• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Champion of the Underworld: Deathborn for Smash 4 ~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470

F-Zero GX's own villain, Deathborn.
He drives the "Dark Schneider" and is numbered "00".

He is the main villain of F-Zero's latest game (2003).
He could have a good potential moveset.

Better villain than Black Shadow? Yes, Deathborn makes Black Shadow shudder with fear. Power of Deathborn is great, he holds Black Shadow with 1 hand only.

Colours ~

[Insert Moveset Here]
I will add moveset ideas from whoever comes up with it.

~ Deathborn's Hell Riders ~
Crap-Zapper ~ Erotic&Heretic ~​

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Presumably much like Gannon's but with more focus on brutality, a bit more speed and maybe a touch of telekinesis. Deathborn doesn't race to win, he races to kill. That much should be reflected in his moveset.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Well, even if it means Ganondorf finally get a real Ganondorf moveset, it would be bad if Deathborn get a Falcon clone moveset. But yes, it's obvious is would be brutal.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
^
That could help a lot, but as you see, Smash is full of semi-clones. Even that can be tweaked on and make them feel unique (Mario & Luigi for example).
But I like what "Ryuu Seika" said.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
It would just be bad if he gets a "Deathborn punch", "Deathborn Kick" and all. But as Captain Falcon looks like a parody of super heroes, Deathborn must be brutal parody of supervillain, so nothing too different from Falcon!

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Fixed ~

But Honestly, I think a mix Between both or what about him using both hands?

ryuu seika

Smash Master
His Up B should definitely be a choke hold version of the Doug Hug, maybe ending with a (mostly) downwards throw rather than an explosion and gaining a little less height to balance out the increased kill potential.
Soul wave would indeed fit him but for some reason I'm thinking of Darth Sidius' move where he has lightning between his two hands and, after having to forcibly pull them apart until they're by his sides, the lightning splays outward just a little.

Also, the lava, dragon bones and mines that make up his home turf should feature in his character. Or, at the very least, make up a more hazardous version of final destination.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I like the ideas, keep them coming.

The Soul Wave does fit him a lot. What if the Soul Wave is a charging blast used by holding down the B button.
And Yeah I think the Death Hug could work as a B Up.

Maybe in a Final Smash? As you See with Falcon, he uses Mute City while driving the Blue Falcon, what if Deathborn uses the Underworld? (More ideas for Final Smash is welcome).

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Or the Soul Wave (let's call it the Death Wave) act as a counter? I like counter attacks. And it's a counter in SC, so I like it.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
But we don't know if countering is a new mechanic in the gameplay yet. I never noticed it was there. But yes, I agree, Death Wave would fit as a counter attack and would make Deathborn unique! so if counter exist or not, I would apply it to the moveset.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Well, Peach, Marth, Roy and Ike have a counter attack. But they need to get hit. A counter attack that have more knockback if Deathborn is attacked is somewhat original.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I approve that. Would make him much more original and far away as of C.Falcon Roots!

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Because of his ability to die? :troll:

For me, it's just a bull in black spandex. But he clearly is more important to the serie overall.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Yeah I still think he's the best pick for a new F-Zero rep. Deathborn is awesome and has a brutal name.
I too think he should take Ganondorf's moveset anyway, makes too much sense and he would be an easy newcomer to add.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think not. Black Shadow may have been his canine in GX but Black Shadow has bee around longer and is more recognizable. I think the anime writers picked up on that as that universe's Deathborn is revealed to be one of Black Shadow's alternate identities.

Still wouldn't be mad if he got in over Black Shadow. Just surprised.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Also, his grab should be how he lift Black Shadow in the first cutscene (and the first post)
That was what I meant with my variation on the Doug Hug.

Up B - Death Choke: Deathborn performs an open handed uppercut, carrying him upwards if in the air, and uses it to grab his opponent by the neck. This results in a brief pause where he has zero fall speed, then he discards his opponent downwards and slightly forwards. It would have slightly more reach than the Doug Hug due to the nature of the uppercut motion and also be a decent way of chucking foes offstage (though not great since they'd have full jumps from the grab) but it wouldn't actually carry him up as much, reducing its recovery use.

And a few others:

Forward B - Warp Lance: Energy crackles off of Deathborn's armour (just a visual effect) as he charges up power before teleporting forward between 1 and 2.5 times his own body width (based on charge time), at which point he immediately strikes forward with a blade/pole of lightning as used in the end scene of chapter 8 to terminate Black Shadow. Because he reappears with a weapon in hand after the warp, Deathborn cannot grab a ledge with this move. To recover with it, he must land on a platform or wait for it to end and use Death Choke.

Neutral B - Pulse Shield: Energy crackles off of Deathborn's armour (just a visual effect) as he charges up power before unleashing a spherical burst of energy. The damage and knockback of this orb depend primarily on how far from its outer limits the opponent is when hit, meaning damage increases as the charge time boosts the radius but also making the timing of the move absolutely crucial. Has a small vulnerable period afterwards to allow competent opponents to punish abuse of the move.

