• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Aesthetics Tier List

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
I made a tier list of which characters I think look the best / worst in the game using this website:

https://ssbworld.com/create/tier-list/ultimate/

Which characters do you think look the best and the worst. This includes their visuals, animations, and sound effects lumped into one consideration. Make your own too and post it here, as I am curious to know what other people consider to be the most stylistically pleasing / displeasing characters in the game.

Edit: If I get enough replies on this thread with other aesthetic tier lists, I'll compile them into an averaged list and add it here.

my-image (1).png

Last edited:

Jaro235

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-3773-6120-6819
Mario is way too high. I just don’t get the hype around watching Mario. I never did, not even when I first played Smash as a child.

As far as the list is concerned, I disagree with a lot of places. Pac-Man, Kirby, Pikachu, Ken, Mega Man, Inkling and Game & Watch are all too low and Ganondorf, Ridley, Charizard, Bowser, Young Link, and both Marios are too high. I feel that while the heavies are fun, I don’t think they look the best aesthetically. I think the best fighters in that regard are Bayonetta, Falcon, Pac-Man, Wolf, Cloud, and K Rool. I think that the weakest ones are both Marios, Lucina, Toon Link, Jigglypuff, Dark Samus, and Chrom. That is just my opinion though.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
All I can say is that as long as Mario continues to look like someone killed his family, I'm not going to enjoy his aesthetic.

Well, here's mine:
designtier.png

Last edited:

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
What I find so interesting is just how different your list is from mine. I'm curious to see even more lists, and I may even try to compile them into some sort of conglomerate list if more people post lists too.

Mario is way too high. I just don’t get the hype around watching Mario. I never did, not even when I first played Smash as a child.

As far as the list is concerned, I disagree with a lot of places. Pac-Man, Kirby, Pikachu, Ken, Mega Man, Inkling and Game & Watch are all too low and Ganondorf, Ridley, Charizard, Bowser, Young Link, and both Marios are too high. I feel that while the heavies are fun, I don’t think they look the best aesthetically. I think the best fighters in that regard are Bayonetta, Falcon, Pac-Man, Wolf, Cloud, and K Rool. I think that the weakest ones are both Marios, Lucina, Toon Link, Jigglypuff, Dark Samus, and Chrom. That is just my opinion though.
I like how gritty and serious they made Mario look, in particular, in SSBU. You should post a list with all the characters so I can start tallying it into an averaged list I want to make from this thread.

Last edited:

Jaro235

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-3773-6120-6819
I like how gritty and serious they made Mario look, in particular, in SSBU. You should post a list with all the characters so I can start tallying it into an averaged list I want to make from this thread.
I made one, but when I tried to upload the photo, it was cut in half for some reason. There is nothing that I can do about it so I will just send a link to the list for now. I’ll try to upload the photo later if I can figure it out. Sorry guys.

https://t.co/pvo4laTCj8?amp=1

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I agree with Ridley's placement. His exoskeleton's bony structure and its covering the softer flesh makes the character look organic. His up taunt demonstrates his ferocity, and some of his attacks show off his brutality. I'd say this is Ridley's best appearance. Then there's the Meta Ridley/Ridley Robot colors. His skin has the striations, giving off the impression of smooth, toned muscle.

I suppose you could say Samus' appearance looks average, but there is a detail the developers added, and that's when Samus shoots a homing or super missile,. Her visor and other lights on her armor will change, which is a reference to her NES animation when using missiles. I also find Samus' sleek, streamlined appearance appealing, as opposed to her once bulky appearance. Although, Metroid: Samus Returns pulled that off very well.

Dark Samus deserves to be higher. Looking at how she was portrayed in Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, and compared to her Metroid Prime 3: Corruption appearance, she has received quite the update. The ridges on her pauldrons, the structure of her breastplate, and the sleekness of her helmet exude a blend of organic and cybernetic design. Her taunts are one of the best in the game. Then there is her movement where she hovers, and when she shoots, she shows off power in the form of ending her opponent without much effort.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

All I can say is that as long as Mario continues to look like someone killed his family, I'm not going to enjoy his aesthetic.
PREACH
I don't get why he's so angry. He's never angry in his own games.

