• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Challenge Mode

FreakyVoiceDude

Smash Apprentice
I'm saving those Hammers until the very bitter end, by the time I get tempted enough to use them, the only ones left won't be breakable. Doubt any characters are stages are breakable, so I can't imagine being too crazy to use the things. At least it gives you an idea of that some of these trophies and songs need, it's a built-in FAQ. I can see just playing a night of multiplayer with some friends and breaking enough windows to get me started right off the bat.

Flipinogamer

Smash Cadet
This is exactly like Kirby Air Ride!
There is a checklist of what you need to complete.
Hints appear too if you complete certain boxes.
And you can "check a box" for free.
Purple boxes = Golden Hammers

Thi0s

Smash Apprentice
This looks pretty fun actually! And Sakurai helps us out a little with the first one!

Meta Kirby

Smash Cadet
Hooray!

It's the wild color scheme that freaks me," said Zaphod whose love affair with this ship lasted almost three minutes into the flight. "Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls that are labeled in black on a black background, a little black light lights up black to let you know you've done it."- The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

This is a wonderful, no, brilliant!! thing to put into Brawl! I loved this in Kirby Air Ride and it is brilliant to put it into Brawl! I'm just wondering whether characters and stages are listed in here. That would be great because I never wanted to go online to figure out how to get stuff but it was necessary to do so! It was still difficult in melee when I couldn't get the last two stages that I did not have! I never got to the last event match and thus never got Final Destination, and I never managed to complete the requirements for Kongo whatsit 64! It was annoying! But fighting Giga Bowser in the Adventure mode was fun.

lavamage

Smash Ace
Wisconsin...yay that place no one has ever heard o
I just want to clear a little bit up

In Kirby Air-ride, instead of a hammer, you used purple tiles to show that you completed event X. In the game, you unlocked some things, but only a select few, such as alternate colors for Kirby, and I think it was a very effective system. You also unlocked a new purple tile with some of them, 8 in total i think

Also, when you used the purple tiles they stayed on the square to show that you did not accomplish the task on your own. However, if you latter did complete it the purple tile would be removed, but you wouldn't get it back.

I think some of the rewards will just be more hammers, and perhaps when you open the up it is more crude with the hammer, perhaps jagged glass, showing you used a hammer.

I think chraracter will "Oh, but you should also know that there are some windows even a trusty Golden Hammer won’t break." be booxes you can't break.

Does anyone else think this would have been cool in like a complete 3-D sphere, you point the wii remote to scroll and stuff?

Also, does anyone else think it was strange on their part to show us the farthest edge of one of the sides? Makes this update seem a lot more limited than it actually is.

Gargomon251

Smash Journeyman
It's not so much a "mode" as it is a list of achievements; other than the hammers, nothing here really affects anything other than keeping record and giving hints. But I think it's a brilliant idea. I will probably not look at it until I have unlocked quite a few things.
Other than chars and stages, I assume the unbreakable glass will be for particularly unique tasks, such as beating the game with every character, or collecting every CD.

Iboid

Smash Apprentice
Like I said in the other thread, it reminds me of the Kirby Air Ride Check list. But I still like this idea. It'll requie less cheating with a guide or the internet, because then you get curious and look around some more at other stuff and ruin the suprises in Brawl.

shadowyoshi2345

Smash Journeyman
idc if it looks like kirby air ride or not, cause i wouldnt really know cause i never played the game, but i do like the idea of it because then you don't have to go on the internet to see how to unlock a certain trophy and it also gives you something to do right then and there for a certain purpose

Smash Apprentice
Yup, Almost EXACTLY like Kirby Air Ride.

I wish there were Golden Hammers in that game, because there were 2 goals left I couldn't beat. City Trial challenges are interesting...
Actually, they had something that worked identically to the hammers...

FreakyVoiceDude

Smash Apprentice
I imagine the grid stretches on for a few screens, there has to be a few hundred squares. The most intimidating thing will be scrolling through them all the first day. Hundreds of blue squares, with virtually no clue how to break a single one. One player mode may break about three off the bat, which leads to nine, which leads to twenty...and so on and so forth. I plan on doing 1P and a multiplayer marathon, so by the time I get to this I'll have a trail of shaded hints to follow. Trophies are nice, but my friends and I will probably shoot for CDs when given the chance.

I used to love watching how you can see more and more of the trophy room in Melee as you got more of them. This is that, times ten. Not a mode by any means, but a fun enough update to balance out filler for a week.

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
Is it ironic that there are so many Kirby Air Ride references in this game, and that is the game that made Sakurai jump ship on HAL Labs and is also probably why HAL isn't working on Brawl?...

Jahrule

Smash Rookie
Awesome! A complete rip off of Kirby Air Ride. That was was terribly underrated. This is a great system to bring back because it shows a fun, neat, and interesting way to view your unlockables as well as obtain them. In reply to lavamage, I think you would be able to scroll over more so, similar to the Wii Main menu thing.

Awesome. Awesome. And it wasn't even a character!

Gargomon251

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if it will give dates of unlocked things too, like Melee did...
well, at least it did for characters and stages....

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Wow....I don't think I've seen anything more beating-around-the-bush as this. He doesn't want to give in, does he? Sakurai doesn't want to admit to himself, no matter how unique the fighting system is, Smash is a Fighting Game.
Please Sakurai...for everyone's sake, just accept it, the VS mode is the only mode that ends up important in a fighting game. The sooner that happens, the sooner we can all live happier.
God ****.....
Yeah, SSB would be SO much better without all of this content >_>

You have no concept of what it is that makes this game series so great.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Oh, and I heard this is similar to a mode found in Kirby's Air Ride, but I'm not sure. Confirm/Deny?

Desruprot

Smash Lord
this is about challenges as the examples have shown, this is nothing like Air Raid, it is Super Smash Brothers challenges organized...

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
Ah. Great to have this mode back from the waay underrated Kirby Air Ride. It was the mode that kept you playing the game. Once you got tired of it, you'd play for fun a while, and go further again. GOTTA CATCH(GET) EM ALL!!

It also keeps you from searching on other sites on how to unlock stuff, yet this way is way slower, thus taking more time, thus giving more reasons to play Brawl. Its less fun once you have everything, you know? From there the game will mainly live on because of the (wi-fi)Brawl mode.

MAST3R

Smash Apprentice
This mode looks cool, but I wonder what challenge could be so hard that you'd have to actually use a golden hammer for?

Top Bottom