Down B - Lava Bomb: Works a lot like Snake's C4, except rather more visible. Not much else to say about it really.

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
And the stage:
[collapse=Hell's Gate]
[/Collapse]

A simple layout for complex gameplay, this stage is styled after a static cross section of Deathborn's underworld stage (lots of overarching bones to lessen the flat look). It's flat, like Final Destination but also abnormally wide, allowing for even more of a space based game. The powerful fire mines near the middle only add to this. Sure, they disappear on the first hit but, with their power, do you really want to be the one to take it? Furthermore, they will reappear if given long enough to do so.
Next up comes the ledges, or rather the lack thereof. This stage has no grabbable ledges, favouring the more deadly method of pouring lava over its sides. You can use this to recover but, if done wrong, it can also kill you. It's a high risk, high reward setup and potential fatality, always living on the edge of destruction is just the way Deathborn likes it.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Yes, I like the concept, but as you mention Final Destination, what about a combined feel between FD and Norfair? I think it would represent the Underworld well.

Smady

Smash Master
I can't believe I missed this support thread. There was an excellent set in Make Your Move a couple contests ago that did real well, and exemplifies what can make a great Deathborn set. I love the character and though it's incredibly unlikely due to circumstances, I'd be ecstatic if he was added over Goroh or Black Shadow for the second F-Zero rep.

Here's the moveset. What's funny about the set is it wasn't originally going to be a moveset for Deathborn, but the author changed his mind midway through development. It's so fitting when you think about it: Captain Falcon's moveset was likewise based on a random original character too.

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
He is way cooler than Black Shadown. I support him

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
After seeing Samurai Goroh become an assist trophy I decided to support both Deathborn and Black Shadow. I just want to see F-Zero get a second Rep!

anyways with his moveset I was reading his profile from F-Zero GX and came across this:

"A device installed within his body allows him to travel freely through space, making it possible for him to mysteriously appear anywhere at any time. He banishes those he dislikes to the outer limits of space, where they become drifting vagabonds for all eternity..."

Seems like he has telepathic powers so that could go into his moveset, maybe shoot dark energy projectiles? Also the profile points out he can appear at anywhere at any time so he can teleport too, however, not just himself but others as well. I think it would be cool to have him teleport other characters and when they reappear they take damage. For his final smash he could banish the other fighters to the outer limits of space and then reappear back on the stage or just ride his Dark Schneider in.

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
Hope it's not too late to sign up :substitute:

My moveset idea:
His standard attacks would deal pretty average damage. Can't think of any now.
B: High-Damaging energy ball appears around him, much like Kirby's "Shock" ability, but darker and temporary. If you hold a direction for a little, it'll more that way, kind of like how you can choose where Ness' PK Flash leans.
Side B: He thrusts forward and chokes whoever is in front of him. This would be like Ganondorf's side B (but hopefully Ganon is different by then), but he throws them down. The opponent will not be helpless, but they will not be able to react for a few frames and can still react to recover. If done on the ground, this move creates an off-the-ground effect. This is a reference to the GX cutscene where Deathborn is seen choking Black Shadow.
Up B: A very slow teleport. Deathborn can be seen entering and exiting a portal upon exit and entry. Could be very predictable. The range could be very similar to Zelda/Sheiks. This is one of Deathborn's known powers, where he can teleport to whereever he pleases. This portal could lead to "hell" and back :p.
Down B: A little burst of 3 small dark pillars come up from the ground and block opponents from approaching. They would deal low to medium damage, but force opponents backwards with minimal knockback. When done from the air, the pillars still appear, but smaller. There is no backwards force, but there is more knockback. The pillars may fall a tiny bit before disintegrating.
Final Smash: "Outer Limits". Like Marth's, Deathborn bursts forward and grabs multiple people. Then, a portal opens below them, and the appear in his version of Hell, where he runs over them in the Dark Schneider. This could be like Falcon's FS with a cool, flashy, F-Zero-esque cutscene.

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Looks like we all have roughly the same theme going on for him. Energy bursts, warping, choke holds and a "banishment" FS.

I would like to note that my Down B, the lava bomb, is a direct reference to the design of his stage, something we know about him that you all seem to have overlooked. It is implied that Deathborn has prepared the stage specially for his encounter with the captain, further suggesting that bomb placement is within Deathborn's canon arsenal.

As for what other moves he should have, the underworld champion is fond of taking quick, close range swipes at his opponents when in his vehicle and sacrificing his own health (using the bombs) to gain momentum, both of which could translate to Smash gameplay.

Maresch

Smash Cadet
NNID
Maresch
How would you guys feel if Deathborn was just an alternate costume for Black Shadow (if he got in)? Except he would have his own voice, of course, like male Wii Fit Trainer.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
You got another Deathborn supporter, he does seem like he would be far more unique than Black Shadow, but either would be awesome additions

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Hey guys, according to this list, how would Deathborn's moveset be classified? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom