• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Challenger Pack 5 can now be pre-purchased from the eShop

Challenger_Pack_5.jpg

With Ultimate making no appearance at The Game Awards, the last character in the Fighter’s Pass is mystifying all of us. All we know is that it’s estimated that they’ll be released before the end of February 2020.

Fans have noticed that Challenger Pack 5 can now be pre-purchased on the eShop. This, combined with predicting updates with unreleased amiibo and a reported GameStop list, means we may finally have the answer to the last character in the Fighter’s Pass.

Author’s Note: Who do you think Character #5 will be? Any crazy guesses? With notable links, go wild. Let us know in the comments below!

Lucas "Thirdkoopa" Guimaraes

Comments

D
Huh interesting. Hope we find out who it is soon I say KOS-MOS but I wouldn't mind being wrong.

They've only mentioned that more fighter DLC is coming after this one once. I imagine they'll need some eye-catching way to remind/assure casual fans, potential purchasers, and people that weren't blown away by Pass #1 that more is coming. I wouldn't be surprised if they hint at more than just fighter #5 for the next announcement,

They've only mentioned that more fighter DLC is coming after this one once. I imagine they'll need some eye-catching way to remind/assure casual fans, potential purchasers, and people that weren't blown away by Pass #1 that more is coming. I wouldn't be surprised if they hint at more than just fighter #5 for the next announcement,
I hope that's the case. Waiting four months just to be disappointed to find out who FP5 is wouldn't be worth the wait at all. Another character specifically the first post Season Pass character would draw in more interest from myself and everyone else watching.

Last edited:
I hope that's the case. Waiting four months just to be disappointed to find out who FP5 is wouldn't be worth the wait at all. Another character specifically the first post Season Pass character would draw in more instress from myself and everyone else watching.
There's also the fact of it being the first presentation of the new year – presumably you want to set your consumer base up for a year of excitement and speculation, rather than opening with the kind of announcement that signals the game's "winding down", so to speak.

Considering that there is a new Pokemon Direct coming this Thursday, I am going on a limb and predict that challenger #5 might be an 8th gen Pokemon.

There is a lot of interesting options for an 8th gen candidate, so this will be intriguing to see.

Considering that there is a new Pokemon Direct coming this Thursday, I am going on a limb and predict that challenger #5 might be an 8th gen Pokemon.

There is a lot of interesting options for an 8th gen candidate, so this will be intriguing to see.
I'd rather see a Gen 8 Pokémon post pass, and if we get one, I'm hoping it's Toxtricity. I'd rather see FP5 be someone shocking or legendary to end the pass with a high note.

Question: What was the gap between pre-purchase and final release for the other ones?

Except for Joker, he was shadow dropped.

Because if FP5 is up for pre-purchase right now of all times, then this should go without saying, but they're not too far off.

Last edited:
I'm not going to make any predictions, but my guilty pleasure would be Scorpion. I think that his would be an easy moveset and could be censored to fit the E10+ rating without sacrificing what makes him and his series fun.

It'll be someone that's not talked about much at all, with a novel moveset.

Who is it? Hell if I know, but I'm well aware of how these reveal patterns work by now.

It was there on Christmas when I bought the FP.
Wait, was it? If the option to prepurchase has already been around for a couple weeks, then that means it's more likely a red herring than anything. Does anyone else have evidence for or against this?

---

Either way, I wouldn't be so quick to assume Sakurai must've shot for the moon with Fighter #5, everyone. Most past reveal cycles have wound down near the end, so there's a pretty decent chance this'll be someone more low key or niche. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing--now-fan favorites like Dedede and Shulk were part of the falling action in past games.

Last edited:
Either way, I wouldn't be so quick to assume Sakurai must've shot for the moon with Fighter #5, everyone. Most past reveal cycles have wound down near the end, so there's a pretty decent chance this'll be someone more low key or niche. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing--now-fan favorites like Dedede and Shulk were part of the falling action in past games.
Exactly. My hunch is that whoever it is, they may not have had much, if any, supporters before they debuted.

Though, I think more about how the very last character in a reveal pattern or roster overall is almost always someone that's unusual in both choice and gameplay. Which can be interesting in their own right.

In any case, we got over a month and a half left for the pass deal to end and the staff is getting ever closer to running out of time...

Last edited:
This may mean a reveal is imminent (next week at the earliest, since there's a Pokemon Direct this week).

...Then again, they said all fighters would be released by February, so at this stage a reveal was "imminent" either way, since we're in January right now. Though the fact this seems intentional (and not, say, an accidental listing that reveals the fighter's identity) does raise an eyebrow. Maybe they're testing the waters for pre-ordering individual characters post-pass?

Last edited:
We're nearing the first potential time they'll announce and release a character in the same day, and we'll have no clue who it is on top of that.

Geno has the Mario symbol despite being owned by Square Enix.
And the Persona costumes all have the Persona 5 logo.
Geno is from a Mario game that's the result of a collab between Nintendo and Square Enix. Even if owned by the latter, he's still from a Mario game, so it makes sense.

Latter is just a result of the Phantom Thieves logo being chosen for the franchise logo. Like how any Xenoblade spirit who isn't from the first game still has the Monado as the icon or how literally every Fire Emblem character has Marth's Falchion even though not only Marth was the only one to wield it (Chrom and Lucina's look very different from his) but none of the other FE characters have ever fought alongside him in his own games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom