• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Changing Color Effects in Melee!

LuCKy

Smash Master
Purple shine-

Just ripped this directly from tatahackpack. I made sure to render it with the best settings available.
[Download here]
[edit: should I have posted this somewhere else??]
Is there any way to get this purple shine and the purple firefox that Lanceinthepants posted on one EfFxData.dat file? SUPER DOOPER PLZ

-Edit OMG this changes the lasers as well LOL

Purple Shine / Purple Firefox / light blue lasers for fox and falco?

Last edited:

tatatat0

Smash Journeyman
Is there any way to get this purple shine and the purple firefox that Lanceinthepants posted on one EfFxData.dat file? SUPER DOOPER PLZ

-Edit OMG this changes the lasers as well LOL

Purple Shine / Purple Firefox / light blue lasers for fox and falco?
I am a bit lazy right now so link me directly to the posts of the purple firefox and blue lasers and I'll do it.

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
Similar question as Lucky but can someone combine Rainbow Shine, Purple FireFox, Green Fox Lasers, and Blue Falco Lasers into a EfFxData.dat file for me?

NS23

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
SLOK#533
Is it possible to have Fox's Up-B one color (lets say blue), and Falco's another (lets say green)? Or do they have to be the same?
EDIT: I asked around, the answer is that they all have to be the same.

Last edited:

NS23

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
SLOK#533
REQUEST:
Could someone make a purple (not the dark purple as seen earlier in this thread, I'm thinking of a lighter and brighter purple) Firefox, and a pink side-B?

HumanMeatPuppet

Smash Cadet
The Mario coin pummel and Bowser fire f-smash links no longer work. Does anyone have those files on hand by any chance?

Also, would it be possible for Doc to have a different tornado color than Mario? I'm just wondering if it's like Fox and Falco's recoveries where they share the same file.

oscat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlnklngmars
3DS FC
0318-9801-6641
Question:
Does changing color effects cause desyncs on netplay like when you change textures?

tatatat0

Smash Journeyman
Question:
Does changing color effects cause desyncs on netplay like when you change textures?
I would assume so. It changes the character files. I don't even know what the cause of the textures causing desynchs are, but it should be the same.

DRGN

Technowizard
Question:
I would assume so. It changes the character files. I don't even know what the cause of the textures causing desynchs are, but it should be the same.
Texture changes cannot cause desyncs. Effect changes shouldn't either if they're static changes to a simple hex color or something, but I suppose one might if it's a more complex ASM code that's being run to do it. But probably most easily fall within the former category.

tatatat0

Smash Journeyman
Texture changes cannot cause desyncs. Effect changes shouldn't either if they're static changes to a simple hex color or something, but I suppose one might if it's a more complex ASM code that's being run to do it. But probably most easily fall within the former category.
I really wonder to what extent modifications affect the random number generator or cause desynchs. For example, I've changed marth's tipper hitboxes effects from slash to darkness, which in normal gameplay should do absolutely nothing (I believe slashed effects give away DI or something like that, it was something complicated though and I don't remember much), but it did in fact cause desynchs. This presents to me two options, the effects actually have secret functions that we don't know of, or somehow it is tied into the RNG. Achilles1515 Achilles1515 Know anything about this?

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
I really wonder to what extent modifications affect the random number generator or cause desynchs. For example, I've changed marth's tipper hitboxes effects from slash to darkness, which in normal gameplay should do absolutely nothing (I believe slashed effects give away DI or something like that, it was something complicated though and I don't remember much), but it did in fact cause desynchs. This presents to me two options, the effects actually have secret functions that we don't know of, or somehow it is tied into the RNG. Achilles1515 Achilles1515 Know anything about this?
Yeah, changing hitbox effects will cause desyncs, because it changes the outcomes of physics interactions. oscat mentioned color effects though, so I think he means things like laser/shine colors, lightning bolt colors, etc. (basically model parts or textures that are colored by a static/unchanging values within the game), which wouldn't affect the running or syncing of the game at all.

Something like the Rainbow FD code might be a different case though, because rather than a value that's simply read, it's actually a code that's run, which means one game (assuming only one of them has this enabled) is now going through more/different lines of code than the other. I don't know the specifics on how the game or emulator might ignore or compensate for that kind of difference.

tatatat0

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, changing hitbox effects will cause desyncs, because it changes the outcomes of physics interactions. oscat mentioned color effects though, so I think he means things like laser/shine colors, lightning bolt colors, etc. (basically model parts or textures that are colored by a static/unchanging values within the game), which wouldn't affect the running or syncing of the game at all.

Something like the Rainbow FD code might be a different case though, because rather than a value that's simply read, it's actually a code that's run, which means one game (assuming only one of them has this enabled) is now going through more/different lines of code than the other. I don't know the specifics on how the game or emulator might ignore or compensate for that kind of difference.
To my knowledge most hitbox effects do absolutely nothing, is the descriptions of them leaving information out? Or is it that it somehow runs lines of code differently and that messes it up. This almost bothers me as much as the most important question ever.

DRGN

Technowizard
To my knowledge most hitbox effects do absolutely nothing, is the descriptions of them leaving information out? Or is it that it somehow runs lines of code differently and that messes it up. This almost bothers me as much as the most important question ever.
Just to be clear, when I said hitbox effects, I meant like fire/electric/darkness, etc, not the graphics that appear with some of them.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
One game would run through a function to produce a character aura (darkness), and the other game would not be running through this code = desync

Mecinimi

Smash Rookie
Does anyone know what the offset is for the sparkle at the beginning of Fox's Illusion (seen here)? I see in this video from 2011 that someone has found it. Actually, based on earlier comments, I believe that the uploader of this video is a former roommate of Lanceinthepants? Any help would be appreciated!

P.S. If no one knows where it is what should my course of action be? Going through the PlFx.dat and EfFxData.dat files testing every color format (07 07 07, 98 ## ## ##, 42 48, and CF ##)?

Last edited:

tatatat0

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone know what the offset is for the sparkle at the beginning of Fox's Illusion (seen here)? I see in this video from 2011 that someone has found it. Actually, based on earlier comments, I believe that the uploader of this video is a former roommate of Lanceinthepants? Any help would be appreciated!

P.S. If no one knows where it is what should my course of action be? Going through the PlFx.dat and EfFxData.dat files testing every color format (07 07 07, 98 ## ## ##, 42 48, and CF ##)?
That would seem like the logical thing to do.

Rasko

Smash Apprentice
Would it be possible to have the menu hand outline color dependent on which player port it is?

EDIT: where is the offset for fox and falco lasers? I can't find it
EDIT2: Forget my first edit, I found it

Last edited:

Zeus_Da_master

Smash Journeyman
Here are my first effect mods using this great tutorial. Blue and yellow laser and shine, bcuz Sweden.

For some reason when I use the laser in 20XX it only works when playing NTSC Falco. PAL Falco still has the red laser. Can anyone explain this? The shine works for both.

Laser download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/5s76ssmvxv78qc7/PlFc.dat

Shine download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ine66t6j26hutu1/EfFxData.dat

Purple shine download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/1jtnte6d5qf11a1/EfFxData(2).dat
nice... how do i get it to be for foxes lazers too?

xXadevs2000Xx

Smash Apprentice
For some reason all of the color effects I have modded so far work completely fine on dolphin, but when I boot the iso in Nintendont effects such as lasers, sword swings and other things don't work (revert back to their original effects).
Any idea why and how to resolve this?

Vourdeox

Smash Rookie
I took it upon myself to fix something that was bugging me with the Dark purple firefox/firebird modification. I noticed that the firefox flame texture was jagged and lacked the transparency the original had. I can tell that this was a mistake in how the texture was edited, so I took the original texture and edited the hue in photoshop to match the purple colour theme. This resulted in a much cleaner texture more in line with the look of the original.

Here's a before and after comparison:

Tested on dolphin and console.
Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/modbox8bezzlcy1/PurpleFirefox2.0.7z

Kind of an odd first post, but I guess something had to bring me out of lurking. I'm hoping to get more into melee modding as it seems really fun. Hopefully this is appreciated.

