• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Changes to the Tournament Feature

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Tournaments as a feature have been with us since Melee, and I thought to myself: how do we spice it up a little?

So I've thought of a few ideas:

1) Tournament-exclusive Victory themes

Now obviously, the Victory themes are diverse and play whenever a character wins. Mario with his 'Level Cleared' theme, Shulk with his excerpt from 'You Will Know Our Names', Cloud with that famous victory fanfare from FF. We've all heard 'em. So how about this: give them each their own Tourney Victory themes. For example: Mario can get his 'World Cleared' theme (The one that plays when you defeat Bowser at the end of a world), Link could get an excerpt from the BotW Switch Presentation Trailer and Ryu could get the final few notes of his Suzaku Castle theme from Street Fighter 5: Arcade Edition.

2) Additional Tournament modifications

These might not be for competitive players, but they could be fun. One idea is that during a bracket, the winner would gain a card to use to sabotage other competitors. For example, a 50% damage handicap card, a card that swaps a player's character with another or a card that reverses an opponent's controls. Before a bracket begins, the target fighter must be stuck with that card's effects for the remainder of the bracket. There's a catch however: if the affected player actually wins the match, they'll receive TWO cards and use them both before the semi-finals.

Another example could be that, say, the tournament starts off with the Ore Club, then the next bracket uses the Lip's Stick, all the way up to the Final Battle, where their only weapon is banana peels.

A third example is that each fighter per round gets Assist Trophies, PokeBalls, Breidabliks or Core Crystals (The latter two aren't confirmed yet, but let's say they're in), and they must remain with each of them until the end of their round. Each player can only summon one Assist character, Pokemon, Hero or Blade per match.

3) Medals

Unlike in SSB4, Tournaments could be played both offline and online, but online will have a unique function to them: Medals. Medals are like Global Smash Power from the last game, but you gain access to higher-level tournaments the more medals you accumulate, not to mention Medals are exclusive to Tournaments. Medals also give you a large amount of gold to be used to purchase Trophies when if win one. Tournaments can be held by players regardless of Medal count, but only players in the range of Medals the host has can join. Like for example, a player in the 40-49 Medal range can't enter a tournament made by a player in the 1-10 Medal range.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
These are all nice suggestions.

But all I want I want is for it to work off line and to be large enough to hold every character, even if that means 128 positions.

Top Bottom