Jaro235

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-3773-6120-6819
As far as Mario goes, he has just never stood out to me in ANY game. Not in Smash, not in the Mario spin-offs, nothing. I just have no attachment to him compared to the other Mario characters such as Luigi, Wario, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Bowser, and so on. I even like Peach more than Mario sometimes because at least she has a floating ability that makes her unique. Mario is just too basic for me in design. Even if he wasn’t gritty in Smash, he would probably still be at the bottom of my aesthetics tier list because I just find him as a character and his style boring. I like Mario, but I have more fun playing as him in Smash than watching him. Also, they wasted Cappy and got rid of his growing taunt. More points lost for those two things alone. Sorry for the rant, but I felt that I needed to get that off of my chest.

Yoshi will always be top. Everyone else is negotiable :yoshi:
Hell yeah! Yoshi’s design in Ultimate is underrated!
(I meant to add this to my last comment but here it is.)

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
LOL, this reminds me of these old tier lists my friend made on the all character's cosmetic appearances.

Anyway, here's my take:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
image.jpeg

Roughly ordered more or less.

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
Isabelle in the very ugly tier

Ah, i see you're NOT a man of culture.

I agree with your K rool placement though, that boy is thicc :shades:

Chunkz

Smash Rookie
dk's model is ugly af even if his animations and expressions are cool

Jaro235

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-3773-6120-6819
Alright, I think I can upload my tier list for sure this time so you guys don’t have to click on the link.
CBEB93C8-8793-475F-A82F-A0BB5F3152A4.jpeg
3C9EBF56-D835-4635-8621-4F8C921D5DA1.jpeg
8ABCF8B4-B12B-4440-AB8B-A117A2CA7672.jpeg

By the way, sorry about double posting last night. I tried to add to my last post but ended up creating a new one by accident. I’ll make sure it won’t happen again.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I don’t know about Mario, but I think Doc deserves a solid spot in S just for the beauty that is his back throw.

Also, if you think Jigglypuff looks bad you’re a Satanist. Her animations are brimming with personality and charm.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don’t know about Mario, but I think Doc deserves a solid spot in S just for the beauty that is his back throw.

Also, if you think Jigglypuff looks bad you’re a Satanist. Her animations are brimming with personality and charm.
You can be a Satanist and think Jigglypuff is pretty at the same time.

~?~

The Strangest Link Main
*inserts Link bias*
Link is the SEXIEST character. Fight me.
Just look at these pecs, and how he oozes manhood while he dangerously stands on an explosive with no EFFs to give about his own life. That's EDGE. Not to mention, his alt costumes are just the best, fight me again.

Art by AlizeZaide AlizeZaide don't @ me @ her instead.

Attachments

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Personally I think Yoshi's model looks like **** in his victory poses.

Not so noticable in game, and his renders are gorgeous, but dear sweet jesus that crafted texture:

FIX THE GOD DAMN CRAFTED TEXTURE, he looks like he's crafted out of MOLD.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Well then she would have to go in D tier with the others. I guess all of the pokemon could theoretically go in there
No offense, but that's a bold (and mildly hypocritical and/or self-deprecating) statement, coming from someone whose avatar and username are both distinctly Pokémon-related.

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
No offense, but that's a bold (and mildly hypocritical and/or self-deprecating) statement, coming from someone whose avatar and username are both distinctly Pokémon-related.
How is that more hypocritical than naming yourself Luigifan and then maining Ness in every single iteration of the game? ha

I actually wish i could change it from Xquirtle since thats a dated tag for me, but since i'm stuck with it, i just leave the avatar. Anyway, my tier list was really just following a few rules. Waifus are top tier, pichu is top tier since its my main and its a quip at everybody favoring their mains. All males were bottom tier with the androgynous Pokemon a tier above. The Samus' and Sheik aren't really waifu but we know they lookin good under that armor.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
How is that more hypocritical than naming yourself Luigifan and then maining Ness in every single iteration of the game? ha

I actually wish i could change it from Xquirtle since thats a dated tag for me, but since i'm stuck with it, i just leave the avatar. Anyway, my tier list was really just following a few rules. Waifus are top tier, pichu is top tier since its my main and its a quip at everybody favoring their mains. All males were bottom tier with the androgynous Pokemon a tier above. The Samus' and Sheik aren't really waifu but we know they lookin good under that armor.
That would require the selection of aesthetics to be causal to the selection of main. In many cases, it may indeed be the other way around. Character aesthetics can often play a significant role in who a player may decide to play, which would make the correlation between main selection and placement on the above-mentioned tier lists an expected result, rather than a deliberate pandering by those who posted the lists.