Original download:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/svapzmoswt13xpx/PurpleDark_Firefox1.rar

Credit:
Lanceinthepants Lanceinthepants for creating the original

Zeus_Da_master

Smash Journeyman
I took it upon myself to fix something that was bugging me with the Dark purple firefox/firebird modification. I noticed that the firefox flame texture was jagged and lacked the transparency the original had. I can tell that this was a mistake in how the texture was edited, so I took the original texture and edited the hue in photoshop to match the purple colour theme. This resulted in a much cleaner texture more in line with the look of the original.

Here's a before and after comparison:

Tested on dolphin and console.
Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/modbox8bezzlcy1/PurpleFirefox2.0.7z

Kind of an odd first post, but I guess something had to bring me out of lurking. I'm hoping to get more into melee modding as it seems really fun. Hopefully this is appreciated.

Original download:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/svapzmoswt13xpx/PurpleDark_Firefox1.rar

Credit:
Lanceinthepants Lanceinthepants for creating the original
that does look better, (y) ......i guess i cant do the facebook coding here... anyways thumbs up

Last edited:

L.O.S.T.30-3

Smash Cadet
Darkness
(Hyperlinks below are pictures)
Purple and black shine.
Purple and black select hand.
Purple and black re-spawn platform.
Falco's down air now has a darkness effect (also applied it to fox's up-smash).
Clouds turned to purple some mixed with black (if you don't know what I mean refer to Goatlinks posts above).
Purple lasers for both fox and falco.
Illusion/Phantasm changed to purple for fox and falco.
Charging smashes has darkness effect.
Also has the darkness up-b that lance made.
EDIT: Forgot about Marth with Purple and Black Sword Trail (also has darkness effect on down air and neutral B).

-/*\- Download -/*\-
I don't want to double post so...

I was trying to get 990099 into RGBY format, but I must have done something wrong because what I did freezes the game.
Here is the Calculation
R: 153/8 = 19 * 1024 = 19456 >> 4C00

G: 0/8 = 0 * 32 = 0 >> 0

B: 153/8 = 19 >> 13

x4C00 + x0 + x13 = x4C13

x4C13 + x8000 = *[(CC13)]* << I put that in for the lasers and it ended up freezing my game, help would be appreciated.
When I try to import the MnSIChr.usd using DTW my iso rebuilds and won't play. I really dig that select hand but I don't know how to fix it.

Edit: The problem is I'm trying to install it in 20XX.

Last edited:

TopJimmy

Smash Rookie
Howdy, this might be a stupid question:
But does this only work on Dolphin or can you do this on the wii/homebrew.

YershiBear

Smash Rookie
How do I use the Effect Changer program? I'm just utterly confused at what everything is, especially the offsets. Also, if I want to put one of the .dat files I edit into a .iso, how would I do that?

The Shadow

Smash Apprentice
You'll have to use a little intuition and use that hex editor to locate what you need. Don't let the first page discourage you you gotta read it!

In your gcr you can select your .iso, and find your .dat file that you wanna replace, then [Right-Click -> Import] the new one.

If that doesn't work fail safe it by just rebuilding a new one with it in the root folder.

NoNeedForGreed

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, long time lurker here, but usually just character skin mods. Now my question is - is there any way to easily get these texture modsto the 20xx 4.05 PAL versions of characters? Or could anyone do that for me for Fox, Falco and Marth from this post? I'd be so grateful!

Darkness
(Hyperlinks below are pictures)
Purple and black shine.
Purple and black select hand.
Purple and black re-spawn platform.
Falco's down air now has a darkness effect (also applied it to fox's up-smash).
Clouds turned to purple some mixed with black (if you don't know what I mean refer to Goatlinks posts above).
Purple lasers for both fox and falco.
Illusion/Phantasm changed to purple for fox and falco.
Charging smashes has darkness effect.
Also has the darkness up-b that lance made.
EDIT: Forgot about Marth with Purple and Black Sword Trail (also has darkness effect on down air and neutral B).
-/*\- Download -/*\-

I don't want to double post so...

