• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Changing what people think of Smash 64

Shears

Smash Master
But Smash 64 actually runs in 60 FPS. Every Smash game does.
Explain that to melee kids. For some reason you all seem to think 64 is 30fps.

Conversation I had with a PM kid:

PM kid: "Isn't Kirbys utilt like ridiculous in this game"
Me: "Yeah it comes out in 4 frames and basically covers the entire top platform of DL"
PM kid: "Well 64 is only 30 frames per second so thats actually a long time to get in there"
Me: "No 64 is 60 frames"
PM kid: "I don't think so, its an N64 I always thought it was 30 frames"
Me: "No its definitely 60 frames, I don't think so, I know so"
PM kid: "Well thats not what I heard"
What I should have said: "Go ****ing sacrifice yourself to your pagan gods of melee you worthless beta human"

He could have easily said "Oh wow you learn something new every day" but no he decided to ignorantly argue with me about a topic he was ignorant about. People always believe the grapevine.

Last edited:

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
It's just really stupid ._.

Also, who's your favourite character to watch? I love watching Falcon's And Fox's but I love playing with Yoshi.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Explain that to melee kids. For some reason you all seem to think 64 is 30fps.

Conversation I had with a PM kid:

PM kid: "Isn't Kirbys utilt like ridiculous in this game"
Me: "Yeah it comes out in 4 frames and basically covers the entire top platform of DL"
PM kid: "Well 64 is only 30 frames per second so thats actually a long time to get in there"
Me: "No 64 is 60 frames"
PM kid: "I don't think so, its an N64 I always thought it was 30 frames"
Me: "No its definitely 60 frames, I don't think so, I know so"
PM kid: "Well thats not what I heard"
What I should have said: "Go ****ing sacrifice yourself to your pagan gods of melee you worthless beta human"

He could have easily said "Oh wow you learn something new every day" but no he decided to ignorantly argue with me about a topic he was ignorant about. People always believe the grapevine.
Correct response would have been "I'll bet you $50 that it's 60FPS". Money where the mouth is.

Indefa

Smash Apprentice
These ones really get me:
>When you see an opening you can just perform X zero to death combo and win the stock.
>Combos are not escapable.
>There is no DI in Smash 64.

I suppose you can argue that the last one is true but I consider SDI a form of DI, therefore DI is in the game. A lot of us just say DI when watching/playing matches. Perhaps when commentating matches we should make sure to say "great SDI from..." to stop confusion for melee/newer players?

Last edited:

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
-ness is top tier

These ones really get me:
>When you see an opening you can just perform X zero to death combo and win the stock.
>Combos are not escapable.
>There is no DI in Smash 64.

I suppose you can argue that the last one is true but I consider SDI a form of DI, therefore DI is in the game. A lot of us just say DI when watching/playing matches. Perhaps when commentating matches we should make sure to say "great SDI from..." to stop confusion for melee/newer players?
calling it SDI wouldn't make a lot of sense, it's adding the "smash" qualifier to distinguish it from something that doesn't exist with the name of an input from a macro stick we don't have :p

Last edited:

asianaussie

Smash Hero
meanwhile australians be cradling their PAL versions of 64 and holding back tears

'don't worry, you don't have to be 60fps like the other kids, you're special, got it? i love you for making link indiscernably better, don't let social norms and melee players get you down'

Annex

Smash Ace
-calling it SDI wouldn't make a lot of sense, it's adding the "smash" qualifier to distinguish it from something that doesn't exist with the name of an input from a macro stick we don't have :p
Calling it DI makes even less sense though. It's confusing in that it's both the name of an unrelated mechanic from other games and also that it doesn't describe what it does in this game
Calling it SDI may be incorrect but it at least describes its function to other smash players, which is the point
PI (or something like it) would be probably the best thing to do though

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
Calling it DI makes even less sense though. It's confusing in that it's both the name of an unrelated mechanic from other games and also that it doesn't describe what it does in this game
Calling it SDI may be incorrect but it at least describes its function to other smash players, which is the point
PI (or something like it) would be probably the best thing to do though
What the hell are you speaking about

Directional Influence

I press a direction, my trajectory is influenced.

How is that unrelated ?

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
because your trajectory isn't influenced. only your position just before being launched is influenced
If you wan't to get really really technical, the trajectory of the Characters could be defined as two parametric curves that depends of time, with an arbitrary reference point as the (0,0) of our system. If the initial position changes then the parametric curves wouldn't be the same because the reference point would be in a new (a,b) point, meaning that our curves would be transposed in a/cos(theta) and b/sin(theta) units, respectively.

Obviously i manipulated the info in the way i needed because we could define the trajectory as a single function depending of n parameters (Damage, BKB, KBG, Weight,etc) and in that case the initial position wouldn't affect anything. Both are valid

But heh, being an smart ass doesn't help at all, everyone understands the term Directional Influence, we shouldn't change that because technicisms

Last edited:

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
I mean why should we change a term to have it make more sense to melee players in the first place though

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
I mean why should we change a term to have it make more sense to melee players in the first place though
Because technically it's not the same mechanic as their "get out of combo" mechanic. This is pretty similar to the smash 4 community arguing whether they should change the name of their mechanic to "vector influence" before their mechanic got patched back to actual DI.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Thread title:
Changing what people think of smash 64

What you all are doing:
Creating an image to the other smash communities that you hate them and their game, when in reality, they are likely the only players who would even potentially be interested in this game in the first place.

Good job guys.

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Thread title:
Changing what people think of smash 64

What you all are doing:
Creating an image to the other smash communities that you hate them and their game, when in reality, they are likely the only players who would even potentially be interested in this game in the first place.

Good job guys.
melee players do this all the time and they're doing ok

Zantetsu

Smash Master
melee players do this all the time and they're doing ok
Yeah, but they're successful for other reasons as well. That's silly to even bring up, it's almost irrelevant to the point I'm trying to get across.

If you're a player of another smash game, and you come into a thread that is titled "Changing what people think of smash 64" and see these responses, does it look very welcoming? Aren't a good chunk of these posts being counter productive? Just because "another community does it" doesn't make it right. I'm not trying to defend their actions whatsoever.

Yes, Melee gets away with a lot of bad publicity, but luckily for them, their game is incredibly popular. They still attract many players. As for SSB64, not so much. It's crucial that we have the appearance of a welcoming community if we want to have more players play this game, and if we want to be taken more seriously. The purpose of a thread titled "Changing what people think of 64" obviously implies that the OP wants to expand the game to more players, and I think a majority of us would all like to see more players enjoy the game we all love. Especially considering that anybody that would remotely be interested in our game are probably going to be players of other smash games.

That's the point I'm trying to make here, but yeah, lets just go ahead and point more fingers on how bad the Melee community is and continue to show our biased ignorance.

Last edited:

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Yeah, but they're successful for other reasons as well. That's silly to even bring up, it's almost irrelevant to the point I'm trying to get across.

If you're a player of another smash game, and you come into a thread that is titled "Changing what people think of smash 64" and see these responses, does it look very welcoming? Aren't a good chunk of these posts being counter productive? Just because "another community does it" doesn't make it right. I'm not trying to defend their actions whatsoever.

Yes, Melee gets away with a lot of bad publicity, but luckily for them, their game is incredibly popular. They still attract many players. As for SSB64, not so much. It's crucial that we have the appearance of a welcoming community if we want to have more players play this game, and if we want to be taken more seriously. The purpose of a thread titled "Changing what people think of 64" obviously implies that the OP wants to expand the game to more players, and I think a majority of us would all like to see more players enjoy the game we all love. Especially considering that anybody that would remotely be interested in our game are probably going to be players of other smash games.

That's the point I'm trying to make here, but yeah, lets just go ahead and point more fingers on how bad the Melee community is and continue to show our biased ignorance.
this is pretty far down on the long list of reasons that the 64 community is unwelcoming to outsiders and you'd be crazy to think otherwise rofl

trust me, i'm the last person around here that needs to be lectured on this :)

Last edited:

Indefa

Smash Apprentice

I agree with you about being more welcoming as it's the best way to grow the community but the title of the thread was not the question that OP asked. He was asking about 64 stereotypes that are commonly seen/heard and how they should be challenged more so there is not so much misinformation about the game.

Yeah there have been a bunch of people in this thread saying how some melee players have said something silly about the game but I didn't take the tone of the thread as "stupid uninformed melee/s4 players!", just people venting frustration over the assumptions some people make about 64. I don't think most people here think negatively of the communities in the other smash games.....at least I hope not :S

Last edited:

rosetta_stoned

Smash Apprentice
Playing melee has sped up my tech skill, spacing, and movement in 64, and 64 has helped my tech chasing, DI, and spacing in melee. Saying that the skills don't cross over is whack, especially if you are playing with a gc adapter.

The games are very similar once you adjust for the differences in shields, grabs, l cancelling, and ledges. Don't let fireblaster convince you otherwise with his false trusims.
Was curious if you mained ness in melee or someone else.

oZzIIgk

Smash Journeyman
"64 has no hype" - melee friends
Have your Melee friends ever played 64, haha? Stage-based combos are seriously I N T E N S E.
EDIT: Also, I went to a Smash 4/PM/Melee event yesterday, and 64 ended up being the most played game when one guy brought his N64.

Last edited:

Antwon420

Smash Apprentice
Have your Melee friends ever played 64, haha? Stage-based combos are seriously I N T E N S E.
EDIT: Also, I went to a Smash 4/PM/Melee event yesterday, and 64 ended up being the most played game when one guy brought his N64.
Yeah they play 64 with me. I usually destroy them though cause they aren't as good as me so that might have an effect on their mind set about the game

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
I agree with you about being more welcoming as it's the best way to grow the community but the title of the thread was not the question that OP asked. He was asking about 64 stereotypes that are commonly seen/heard and how they should be challenged more so there is not so much misinformation about the game.

Yeah there have been a bunch of people in this thread saying how some melee players have said something silly about the game but I didn't take the tone of the thread as "stupid uninformed melee/s4 players!", just people venting frustration over the assumptions some people make about 64. I don't think most people here think negatively of the communities in the other smash games.....at least I hope not :S
considering im part of all of them i feel like im at liberty to call things as i see them about each community anyway

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
The best way to spread Smash64's beauty is simply to stream it at more events.

I remember the Apex 2015 twitch chat being full of people commenting on how they expected something completely different and were actually hyped over the neutral and combos and wondered why it wasn't streamed more and wanted to pick it up. As always, the best way to show people they're wrong is just to give them experience with what they're wrong about. Most people spouting the Pikachu only, 0-death, no items meme just picked it up from places like 4chan or reddit and have never actually played the game at any level or watched it competitively.

Last edited:

Indefa

Smash Apprentice
considering im part of all of them i feel like im at liberty to call things as i see them about each community anyway
You absolutely are :) I didn't mean for my reply to Zantetsu to mean you can't have your say.

Last edited:

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Yeah we're so ignorant, not like the players of other games-

How else are you supposed to use it, then? You have to hold it with the left prong if you're holding it with two hands unless you want to look dumb and hold it by the center and right prong. It's just too awkward to be comfortable.
This thread is giving me a great compilation of "Stupid **** that non-64 players say".

EDIT:

Last edited:

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
This thread is giving me a great compilation of "Stupid **** that non-64 players say".
Now that should be a thread

I go on that forum for Karma. In terms of actual discussion, people use the subreddit) for the games. It's a bit better. (though the 64 subreddit is super inactive anyway.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I just can't get into melee for some reason. :S I've tried playing it several times, and I didn't find it engaging or fun really.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I think i got into it due to the community. I originally got into melee due to the people. Same applies for 64 (I mean I played it when it came out but I got into it a lot more due to people)

The game came second.

Last edited:
Top Bottom