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
That would require the selection of aesthetics to be causal to the selection of main. In many cases, it may indeed be the other way around. Character aesthetics can often play a significant role in who a player may decide to play, which would make the correlation between main selection and placement on the above-mentioned tier lists an expected result, rather than a deliberate pandering by those who posted the lists.
I think that is most certainly true. There are a few ugly / stupid looking top tiers that very few people play

Yoshi_smash

Smash Apprentice
TierListAesthetics3.png

My tier list of fighter / character aesethics is somewhat different from the 1st poster's list -- it is generally similar to the characters I main / play secondary, and those I don't play often or not at all.
In my opinion, Yoshi is the best fighter in the game aesthetically, and is in his own tier -- the A++ tier. :ultyoshi:
Pikachu, Charizard, Bowser, and King K. Rool are in the 2nd aesthetics tier (A+ tier). :ultpikachu: :ultcharizard: :ultbowser: :ultkrool:
Squirtle, Ivysaur, Bowser Jr. (and Koopalings), Sonic, Incineroar, Lucario, Fox, and Duck Hunt are in the 3rd aesthetics tier (A tier). :ultsquirtle: :ultivysaur: :ultbowserjr: :ultsonic: :ultincineroar: :ultlucario: :ultfox: :ultduckhunt:
Greninja, Pichu, Isabelle, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Falco and Wolf are in the 4th aesethics tier (B tier). :ultgreninja: :ultpichu: :ultisabelle: :ultdk: :ultdiddy: :ultfalco: :ultwolf:
Pac-Man, Kirby, Jigglypuff, King Dedede, Mewtwo, Piranha Plant, and Ridley are in the 5th aesthetics tier (C tier). :ultpacman: :ultkirby: :ultjigglypuff: :ultkingdedede: :ultmewtwo: :ultpiranha: :ultridley:

Corrin, Bayonetta, Zero Suit Samus, Cloud, Marth, Lucina, Roy, Ike, Pokemon Trainer (the human), Mario, Luigi, Dr. Mario, Peach, Rosalina & Luma, Daisy and Mr. Game & Watch are in the 6th aesthetics tier (D tier).

:ultcorrin: :ultbayonetta: :ultzss: :ultcloud: :ultmarth: :ultlucina: :ultroy: :ultike: :ultpokemontrainer: :ultmario: :ultluigi: :ultdoc: :ultpeach: :ultrosalina: :ultdaisy: :ultgnw:

All other fighters are in the 7th aesthetics tier (E tier).

For fighters I put in the D and E tiers, I don't hate their aesthetics -- it's just that they are the leftover fighters after all of the higher fighters are chosen. I guess one could say the tier list ranges from best aesthetics (A++) to neutral (E).

I don't know what "S" and "SS" stand for (I've seen them used in tier lists) -- I know they're for the top fighters, but since I don't know what they stand for, I didn't use them.

Last edited:

Yoshi_smash

Smash Apprentice
Not so noticable in game, and his renders are gorgeous, but dear sweet jesus that crafted texture:

FIX THE GOD DAMN CRAFTED TEXTURE, he looks like he's crafted out of MOLD.
I'm not a fan of the crafted texture / alternate. I would've preferred that black Yoshi return (or additional colored Yoshis such as orange and white).

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
I'm not a fan of the crafted texture / alternate. I would've preferred that black Yoshi return (or additional colored Yoshis such as orange and white).
Yeah this is sort of a weird miss by nintendo. Usually their art is spot on, and they had so many options with a unique Yoshi skin. not sure what they were going for.

Top Bottom