The new move" of this game. Like the addition of side Special moves were to Melee.

@kikwi-kiwi
lol dude I gotta play as Snake more! I had no Idea he covered his ears when a grenade is too close. Man so many things to discover in smash bros.
Like if ya jump on Squirtle like a koopa he gets stuck on his back and can't get up. I think that only works while he is doing his side special though.

Little things like that are just the best.
Then wait until you see Snake Kirby. He does it too.

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
I want to see characters go into a "tired" stance once their damage goes over 100%.

I would also like to see the fainting animations in stamina mode be based off the "dying" animations from a character's game. Ex: Mario & Sonic jump & then fall off screen, pokemon return to pokeballs, fire emblem characters could say something dramatic & then fade away, mother characters turn into ghosts/angels, etc.

:phone:

Top Bottom