• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Change Squirtle

snubbaluba

Smash Rookie
So I'm relatively new to PM but have been absolutely loving it and have found Squirtle to be too much fun not to main.

But basically I've been exploring the hell out of him over the past few weeks and have had some frustrations with him. After exploring those frustrations I've found most of them to be pretty justifiable (like originally wondering why bubbles have so much aerial lag after, but seeing how having less could make it an absolute OP move, etc, etc).

But the one thing I still see no reason to be this crappy is his crawl attack. Like it's not a bad move by any means, I've found it to have a tonne of uses, but it's just so damn hard to actually do.

Like it's not hard to do the move just standing there, you simply crouch and then crawl attack, but it seems almost impossible to use properly in combos. For example, I've been exploring some throw follow-ups on mario and fox lately trying out a tonne of ways to follow up. But whenever you try to do the crawl attack immediately after whatever movement/moves you've been doing, he is more likely to forward/down tilt or dash attack.

So am I missing something? or is this move just crappy to use in succession of other moves? I get that forward tilt has its 3 directions, and that this move is supposed to be done while crouching, and that the control stick angle for it has to be stuffed between the two tilts, but it seems like the only way to use it consistently in combos is to give squirtle a sec to fully crouch and then do it. Thoughts? Do I just need a more accurate controller or is this crap?

As a side note: if you could properly fast-fall squirtle's side b, I feel like that would significantly improve his kit.

TL;DR Squirtles crawl attack is hard to do. wtf.

Last edited:

NTG

Smash Cadet
Lmao. Wavedashes were hard when you were just starting out too. Just have to get used to it. If you think that input is hard, you'll hate working out his c-stick pivot smashes. Crawl attack is fine.

snubbaluba

Smash Rookie
i donno, maybe I just suck at it, but I feel like that's not the main factor involved. I was playing around on 1/4 speed training with it, and found that depending on the previous attack/movement before trying crawl, I would have to point the stick differently some times to get it to work. For example, if crawl attack is 225 degrees on the stick, after some attacks it only crawls if the stick is at about 250 degrees, otherwise it Dash attacks, etc.

Maybe I didn't explain myself well enough. I'm not annoyed because it's hard, I'm annoyed because it's needlessly hard and inconsistent. It would be faster and more fluid if you never had to wait on a crouch for the move. Maybe my controller is just too worn for this to be consistent, but I see no reason why the move should be restricted to crouch when waiting for it gives the opponent time for a combo breaker.

Verduyn

Smash Cadet
Ctilt is super good as a kill setup. Ctilt > Usmash is Squirtle bread and butter for getting kills

snubbaluba

Smash Rookie
Ctilt is super good as a kill setup. Ctilt > Usmash is Squirtle bread and butter for getting kills
Are you saying because it's good it should stay the way it is? Or that it's just simply a good move, because I completely agree that it's setups are incredible. When it gets linked into a solid combo it's a tonne of fun.

Cloudburst

Smash Cadet
You just need to become more comfortable with the action / stick movement. We do need a bit of time to begin crawling before we can do our crawl attack, which makes sense. You'll get it.

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
S snubbaluba
Just tested. You have to be crawling for 7 frames before it registers a crawl attack. I tested standing, after a wavedash, and after a jab. Holding down and forward in that notch, waiting for at least 7 frames of crawl, then pushing A lead to a crawl attack. No need to go in 1/4 speed either, debug is vastly superior in every way.

:054::054:

Top Bottom