I was trying to get 990099 into RGBY format, but I must have done something wrong because what I did freezes the game.
Here is the Calculation

R: 153/8 = 19 * 1024 = 19456 >> 4C00

G: 0/8 = 0 * 32 = 0 >> 0

B: 153/8 = 19 >> 13

x4C00 + x0 + x13 = x4C13

x4C13 + x8000 = *[(CC13)]* << I put that in for the lasers and it ended up freezing my game, help would be appreciated.

AAAAAA

Smash Cadet
Found out some more stuff about the "RBGY" format...

First of all, the colors are 16-bit. This means that there are only 31 possible brightness increments for any of the 3 primary colors (RGB). I'm sure most of you are used to working with 255 possible increments, and you simply have to divide by 8 and round down to get the 16-bit equivalent.

Black is x8000, and that's where we're going to be working from.

For every brightness increment of blue, you simply have to add 1 (hex) to the base (x8000), with the maximum being 80 1F.

For each increment in red, you add x0400, the maximum being FC 00.

For green, add x0020, with a maximum of 83 E0.

Using this information you can convert any typical RGB values for use:

Red = (R/8), round down, multiply by 1024 -> convert to hex
Green = (G/8), round down, multiply by 32 -> convert to hex
Blue = (B/8), round down -> convert to hex

Add all the values together, add x8000, and that's your RGBY value.

I'm not sure what the 8000 controls, it might be transparency.

I bet this color stuff is actually really well documented and I just wasted a bunch of time testing and writing this up. :yeahboi:

----------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------

To give an example, let's try and find the RGBY equivalent of everyone's favorite color, Magus Purple.

R: 186
G: 176
B: 255

Convert the colors into 16-bit...

186 ÷ 8 = 23.25
176 ÷ 8 = 22
255 ÷ 8 = 31.875

We always round fractions down, so here's our 16-bit result:

R: 23
G: 22
B: 31

Now we need to multiply.

R: 23 × 1024 = 23552
G: 22 × 32 = 704
B: 31

Convert to hex...

R: 23552 → 5C00
G: 704 → 2C0
B: 31 → 1F

Add them together, and add x8000 to get the final value.

x5EDF + x8000 = xDEDF

Keep in mind that you do lose color information by converting to 16-bit. This loss isn't really noticable unless you're working with a gradient, though. Here is Magus purple along with its 16-bit counterpart:

Magus purple is on the left side, the 16-bit color is on the right. Not too big of a difference.

I Converted a light red color (R 255, G 153, B 153,) into hex and got Fe73 which was an orange color.

R 255 ÷ 8 = 31 31 X 1024 = 31744 Convert to hex = 7C00

G 153 ÷ 8 = 19 19 X 32 = 608 Convert to hex = 260

B 153 ÷ 19 19 Convert to hex = 13

7C00 + 260 + 13 = 7E73
7e73 + 8000 = Fe73

Did i do something wrong?

The Skye Guy

Smash Rookie
Does anybody know how to make the fire particle effect blue, and make Roy's sword trail a dark blue? That would so great, because I don't have access to a hex editor and I've been trying to get one to no avail. I've tried multiple, including HxD. Thanks guys, sorry.

AAAAAA

Smash Cadet
Does anybody know how to make the fire particle effect blue, and make Roy's sword trail a dark blue? That would so great, because I don't have access to a hex editor and I've been trying to get one to no avail. I've tried multiple, including HxD. Thanks guys, sorry.
Are you using windows?

The Skye Guy

Smash Rookie
Are you using windows?
Yes, and I also have access to a Mac. My reasons are a bit confidential, and unfixable. All that needs to be shared is that within the foreseeable future I can't get a Hex Editor. I really do hate to be a burden to everyone here, but posting a request is my last resort. Please understand.

AAAAAA

Smash Cadet
Yes, and I also have access to a Mac. My reasons are a bit confidential, and unfixable. All that needs to be shared is that within the foreseeable future I can't get a Hex Editor. I really do hate to be a burden to everyone here, but posting a request is my last resort. Please understand.
What happens when you try to use HxD? i use it and I have windows 10.

The Skye Guy

Smash Rookie
I'm not on Windows 10, I'm on Windows 8. It's not that I have an error running it, it's that I have an error installing it.

Top Bottom