• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Challenge A1: What was it like for you?

ArticulateT

Smash Journeyman
Currently, I sit here, for about a month now, trying to complete this challenge. For those unaware, the challenge is thus:

Beat Intensity 9.0 Classic Mode without losing a single stock.

I'm attempting it as a Mii Brawler, my main, using the 2222 set. I have customisations off, so no bonuses from gear, and have the personal philosophy that if I can't beat the game with my chosen main, then it is not a victory, at least not in my eyes.

I have managed to get to the end of intensity 9.0 by itself multiple times now, and most of my problems stem from the fact that I am provably terrible as smash. I'll get there, eventually, but I feel like it is quite a distance away. I am aware of the shenanigans the game will pull to make it that much tougher, but the challenge wouldn't exist if it wasn't beatable.

For those attempting, or those completing, what was your experience like?

Meek_

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1134-9016-5234
use gear, dont be afraid to camp. don't be so hard on yourself, you're dealing with some random elements when you play cpus

Last edited:

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Look. You're dealing with crippled and ******** AI companions, cheating AI strong enough to OHKO Jigs with Raptor Boost, and the item RNG somehow favoring CPUs. It's well beyond okay to use gear.

Last edited:

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Considering that there is already a separate challenge to beat 9.0 without customizations (including equipment), I had no qualms about using equipment for the one-stock challenge in a separate run. Wario did the job for me, and later DK, as posted in other threads, but go with whomever gets the job done for you. Since my goal was already to beat all 140 challenges without spending a single hammer, I used equipment whenever feasible.

I certainly applaud any efforts to tackle challenges without equipment, but just know that the game will not reward you for abandoning equipment, other than to reward you separately for doing the 9.0 challenge without customs (which you probably have done by now, I suspect.) Personally, I'd tackle it with equipment, then later tackle without, as it will feel like more is being accomplished, rather than feeling like being stuck. For the same reasons, I didn't jump to Classic 9.0 right away with the whole cast or All-Star on Hard with everyone until I had at least beat both modes with everyone on lower difficulties. That way, I had the trophies the first time through, and later earned the challenges second time through.

If you do decide to change your mind at some point and use equipment, I used one piece of auto-heal equipment plus my two strongest defensive equipment to beat 9.0 with the entire cast. Heavier characters have a better chance of living longer, especially in the final boss battles, though some others have succeeded just as well with Ness, due to his ability to heal from some of the sword's attacks. YMMV.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I don't remember what my experience was exactly when I attempted that challenge. All I remember is beating it with customs on as Rosalina.

ArticulateT

Smash Journeyman
I have dabbled in equipment, but my decision not to use it stemmed from it causing just enough of a minor change to throw me off, resulting in me doing worse than I had before. I have no qualms with it, as compared to what is thrown at you during the classic run, it seems like a fair deal. I have tried with heavier versions of the character, but the lack of speed combined with the chosen special moves that feed off of mobility, it didn't do me too well

I simply have a problem with not being able to beat it on my chosen main character. It was a saddening fact to me when I played on the DS version, and I seemingly did better with Bowser, a character I never played before, than the Mii Brawler, a character I had played non-stop for the better part of a month by that point.

As for the challenge of doing classic without customs, I did a brief check and I don't think I have it. I think my choice of character, even with customs off, constitutes a custom character as far as the game is concerned, and has thus far not rewarded me with it.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
I suppose I can see how equipment can throw off timings, especially in the speed attribute. For me, I didn't want to penalize attack or defense for Classic mode, so speed was expendable, and has worked for beating 9.0 with the entire cast. Wario is arguably least impacted by a speed penalty, especially if you use his bike heavily, as bike speed is immune to the speed buffs or nerfs from equipment. It also comes in handy for fighting Master Core and for speeding through Master Fortress. I posted more details here a while back.

If speed alterations are still too drastic for your purposes, you could always go with a high attack approach, using only equipment which increases attack, but lowers defense. Some others have had success with this approach since the boss battles can be beaten faster, but I never liked the defense nerf, as one mistake would be too costly.

As for Mii fighters, I hadn't considered whether they count for this challenge. I just know (and have proven) that they do contribute toward "beat X challenge with Y number of fighters" but aren't required to beat "Z challenge with all characters."

ArticulateT

Smash Journeyman
I am so angry right now.

I managed to do it, with a Mii Brawler, with some bland gear, the bonuses coming up as +22 across the board. I Recorded it, found myself enthralled by the fact that I finally won... and it didn't count. Reviewing the footage later confirmed that I went the whole distance without losing a stock.

I don't think the game recognises Miis as legit characters, as despite my victory, despite completing intensity 9 classic without the loss of a stock, it didn't unlock Challenge A1. Gonna review the footage to be sure, but... yeah. I was denied the challenge completion because of my 'unfortunate choice in main.

I'll still declare it a victory for me, but... man, I am so annoyed at that.

My only other theory is that losing a team mate counts as losing a stock.

ArticulateT

Smash Journeyman
As for Mii fighters, I hadn't considered whether they count for this challenge. I just know (and have proven) that they do contribute toward "beat X challenge with Y number of fighters" but aren't required to beat "Z challenge with all characters."
Turns out you were more right about that than you thought. I don't know why it would be the case, as the game recognised my defeat of intensity 9 when I did it first time around. It seems so bizarre to me that the Miis would only count towards 'some of the game', considering my initial impression on why they weren't allowed on For Glory was their versatile move set and the prevention of offensive characters online.

The Shadow Emperor

Smash Apprentice
I'm not even going to bother with this bull**** challenge. I just don't have the patience for all the random metal/giant battles, insta-KO item drops, cheap stage gimmicks, and forced 8-player smashes to do it.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
One time I try this out with +50 all Mii brawler, and go off to a horrible start by getting gimped by a grab-> Warlock Punch. I just continue and proceed to not die again, even in 8 player smashes and Master Core. Wow.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I'm honestly probably not gonna bother with this haha. It bothers me when challenges are left incomplete but I still didn't do the boss battles in Brawl either, so I'll get over it. It would frustrate me too much.

Top Bottom