• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Challenger Approaching!!! ROY!! .PAC UP!!!! 12/7/09 at 3:36 AM EST

camelot

Smash Ace
I think the knockback for his F-smash is ok, but I think it should do a little more damage. It's just 1% more than Marth's. 17% sounds like a better number to me.

Also, I have an idea to make the tippers/flubs bigger without increasing the length of the sword. Just decrease the size of the middle/sweetspots. All of those attacks work like "if you hit with the middle, then the tip can't hit" (like, the middle has more priority over the tip). Who knows, it might work.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
It at least knocks people off the ground and somewhere. I'm trying to get it to multihit like Melee, but I'm starting to think that can't happen...
I mean, how's the recovery distance?

And if you don't make it multihit, how about just having it send people straight up? It could be a cool alternative to Marth's, and great for light characters.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I'm curious at to how you're going to change Roy's Counter. I don't remember much about his counter in Melee, other then the fact it had a set %. Is his frame count going to be between Marth's and Ike's? Like, even number of start up and cool down frames, instead of the 6/11 and 11/6 or whatever it is between Marth and Ike?

As for sound effects: one of them must be Ike's Fsmash sound effect. :bee: I love that it sounds like a cannon firing...

linkelfice510

Smash Rookie
Did you actually change the positions of Marth's sweetspots? If so, that's amazing!

Oh, and what is his Final Smash? ;)

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
I'm messing with hitbox size and locations now, but that is a while away. A week at best. I'm fine tuning the parts you guys have now.

linkelfice510

Smash Rookie
Wait there's Sword Ganondorf out there?? (No offense to the dude who made this) WHERE?!?!?!?!?!?

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Updated again. His gravity was too high. I tried giving him lower D-grav so he can still rise quickly to SHFFL, we'll see what happens. Also, I over nerfed F-smash. B-air is slightly stronger and F-air tips have a little more hitstun.

linkelfice510

Smash Rookie
That explains it then. Does that also explain why sometimes when you Usmash with someone to the left of "Roy" they don't move?

linkelfice510

Smash Rookie
Ah.

Is it possible to change Marth's FS so that Roy has his own? This is a question out of curiosity really but if it IS possible, that would be really cool

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I still think that just making his UpB give vertical KB would be the best way to fix the problem of not having it multihit.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
I know but you still haven't changed any animations like rest, its still the same guy essentially. Its just heavier Marth. Give him fire, not redness, and I might be happy for a "new character"

camelot

Smash Ace
I know but you still haven't changed any animations like rest, its still the same guy essentially. Its just heavier Marth. Give him fire, not redness, and I might be happy for a "new character"
The only animations of Roy's that were different from Marth's were his idle pose, counter, taunt, and up-b

CloneHat

Smash Champion
Somebody doesn't know what they're talking about... Might want to actually try the GCT before you complain.

I played him, and I found him to be fun, but VERY HARD TO USE. He only has 2 viable kill moves, fsmash and dair (not as much). Sometimes you can get a ridiculous combo finished by fsmash or dair, but it's hard to do due to the multiple hitboxes of utilt. He also suffers from the worst recovery in the game, a worse version of Marth's. A warlock punch from the edge of Final Destination and he's dead. Overall, he's intensely awesome, as long as you don't screw up.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Somebody doesn't know what they're talking about...

I played him, and I found him to be fun, but VERY HARD TO USE. He only has 2 viable kill moves, fsmash and dair (not as much). Sometimes you can get a ridiculous combo finished by fsmash or dair, but it's hard to do due to the multiple hitboxes of utilt. He also suffers from the worst recovery in the game, a worse version of Marth's. A warlock punch from the edge of Final Destination and he's dead. Overall, he's intensely awesome, as long as you don't screw up.
******* says what?

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Somebody doesn't know what they're talking about... Might want to actually try the GCT before you complain.

He also rediculously easy to combo ON. I'm thinking of buffing his recovery. Roy mains complain he just isn't Roy without the gravity. Oh, if you have a later set try B-air, I recently buffed it. Should be a solid KO move.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
******* says what?
How are you a Smash Debater if you can't even pay attention to what's being discussed? You can tell from the VIDEO that Roy has the fire effect added to several of his attacks.

And goodoldganon - Everybody is more floaty in Brawl+ than their Melee counterpart. Don't be afraid to lighten his gravity up a bit.

CloneHat

Smash Champion
He also rediculously easy to combo ON. I'm thinking of buffing his recovery. Roy mains complain he just isn't Roy without the gravity. Oh, if you have a later set try B-air, I recently buffed it. Should be a solid KO move.
I forgot about that! It's very strong, it spikes...but is it necessary to have no ALR?

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
I forgot about that! It's very strong, it spikes...but is it necessary to have no ALR?
I'm gonna need to adjust that. I didn't realize how easy it was to combo him and how awful his recovery was going to get with higher grav.

On the note of grav, I need more Roy mains input but I'm thinking of lightening his D-grav and giving him the high u-grav and fast fall. Of course Almas may be able to make a code that gives Up-b less gravity during it...

CloneHat

Smash Champion
I'm gonna need to adjust that. I didn't realize how easy it was to combo him and how awful his recovery was going to get with higher grav.

On the note of grav, I need more Roy mains input but I'm thinking of lightening his D-grav and giving him the high u-grav and fast fall. Of course Almas may be able to make a code that gives Up-b less gravity during it...
Somehow Link's recovery was made higher, how was that?

matt4300

Smash Ace
Ok.... I just played a whole lot with rarth then played a whole lot with actual melee roy... things I noticed

Usmash is complete ****- it spikes much to often, if you hyphen smash it it never works right and only does 9%, and if you skrew up you get punished even if it hits.

Fsmash is great leave it marths tip kills at 80 for god sakes, roys should be more powerful than marths

Hes too floaty and his short hop is 2 high (but you already know this)

Dsmash needs to do more damage (should do about 20 to 22)

if you hold down and cstick diagonal forward down you will forward tilt then glide back a bit (this is cool)

Bair tip is a meteor (VERY COOL) but has bowser amounts of landing lag...

Dair spikes- it should not spike and it has more landing lag than almost any attack in the game at this point.

I just remebered about roys danceing blade spike... that needs to be in if its not (i didnet check)

and the worst by far is his recovery is HORRIBLE like probley the worst in the game. I was getting killed at 0 and 30 percents by gannons wiz kick or ftilt. I know he should have a bad recovery because he had that in melee, but every char got a better recovery in the transition to brawl and some got even better goign into brawl + bottom line he needs more horizantal distance.

oh and dthrow fsmash tip uair chain is sexy as hell.

I only critique because I love.. this is quite possibley the coolest thing I have ever seen done with codes,(I seconded roy in melee and was very sad he wasent in brawl )and I know hes going to get much better.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Ya, I gotta fix his recovery. Are you sure his SH's are too high or his full hops and double jumps? I gave him higher full hops and double jumps as a ghetto fix to his recovery problems, but it's still really bad.

Also, agreed on U-smash. People always think the U-smash spike in Melee is cool, but it seems the tip always influences the moves angle. Another thing I gotta look into.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Which Beta version, besides the one you linked, will have this?
I don't understand the question. No official Brawlplussery set will use Roy until the other 39 characters are considered Gold worthy and we have a way to give Roy his own select screen icon. If you want to use Roy with the latest Plussery sets then you can only download him in this topic.

Top Bottom