• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Changing to shield art mid combo

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSz-63Ouy6M

During several bayo combos in this video, Darkwolf switches to shield art mid combo and escapes. This always seemed to happen during bayo's witch twist.

Does anyone have any insight into when exactly shulk can and cannot switch monado arts? My current theory is that he can cancel the last couple frames of non tumble hitstun but I really have no idea. I think all the hits on witch twist true combo so I dont think its just getting mashed out.

Last edited:

"Bn"

Smash Cadet
Isle of Wight. It's in England by the way......
I could be very wrong here and would love it if someone could correct/verify but I believe he can switch during all hitstun, regular and paralyze (ZSS, Corrin). Grabs and throw animations, along with burials are pretty much the only instances that I can think of where he can't switch.

Basically, what you're seeing here is shield art negating almost all knockback and hitstun, allowing Shulk to escape true combos and kill confirms if the player is quick enough. You can even switch to shield during rapid jabs and switch to smash after the last hit and still have frame advantage, it's kinda scary now that I think about it...........

Oh!!!! Happy new year, at home sick so just smashing :-)

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
Basically, what you're seeing here is shield art negating almost all knockback and hitstun, allowing Shulk to escape true combos and kill confirms if the player is quick enough. You can even switch to shield during rapid jabs and switch to smash after the last hit and still have frame advantage, it's kinda scary now that I think about it...........
so i tested this , and i think you can only change if you open the wheel before you are hit. you cant open the wheel during any hitstun. The reason you can change monado during bayo up b, is because it doesnt actually true combo into its own multi hits. The combo counter is broken by 2 frames.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
This has been a thing since smash 4. Shield art lets you escape quite a lot of combos that are otherwise almost airtight. If you switch to it in the middle of getting boned at low percents it's just a lot harder for your opponent to follow up because of what bn said, and you can interrupt with counter or n-air sooner than anyone would usually expect.

Considering shield art doesn't usually see much use before Shulk is at kill percent, using it to break out of combos or just keep your opponent honest/slow down the pace of the match is a pretty good idea.

Last edited:
Top Bottom